PDA

View Full Version : Wayne Campbell back to Richmond

aker39
10-10-2008, 10:19 AM
I can't find the link, but the Herald Sun is reporting that Wayne Campbell will be announced today as an assistant coach at Richmond.

craigsahibee
10-10-2008, 10:23 AM
I can't find the link, but the Herald Sun is reporting that Wayne Campbell will be announced today as an assistant coach at Richmond.

Saw the article this morning. Now we can make the next step

bulldogtragic
10-10-2008, 10:23 AM
Get Robert Harvey right NOW!

Mantis
10-10-2008, 10:26 AM

Instead of Scott West?

bulldogtragic
10-10-2008, 10:40 AM
Instead of Scott West?
I think we could do with the both if Scott was receptive to coaching. I like the idea of Harvey as he comes from outside the club with different ideas. I think there could be room.

bornadog
10-10-2008, 10:48 AM
Wallet has confirmed on SEN.

Now we can go back to hating him:D

Brian Royal also leaving Richmond.

bulldogtragic
10-10-2008, 10:50 AM
Wallet has confirmed on SEN.

Now we can go back to hating him:D

Brian Royal also leaving Richmond.
Funny hey, if Wallet wanted everything the bulldogs have, he could have just stayed on...

I hope he enjoys his last year as the Richmond faithful sack him mid year for Wayne.

bornadog
10-10-2008, 10:52 AM
He might have been a great player & an exceptional runner, but nothing I have seen of him suggests he would make a coach, he's barely able to string a sentence together.

Now is the oportunity to get some one really good to the club. Anyone have any thoughts? Would we ask Buckley and would he do it? Any one else out there?

bulldogtragic
10-10-2008, 10:54 AM
Now is the oportunity to get some one really good to the club. Anyone have any thoughts? Would we ask Buckley and would he do it? Any one else out there?
I don't mind the idea of Bucks.

How does Schwarz go jugling coaching and media and all the other stuff?

G-Mo77
10-10-2008, 10:55 AM
I don't think many people would be upset about this. Most have wanted Campbell gone since he got here

bornadog
10-10-2008, 10:57 AM
I don't mind the idea of Bucks.

How does Schwarz go jugling coaching and media and all the other stuff?

Schwarz has been part time in a non-paying role. Not sure if he is going to be at the dogs for next season.

bulldogtragic
10-10-2008, 10:58 AM
Schwarz has been part time in a non-paying role. Not sure if he is going to be at the dogs for next season.
Bucks wants the media coin, could he do both roles do you think?

bornadog
10-10-2008, 11:01 AM
Bucks wants the media coin, could he do both roles do you think?

Might be hard, as he does Friday nights plus radio so may not be able to do the media thing full time.

aker39
10-10-2008, 11:06 AM
Bucks said on 3AW yesterday that his plan is to be out of the game for 2 years, then to take an assistants role at a club other than Collingwood.

LostDoggy
10-10-2008, 11:07 AM
Hrmm..

More staff leaving..

Should we be worried?

Johnny Barnes are u next?

aker39
10-10-2008, 11:12 AM
Johnny Barnes are u next?

He's coaching Doutta Stars next year.

LostDoggy
10-10-2008, 11:15 AM
He's coaching Doutta Stars next year.

Doutta Stars? :confused:

Cyberdoggie
10-10-2008, 11:18 AM
He might have been a great player & an exceptional runner, but nothing I have seen of him suggests he would make a coach, he's barely able to string a sentence together.

I'd have to agree with you there,

A coach needs to be able to communicate,
whatever deeds they did on the field are irrelevant if they can't say more than "DURRP!!"

Nathan Buckley would be absolutely fabulous but he is obviously busy with media work and we need a full timer.

I also think you can't recruit from your own playing list. Scott can come back in 3 years time perhaps, but for now he has nothing new to offer us.

dogman
10-10-2008, 12:13 PM
I would have Hardwick at number one, then Bucks.

Hardwick played and been assistant coach in premierships. He is a hard nut that we disperately need at our club.

Bucks will be great for publicity.

The Underdog
10-10-2008, 12:39 PM

Hardwick played and been assistant coach in premierships. He is a hard nut that we disperately need at our club.

Bucks will be great for publicity.

I agree wholeheartedly (except with the spelling and grammar). Hardwick would be a good get, plus he was involved in premierships as a player in 2000 & 2004 and as an assistant coach in 2008, so if we could keep him until 2012, we'd be home and hosed;).
I also think Bucks would be a good pickup but imagine his wages from telly & radio would be far larger than what we could offer as an assistant, so it depends how much he wants the experience.
Thanks also to CAMPBELL (said in a Tia Carrere yell, Wayne's World style). Many here will happily wave him goodbye, but he was a part of one of our most successful years for a long time so I wouldn't write off his contribution that quickly.

Bulldog Revolution
10-10-2008, 12:40 PM
I also think you can't recruit from your own playing list. Scott can come back in 3 years time perhaps, but for now he has nothing new to offer us.

I disagree here Cyber

I believe West will be a great coach, and has much new to offer us, and as he gets used to not playing will have even more new to offer us. Just because he has been playing in the group doesn't mean everything has been run the way he would do it.

A guy with his kind of drive to improve as a player is always going to be driven to improve as a coach - he isn't suddenly going to get lazy

I vote for West

Dancin' Douggy
10-10-2008, 01:21 PM
I'm already looking forward to next season and hating Wayne Campbell 100% again.
(I'd wound it back to about 90%)

Bulldog4life
10-10-2008, 01:42 PM
Chris Grant stated earlier in the year that he was leaning towards becoming an assistant coach possibly next season. Why shouldn't it be with us?

Scorlibo
10-10-2008, 01:47 PM
Chris Grant stated earlier in the year that he was leaning towards becoming an assistant coach possibly next season. Why shouldn't it be with us?

I was just about to mention Chris. Would he not be a perfect fit?

LostDoggy
10-10-2008, 01:51 PM
Best news ive had all day, that and Farren leaving.

Ive never likes Campbell at the dogs(even tho i think he did a good job), everytime i saw him in the bulldogs colours, it made me want to throw up.

Go_Dogs
10-10-2008, 01:53 PM
Buckley would be the man I'd be chasing with everything. I have very much enjoyed his analysis during his commentary, and certainly understands the demands, and game plans of modern day footy.

Another recently retired player, the Roo, has just signed on with my schools old schol's footy, and will be playing next year for us, which I have taken to mean that he will not be seeking a coaching appointment for next year.

Bulldog Revolution
10-10-2008, 02:00 PM

Hardwicks next move will be somewhere as a senior coach - I dont think he'll leave Hawthorn after they've won the flag

Bulldog Revolution
10-10-2008, 02:05 PM
Todd Viney did, he's taken up a role at Adelaide.

That was part of my thinking as I think it makes it less likely that Hardwick will leave rather than more

aker39
10-10-2008, 02:29 PM
Todd Viney did, he's taken up a role at Adelaide.

I believe that was for personal reasons

KT31
10-10-2008, 02:39 PM
Grant needs to Coach at another club for a while to bring in a different perspective.
I know he is in the media but Glen Archer would be good.

KT31
10-10-2008, 02:40 PM
Although does it really matter without some rejigging and a prayer, without a hard contesting forward we are still in strife next season.

hujsh
10-10-2008, 06:06 PM
Grant needs to Coach at another club for a while to bring in a different perspective.

Can't last much longer

bulldogtragic
10-10-2008, 06:45 PM
Robert Harvey signed with Carlton today.

Max469
10-10-2008, 07:50 PM
:D:D:D

yeah he is gone

The Bulldogs Bite
10-10-2008, 07:55 PM
Campbell was the midfield coach in '07, and the forward coach of '08 right?

Somewhat of a coincidence then that the midfield was worse than poor in '07 - although the whole side was - and the forward half possibly cost us a GF birth in '08.

;)

It might have something to do with personnel, but blaming Campbell is a better alternative considering he's just left. :p

Mantis
10-10-2008, 10:11 PM
Campbell was the midfield coach in '07, and the forward coach of '08 right?

Somewhat of a coincidence then that the midfield was worse than poor in '07 - although the whole side was - and the forward half possibly cost us a GF birth in '08.

It might have something to do with personnel, but blaming Campbell is a better alternative considering he's just left. :p

I can't see how this is correct.

We played with a short forwaradline all year yet still kicked over 100pts in 17 of our 24 games. I think our forwardline functioned pretty well.

GVGjr
10-10-2008, 11:28 PM

Do you really think so? I think he would be a failure much like Don Scott was as a coach.

BulldogBelle
10-10-2008, 11:31 PM

Well done to the Blues for snaring Robert Harvey...the knowledge he will be able to relay onto some of those blues will be invaluable. As an assistant coach at the Dogs he would have been my second choice afer the great man C Grant.

Good luck to Wayne Campbell & I wish him the best, he is back at his old stomping ground guess you can't take the tiger out of the man...just as you couldn't take the dog out of Cameron.

LostDoggy
11-10-2008, 12:17 AM
I think its hilarious the amount of driftwood the tiges pick up from us, although I do miss Jordi's mo...

Pagan to the dogs anyone? Or has he already found a home?

GVGjr
11-10-2008, 12:18 AM
Pagan to the dogs anyone? Or has he already found a home?

Coach of the U18's side the Northern Knights

LostDoggy
11-10-2008, 12:32 AM
Will this be the first guy to leave Rockets coaching or fitness team where he hasn't blamed that they got a far better financial offer elsewhere ?

All Bark no Bite
11-10-2008, 01:28 AM
Will this be the first guy to leave Rockets coaching or fitness team where he hasn't blamed that they got a far better financial offer elsewhere ?

Maybe but the footy clubs always have a pick of excuses on standby wonder what the spin will be on Campbell.

Scraggers
11-10-2008, 04:34 AM
I know this is a little bit left field ... but what about James Hird ... I'm sure he said he wanted to be an assistant coach in 2009 ... He'd look good in the tri-colours

The Coon Dog
11-10-2008, 05:55 AM

If you've heard some of the figures bandied about you'd probably understand he's speaking nothing but the truth.

I'm sure he said Wellman wanted to link up with a mate at Melbourne, nothing to do with money.

Bond doubled his salary & took on additional responsibilities at Fremantle. Visy dollars don't appear to be concerned with the current stock market plight so Monty will be OK. Why did Justin Cordy leave Cricket Australia to join Carlton?

Dogs 24/7
11-10-2008, 04:10 PM
If you've heard some of the figures bandied about you'd probably understand he's speaking nothing but the truth.

Sorry but I don't share that blind faith in Eades word. That mass exodus wasn't just because of money despite what he might say.

Dogs 24/7
11-10-2008, 04:13 PM
I know this is a little bit left field ... but what about James Hird ... I'm sure he said he wanted to be an assistant coach in 2009 ... He'd look good in the tri-colours
Wow, what a public relations boost that would be to land someone of his profile. He could also be a big difference from a membership and even sponsorship perspective. I'm not sure why but I thought he was very busy with his own business.

The Coon Dog
11-10-2008, 06:08 PM
Sorry but I don't share that blind faith in Eades word. That mass exodus wasn't just because of money despite what he might say.

Enlighten me then.

bornadog
11-10-2008, 06:21 PM

Wallet said on SEN yesterday, that as soon as Royal told him he was leaving, he rang Campbell to offer him the role. Wallet also stated, Campbell was always going to return to the club once he had completed a stint at another club.

Royal, anyone, to the Dogs?

LostDoggy
11-10-2008, 06:30 PM

This would be a very hard call I would imagine but my gut feel is that this is unlikely to happen. Most supporters would love Choco back at the club but he has a strong personality and the question would be more around if could he fit in with Eades style.
I'm not convinced that Cameron is the right 2IC and I would prefer a stronger presence but I think Eade prefers the more junior or first coaching stint guys so he can mould them to his own style.

Bulldog Revolution
11-10-2008, 07:17 PM
Wallet said on SEN yesterday, that as soon as Royal told him he was leaving, he rang Campbell to offer him the role. Wallet also stated, Campbell was always going to return to the club once he had completed a stint at another club.

The Richmond club website says that Royal will be coaching the forward line, I've seen no talk of Royal leaving the Tigers anywhere else

Topdog
11-10-2008, 09:06 PM

Still yet to hear any of them utter a bad word about the Bulldogs after leaving.

LostDoggy
11-10-2008, 09:30 PM

2 of them left for the money. All the others had issues with the coach I cant say more than that.

Topdog
12-10-2008, 01:06 AM
2 of them left for the money. All the others had issues with the coach I cant say more than that.

How many left again? My memory is telling me 4.

MrMahatma
12-10-2008, 07:03 AM
What about Westy?

Topdog
12-10-2008, 10:14 AM
Westy should go to another club for 2-3 years IMO.

bornadog
12-10-2008, 12:08 PM
The Richmond club website says that Royal will be coaching the forward line, I've seen no talk of Royal leaving the Tigers anywhere else

Actually I think your right, I mis understood. I believe Royal is moving to coach the forwards and Campbell slipping into his roll. Sorry, my mistake.

Happy Days
12-10-2008, 08:35 PM
Do you really think so? I think he would be a failure much like Don Scott was as a coach.

I have to agree...seems like his leadership and motivational abilities were derived more from his on-field exploits than anywhere else.

The Coon Dog
14-10-2008, 08:47 AM
Paul Hudson is one we can rule out, he's picked up an assistants job at Collingwood.

aker39
15-10-2008, 04:59 PM
We can rule out Nigel Lappin - he's gone to the Cats.

We are going to be left with the scraps if we don't hurry up.

Sedat
15-10-2008, 05:23 PM
Interesting to read that Teflon's trusty sidekick Paul Armstrong has left the Tigers and taken up a senior position at the AFLCA, reporting directly to Frawley. Also Choco Royal will remain at Tigerland after negotiations with Freo fell through at the last hurdle - does anyone think think that Mark Harvey wanted someone a little less qualified and less of a danger to his position sitting alongside him in the Freo coaches box?

Bulldog Revolution
15-10-2008, 11:15 PM
Interesting to read that Teflon's trusty sidekick Paul Armstrong has left the Tigers and taken up a senior position at the AFLCA, reporting directly to Frawley. Also Choco Royal will remain at Tigerland after negotiations with Freo fell through at the last hurdle - does anyone think think that Mark Harvey wanted someone a little less qualified and less of a danger to his position sitting alongside him in the Freo coaches box?

I think Harvey cleverly wanted a experienced lietenaunt, and look Royal probably, and deservedly so would have cost more than Barry Mitchell. For Royal to move his family west the Dockers would have had to come to the party, so maybe it came down to cash.

Scraggers
16-10-2008, 02:55 AM
We can rule out Nigel Lappin - he's gone to the Cats.

We are going to be left with the scraps if we don't hurry up.

I don't know that Nigel is such a great loss ... particularly to our needs

Scraggers
21-10-2008, 11:47 AM
With Wayne Campbell going back to Richmond and being touted as a senior coach (one day) AND with Kevin Sheedy being confirmed as the 'new face' of Tigerland in their membership drive, should Terry Wallace have one eye on his back to watch for knives ???

As soon as I heard Sheedy was going back to Richmond I thought of him in a mentoring role for Campbell as he takes over as senior coach towards the end of this year ... or am I reading too much into this ??

GVGjr
21-10-2008, 12:23 PM
With Wayne Campbell going back to Richmond and being touted as a senior coach (one day) AND with Kevin Sheedy being confirmed as the 'new face' of Tigerland in their membership drive, should Terry Wallace have one eye on his back to watch for knives ???

As soon as I heard Sheedy was going back to Richmond I thought of him in a mentoring role for Campbell as he takes over as senior coach towards the end of this year ... or am I reading too much into this ??

Who knows but I wouldn't have thought that Campbell could pressure Wallace in any capacity. Campbell replacing Wallace could be a good move for the rest of the competition.

bulldogtragic
21-10-2008, 03:17 PM
I hope Wallace gets his cummupence.