PDA

View Full Version : Farren Ray has been canonised.

bulldogtragic
08-10-2008, 06:29 PM
Bulldogs' football manager James Fantasia was told yesterday that Ray will not agree to remain at Whitten Oval under any circumstances.

"It's up to the Bulldogs to get a deal done because otherwise he'll go through the pre-season draft," said Ray's manager, Rick Olarenshaw, who spoke with Fantasia yesterday.

"Farren wants to see a win-win deal struck. He'd like to get to the club of his choice and see the Bulldogs get something in return. That would be good. If not, then he will go for nothing.

The way he and Olerenshaw have handled this is a disgrace.

I have no issue with him wanting to leave, none whatsoever. But they way he has screwed us in the process and used the media to broadcast everything is an absolute disgrace. He hasn't even had the courage to nominate a club, just said he wont stay with us, killing any opportunity for a half decent trade.

Pricks act.

Rocket Science
08-10-2008, 06:38 PM
The way he and Olerenshaw have handled this is a disgrace.

Pricks act.

Seconded...As if a bloke with Ray's credentials is in a position to pick and choose a la Judd.

But then again Olarenshaw's not really doing any more damage to Ray's value than Ray's done himself almost every time he's taken the field. If the speculation is to be believed, there's a reason Olarenshaw's phone hasn't been flooded with inbound calls, and you'd think that might encourage a slightly more reasonable attitude and tone.

Ray should be thankful for a 2nd chance to redeem himself as a footballer at this level.

I'll say this with regard to his footy, wherever he goes I suspect they'll likewise run out of patience with him much like we have.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-10-2008, 06:42 PM
I wonder how they feel knowing that no club is actively pursuing?

Honestly, what did they expect? The most a club would want to give up is a third rounder. Unless, of course, we saw something like Ray + 32 for Hansen + 36. Otherwise, Ray isn't whetting anyone's appetite.

GVGjr
08-10-2008, 06:48 PM
I don't blame Ray at all but this all falls back to the way his manger is handling the media.

I can understand that he wants to be traded and I can understand that he wants to give the club a clear message that him returning to the club is not an option but this has been poorly managed.

If we can't get a reasonable pick, then let him take his chances in the PSD. I'd rather nothing if the best we can get is a 4th rounder.

firstdogonthemoon
08-10-2008, 07:02 PM
This thread title says more about the author than the subject.

dog town
08-10-2008, 07:06 PM
I don't blame Ray at all but this all falls back to the way his manger is handling the media.

I can understand that he wants to be traded and I can understand that he wants to give the club a clear message that him returning to the club is not an option but this has been poorly managed.

If we can't get a reasonable pick, then let him take his chances in the PSD. I'd rather nothing if the best we can get is a 4th rounder. Totally agree. I would rather let him rot in the PSD than get screwed over.

LostDoggy
08-10-2008, 07:09 PM
Theres a big difference between a dog and a prick. I wouldnt go as far as saying hes a dog though.

bulldogtragic
08-10-2008, 07:12 PM
This thread title says more about the author than the subject.
How So?

The Bulldogs Bite
08-10-2008, 07:21 PM
Totally agree. I would rather let him rot in the PSD than get screwed over.

The thing that works in Rays favour is that Melbourne have already conceded they wouldn't take him through the PSD, leaving a clear pathway to either West Coast or Fremantle - two sides he would be happy to go to.

Thus, we really are in a lose-lose situation UNLESS we can find a club interested enough to compensate us fairly. At this stage, that looks unlikely.

BulldogBelle
08-10-2008, 07:25 PM
If he wants to go that is his prerogative, if we don't get what we want pick wise then so be it...send him packing off to the PSD and hopefully one of the West Australian clubs picks him up even though Faz has said he would prefer to stay in Melbourne.

dog town
08-10-2008, 07:26 PM
The thing that works in Rays favour is that Melbourne have already conceded they wouldn't take him through the PSD, leaving a clear pathway to either West Coast or Fremantle - two sides he would be happy to go to.

Thus, we really are in a lose-lose situation UNLESS we can find a club interested enough to compensate us fairly. At this stage, that looks unlikely. Dont think he is that keen on going back to WA, regardless I would rather make an example than settle for a 4th rounder or something like that.

I think he will look after us if he possibly can.

G-Mo77
08-10-2008, 07:32 PM
"Farren wants to see a win-win deal struck. He'd like to get to the club of his choice and see the Bulldogs get something in return. That would be good. If not, then he will go for nothing.

How the hell can that happen now O-o-o-larenshaw you stupid stuttering w-w-wanker.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-10-2008, 07:37 PM
Dont think he is that keen on going back to WA, regardless I would rather make an example than settle for a 4th rounder or something like that.

I think he will look after us if he possibly can.

I certainly agree - I would rather send him to the PSD than be bent over, but unfortunately, the satisfaction of playing hardball is fairly limited because he'd be pretty fond of WA. His preference may be to stay in Melbourne, but when family/friends are back in WA, I'm sure it's an adjustment he could make pretty quickly.

Hopefully a deal can be struck with West Coast, we've had a very good trading relationship over the past few years. That would seem our best bet ATM.

Otherwise though, as you said, send him to the PSD.

LostDoggy
08-10-2008, 07:42 PM
Ray has just confirmed what every club knew already, when a player is out of contract and asks to be traded, 99 times out of a hundred they will go through to the PSD anyway rather than re-sign, unless they are a superstar which our young Farren is not.

Mantis
08-10-2008, 07:46 PM

If we can't get a reasonable pick, then let him take his chances in the PSD. I'd rather nothing if the best we can get is a 4th rounder.

I agree with this also.

It's more the fault of 'Ricky O' than Farren that we find ourselves in this situation.

I think the thread title should be changed, I think it's pretty unjust.

GVGjr
08-10-2008, 07:48 PM
Ray has just confirmed what every club knew already, when a player is out of contract and asks to be traded, 99 times out of a hundred they will go through to the PSD anyway rather than re-sign, unless they are a superstar which our young Farren is not.

Agreed but the his manager delivering an ultimatum to the media is not right. I think Ray want's to do the right thing for the club but he doesn't want to have to settle for a bad deal either.

Topdog
08-10-2008, 07:49 PM

Thus, we really are in a lose-lose situation UNLESS we can find a club interested enough to compensate us fairly. At this stage, that looks unlikely.

But he has said that he wants to stay in Melbourne, so really he would rather us find a suitable trade.

The reason (IMO) that his manager is talking a lot is to make sure that clubs remember he is available.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
08-10-2008, 08:04 PM
But he has said that he wants to stay in Melbourne, so really he would rather us find a suitable trade.

The reason (IMO) that his manager is talking a lot is to make sure that clubs remember he is available.

And perhaps to get our club to get on the front foot in seeking a trade.
Either Eade or Fantasia said earlier in the week in the Age that if a deal could not be found they would keep Ray. This on top of the fact that Eade had said in the media that the club still see Ray as a required player, might make Ray's manager think that the Dogs might not be doing all they could do to try and get a trade up, so that he re-signs with us.

If I was Ray's manager I would be wanting to put the heat on the club that his client's preference was to get a deal done too, if time was runing out and nothing appeared to be happening.

I don't see any problem with Olarenshaw's tactics here, if he thinks the Dogs are not doing all that is possible to get a deal done.

Bit harsh calling Ray a prick, when all his manager is doing is trying to get the best outcome for his client.

Scraggers
08-10-2008, 08:09 PM
I agree with this also.

It's more the fault of 'Ricky O' than Farren that we find ourselves in this situation.

I think the thread title should be changed, I think it's pretty unjust.

Agreed ... I don't think we need threads named this way

Rocket Science
08-10-2008, 08:20 PM
Bit harsh calling Ray a prick, when all his manager is doing is trying to get the best outcome for his client.

But given Ray's stated aims it's a self-defeating approach, surely?

Public comments like those made not only diminish any potential return we might get, but also diminish the possibility of a trade to one of his mythical 'preferred clubs' being negotiated at all...Theoretically, why would anyone cough up something of value if he's conceivably available to them for nothing via the PSD?, where he gets no say in terms of where he ends up.

As if anyone with two eyes and two ears needs reminding Ray's available for trade...and Fantasia/Eade saying he's an otherwise required player should any potential trade partner insist on lowballing us for his services is entirely predictable and reasonable...and hardly grounds for that boofhead Olarenshaw to ark up on behalf of his client.

If they'd really "like to see the Bulldogs get something in return", they'd assist greatly by shutting the hell up.

Dancin' Douggy
08-10-2008, 08:21 PM
It's fairly clear, after watching Olarenshaw's performances as a boundary rider, that he's not the sharpest tool in the shed.
How he could be in charge of peoples careers is staggering. To think that 17 year old kids hand over their futures to to peanuts like that is just very sad.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
08-10-2008, 08:31 PM
But given Ray's stated aims it's a self-defeating approach, surely?

Public comments like those made not only diminish any potential return we might get, but also diminish the possibility of a trade to one of his mythical 'preferred clubs' being negotiated at all...Theoretically, why would anyone cough up something of value if he's conceivably available to them for nothing via the PSD?, where he gets no say in terms of where he ends up.

As if anyone with two eyes and two ears needs reminding Ray's available for trade...and Fantasia/Eade saying he's an otherwise required player should any potential trade partner insist on lowballing us for his services is entirely predictable and reasonable...and hardly grounds for that boofhead Olarenshaw to ark up on behalf of his client.

If they'd really "like to see the Bulldogs get something in return", they'd assist greatly by shutting the hell up.

But if they (Olarenshaw/Ray) feel the Dogs are perhaps knocking back or not considering requests on the basis of The Dogs wanting to ensure Ray stays, AND Ray is not too bothered by the fact he would probably be picked up by either Melbourne, West Coast or Freo... in the PSD, then no real loss for Olarenshaw giving the Dogs a hurry up in trying to secure a deal with his 1st choice club.

The Coon Dog
08-10-2008, 08:42 PM
Am I mistaken or did the AFL change the rules this year so an uncontracted player can now also nominate via the National Draft?

See 11 Nov: http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=3661

LostDoggy
08-10-2008, 09:05 PM
Cut our loses and take WCE pick 36 for him.

mjp
08-10-2008, 11:50 PM
Am I mistaken or did the AFL change the rules this year so an uncontracted player can now also nominate via the National Draft?

See 11 Nov: http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=3661

True. And they can put a price on their head in the national draft, not just the PSD.

Sockeye Salmon
08-10-2008, 11:54 PM
True. And they can put a price on their head in the national draft, not just the PSD.

Why even have a PSD?

Dry Rot
09-10-2008, 12:47 AM
I only know Mr Olarenshaw from his commentary/boundary riding duties.

I think you are all being harsh - he's clearly a sandwich short of a picnic.

How did he become a player manager?

Pembleton
09-10-2008, 02:03 AM
Not sure what Ray has done wrong. Having been told he will struggle desperately to get a game, he is after a new employer. Why would we expect him to be doing us any big favours at this point?

Olarenshaw on the other hand i think is misguided in his comments. Not sure how he thinks it will help his client for him to say this in the media. I would suspect that it is more likely to push Eade and Fantasia into a hardened position, as they will not want other clubs and agents getting the impression they can be bullied into doing poor deals.

I think it is more about being connected than being bright. There are a couple of other player managers that seem to be similarly challenged to me.

NoseBleed
09-10-2008, 02:48 AM
If Farren cuts and runs without showing any respect for the club that over the last few years has given him a home, hundreds of thousands of dollars, and our number one jumper, I'll be very disappointed in him.

All our players should be instructed not to talk to Mr Olarenshaw on camera next year. Respect is earned, not given, and he deserves none.

NB.

MrMahatma
09-10-2008, 06:37 AM
Not sure what Ray has done wrong. Having been told he will struggle desperately to get a game, he is after a new employer. Why would we expect him to be doing us any big favours at this point?

Olarenshaw on the other hand i think is misguided in his comments. Not sure how he thinks it will help his client for him to say this in the media. I would suspect that it is more likely to push Eade and Fantasia into a hardened position, as they will not want other clubs and agents getting the impression they can be bullied into doing poor deals.

I think it is more about being connected than being bright. There are a couple of other player managers that seem to be similarly challenged to me.
Farren hasn't done anything wrong IMO. However, he'd have to be wondering what opportunities he'll be getting elsewhere if he's not even worth a 2nd rounder to others.

He was in our best 22 up until the last couple of weeks this year. He's physically developed and fits into a 'role' without our squad.

You could argue that his best bet is still to remain at the dogs.

LostDoggy
09-10-2008, 09:07 AM

He studied Physio with a mate of mine but never attended classes and mucked aroud a bit. Obviously he dropped out. Think he has done Sport Management course(s).
Player managers should be put in the same boat as used car salesmen, IT recruiters, and real estate agents.

LostDoggy
09-10-2008, 09:09 AM
I forgot Life coaches.

Desipura
09-10-2008, 09:30 AM
When I read the thread title I thought I was logged into another site. Poor thread title and to label someone a "dog" is the lowest thing you can ever do.

Mantis
09-10-2008, 09:36 AM
When I read the thread title I thought I was logged into another site. Poor thread title and to label someone a "dog" is the lowest thing you can ever do.

If we had a carding system on this forum the dipshit who started this thread should be copping one.

LostDoggy
09-10-2008, 10:09 AM
Such a wasted #4 draft pick with Farren

Hindsight is very funny..

But the 2003 Draft wasnt the best
With the exceptions of
#1 - Adam Brownlow Coooooney
#2 - Andrew Walker
#5 - Brock Mclean
#48 - Heath Shaw
#55 - Sam Fisher
#58 - Ben Hudson

Gotta go down pretty far to find established players in that draft..

craigsahibee
09-10-2008, 10:45 AM
It's fairly clear, after watching Olarenshaw's performances as a boundary rider, that he's not the sharpest tool in the shed.
How he could be in charge of peoples careers is staggering. To think that 17 year old kids hand over their futures to to peanuts like that is just very sad.

Spot on Dancin'

The Coon Dog
09-10-2008, 10:55 AM

So Farren has 5 choices:

a) Be traded to the club of his choice.

b) Accept a trade, but not to the club of his choice.

c) Remain with the Bulldogs.

d) Nominate for the National Draft with a price on his head (probably end up at the club of his choice).

e) Nominate for the PSD.

Be interesting to see how this unfolds today/tomorrow.

Disappointed too as others have said with thread title/references.

Dancin' Douggy
09-10-2008, 10:59 AM
Spot on Dancin'

I also think we shouldn't be too hasty in judging Farren.
99% of what you read in the sports pages is crap and who knows? He might still end up staying.
Wait 'til he officially goes, then it's open season.

Sedat
09-10-2008, 11:00 AM
Olarenshaw must be doing something right in the player manager game, seeing as he is the manager of the current Brownlow Medallist. He was a mad Bulldogs fan as a kid I so am quite puzzled by his most recent comments, especially considering that all other comments from either the Ray camp or the Dogs camp in the last couple of weeks have been full of mutual goodwill.

What is raised publicly and what goes on behind the scenes are often two completely different things. Hopefully both parties are continuing to work together behind closed doors to achieve a mutually beneficial desired result.

Twodogs
09-10-2008, 11:09 AM
I'm used to players leaving the club. I no longer get bitter about it because players swapping clubs is one of the things that the comp is now predicated on. Farren is welcome to go anywhere he wants-it's his perogative.

However;

The last player I can remember doing anything close to this selfish and short sighted(if all the reports are true) is Luke Penny. Unlike others I dont really have that much of a problem with the thread title-if the cap fits...

The Underdog
09-10-2008, 11:20 AM
This thread is a Dog (apparently that's an insult)

Bulldog Revolution
09-10-2008, 12:29 PM
The last player I can remember doing anything close to this selfish and short sighted(if all the reports are true) is Luke Penny. Unlike others I dont really have that much of a problem with the thread title-if the cap fits...

I think they're different issues

My take is we want to sell him to the highest bidder, and that he'd prefer to stay in Melbourne. Olarenshaw is just representing his client and saying trade him where he wants to go. The club is saying if we dont get an offer acceptable we will keep him

I can understand both sides - its all spin & posturing until tomorrow arvo

aker39
09-10-2008, 12:41 PM
The club is saying if we dont get an offer acceptable we will keep him

But that is not an option, so it's silly for the club to say it.

He's uncontracted, he doesn't want to stay, so why say we'll keep him.

bulldogtragic
09-10-2008, 12:54 PM
But that is not an option, so it's silly for the club to say it.

He's uncontracted, he doesn't want to stay, so why say we'll keep him.
The club has not said we will keep him, rather if a suitable trade as far as the club is considered is not found, we will not give him away for nothing, that we would try to rebuild the relationship as we see him as a required player.

We are saying, we will do what you want. If we can't for the reasons of third parties, we want to rebuild the relationship and move forward together.

Olerenshaw is saying, F*** YOU! He is not interested in working out any differences.

It's one thing to say it to the club direct, or have it leak out. But to say it to the media and broadcast it to the footy world bends us over. Whether Farren was behind it (and i'll now concede some benefit of the doubt to him), but Olerenshaw has acted disgracefully. His actions whilst in a juvenile headspace may lead to a trade they do not. Logically he has undercut Farren's trade value, it is an insult to our club. I have worked in senior media roles, including face to camera work, i unerstand the way the media world works, and Olerenshaw had many different strategies he could have used to achieve Farren's desire. This strategy is a dogs act, make no mistake about it. Our club will now suffer some level of disadvantage because of the actions of Farren's manager.

I accept trading and losing players as a reality, that is not my issue. My issue is our club suffers a disadvantage because of the actions of a loose cannon who is actually hurting the chances of his client actually getting to where he wants to get to. We are got bent over with the intital announcement, and then got it so hard without vaseline i can smell blood. Just don't ask me to say thank-you.

bornadog
09-10-2008, 02:01 PM

I was told Luke Penny ala Nathan Brown was given inducements, (mid year) to not renew his contract, inducements too hard to refuse.

Don't believe everything you read in the paper, Olanrenshaws comments may have been taken out of context, we don't know. However, if Ray wants to leave the club, then we don't want him. Lets hope we can do a reasonable deal as we have put in lots of money and time to develop him and get him to where he is.

KT31
09-10-2008, 10:52 PM
Olarenshaw must be doing something right in the player manager game, seeing as he is the manager of the current Brownlow Medallist. He was a mad Bulldogs fan as a kid I so am quite puzzled by his most recent comments, especially considering that all other comments from either the Ray camp or the Dogs camp in the last couple of weeks have been full of mutual goodwill..

Yes and lived over the back fence from Westy.
Thank God, West ( a mad Bomber Fan) was on our side off the fence.

bulldogtragic
10-10-2008, 03:44 PM
Pick 4, years of development, hundreds of thousands of dollars....

=

upgrade a pick

Ricky, define what win/win is to you please?

Mantis
10-10-2008, 10:13 PM

=

upgrade a pick

It's an improvement on Walsh who we delisted and received nuthing for.

Let's hope we never have another pick #4.:)

Topdog
10-10-2008, 10:45 PM

=

upgrade a pick

This is win / win IMO.

Everyone keeps harping on about years of development and money spent on a certain player but that money would have been spent on another player anyway.

He wanted to go, from what I have heard we wanted to get rid of him and we have gotten the chance to select another player.

LostDoggy
10-10-2008, 10:53 PM
Yeah, win/win in my eyes. Good luck to Farren.

bulldogtragic
10-10-2008, 11:03 PM
It's an improvement on Walsh who we delisted and received nuthing for.

Let's hope we never have another pick #4.:)
:) Touche

GVGjr
14-10-2008, 07:57 PM
Farren was on SEN a bit earlier and spoke well.

He believes that the Saints will use him in the midfield which is no surprise but also they will utilise him across half back which is something that I thought we could have given him an extended run at.

He loved the Dogs but felt that he was behind in the pecking order and that was why he was so keen for a change. He will be heading back to Victoria soon to meet everyone at the Saints.

I really do wish him well.

comrade
14-10-2008, 08:21 PM
Farren was on SEN a bit earlier and spoke well.

He believes that the Saints will use him in the midfield which is no surprise but also they will utilise him across half back which is something that I thought we could have given him an extended run at.

He loved the Dogs but felt that he was behind in the pecking order and that was why he was so keen for a change. He will be heading back to Victoria soon to meet everyone at the Saints.

I really do wish him well.

I heard him too. It's obvious that the final vs Hawthorn was the catalyst for him seeking a trade. I found it strange that he said things were going 'smoothly' (his words), yet he also said leading into the finals he felt it got 'stale' (his words). By 'stale' I'm guessing he meant 'I played like a spud in the biggest game of my life and Rocket dropped me and said I better pull my finger out cos we've got heaps of good kids coming through and I think it'd be easier for me to play at somewhere like....St Kilda'.

I wish him well, but hope he does a Birss, instead of a Medhurst.

GVGjr
14-10-2008, 08:24 PM
I wish him well, but hope he does a Birss, instead of a Medhurst.

I hope he blitzes. I really want to see him kick on and do well. Medhursts efforts this season should spur along anyone moving to another club.

G-Mo77
14-10-2008, 08:42 PM
I hope he blitzes. I really want to see him kick on and do well. Medhursts efforts this season should spur along anyone moving to another club.

I want him to do well but I don't want him to blitz.

LostDoggy
14-10-2008, 10:26 PM
If he blitzs it will be a miracle. Maybe he was colourblind? The saints colours will make it easist for him find a teammate more consistently by foot. It will also increase awareness and stop his fumbling.

Nuisance value at best.

Desipura
15-10-2008, 09:19 AM
Yes Medhurst should spur others moving to other clubs. Dont forget Medhurst never had kicking deficiencies or lack of awareness, it was more his lack of application that was his downfall.
Ray from what I hear never had Medhurst type issues with application more poor skills. It is a very big challenge to improve your skills at 22yo.
One thing going for Ray is that he will not have to kick short as often given the tall targets at the Saints.

Scraggers
15-10-2008, 11:39 AM
Need to change the thread title, he's no longer a dog, he's a saint.

Maybe the moderators could change it to Farren Ray WAS a Dog

LostDoggy
15-10-2008, 06:18 PM
Can confirm that that the Western Bulldogs are now clear that Farren is no longer a Dog - they have changed the picture header on the website so that Farren is no longer there.

Scraggers
16-10-2008, 02:34 AM
Can confirm that that the Western Bulldogs are now clear that Farren is no longer a Dog - they have changed the picture header on the website so that Farren is no longer there.

Good pick up BP its scarey seeing a huge Aka like that ... funny, Ray is still listed as a Bulldog player on the Player List though :confused:

phroosh
18-10-2008, 01:42 AM
Not the prettiest scene by Faz/Ricky, but I still wish him the best. At least he didn't go to Richmond.

LostDoggy
18-10-2008, 09:55 AM
I loved watching Faz get the ball and carry but his disposal was often shocking, not just by foot, on many occasions by hand as well. Maybe it was more his decision making (especially under pressure) and awarenes than his skills. Might be hard to rectify parts of the game that are on the level of instinct... He also falls short on the physical side. Still, I would have tried to keep him at the club but who knows what goes on behind closed doors...

Good luck Faz, saints might be a better fit, just dont get in Mitch or Wills way...:eek:

Love that signature phroosh.

GVGjr
18-10-2008, 10:58 AM
I loved watching Faz get the ball and carry but his disposal was often shocking, not just by foot, on many occasions by hand as well. Maybe it was more his decision making (especially under pressure) and awarenes than his skills. Might be hard to rectify parts of the game that are on the level of instinct... He also falls short on the physical side. Still, I would have tried to keep him at the club but who knows what goes on behind closed doors...

Good luck Faz, saints might be a better fit, just dont get in Mitch or Wills way...:eek:

Love that signature phroosh.

One of the problems with Ray's play was the instruction of carrying the ball into the forward line rather than being more instinctive and going for the first option. This really exposed his kicking skills in particular because he just wasn't good at pin pointing his team mates.
I think the Saints plan to use him as a HBF and I think he might be better suited to that role.

LostDoggy
21-10-2008, 05:34 PM
At least Fez left on good terms with the club - not like other players who bagged us out after they left eg McMahon and off course Nathan (I wanna play finals) Brown.

LostDoggy
21-10-2008, 05:42 PM
Canonised? How can he play for Calder Cannons?
I thought this was new thread

Twodogs
22-10-2008, 12:35 PM
Canonised? How can he play for Calder Cannons?
I thought this was new thread

And I had you down for a good catholic boy...

Scraggers
30-10-2015, 12:07 PM
BUMP

Just been delisted !!

EasternWest
30-10-2015, 12:20 PM
Interesting. A seasoned guy who probably feels he's got a few years left in him. Wonder if he'll find a home.

bornadog
30-10-2015, 12:21 PM
Farren was never a star but a foot soldier who had a career over 200 games and played in a grand final. Good luck to him.

bulldogtragic
30-10-2015, 12:49 PM
Not just 200 games, but 200 serviceable games. Surprising.

Templeton31
30-10-2015, 12:57 PM
Didn't he want a 2 year contact and Saints would only offer 1 year? #backfired

bulldogtragic
30-10-2015, 01:27 PM
Didn't he want a 2 year contact and Saints would only offer 1 year? #backfired

You'd have to think he walks into Carltons best 22 if he wanted into it.

Greystache
30-10-2015, 01:29 PM
An honest battler who through luck with injury eked out an incredible number of games.

Twodogs
30-10-2015, 02:00 PM
An honest battler who through luck with injury eked out an incredible number of games.

Indeed he did.

Ghost Dog
30-10-2015, 02:15 PM
Like the kid in school nobody notices. Just kept plodding along.

Sedat
30-10-2015, 02:37 PM
Not just 200 games, but 200 serviceable games. Surprising.
Would have to be the biggest backhanded compliment ever seen on a footy banner.

Greystache
30-10-2015, 02:53 PM
Would have to be the biggest backhanded compliment ever seen on a footy banner.

The only other one I can think of that came close was Essendon's banner for Aaron Henneman's 50th. "Congratulation on 50 valiant games."

Sedat
30-10-2015, 02:59 PM
The only other one I can think of that came close was Essendon's banner for Aaron Henneman's 50th. "Congratulation on 50 valiant games."
Guess they weren't allowed to write 'shithouse'

Bulldog4life
30-10-2015, 03:06 PM
Clayton said if I remember Farren was another Craig Bradley. Not quite but a good player for two Clubs.

LostDoggy
30-10-2015, 10:43 PM
Heard on a radio station that Saints plan to rookie him

merantau
01-11-2015, 07:08 PM
Unfortunately the thing I remember most about Farren is missing goals when we really needed them. Nevertheless playing 200 games is a grand effort.

GVGjr
01-11-2015, 07:15 PM
Unfortunately the thing I remember most about Farren is missing goals when we really needed them. Nevertheless playing 200 games is a grand effort.

I read on AFL.com.au where he talks about the reduction in interchange numbers next year and how that suits him because he is a good runner. He also seems to know that he has to work with younger players including having some stints in the VFL so he is obviously very keen to try and extend his career for another season or two. I hope there is a club or two interested in him.

soupman
02-11-2015, 10:27 AM

I remember him kicking on his left on the run for absolutely no reason with consistently poor results. Everytime he would be having a shot on the run from 50 under little pressure he would use his left.

Twodogs
02-11-2015, 11:51 AM
I remember him kicking on his left on the run for absolutely no reason with consistently poor results. Everytime he would be having a shot on the run from 50 under little pressure he would use his left.

What was it that Einstein said about the definition of insanity?

Twodogs
02-11-2015, 11:52 AM

bornadog
02-11-2015, 12:14 PM

Posting the same thing twice. :D

Twodogs
02-11-2015, 12:36 PM
Posting the same thing twice. :D

Heh!

I don't why that keeps happening but it's kind of apt in that circumstance.

Sedat
02-11-2015, 12:45 PM
I prefer serviceable to grand ;)

merantau
02-11-2015, 10:49 PM
I prefer serviceable to grand ;)
I guess I was feeling charitable at the time of writing. How about "reasonably worthwhile effort taking all his deficiencies into consideration."

merantau
03-11-2015, 02:41 PM
"Heneman made a valiant attempt to mark the ball but it hit him in the head."
"Heneman tackled valiantly but was brushed aside."
"Henemanmade a valiant attempt to soccer a goal but had an airie"
Heneman tried valiantly to intercept but fell over instead"

Twodogs
03-11-2015, 03:38 PM
"Heneman made a valiant attempt to mark the ball but it hit him in the head."
"Heneman tackled valiantly but was brushed aside."
"Henemanmade a valiant attempt to soccer a goal but had an airie"
Heneman tried valiantly to intercept but fell over instead"

Love it. Henneman is the name of a particularly stupid character on Mitchell and Webb.