PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs secure Cordy with first round pick

bornadog
06-10-2008, 12:07 PM
By Jennifer Witham
11:22 AM Mon 06 October, 2008
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/draft__1__gallery__598x400.jpg
Ayce Cordy is destined for the Western Bulldogs

THE WESTERN Bulldogs will use their first round draft pick in order to secure the services of ruck prospect Ayce Cordy.

The young tall, who was eligible to be claimed by the Dogs under the father-son rule, will cost the club selection No.14 in the NAB AFL Draft after St Kilda offered its first round draft pick of 13 for the former Geelong Falcon.

Under new father-son drafting rules, rival clubs have the opportunity to bid for a nominated player, with the original club then required to use its next highest selection to claim him.

The son of former Bulldog Brian, who played 124 games for the club between 1981-88, had been touted as a possible top five draft pick, owing to his impressive agility and ability despite his 202cm height.

Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade said the Dogs aren't surprised at the hefty price tag attached to Cordy, but are more than happy to part with their top pick in order to recruit him.

"That's what we thought from the start. There was no way known [other clubs] would let him through to the second round," Eade said at Telstra Dome on Monday.

"It was just depending on where we finished on the ladder, and the fact we had pick 14, which we think makes him a cheap buy for us.

"We think he'll be a 200-game player, which is great for us."

Eade said the Bulldogs are pleased they've secured Cordy, who will add to the club's stock of emerging key position/ruck prospects, over a month before the November 29 draft day.

"This draft is really one for talls, and Ayce is up there with the best of them," he said.

"The fact we've got him now is fantastic, and he'll be able to have a good pre-season under his belt straight away."

The Dogs' coach also refused to rule out a possible senior debut for Cordy within the next year, but said it's unlikely.

"The expectation of all the young lads is not high, because it is a pretty tough competition," he said.

"He needs a bit of weight on him, so we'll take a long-term approach as we've done with all our young lads. The thing is, it will be what's best for him.

"He's had a couple of injuries this year, so we'll take it slowly, but he's certainly got enough ability to play seniors next year.

"But, if he spends all next year at Williamstown, that's no big loss for us."

Prior to Cordy the Dogs had only had two father-son selections – Luke Darcy (father David) and David Round (father Barry).

"It's a great rule. I know there's some people who say it should be scrapped, but I think there's still a bit of emotion, passion and loyalty around still in our game," he said.

"The fact we have a father-son is great for the club."
Exclusive to AFL BigPond Network

bornadog
06-10-2008, 12:10 PM
Cordy excited to be a Dog
By Jennifer Witham
11:55 AM Mon 06 October, 2008

GROWING up, young ruck prospect Ayce Cordy barracked for a team situated on the north side of the Yarra River.

Unfortunately for his new club, the Western Bulldogs, it was one located in a suburb a little closer to the city than Footscray.

"In juniors, I was a Kangaroos supporter but I've slowly moved over to the Western Bulldogs. I was a big Wayne Carey fan," Cordy recalled.

His love for the Roos clearly overshadowed his father's 124-game career for the club he officially became a player for on Monday.

Brian Cordy played 124 games for Footscray between 1981 and 1988. Ayce, 18, will now be drafted by the Bulldogs with their first selection in the November 29 NAB AFL Draft, after the club agreed to part with pick 14 in exchange for his services.

St Kilda was the club that pushed the Bulldogs into using their opening pick, after offering up selection 13 under the new father-son bidding rules.

But the Dogs' enthusiasm for height – and Cordy's remarkable agility and athleticism despite his 202cm stature – saw the club happy to trump that offer and welcome just its third father-son acquisition to Whitten Oval in its history.

"I'm very excited. I'm looking forward to getting down there and having a good pre-season," Cordy said on Monday, shortly after pulling on his first piece of official Bulldogs' merchandise – a red, white and blue polo shirt.

"As Rocket said, I have to put on a bit of weight as well, so that will be good.

"Probably in the last couple of years, I've really looked forward to getting there."

When Cordy walks into Whitten Oval in the next few days, he won't be confronted by completely unfamiliar surroundings.

Cordy was invited to train with the Dogs over summer this year. While it wasn't an extensive arrangement, Cordy said the familiarisation it provided will help him adjust.

"Realistically, it's only a week and you're just the kid on the side," he said.

"I don't think I've really got all that much of an advantage, but I have been down there and I know what's going on.

"I know a lot of the fitness staff, so that should help me a little bit in the future."

Cordy missed all but three games of his final year as a Geelong Falcon, owing to a shoulder reconstruction three months ago.

"I started the season with the AIS over in South Africa, came back, had three games with school and my shoulder copped a few knocks and it didn't feel all that stable," he said.

"Then in a ruck contest, it popped out and was pretty painful.

"I had a choice, whether or not to play on. The shoulder caused me a few problems throughout the year so I decided to have surgery in June and got it over and done with."

He is still a month away from full fitness, but is not suffering any ill effects of being out of the game for so long.

"It's been three months since my operation, and I'm feeling good," he said.
Exclusive to AFL BigPond Network

bornadog
10-08-2011, 05:37 PM
Bump:

Hopefully gets to play this week.

Desipura
10-08-2011, 07:31 PM
Bump:

Hopefully gets to play this week.

He will play I am hearing

LostDoggy
10-08-2011, 09:02 PM
Hope to see him out there on Saturday night - we need to keep bringing the kids through to the big stage!

Daughter of the West
11-08-2011, 09:03 AM
Cordy not playing this week according to this morning's Age:

While Ayce Cordy won't become the Bulldogs' 10th debutant this week, Dean indicated the 202-centimetre youngster was a chance to play before the season was out, having settled into a back-line role in the VFL recently and overcoming his latest injury problem, a back complaint.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/desperate-bulldogs-size-up-the-bomber-threat-20110810-1imvr.html

Topdog
11-08-2011, 01:07 PM
Idiot reporters.

How does this

''Ayce is up for selection over the next month. It will be great to see the big fella. It's his third year and he's had a horror run with his injuries, but he's bouncing across the top of the ground, so Ayce is well and truly in the selection mix,'' said Dean,

equal this?

While Ayce Cordy won't become the Bulldogs' 10th debutant this week

westdog54
11-08-2011, 01:28 PM
Idiot reporters.

How does this

equal this?

Dissapointing, I expect a lot better from Emma Quayle.

Topdog
11-08-2011, 04:02 PM
Didn't notice it was her. Having her name attached to it makes me think that perhaps she was told something that she couldn't quote. I suppose we will see in a few hours.

westdog54
11-08-2011, 07:18 PM
Didn't notice it was her. Having her name attached to it makes me think that perhaps she was told something that she couldn't quote. I suppose we will see in a few hours.

Perhaps, but if she was told that Ayce might be a late inclusion then I would have left him out of the article altogether.

bornadog
19-08-2011, 01:58 PM
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/apwdeperate_20110810190142122220-420x0.jpg

Hope he plays a great game.

LostDoggy
19-08-2011, 03:12 PM
I just hope he makes it through unscathed. I'm betting $20 on Mr Tough Guy Dean Bogan, I mean Brogan, trying to put him on the turf.

bornadog
19-08-2011, 03:14 PM
I just hope he makes it through unscathed. I'm betting $20 on Mr Tough Guy Dean Bogan, I mean Brogan, trying to put him on the turf.

Brogan is not playing, he withdrew today.