PDA

View Full Version : Courtney Johns FFS!

Sockeye Salmon
05-10-2008, 12:10 PM
From this mornings paper:

Swans, Bulldogs eye Courtney

...He met Sydney coach Paul Roos for talks last week and has also spoken to Rodney Eade about filling the forward gap at the Western Bulldogs...

He's just had a knee reconstruction...

...and he was poo before he got hurt.

No.

Rocket Science
05-10-2008, 12:16 PM
FFS indeed...

Our trading track record means we'll be forever linked to any hack over six foot with all four limbs intact.

Enough already and just play the damn kids.

GVGjr
05-10-2008, 12:24 PM
It's very curious why Rocket would be interested in him.
Is it an indication that Minson at FF is not something that he wants to proceed with?
Has Johns done anything to suggest that he could kick 40 goals in a season?
Are we going to clear out a number of marginal players like Wight and he just wants some back up?
Or does he just see some untapped potential in him?

I guess she has some reasoning but I cant see why at the moment.

bulldogtragic
05-10-2008, 01:10 PM
FFS.

Tommy Gun had more going for him.

Dogs 24/7
05-10-2008, 01:41 PM
Seriously there would have to be hard questions asked if Eade recruits this guy and he doesn't measure up. If I was the membership manager I'd be pleading with Eade that we give him a wide berth.

G-Mo77
05-10-2008, 01:41 PM
I don't think Johns is that bad really. He is a forward and behind Llyod and Lucas he never really had a chance. I remember seeing a couple of games were he did do quite well as the sole forward, but that is going back quite some time now. All that being said I wouldn't want him ahead of our younger guys, developing our own is the key. How long have we been picking up club rejects to try and get a quick fix? Far to long IMO. Maybe they could store him at Willy, isn't that what we did with Jason Cloke? I'm pretty sure we were semi interested in him too.

Dogs 24/7
05-10-2008, 01:57 PM
I don't think Johns is that bad really. He is a forward and behind Llyod and Lucas he never really had a chance. I remember seeing a couple of games were he did do quite well as the sole forward, but that is going back quite some time now. All that being said I wouldn't want him ahead of our younger guys, developing our own is the key. How long have we been picking up club rejects to try and get a quick fix? Far to long IMO. Maybe they could store him at Willy, isn't that what we did with Jason Cloke? I'm pretty sure we were semi interested in him too.
But he has hid chances given both Lloyd and Lucas have missed large slices of footy over the last two years. I remember seeing him lead out a couple times and grab a strong mark but he also then went back and missed those shots. Good on Essendon for trying him but he hasn't grasped his chances. I suppose he does offer a bit more than say Paul O'Shea but he would most likely just be holding a position on the list

I'm not convinced we were ever after Cloke.

Mofra
05-10-2008, 03:09 PM
I don't think Johns has what it takes to make it at AFL level - watch his second efforts. Minson, for all his flaws, will keep trying until the ball has left his area - Johns simply does not do this. It is like watching Street at a centre bounce - he taps, and then stands there. Hudson, with less pace (his 20m time is slower than Street's) and less height is a far better ruckman as his second & third efforts are excellent.
A good VFL player will not always make a reasonable AFL player.

The Pie Man
05-10-2008, 03:12 PM
FFS indeed...

Our trading track record means we'll be forever linked to any hack over six foot with all four limbs intact.

Enough already and just play the damn kids.

I believe that was a quote from Lindsay Gilbee impersonating Eade on Mad Monday under hypnosis.

Yeah I'm also secptical on this one - huge unit, raking left foot. If he went to Sydney and kicked 40 + next year I'd be disappointed - chances are that won't happen though

bornadog
05-10-2008, 03:34 PM
Courtney Johns #21 Essendon Bombers
Height: 192cm Weight: 100kg Position: Defender, Forward

LostDoggy
05-10-2008, 04:03 PM
No thanks Mr. Johns

I believe Farren Ray up forward would be more pleasing than an injury prone tall like yourself

Scraggers
05-10-2008, 04:26 PM

Well said ... Could not agree more !!!!

G-Mo77
05-10-2008, 05:07 PM
I'm not convinced we were ever after Cloke.

I'm not entirely convinced either that is why I said "semi interested" just like I'm not entirely convinced about this report. It was reported last year though, similar to this one so take that which ever way you want, a lot of stories seem like just speculation.

Cloke then went on and signed with Willy. It may happen again? we'll see I guess. Either way I can't see Johns on any part of the Bulldogs list next season.

DOG GOD
05-10-2008, 06:04 PM
If Eade wants a dud at FF then i'll lace up the 6 inch heels to get me to 6'5 and stand in the goal square for half of what we would pay Johns.

Dear oh dear....my day just keeps getting worse.

BulldogBelle
05-10-2008, 08:16 PM
Seriously there would have to be hard questions asked if Eade recruits this guy and he doesn't measure up.

Yep, agree with you there. CJ isn't high on my shopping list.

bulldogtragic
05-10-2008, 08:50 PM
Word on the street (BF) is CJ was delisted by the dons.

One of those scenarios whether we used picked a kid with pick 100 or used it on him?

I think a kid is the better way to go.

G-Mo77
05-10-2008, 10:03 PM
Word on the street (BF) is CJ was delisted by the dons.

One of those scenarios whether we used picked a kid with pick 100 or used it on him?

I think a kid is the better way to go.

I believe he was told he was gone a few rounds before the season ended.

It is not just using a late pick, we have to delist another player to use that pick. Who do you delist to take that 5th or 6th rounder to pick up someone like Johns?

Regardless of the scenario it just seems so unlikely that Courtney Johns will not be on our list next season. I'm 99.9% sure of that. :cool:

Big Will
05-10-2008, 10:29 PM
Regardless of the scenario it just seems so unlikely that Courtney Johns will not be on our list next season. I'm 99.9% sure of that. :cool:

I really hope you're right. Adding Courtney Johns to our list would just be going backwards.

Dancin' Douggy
06-10-2008, 10:09 AM
Courtney Johns stinks to high heaven