PDA

View Full Version : Number 7 & Ayce Cordy

OLD SCRAGGer
05-10-2008, 10:43 AM
Just Curious As To What You All Think

Will The Club Retire The #7 For A Year, Or Do You Think Westy Will Hand It On To Someone? And Who Do You Think Should Get It?

Also Do You Think Young Ayce Will Ask For The # 49 Of His Dad?

GVGjr
05-10-2008, 11:00 AM
I'm not too fussed with who gets the number 7 but I guess it should be a current player on the list rather than a draftee. As for Ayce, perhaps number 11 is not a bad one to start with.

LostDoggy
05-10-2008, 11:23 AM
I thought 49 might his number

LostDoggy
05-10-2008, 11:30 AM
Numunber 49 for Ayce and unless we have a suitable replacement the number seven should be retired for a few years in my opinion.

Scraggers
05-10-2008, 11:39 AM
Gary Ablett Jnr. refused the number 5 when offered to him wanting to make his own indelible mark ... I think Ayce will do the same

ledge
05-10-2008, 12:23 PM
49 isnt really a great number to have and with Ayces apparent abillity he will be better than his dad, not like he has a champ dad like G.Ablett

LostDoggy
05-10-2008, 12:31 PM
He wore 49 for Geelong u18 I think.
Nothing wrong with 49, its only a number.

The Coon Dog
05-10-2008, 12:45 PM
#49 has been worn in 135 games for the Bulldogs.

Brian Cordy 124, 1981-1988
Mick Egan 1, 1978
Ross Gallagher 3, 1975
Ian Wickson 2, 1973
Bruce Neish 1, 1972
Ike Whittaker 4, 1959

bornadog
05-10-2008, 02:46 PM
What about number one?

Bulldogs_6
05-10-2008, 03:03 PM
What about number one?

Bit tight around the arms :D:D:D

Scorlibo
05-10-2008, 05:36 PM
I'm not a big fan of "retiring" jumpers and I don't think that Westy would be either. I think he would be more inclined to hand it over to another hard working midfielder in Callan Ward. It would be quite fitting seeing as Westy started his career with the number 14 before receiving the famous number 7. IMO, it wouldn't be a knock on Darce, if they handed the number 14 on to Ayce then it would almost be a tribute, for Darce to know that he made number 14 a ruckmans number and the next generation ruckman will wear the number that he did.

Rocco Jones
05-10-2008, 05:44 PM
49 isnt really a great number to have and with Ayces apparent abillity he will be better than his dad, not like he has a champ dad like G.Ablett

Crazy thought, but maybe Ayce rates his dad for stuff outside his footy career.

bulldogtragic
05-10-2008, 05:49 PM
We have a free number 1, number 7 and number 11.

I'd like Ward to 7 (Freeing 14)
Ayce to 14
Higgins to 1 (Freeing 19)
Harbrow to 11
Grant to 19
Sam Reid to 10 (If Eagle moves on)

Desipura
06-10-2008, 09:26 AM
With Ayce's basketball background it makes sense that he he gets the number of the greatest basketballer ever no 23!

The Underdog
06-10-2008, 10:24 AM
If he wears 49 I'll get it on my jumper and he'll be my new favourite player. That's the problem with footy these days, not enough guys wearing numbers in the 40's and 50's :).

Sockeye Salmon
06-10-2008, 11:05 AM
With Ayce's basketball background it makes sense that he he gets the number of the greatest basketballer ever no 23!

Andrew Macdougall was the greatest basketballer ever?

LostDoggy
06-10-2008, 11:11 AM
I don't want to see them just giving #7 away wait until someone has earnt the right then let them have it not before.

strebla
06-10-2008, 11:16 AM
I don't want to see them just giving #7 away wait until someone has earnt the right then let them have it not before.

I understand what you are saying here Muttley but think Scott would be happy for Callan to wear the great mans jumper

Dancin' Douggy
06-10-2008, 11:29 AM
Would be nice for Doug and Westy to hand over the number together when the time comes.

Desipura
06-10-2008, 01:35 PM
Andrew Macdougall was the greatest basketballer ever?

he might have been cos he went too flash at the oval ball.

craigsahibee
06-10-2008, 02:45 PM

Is that the number Larry Sengstock wore?

westdog54
06-10-2008, 03:01 PM
he might have been cos he went too flash at the oval ball.

Beat me too it!!

What is it with the number 23?

Michael Jordan, David Beckham, Shane Warne, Dermie, Lance Franklin, what's so effin great about the number 23?

LostDoggy
06-10-2008, 03:16 PM
Beat me too it!!

Michael Jordan, David Beckham, Shane Warne, Dermie, Lance Franklin, what's so effin great about the number 23?

Warne had the Nike Sponsorship when they introduced numbers for the cricket and that's why he took on the number. You would hardly rate Franklin and Dermie up there with Jordan arguably the best player ever in his sport.

Scraggers
06-10-2008, 07:59 PM
Would be nice for Doug and Westy to hand over the number together when the time comes.

Agreed ... there is a lot of recent history behind the number seven ... it would be great to see this happen, but I don't think it should just go to anyone.

Everitt getting the number 3 was way to soon in my books; I hope he proves me wrong and shows he is worth to wear the great man's number !!

bold-dogg
07-10-2008, 06:16 PM
Beat me too it!!

On the number 23, see Arthur Koestler, William S. Burroughs, Discordianism, Jim Carrey and Throbbing Gristle. It would suggest Shane Warne and Buddy are really part of a secret alien conspiracy.

westdog54
08-10-2008, 04:10 AM
Warne had the Nike Sponsorship when they introduced numbers for the cricket and that's why he took on the number. You would hardly rate Franklin and Dermie up there with Jordan arguably the best player ever in his sport.

Was going more along the Showman line, but I take your point.

bornadog
27-11-2008, 01:17 PM
Just Curious As To What You All Think

Will The Club Retire The #7 For A Year, Or Do You Think Westy Will Hand It On To Someone? And Who Do You Think Should Get It?

Also Do You Think Young Ayce Will Ask For The # 49 Of His Dad?

Higgins to number 7, will Ayce get number 1?

Scraggers
27-11-2008, 01:55 PM
Higgins to number 7, will Ayce get number 1?

I think he will get number 1, but I would like to see him take his Dad's number

Twodogs
27-11-2008, 02:00 PM

Basketball aint much of a 'sport' though. It has none of the theatre or drama of a sport, none of the variation or ball skills associated with most sports, all you need is half decent hand/eye cordination and a willingness to sprint a lot.

I'd much rather be remembered as a great baseball player than a great basketballer.

Sockeye Salmon
27-11-2008, 02:39 PM
Basketball aint much of a 'sport' though. It has none of the theatre or drama of a sport, none of the variation or ball skills associated with most sports, all you need is half decent hand/eye cordination and a willingness to sprint a lot.

I'd much rather be remembered as a great baseball player than a great basketballer.

Basketball is poo.

It's not a skill to see a 7 ft tall bloke drop a ball in a hoop he can reach.

Scorlibo
27-11-2008, 08:23 PM

I am always particularly interested in Basketball to Football converts because they nearly always have exceptional ball handling. Basketball requires far more skill, and a wider range of skills than baseball, that's for sure.

westdog54
27-11-2008, 09:04 PM
I am always particularly interested in Basketball to Football converts because they nearly always have exceptional ball handling. Basketball requires far more skill, and a wider range of skills than baseball, that's for sure.

I wouldn't say that.

Striking a 90mph pitch with a rounded bat not much wider than the ball, that's a skill.

Pitching in baseball is a unique skill in itself.

And don't let the gloves fool you, fielding in baseball isn't child's play.

Sockeye Salmon
27-11-2008, 09:27 PM
I wouldn't say that.

Striking a 90mph pitch with a rounded bat not much wider than the ball, that's a skill.

Pitching in baseball is a unique skill in itself.

The bowlers always bowl full tosses.

They get to chuck it rather than bowl it.

Fielding with a glove is child's play.

Crap game, on a par with basketball.

Mantis
27-11-2008, 10:27 PM

One of the silliest statements I have read on here for awhile.

LostDoggy
27-11-2008, 11:39 PM

Whilst you may think Basketball isn't much of a sport; it does assist the skill levels of footballers - Baseball provides very little skill to assist footballers (hand-eye co-orindation might help).

The benefits of a basketball background can be seen more in the taller players with vertical leap, agility (in the air and at ground level), the need (or is it a willingness) to sprint - a must, quick reflexes, and of course the old hand-eye co-orindation.

Hopefully, we'll draft Jarrod Roughead (a number of phantom drafts suggest he'll be available).

Imagine, 2 ex-basketballers (Cordy & Roughead) with the above attributes, replacing the 2lumbering ruckmen we currently have, 'running' around the ground and alternating at full forward.

Players with a fast lead, the height to contest a mark in a pack, the vertical leap on top of that height to out reach their 6ft 4in full back. And if the crowd starts getting bored because we're winning by so much, they could 'dunk' the football over the goal post.

Oh hell - dreaming again - best we send the 2 young ruckmen off to do a summer season of Baseball to learn some skills - so that they can play Tennis or Golf when they retire from football at 35.
On the other hand, these 2 now-retired ruckmen, could return to Basketball, and play socially, any night of the week, at the many in-door venues around Melbourne, until they're aged 50 or so, whilst the other footballers (once they've retired from their 10 games a year of super league), are sitting on the couch watching TV.

The Underdog
27-11-2008, 11:44 PM
The bowlers always bowl full tosses.

They get to chuck it rather than bowl it.

Fielding with a glove is child's play.

Crap game, on a par with basketball.

One of the silliest statements I have read on here for awhile.

Awesome it's pick on all the other crap sports time;

Rugby has no skills, just fat necked blokes hugging
Baseball is easy cos the fielders wear gloves
Basketball should start at the last 2 minutes
Netball is for girls
American Football is slow and they wear pads so they're soft
Car racing is crap except for the crashes
Soccer doesn't have enough scoring
(Add your own below)

Oh and on topic I hope Cordy wears 49, or 1 (cos that'll suit him). Good luck to Higgo in 7.

craigsahibee
28-11-2008, 10:07 AM
Awesome it's pick on all the other crap sports time;

Rugby has no skills, just fat necked blokes hugging
Baseball is easy cos the fielders wear gloves
Basketball should start at the last 2 minutes
Netball is for girls
American Football is slow and they wear pads so they're soft
Car racing is crap except for the crashes
Soccer doesn't have enough scoring
(Add your own below)

Oh and on topic I hope Cordy wears 49, or 1 (cos that'll suit him). Good luck to Higgo in 7.

Hockey - just dumb,
Tennis - overpaid brats who have never done a hard days work in their life (some with questionable sexuality - Mark Woodforde)
Squash - don't get it
Badminton - see above
Anyone seen the slamball on ESPN. Basketball, Trampolining and Ice Hockey all rolled into one. Has there been a more ridiculous concept ever?

Twodogs
28-11-2008, 10:54 AM

What skills does basketball require?

You throw a perfectly round ball straight, with no chance of adjusting the ball in it's flight, to another person, who may either throw it back or wander up to the hoop and drop it through. Everything else to do with the game is just razzamattazz.

Where's the challenge? What's exciting or difficult about it?

I'm not a huge baseball fan but baseball is such a more skillful sport than basketball it's not in the same ballpark, it's not in the same league, it's not even the same sport(To quote Samuel L. Jackson). There's got to be 15 different variations in the way a pitcher can pitch the ball, batsman can crowd the plate or switch hit and the fielding in baseball is sublime.

Mofra
28-11-2008, 11:58 AM
Bag out other sports day, luvvit:

Baseball: Only played in North America and Japan. How the hell can they have a "world series"?
Soccer (Association Football): Yes it's popular. So are Big Macs, but that doesn't make them a gourmet meal. A slight touch sends the players to the ground like the screaming whoofters they are. Every crowd is about as well behaved as the Collingwood cheers squad. Crowds sing because the game itself is so ruddy boring (yay, two third world countries battled to a scorless tie. Again)
Basketball: Excludes 95% of the population because of height. Discriminatory.
Rugby League & Union: Can't even agree on the rules. 4 (5 in union) points for falling over? Pah-lease.
Tennis: "So creamy I can't believe it's not mixed doubles" - Tony Martin
Sailing: It's a form of transportation, not a sport. A chequebook contest only.
Ultimate fighting: We have our own version in Melbourne called "King St"
Greco-Roman Wrestling: How is this not rated R? Only slightly less gay than Julian Clary
Cycling: All lycra, shaved legs and drugs. Why not just call the sport "Sydney" and be done with it.
Curling: It's not a sport, it's bloody sweeping! Only the Canucks are good at it anyway. Still tougher than soccer.
Lacrosse: They wear pads and it's barely a contact sport.
Table Tennis: The most famous table tennis player is Forrest Gump. Enough said.
Midget Wrestling: Fun to watch, still less ridiculous than most of the sports mentioned above.

Scraggers
28-11-2008, 12:41 PM
Lacrosse: They wear pads and it's barely a contact sport.

Both my brother-in-laws played lacrosse for Australia ... you obviously have no idea what you are talking about

Mofra
28-11-2008, 01:55 PM
Both my brother-in-laws played lacrosse for Australia ... you obviously have no idea what you are talking about
I used to play lacrosse. It's a joke. Build a bridge sook.

Desipura
28-11-2008, 02:02 PM
So what number will Ayce wear? I thought I was on another website there for a minute

Scraggers
28-11-2008, 02:34 PM

Sticks and stones ...

The Underdog
28-11-2008, 02:48 PM

Sticks and stones ...

My brother's please, can't we just join hands and come together in the one belief we all share...that Ayce Cordy will soon be the premier AFL ruckman / Key Position Forward leading us onwards to years of premiership glory?

ledge
28-11-2008, 03:38 PM
Find it interesting no one mentioned cricket as a crap sport, what other sport takes 5 days and still doesnt guarantee a result?
In saying that I have played it since i was 11 and still do at the ripe old age of 45.
Maybe I am getting confused with crap and boring.
Never have understood why I love the game.

I back Ayce for number 1 make him look even taller!
2 numbers then again might help make him look a little wider from behind, I think he needs all the help he can get that way at the moment.
Then again he might be the only player who has 2 numbers on his back that tend to show a part of them at the front!

Scraggers
28-11-2008, 04:01 PM
My brother's please, can't we just join hands and come together in the one belief we all share...that Ayce Cordy will soon be the premier AFL ruckman / Key Position Forward leading us onwards to years of premiership glory?

Sorry Underdog ... Sorry Mofra ... Sorry Everyone ...

Lets all sit around the camp fire singing Kumbaya and lighting Joss Sticks hailing the great ruckman :D

Mofra
28-11-2008, 04:06 PM
Sorry Underdog ... Sorry Mofra ... Sorry Everyone ...

Lets all sit around the camp fire singing Kumbaya and lighting Joss Sticks hailing the great ruckman :D
Yup apologies to all.

Let us pass the peace pipe around and watch the next (and imrpoved) Dean Cox (Ayce mentioned him) tear the competition a new a-hole in a couple of years time when he's 105kgs and still sidestepping rovers.

Scraggers
28-11-2008, 04:20 PM
Yup apologies to all.

Let us pass the peace pipe around and watch the next (and imrpoved) Dean Cox (Ayce mentioned him) tear the competition a new a-hole in a couple of years time when he's 105kgs and still sidestepping rovers.

To quote Shane Crawford "Now that's what I'm talking about!"