PDA

View Full Version : Want to see some real biff?

Dry Rot
09-10-2008, 06:04 PM
There's a tremendous TV documentary on tonight on ABC1 at 9.35pm which will show some great biff which IIRC had a few players taken away in ambulances.

Many folk rue how footy has changed over the years, and similarly many rugby league fans pine for the days of serious brawls, highshots and coathangers and good old fashioned thuggery of how that game was played 30 years ago.

Looks like an interesting social documentary too, showing a poor working class area team really giving it to "the silvertails".

Enjoy!

The Fibros And The Silvertails
9:35pm Thursday, 09 Oct 2008 Documentary CC PG

The Fibros And The Silvertails is the story of the feud between two football teams that turned into a war about class and alleged corruption.

The teams are Wests and Manly. The year is 1978. This is a film about football, class and place. It is a social history and a sports history.

The film explores the different areas that are the Western Suburbs and Manly in the 1970s. Manly represent the new face of the game. A wealthy club, they can afford to restock their team with imported players. They have won the premiership three times in the last decade. Wests have to look back to 1952.

In 1978, a new coach, Roy Masters, takes over at Wests. He starts to inspire the team with something new, the language of class war. He coins a new phrase - fibros versus silvertails - to describe the struggle of working class teams and fans in the Western Suburbs against the elite of the city's north and east.

In the ensuing season, ideological inspiration and violence come up against money and power and the film explores the clashes on the field as well as the contest off the park.

Wests and Manly meet four times in 1978. The first game is an exhibition match in Melbourne, a bloody game that initiates the feud. Wests win an equally tough game at Lidcombe Oval, while Manly take revenge at Brookvale. At the end, we return to the final at the Sydney Cricket Ground. By now the entire game is overshadowed by controversy involving referee Greg Hartley.

The film features interviews with Tom Raudonikis, Roy Masters, Les Boyd, Max Krilich, Graham Eadie, Greg Hartley and many others, and includes footage of key games not seen for 30 years.

At the start of the 1978 season Wests and Manly are just two teams among many. By the end, they are bitter rivals. Animosity will linger for years. The words 'fibros' and 'silvertails' will become part of Australia's sporting vernacular. And everyone will have two teams; their own and the team playing Manly.

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/guide/netw/200810/programs/DO0747H001D9102008T213500.htm

gohardorgohome
09-10-2008, 10:40 PM
Biffo is about the only good thing about Rugby League. Not much to it at all really. I went to a state of origin once at Homebush. It was a total waste of time. I went to a stadium where Joffa from Collingwood would be be one of the elite...... game was very boring.

All i saw was

Play the ball, pass it to a teammate, pass it to a teammate, teammate gets tackled.
Play the ball, pass it to a teammate, pass it to a teammate, teammate gets tackled.
Something may or may not happen................

Good to see an Aussie Rules fan like youself supporting the Dogs in Sydney Dry Rot

dog town
09-10-2008, 11:05 PM
Plenty of good suburban brawls on you tube. Here is my favourite, watch 35 for the blue and yellow side. Enjoy! http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=wLCHGcdqjHE

Sockeye Salmon
09-10-2008, 11:29 PM
I've never met a more arrogant bunch of whinging bogan arseholes in my life.

They were so proud of their kinghits, eye gouges, hair pulling and elbows. The bloke at the start - Donnelly - starts punching into a bloke with the ball who was being held by a teammate, and they're proud as punch. "Oh, he was tough". That wasn't tough.

It really is a shit game.

gohardorgohome
09-10-2008, 11:30 PM
Plenty of good suburban brawls on you tube. Here is my favourite, watch 35 for the blue and yellow side. Enjoy! http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=wLCHGcdqjHE

Good to see the kiddies having a fun day out....Looks like a few of them could do with a bit of boxing training, but it look like they showed a bit of spirit.

bornadog
10-10-2008, 12:15 AM

Fools

SonofScray
10-10-2008, 01:20 AM

Just quietly, if I was going to pick a fight, I'd make sure I had at least half a clue before I went in swinging anyone with any ability would have sat a fair few of those young fellas right on their behinds. 35 went after one of those blokes looking like a fainting goat, stuttering all over the shop.

B Grade EDFL was always interesting in terms of a bit of biff. One day at Glenroy v Maribyrnong Park sticks out in my memory, just the most feral scenes you could imagine. I was amazed at the difference between the EDFL and the VAFA in that respect and was surprised that the FDFL was a lot cleaner than I expected when I had a short stint in that league.

Too much of this happens in the juniors though, and unfortunately a lot is to do with the parents.

Bulldog Revolution
10-10-2008, 06:10 AM
Enjoyed the doco DR

And certainly agree

a) cheap shots aint toughness
b) league aint much of a gme

I wasn't that impressed with the former head of the league, and was thinking its an important position, but then we have had a few duds in the AFL (Oakley, Jackson) and still seem to be doing ok, maybe it was because we had Sheedy

Twodogs
10-10-2008, 11:40 AM
I've never met a more arrogant bunch of whinging bogan arseholes in my life.

They were so proud of their kinghits, eye gouges, hair pulling and elbows. The bloke at the start - Donnelly - starts punching into a bloke with the ball who was being held by a teammate, and they're proud as punch. "Oh, he was tough". That wasn't tough.

It really is a shit game.

I must agree. Having lived in the West most of my life I've been exposed to more whinging and complaining about 'toffs' than I care to remember but those blokes were unbelievable and made the moaners I recall seem like company men by comparison.

And what's wrong with Tom Radonikous? Is he really as stupid as he makes out (I thought last week's comments were just put on but now I'm not so sure) or is it long lasting damage to the head?

Blokes like the McGhies would have eaten those RL blokes for breakfast. And they wouldnt have needed their mates to hold anyone down. Les Boyd was the only genuine tough nut amongst them.

Bulldog Revolution
10-10-2008, 12:30 PM
Les Boyd was the only genuine tough nut amongst them.

That Donnelly guy looked a potentially crazy unit also

Sockeye Salmon
10-10-2008, 02:19 PM
And what's wrong with Tom Radonikous? Is he really as stupid as he makes out (I thought last week's comments were just put on but now I'm not so sure) or is it long lasting damage to the head?

I loved him complaining about how corrupt the ref was for penalising him for hair pulling. Then they showed the footage and he has grabbed the bloke at the back of his head and lifted him off the ground and tossed him away by his hair.

Twodogs
14-10-2008, 11:51 AM
That Donnelly guy looked a potentially crazy unit also

Crazy is easy to handle. Most of the time if you just stand back they wear themselves out and then it's easy to move in for the kill. Blokes like Donnelly are a dime a dozen, common or garden 'tough guy'.

Boyd had the dead eyed look and was willing to accept and carry out orders with no compunction. He was genuinly scary.

Twodogs
14-10-2008, 11:53 AM
I loved him complaining about how corrupt the ref was for penalising him for hair pulling. Then they showed the footage and he has grabbed the bloke at the back of his head and lifted him off the ground and tossed him away by his hair.

Yeah, I thought it was pretty gutsy of Tom to get behind someone and then start pulling his hair. It's the sort of like king hitting someone from behind but more girly.

bulldogtragic
06-06-2013, 05:20 PM
A very, very moot point i know, but Does anyone miss the rough and tumble biff from the AFL? Or is it tougher in other ways?

Im Not talking about king hits, thuggery, elbows etc, but like the line in the sand game a few years back. Or is that why the NRL exists?

I'm not sure i would say I miss it, but when these pissy 'mallees' 'erupt', I get taken to bygone era and want some real action. Ala Danny Southern telling Michael Gardiner "welcome to the kennel" and then hell breaking out :) :)

I miss having such a great home advantage too.

LostDoggy
06-06-2013, 05:37 PM
A very, very moot point i know, but Does anyone miss the rough and tumble biff from the AFL? Or is it tougher in other ways?

Im Not talking about king hits, thuggery, elbows etc, but like the line in the sand game a few years back. Or is that why the NRL exists?

I'm not sure i would say I miss it, but when these pissy 'mallees' 'erupt', I get taken to bygone era and want some real action. Ala Danny Southern telling Michael Gardiner "welcome to the kennel" and then hell breaking out :) :)

Nah, it's mostly stupid, just blokes who can't control their testosterone levels and suddenly they're missing for weeks due to suspension. Aggression at the ball and a bit of mongrel is OK, but an all-out brawl is pretty counter-productive these days. Spend the energy closing out four quarters of football.

Ghost Dog
06-06-2013, 06:03 PM
Biffo is about the only good thing about Rugby League. Not much to it at all really. I went to a state of origin once at Homebush. It was a total waste of time. I went to a stadium where Joffa from Collingwood would be be one of the elite...... game was very boring.

Good to see an Aussie Rules fan like youself supporting the Dogs in Sydney Dry Rot

I hate how they glorify punching on in Rugby - state of origin.
Some poor dad comes out into the media this week, after his kid was killed by a punch on a rugby field.
Get into a ring if that's what you want.

Ghost Dog
06-06-2013, 06:07 PM

I hate how they glorify punching on in Rugby - state of origin.
Some poor dad comes out into the media this week, after his kid was killed by a punch on a rugby field. Remember having a boxing trainer who always reminded me how easy it was to kill or seriously injure someone with a blow to the head. Movies and Sport glorify it, but doctors tear their hair out.
Get into a ring if that's what you want.

Cyberdoggie
06-06-2013, 06:11 PM

All i saw was

Hehe so i'm not the only one who thinks this way!

I think League was created for the dummies because Union was just too confusing. "Hey let's just throw it, run that way, and tackle!"

"YAY our bloke ran over that painted white line!"

Hotdog60
06-06-2013, 06:45 PM

I miss players having to earn a kick or mark. Those blokes that would kick a 100 goals in the old days had balls of steel because they knew that they were going to wear one every time they took a mark. The German diver would have been a laughing stock back then.

LostDoggy
06-06-2013, 09:00 PM
I had a shipmate who played for the Broncos as a young fella and one night he picks me up and tied me to the verandah, hanging like a punching bag, with one arm and very little effort. Big unit. I'm not exactly light on, 6'4" and 100kg.

Wasn't much in the brains department, however.

bulldogtragic
06-06-2013, 10:37 PM
360 tonight showed the rugby league SOO biff. 12 weeks down to 9 with a guilty plea at the AFL match review panel. Only one week at the NRL.

Barry Hall said the AFL should have a five minute sin bin and no tribunal.... Not sure that will attract much support...

Mofra
07-06-2013, 10:35 AM
Tough? Tough is the bloke that takes the hit and keeps playing for the team. Keeps his head and doesn't drop his bundle.

Seen Dale Morris back into the hole, get smashed and get straight back up and do it again? That's miles tougher than some king hit on an unsuspecting opponent.

KT31
07-06-2013, 11:07 AM
Tough? Tough is the bloke that takes the hit and keeps playing for the team. Keeps his head and doesn't drop his bundle.

Seen Dale Morris back into the hole, get smashed and get straight back up and do it again? That's miles tougher than some king hit on an unsuspecting opponent.

^^^^
Agree

jeemak
07-06-2013, 11:09 AM
360 tonight showed the rugby league SOO biff. 12 weeks down to 9 with a guilty plea at the AFL match review panel. Only one week at the NRL.

Barry Hall said the AFL should have a five minute sin bin and no tribunal.... Not sure that will attract much support...

What Barry Hall did to people on the football field with his fists was nothing short of disgraceful.

He's the last person I'd ask for input into these matters.

Mofra
07-06-2013, 11:50 AM
What Barry Hall did to people on the football field with his fists was nothing short of disgraceful.
I'm still not over his hit on Grant.