PDA

View Full Version : Dog's on Hall hunt

Mantis
07-10-2008, 08:12 AM
Western Bulldogs keen on Sydney's Barry Hunt

Mark Stevens and Jon Ralph | October 07, 2008 12:00am

THE Western Bulldogs have not slammed the door shut on a bid for Barry Hall. Hall was one of several key forwards the Dogs inquired about yesterday.

Although Sydney said Hall was contracted and required, the Dogs will continue their pursuit.

"We inquired about Barry and they said, at this stage, he is a required player," Bulldogs football manager James Fantasia said.

"We haven't totally given up. We will continue to make inquiries."

It is understood Hall is of one of up to 10 players fitting the "power forward" category who caught the Dogs' eye.

Although the door might be ajar with Hall, the Dogs are hamstrung because they paid a premium price for highly rated father-son pick Ayce Cordy.

Despite reports, the Dogs are highly unlikely to offer former Essendon forward Courtney Johns a second chance.

It is believed Hawk Tim Boyle isn't high on the Dogs' wish list, either.

Justin Koschitzke is off-limits, with St Kilda telling suitors yesterday he was going nowhere.

Clubs said West Coast was open to the idea of trading 198cm premiership player Ashley Hansen, but he is more of a lead-up player than a power forward.

If Hansen was to end up at the Dogs, it could be in a deal involving Farren Ray.

It is believed the Eagles showed interest in Ray, who wants to leave Whitten Oval.

Other clubs may also circle Ray later in the week and the Bulldogs say they want a minimum of a high second-round selection to trade him.

Fantasia said keeping Ray would be a real possibility if suitable compensation could not be found.

"We put on the table that we think . . . that he's a second-round draft pick, and an earlier second round than a later second-round. That seems to be a fair and reasonable asking price," he said.

"We have said right from the word go that he is a required player.

"He has indicated that he would like to try this week to see if there is another club and another opportunity, but we have spoken to his manager even as late as today and reaffirmed that we would like him to be with us next year so we will still progress that way."

The Bulldogs conceded that rivals were not yet knocking down the door at Whitten Oval chasing the former top-five draft pick.

"There have been a number of clubs that have shown some interest. Nothing that has fallen today, but we are sure that by the end of the week something might come around."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24457363-19742,00.html

LostDoggy
07-10-2008, 08:22 AM
Despite reports, the Dogs are highly unlikely to offer former Essendon forward Courtney Johns a second chance.

It is believed Hawk Tim Boyle isn't high on the Dogs' wish list, either.

The good news here.

LostDoggy
07-10-2008, 08:23 AM
I'll take Ray for Hansen.

GVGjr
07-10-2008, 08:25 AM

I think Hansen would suit us.

bulldogtragic
07-10-2008, 08:47 AM
I think Hansen would suit us.
Much more than Boyle or Johns.

Campbell's name is not eing thrown around though...

Scraggers
07-10-2008, 04:09 PM

It's got my vote ... I rate Hansen; he's a good footballer

LostDoggy
07-10-2008, 04:35 PM
Just injured a lot.

Dry Rot
07-10-2008, 05:03 PM
Just injured a lot.

Williams will now have company in rehab.

Twodogs
07-10-2008, 05:41 PM
Who's Barry Hunt? I'm used to us going after no-name full forwards...

The Doctor
07-10-2008, 06:12 PM
Who's Barry Hunt?

Mike's brother and cousin of Eric.

bornadog
07-10-2008, 06:28 PM
Much more than Boyle or Johns.

Campbell's name is not eing thrown around though...

Thats good as I would rather not have any of Boyle, Johns or Campbell. Hansen would be the best of all those mentioned.

bulldogtragic
07-10-2008, 06:39 PM
Thats good as I would rather not have any of Boyle, Johns or Campbell. Hansen would be the best of all those mentioned.
I'm really surprised Dowler or Thorpe are not being mentioned, even is they were Pelchan specials (i.e. two first rounders).

bornadog
07-10-2008, 07:09 PM
I'm really surprised Dowler or Thorpe are not being mentioned, even is they were Pelchan specials (i.e. two first rounders).

Could be all happening in the background. Eade isnot going to tell us something we don't already know. We will know by Friday.

The Bulldogs Bite
07-10-2008, 07:52 PM
If Hawthorn secure O'Keefe, which would seem a real possibility, Pick 16 + a player (Tim Boyle?) would be reasonable, then surely one of Dowler/Thorpe becomes expendable?

Targeting a player like Thorpe or Reid - though unlikely - would be my preferred option. Both are going to struggle to fit into their respective forward lines for at least another two seasons, so our best opportunity would be trying to convince them of that.

Having Thorpe/Reid, Grant, Boumann & Cordy developing would set us up very well.

I realize it's a bit of a reach at this stage though.

Desipura
08-10-2008, 08:42 AM

Clayton rated Thorp very highly at the time he got drafted, said he was a natural CHF. I would not be surprised if we made an offer to the Hawks. Would need a low 2nd round though at the very least.......

bornadog
08-10-2008, 10:48 AM

From The Age:

"Hawthorn has indicated it is willing to listen to offers for forwards Mitch Thorp and Beau Dowler."

Desipura
08-10-2008, 12:25 PM
From The Age:

"Hawthorn has indicated it is willing to listen to offers for forwards Mitch Thorp and Beau Dowler."
Three reasons why we need to look at him:
Hawks signed him for 3 yrs earlier this year which tells me the rate him as a footballer. Pelchen has a good eye for talent
and it is tough to get a game in the forward line alongsideFranklin, Roughead & Williams.
GO GET HIM DOGS!!!!!

Dancin' Douggy
08-10-2008, 12:43 PM
Looks like the best option to me at the moment when compared to all the other hacks we've been sniffing around

The Underdog
08-10-2008, 12:58 PM
Three reasons why we need to look at him:
Hawks signed him for 3 yrs earlier this year which tells me the rate him as a footballer. Pelchen has a good eye for talent
and it is tough to get a game in the forward line alongsideFranklin, Roughead & Williams.
GO GET HIM DOGS!!!!!

Problem being, how do we get him?
We don't have anything the Hawks want and don't have a draft pick in the first round which would most likely be the asking price. We may be able to work something so that they can fit O'Keefe into their salary cap but we're not working from a very strong base as far as desirable pieces. Possibly could work our way into a 3 way but again, we don't have much we're willing to part with that other teams want.

Desipura
08-10-2008, 01:57 PM
Problem being, how do we get him?
We don't have anything the Hawks want and don't have a draft pick in the first round which would most likely be the asking price. We may be able to work something so that they can fit O'Keefe into their salary cap but we're not working from a very strong base as far as desirable pieces. Possibly could work our way into a 3 way but again, we don't have much we're willing to part with that other teams want.
I know what you mean. We may have to offer a player and 2nd round pick to Sydney to get it over the line.
Are we willing to do depart with that?

DOG GOD
08-10-2008, 04:20 PM
I know what you mean. We may have to offer a player and 2nd round pick to Sydney to get it over the line.
Are we willing to do depart with that?

Depends how much we WANT IT!!!