PDA

View Full Version : Stormy weather ahead for the club?

Dry Rot
10-10-2008, 01:12 PM
The club lost their major sponsor, they haven't found a replacement and IMO could be in deep financial poo in 2009.

And IMO if we have hard financial/economic conditions here in 2009, membership will take a bad hit. Our debts will be much harder to rollover/refinance.

IIRC North just signed up a good new deal with Mazda. We are now looking the worst or second worst club off-field ATM.

Thoughts?

Desipura
10-10-2008, 01:16 PM
I think the sun did not come up for you this morning. Its only October, its not the end of the world. The financial crisis makes it difficult, things are not gloomy for ever.

Dry Rot
10-10-2008, 01:20 PM
I think the sun did not come up for you this morning. Its only November, its not the end of the world. The financial crisis makes it difficult, things are not gloomy for ever.

Very sunny up here today, thank you. :)

Will be gloomy for at least next year, or very bleak. Been reading about cut backs in advertising? Lot of multinationals out here will be making lots of cuts in various areas.

LostDoggy
10-10-2008, 04:55 PM
More worried about the on-field stocks -- if the team is playing/going well on the park, a lot of the doom and gloom gets papered over and other teams come in to help and the AFL's hands are forced in terms of keeping the club afloat.

If we were broke AND sitting near or at the bottom, then it's bad times -- watch the knives come out as the journos gleefully report on our impending demise.

Where is the improvement going to come from? If the young'us stay fit -- Higgo, Tommygun; some of the second year guys come on -- Ward, Grant, Boumann; Welsh has a bumper second year (as recruits so often do), Willy gets better at his spot (which he should anyway), and everyone stays at the same level as this year, we'll be there or thereabouts again (THIS YEAR was a great chance still -- Tommygun was the one structural piece of the jigsaw we were missing in the finals).

But if people start getting injured, the rookies don't quite make it, the older guys start falling off -- it could be really tough.. we don't really have the kind of match-winners that can just drag a club along even if the list is struggling.

I'm worried we'll come back to the field abit next year.

LostDoggy
10-10-2008, 05:11 PM
But on the thread -- DR, that's why I've always maintained that the Dogs need local-type sponsors associated with the west rather than a huge multi-national. What's a big ol' western suburbs type corporate?

Maybe someone like Delfin -- God knows they're going great guns out west.

Now that we have a real-estate type thing, how about a bank that does home loans? NAB and ANZ both have community/grass-roots type initiatives. But maybe Westpac or Citibank, being far more innovative...

and finally, throw in a few shopping centres in the area -- Centro etc.

And because they're not going to pack the same financial muscle as some MNC get them all together and sit down and work out some sort of feel-good story to join them all together..

we get some money, the big boys get a grassroots, social responsibility type story that adds to their brand equity and a big, honking presence at the Whitten Oval overlooking the highway. We need to rethink this 'major sponsor' model, if it's not working for us -- any money is better than no money.

Dry Rot
10-10-2008, 05:29 PM
or Citibank,

and finally, throw in a few shopping centres in the area -- Centro etc.

You haven't seen financial news for 6 months?

Citibank isn't well, Centro is stuffed and listed property companies in trouble...the list goes on.

In any event, marketing budgets are being slashed here now - there will be bugger all sponsorship dollars going around.

bulldogtragic
10-10-2008, 05:39 PM
You haven't seen financial news for 6 months?

Citibank isn't well, Centro is stuffed and listed property companies in trouble...the list goes on.

In any event, marketing budgets are being slashed here now - there will be bugger all sponsorship dollars going around.
Maybe we can pass the that around, and take turns of becoming president.

The Woof Western Bulldogs

Sedat
10-10-2008, 06:19 PM
DR makes a good point about the current economic climate. We are sheltered a little from just what is happening in the northern hemisphere at the moment. I just got back from the UK this week, and the talk is all doom and gloom in Europe, and catastrophic in the USA - consumer spending has ground to a halt in these markets. If the sponsor of the world's wealthiest football club, Man Utd, can so rapidly fall to the brink of financial ruin, it makes life tough for sporting organisations to generate increases in sporting revenue.

Dogs 24/7
11-10-2008, 04:21 PM
We would have known for 4 or 5 months beforehand that Leaseplan were unlikely to commit again so a lot of time has passed and I don't think we are close to replacing them as the major sponsor and as Sedat said, it's a very tough economic climate as sponsorship is something a lot of companies are likely to cut.
After our better than expected season it's a shame that things just haven't fell into place for us but life is not meant to be easy ;)

Topdog
12-10-2008, 01:16 AM
Yeah I'm really worried about the state of our club with the current way the World is going. For some reason Australia seems to think it won't be hit hard by this economic crisis but I really can't see that happening. It is imperitive that we have a good season on the field next year.

BulldogBelle
12-10-2008, 01:31 AM
The club lost their major sponsor, they haven't found a replacement and IMO could be in deep financial poo in 2009.

Yes, they are still searching for a sponsor...I have placed up an article by Caroline Wilson on the Dogs Day board that talks about sponsorships.

LostDoggy
12-10-2008, 01:40 PM
Interesting article on the dergulation of Betting Agencies advertising. I would imagine that we would be the front runners for an prospective betting agency for sponsorship. Only problem is the stigma of being associated with gambling, especially a western suburbs based club.:(

MrMahatma
13-10-2008, 03:33 AM
We may have to alter our major sponsorship structure for game by game, or month by month type deal. Rather than 2 years, get 4 matches for x amount... and try and sell a few of them.

It'd be more work, and less security, but potentially more lucrative too. Crisis breeds opportunity.

I'm sure all avenues are being considered.

The facts are: We're a top 4 side, we've played through to a pre-lim this year, play in every state of the nation, and have the reigning brownlow medalist in our side, are one of the highest score/best to watch teams going around, have new facilities, a media-savvy coach. We're a good bet for sponsors.

What we need is to get across the line for a flag.

If we were to win the flag in the next year or two, I honestly think we'll go well ahead financially. I know it seems obvious, but at the moment we're synonymous with 'near enough is good enough'... not a sponsor's dream.

Here's hoping there's something in the pipeline.

LostDoggy
13-10-2008, 08:52 AM
We may have to alter our major sponsorship structure for game by game, or month by month type deal. Rather than 2 years, get 4 matches for x amount... and try and sell a few of them.

It'd be more work, and less security, but potentially more lucrative too. Crisis breeds opportunity.

I'm sure all avenues are being considered.

The facts are: We're a top 4 side, we've played through to a pre-lim this year, play in every state of the nation, and have the reigning brownlow medalist in our side, are one of the highest score/best to watch teams going around, have new facilities, a media-savvy coach. We're a good bet for sponsors.

What we need is to get across the line for a flag.

If we were to win the flag in the next year or two, I honestly think we'll go well ahead financially. I know it seems obvious, but at the moment we're synonymous with 'near enough is good enough'... not a sponsor's dream.

Here's hoping there's something in the pipeline.

We also are club that is more family friendly than Hawthorn and is not tainted by the whiff of scandal, drink driving, drugs, being rude to sponsors on golf days, getting into fights representing Australia overseas and so on. The dream club really - if we win a flag the sponsors would be fighting to get us.:)

craigsahibee
13-10-2008, 01:32 PM
More worried about the on-field stocks -- if the team is playing/going well on the park, a lot of the doom and gloom gets papered over and other teams come in to help and the AFL's hands are forced in terms of keeping the club afloat.

If we were broke AND sitting near or at the bottom, then it's bad times -- watch the knives come out as the journos gleefully report on our impending demise.

Where is the improvement going to come from? If the young'us stay fit -- Higgo, Tommygun; some of the second year guys come on -- Ward, Grant, Boumann; Welsh has a bumper second year (as recruits so often do), Willy gets better at his spot (which he should anyway), and everyone stays at the same level as this year, we'll be there or thereabouts again (THIS YEAR was a great chance still -- Tommygun was the one structural piece of the jigsaw we were missing in the finals).

But if people start getting injured, the rookies don't quite make it, the older guys start falling off -- it could be really tough.. we don't really have the kind of match-winners that can just drag a club along even if the list is struggling.

I'm worried we'll come back to the field abit next year.

I'm not too concerned if we come back to the field a bit next year, and I actually expect us too. We have to look at the development of our tall guys in Williams, Grant, Boumann etc over the next 3 - 4 years. If we can get them up and firing while Cooney, Griff and Cross are in the 26 - 28 age bracket we will be ok

LostDoggy
13-10-2008, 07:11 PM
With the financial crisis though you don't want to have one of those years you are flirting with the bottom 8, because we already have a reputation for being a potential basketcase -- drop off too much and the pressure will get pretty heavy.

I don't know why I said Centro, was just thinking out loud -- share price dropped last year so quick that people got nosebleeds. Makes some of these share price drops last week look tame in comparison! Okay, Centro is out.

BulldogBelle
14-10-2008, 01:51 AM
A little snippet from an article..

Courier Mail (http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/afl/story/0,27046,24491946-5016169,00.html)

Bulldogs chief executive Campbell Rose is confident they will have a new sponsor ready to roll out in January. (LeasePlan sponsorship expires Dec 31)

"We have a valuable asset and see ourselves as an attractive proposition," Rose said.

"We're strongly positioned in the marketplace, having finished an excellent season.

"We have a number of proposals in the market which are gaining traction."

Rose conceded the global financial crisis had created challenges.

"The market downturn has produced some new hurdles, but none that can't be overcome," Rose said.

"Getting a new sponsor is the No. 1 focus for the whole of the club."

Bulldog4life
14-10-2008, 11:46 AM

Courier Mail (http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/afl/story/0,27046,24491946-5016169,00.html)

Bulldogs chief executive Campbell Rose is confident they will have a new sponsor ready to roll out in January. (LeasePlan sponsorship expires Dec 31)

"We have a valuable asset and see ourselves as an attractive proposition," Rose said.

"We're strongly positioned in the marketplace, having finished an excellent season.

"The market downturn has produced some new hurdles, but none that can't be overcome," Rose said.

I read that too BB. It sounds promising. Seeing how LeasePlan's sponsorship doesn't expire till the 31st of December maybe an announcement won't be made about any new Sponsor till a lot closer to that date.

bornadog
14-10-2008, 02:37 PM
I read that too BB. It sounds promising. Seeing how LeasePlan's sponsorship doesn't expire till the 31st of December maybe an announcement won't be made about any new Sponsor till a lot closer to that date.

It would be nice if we got a really big sponsorship amount, including naming rights at HQ

Bulldog4life
14-10-2008, 04:47 PM
It would be nice if we got a really big sponsorship amount, including naming rights at HQ

That is definitely further incentive for a major sponsor to consider.

hujsh
14-10-2008, 04:52 PM

That's nice but I'm more interested if companies with money find us attractive

Topdog
14-10-2008, 07:35 PM
That's nice but I'm more interested if companies with money find us attractive

If you read 2 more lines you would see the following.

Which seems to indicated that some do.

hujsh
14-10-2008, 09:57 PM
If you read 2 more lines you would see the following.

Which seems to indicated that some do.

Doesn't mean much to me.

I'll be worried untill there's someone announced

craigsahibee
15-10-2008, 09:37 AM
I see Richmond are about to sign the Australian arm of AIG as their main sponsor. This is the same company, albeit the US business, that was bailed out by the US Government to the tune of US squillions of dollars. Gee, I hope it doesn't go pear shaped for the Tiges (he types with his tongue planted firmly in his cheek)

Dry Rot
02-11-2008, 08:29 PM

And IMO if we have hard financial/economic conditions here in 2009, membership will take a bad hit. Our debts will be much harder to rollover/refinance.

IIRC North just signed up a good new deal with Mazda. We are now looking the worst or second worst club off-field ATM.

Thoughts?

Everything I've been reading suggests that the govt's December stimulus measures will fail and in any event things are a lot worse here than we think. We look we are heading for a nasty recession.

If this occurs, membership will take probably take a dive and it will be extremely difficult to get a new sponsor.

IMO we could be in some real strife off-field in 2009 and 2010.

GVGjr
02-11-2008, 09:35 PM
Everything I've been reading suggests that the govt's December stimulus measures will fail and in any event things are a lot worse here than we think. We look we are heading for a nasty recession.

If this occurs, membership will take probably take a dive and it will be extremely difficult to get a new sponsor.

IMO we could be in some real strife off-field in 2009 and 2010.

Not much any of us here can do about the worlds economy nor the lack of a sponsor but the last thing I heard was that we had two potential candidates. We just have to hope that a sponsor will come forward before the end of the year at at worst by the end of January.
The real impact will be on club memberships as people look at saving some dollars here and there. That monthly payment option might help some spread out the costs.

Dry Rot
02-11-2008, 09:41 PM
Hope you're right about the potential sponsor and we can lock them before the end of the year before the shit hits the fan early next year.

The problem they have is that advertising/marketing budgets are being slashed now.

The Coon Dog
03-11-2008, 12:22 AM
I see Richmond are about to sign the Australian arm of AIG as their main sponsor. This is the same company, albeit the US business, that was bailed out by the US Government to the tune of US squillions of dollars. Gee, I hope it doesn't go pear shaped for the Tiges (he types with his tongue planted firmly in his cheek)

In Hutchy's column in today's paper (sorry no link) he said that the deal fell over within 24 hours of it being signed.

Dry Rot
03-11-2008, 12:30 AM
In Hutchy's column in today's paper (sorry no link) he said that the deal fell over within 24 hours of it being signed.

Makes sense - head office in the States would have spewed when they heard about it.

Topdog
04-11-2008, 08:54 AM
So Richmond still don't have a sponser either, along with us and Melbourne?

Nasty stuff.

The Coon Dog
07-11-2008, 05:56 AM
Sponsor bails out on Tigers (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24614005-19742,00.html)

RICHMOND has been gutted by the collapse of a lucrative sponsorship deal with global insurance and financial services giant AIG.

The Tigers, who were poised to use the financial powerhouse as a back-of-jumper partner, now have to re-enter the marketplace to find a major sponsor before next season.

The AIG deal was believed to be worth $800,000 a season over three years and would have seen the company join Dick Smith Electronics as co-major backers of the Tigers.

But AIG executives, increasingly concerned about the global financial crisis, pulled the pin last month.

The American-based company had also become wary of any negative publicity.

Less than a week after the US Government committed $85 billion to bail it out, AIG executives blew $440,000 on a week-long retreat at a luxury resort in California.

Sources said Richmond was stunned by the decision, which came after several months of negotiations and repeated verbal assurances that the deal was as good as done.

Comment was sought from AIG yesterday.

A Tigers spokeswoman said the club had started looking for another major sponsor.

"We have been engaged with a number of parties regarding sponsorship and continue to be involved in further discussions," the spokeswoman said.

"No heads of agreement had ever been executed with AIG and AIG has since confirmed that they will not be pursuing a sponsorship with the Richmond Football Club."

"This is a very opportune time to be associated with the Richmond Football Club.

"Notwithstanding the on-field performance, there are some very exciting factors including the Punt Rd redevelopment and a very favourable draw that includes 16 free-to-air games."

Scraggers
07-11-2008, 11:18 AM
Makes you almost feel sorry for the Tiges ..... Naaah !!! :D

Dry Rot
14-11-2008, 12:59 AM
Everything I'm hearing from finance mates suggests that now it isn't a case of whether we'll have a recession here, but how deep.

Short of one of those betting agencies becoming our sponsor, it now looks like we won't get a replacement for Leaseplan.

What impact will no sponsor and a crash in membership numbers have on the club? NB support facilities/people for the team

GVGjr
14-11-2008, 07:29 AM
Everything I'm hearing from finance mates suggests that now it isn't a case of whether we'll have a recession here, but how deep.

Agreed, it's a gloomy outlook.

Short of one of those betting agencies becoming our sponsor, it now looks like we won't get a replacement for Leaseplan.

I don't see that as a given at all.

What impact will no sponsor and a crash in membership numbers have on the club? NB support facilities/people for the team

Despite no announcement for another sponsor I see no basis for the assumption that we won't find one. I also don't think we will experience a crash in membership numbers but no doubt it will be tough.

Dry Rot
14-11-2008, 01:11 PM
I don't see that as a given at all.

Despite no announcement for another sponsor I see no basis for the assumption that we won't find one.

IMO it will take a miracle for the club to land a major $$$$ sponsor. Most people don't realise how bad things are now, and they're going to get a lot worse. Advertising/promotional/media budgets are being slashed and corporate finance has all but dried up.

Aside from the betting agencies, if a listed company announced a major sponsorship in these times, the shareholders would lynch the board.

I also don't think we will experience a crash in membership numbers but no doubt it will be tough.

Current estimates of the increase in unemployment in 2009 range from about 30% to 110% - I suspect that could lead to a crash in consumer confidence, willingness to spend disposable income and Bulldogs membership.

Go_Dogs
14-11-2008, 01:31 PM
IMO it will take a miracle for the club to land a major $$$$ sponsor. Most people don't realise how bad things are now, and they're going to get a lot worse. Advertising/promotional/media budgets are being slashed and corporate finance has all but dried up.

Aside from the betting agencies, if a listed company announced a major sponsorship in these times, the shareholders would lynch the board.

Current estimates of the increase in unemployment in 2009 range from about 30% to 110% - I suspect that could lead to a crash in consumer confidence, willingness to spend disposable income and Bulldogs membership.

I'm starting to get a little nervous, and given the economy could well remain as volatile as it currently is until 2011, it might be time for mild concern.

Out of curiosity, how much of a financial commitment does a major sponsor make during a financial year?

hujsh
14-11-2008, 02:42 PM

You sound like my text book:D

LostDoggy
14-11-2008, 03:14 PM

All the more reaons why a business needs to be out there out-marketing their opposition because new business won't be so easy to win

And that's from my marketing text book most unlike the text book for pragmatic economists who all rank below Collingwood supporters

Dry Rot
14-11-2008, 04:10 PM
All the more reaons why a business needs to be out there out-marketing their opposition because new business won't be so easy to win

And that's from my marketing text book most unlike the text book for pragmatic economists who all rank below Collingwood supporters

That's the trouble with textbooks vs real life - they are just textbooks.

Have you been reading the massive revenue and profit downgrades coming out now from the media analysts?

And finance and credit is so tight that few companies would dare to announce a new sports sponsorship.

Getting a new sponsor now will be extremely hard.

GVGjr
14-11-2008, 05:23 PM

If things are as grim as your financial mates believe, then even landing a major sponsor won't be enough.

It's a shame the these financial experts aren't that good at predicting these problems before they occur as they are about highlighting the possible extent of them after a crash.

Dry Rot
14-11-2008, 05:28 PM
If things are as grim as your financial mates believe, then even landing a major sponsor won't be enough.

It's a shame the these financial experts aren't that good at predicting these problems before they occur as they are about highlighting the possible extent of them after a crash.

Some of my mates did. :)

Many now think it will worse than the 1973-74 recession. :(

GVGjr
14-11-2008, 05:30 PM
Out of curiosity, how much of a financial commitment does a major sponsor make during a financial year?

I depends on a few things but somewhere around $800,000 might be in the ball park.

Bulldog4life
14-11-2008, 06:56 PM

You can talk to 10 Economists or finance experts and get 10 different answers on the future of the economy.
I discovered that this is even more so recently. Out of interest how many of your mates did you speak to?

Dry Rot
14-11-2008, 07:28 PM
You can talk to 10 Economists or finance experts and get 10 different answers on the future of the economy.
I discovered that this is even more so recently. Out of interest how many of your mates did you speak to?

Five in funds management and broking. All had the same view. Was told that was pretty well the view of their colleagues too.

Also do some part-time work for a funds manager, so get to see private research from brokers and analysts. Pretty scary stuff.

For all our sakes, I hope they're wrong, but the news gets worse every day. I have never seen something like GMAC and GE pull out of the car dealership finance market before.

Bulldog4life
14-11-2008, 08:37 PM
Five in funds management and broking. All had the same view. Was told that was pretty well the view of their colleagues too.

Also do some part-time work for a funds manager, so get to see private research from brokers and analysts. Pretty scary stuff.

For all our sakes, I hope they're wrong, but the news gets worse every day. I have never seen something like GMAC and GE pull out of the car dealership finance market before.

Yes I agree it doesn't look good. In regards to sponsorship I read a couple of days ago that the AFL is working with the Club to help find a sponsor. Hopefully this can help.

On a different tact it seems unjust that the AFL actually competes with the 16 Clubs to obtain sponsoship when the 16 Clubs actually make up the AFL.

Dry Rot
14-11-2008, 08:47 PM
On a different tact it seems unjust that the AFL actually competes with the 16 Clubs to obtain sponsoship when the 16 Clubs actually make up the AFL.

Totally agree NB exclusive deals the AFL has, cutting out clubs from getting sponsorship from competitors.

Dancin' Douggy
14-11-2008, 09:14 PM
There's always a winner. When things are at their absolute worst the scavengers win. The vultures.

Cash Converters would be a blue ribbon sponsor for any club right now.

Scraggers
14-11-2008, 10:23 PM

The sky is falling ... The sky is falling ...

Topdog
15-11-2008, 06:25 PM
The sky is falling ... The sky is falling ...

In this case it actually is. We are in a really bleak environment and anyone who can't see that need just look at what happened to Richmond.

Dry Rot
20-11-2008, 10:55 AM
A big problem across various sports

Code red: this game is turning ugly

Jacquelin Magnay
November 20, 2008

WE KNOW, because the Herald's economics guru Ross Gittins tells us so, that we are in a crisis. We probably knew this deep down, but it wasn't until someone in respectful authority put things in simple language that the message was hammered home.

And if professional sportsmen haven't realised it yet, they are going to get a pay cut. "Oh sugar," you won't hear them say.

This week the global pharmaceutical giant Johnson & Johnson cut its sponsorship of the International Olympic Committee. The Cronulla Sharks announced they have enough cash flow - courtesy of a $500,000 line of credit - to get through until the new year. Britain's Minister for the Olympics, slashing construction plans, said London would not have bid for the 2012 Games had it known of the coming economic slump. The AFL has deferred the granting of a licence for the 17th team, on the Gold Coast, quaintly explaining the new franchise had to provide "further analysis and financial modelling of the impact of the new club on the existing competition". In real speak, this means the other clubs don't like the dilution of the AFL's dollars as even more troubled times loom.

Rugby league agents are frantically trying to upgrade player contracts and tie up deals, fearing salary cap money may dry up.

Elsewhere, the Federal Government announced a funding package of $18 million for sporting organisations, money to keep clubs ticking over until a funding review is complete.

It is not going to be good news. (However, the federal stamp of approval for $55 million has been given for Football Federation Australia to lobby for the 2018 World Cup. Canberra must just pick an opportune time to announce it. My bet is just before Christmas when no one will notice.)

From the number of junior sporting club registrations - that $100-plus for a child to simply register to run around a paddock - to the squillions paid to clubs by corporate giants in return for comfy box seats at stadiums, the income of sports is being squeezed uncomfortably tight.

Some clubs will merge. Others will die. Yet history shows that in hard times the small thrills count and nationalism intensifies. Support for sporting teams will boom, along with betting and buying lipstick. We will care much more about the Wallabies' need for tight-head props, cricket's spin bowling crisis and the health of AFL bad boy Ben Cousins. As sponsorships are cut, attendance at games and memberships of clubs may rise.

This week Australian league players learnt they will each receive a $30,000 bonus for their dominant display in the World Cup, putting the ARL into the red for this particular competition.

To most people, this defies logic, let alone economic sense.

This one-team Kangaroo contest has had a no-care atmosphere about it all month. Mr Gittins, we need you to explain.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/opinion/code-red-this-game-is-turning-ugly/2008/11/19/1226770541435.html

The Coon Dog
21-12-2008, 05:40 AM
Tigers punt on AFL approving Sportsbet deal (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24828534-19742,00.html)

RICHMOND this week will front the AFL seeking approval of a multi-million-dollar three-year sponsorship deal with bookmaking firm Sportsbet.

But the Tigers, fresh from signing Ben Cousins and enjoying an unprecedented pre-season membership boost and merchandising feast, must convince the AFL to overlook a protected sponsor, Tabcorp, whose contract ends at the end of next season.

The Sunday Herald Sun understands the Sportsbet deal could bring $2.4 million into Richmond's coffers, plus a few bonuses, including $100,000 if the club makes the finals.

In final negotiations late last week, Sportsbet added to the Cousins mania by offering to give the club $10,000 for every Brownlow Medal vote he earned next season.

Richmond president Gary March said his club was keen to add a major sponsor to join Dick Smith.

Nissan returned as a secondary sponsor this week.

March said the club had been approached by two bookmaking firms, and it is understood the club's acceptance of Sportsbet included the sponsor's name being on the back of the club jumper.

The AFL's three-year deal with Tabcorp and Betfair expires at the end of next season.

It is understood Betfair has no objection to a corporate bookmaker sponsoring a club.

March said he would urge the AFL to look favourably on the prospective deal.

"The AFL, which is most frustrating to us, don't disclose contractual details to the clubs," he said.

"It is frustrating to us that, in such difficult financial times, we can come to terms with new sponsors and then potentially hit a brick wall with the AFL.

"At a time when companies are pulling out of sports sponsorship, the corporate bookmakers have arrived with money now that deregulation has allowed them to advertise and sponsor in Victoria.

"We need to take advantage of this new pool of funds. We are not privy to the AFL's contract content agreement with Tabcorp. But it has a year to run. We are looking for a three-year deal with another betting outlet, which is the biggest corporate bookmaker in Australia.

"We don't want to have to wait for 12 months. Why should we?"

Sportsbet chief executive Matt Tripp confirmed his Northern Territory bookmaking business had been in negotiations with the Tigers.

"We recently were sponsors of the Australian Masters golf at Huntingdale, and we flagged our intention to sponsor football and promote sport in the Sunday Herald Sun last month," Tripp said.

"We will get heavily into country footy this season. And, yes, we hope to sponsor Richmond, but that must be cleared by the AFL.

"Regardless of the AFL's attitude to this issue, we will fulfil our promise to give the AFL 5 per cent of our gross profit on AFL betting next season, and we will open our books to them for any investigations they desire.

"We are committed to giving football a boost, at AFL and country level, and we only hope it will be this year with the Tigers."

The AFL could not be contacted yesterday, but is unlikely to consider a request by Richmond until after the Christmas break.

LostDoggy
21-12-2008, 01:04 PM
I thought Sportsbet were keen to sponsor us:(

Topdog
21-12-2008, 05:54 PM
The was just people knowing we didnt have a sponsor and putting 2 and 2 together.

Sedat
22-12-2008, 11:47 AM
Many now think it will worse than the 1973-74 recession. :(
I'm just a little too young to remember 73/74, but the years 89/92 wern't exactly a picnic in our part of the world (Victoria). Interest rates up around 18%, Pyramid collapse, Victoria losing its own State Bank, VEDC scandal, high unemployment, public transport unions bullying the govt and consumers into submission. To top it off, at the height of the financial misery, the Filth won the flag and the music charts were still infected with a combination of hair metal and Roxette (thankfully Nirvana came in and helped to cleanse the airwaves a year later, and the Pies have provided much mirth and merriment in the 19 years since that dark October day in 1990).

LostDoggy
22-12-2008, 12:02 PM
I'm just a little too young to remember 73/74, but the years 89/92 wern't exactly a picnic in our part of the world (Victoria). Interest rates up around 18%, Pyramid collapse, Victoria losing its own State Bank, VEDC scandal, high unemployment, public transport unions bullying the govt and consumers into submission. To top it off, at the height of the financial misery, the Filth won the flag and the music charts were still infected with a combination of hair metal and Roxette (thankfully Nirvana came in and helped to cleanse the airwaves a year later, and the Pies have provided much mirth and merriment in the 19 years since that dark October day in 1990).

As a committed "public Transport Unionist"....my memory of that time is a little different, i wouldn't call it bullying....i would call it "stong negotiations". While i see this time as being difficult i remain positive that the downturn will be short and the first positive news will be the Doggies securing a masive major partner in the early new year!!:cool:

GVGjr
24-12-2008, 12:44 AM
Some of the membership numbers the Melbourne based clubs are encouraging.
The Tigers are well ahead of the same time last year and the Dees are going very well and on top of that the Hawks are cashing in on their success last year.

HAWTHORN has cashed in on the 2008 premiership with pre-Christmas membership sales soaring almost 57 per cent.

The Hawks have already sold 30,087 memberships for 2009, up from 19,214 at the same time in 2007.

With 22 per cent new members, Hawthorn expect to beat last season’s record membership of 41,686.

Club president Jeff Kennett said he was delighted at the number of new or lapsed members who had signed up and at the growth of membership in Tasmania.

“The team has shown over the last few seasons that there are exciting times ahead for the club and it is encouraging that so many supporters have backed the club as financial members,” said Kennett.

“Tasmanians continue to get behind the club with 3753 members already signed up for the 2009 season of which 29 per cent are new members to the Hawks.”

The Hawks claim to be the first AFL club to sign 30,000 members before Christmas and believe the figure suggests the target of 50,000 can be achieved.

GVGjr
13-01-2009, 06:52 AM
http://www.realfooty.com.au/ffximage/2009/01/13/camMoneyClubs2_wideweb__470x213,0.jpg

Economic downturn will sink the boot into clubs

Jesse Hogan | January 13, 2009

"It is over 15 years since AFL clubs have had to operate in conditions of a severe economic downturn which appears almost certain in 2009."

"In summary, 2009 will be a most challenging year financially for the club."

"We expect the hospitality market to also be tough in 2009 … It reinforces how critical the support of our members will be in 2009."

SUPPORTERS of the poorest Victorian clubs — Melbourne, North Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs — would be well accustomed to being fed such gloomy sentiments in recent years. But when the club making these predictions is Essendon, far and away the richest of all of them, it should be sending a shockwave through all club administrations.

As the sporting spotlight has shifted to cricket in the past two months, most AFL clubs — St Kilda, Richmond and Fremantle being the exceptions — released their 2008 financial results without the usual scrutiny afforded to footy during winter.

Melbourne appears to be in the most dire financial position. Of the 13 teams to report, the Demons are the club whose debts outweigh their assets — a deficit of $3.8 million — which explains the urgency of new club president Jim Stynes' "Debt Demolition" campaign.

Only three of the 13 clubs reported an increase in profit for the year to October 31 compared to a year earlier: Hawthorn, North Melbourne and the Bulldogs. Furthermore, five of the others — Brisbane Lions, Collingwood, Melbourne, Port Adelaide and Sydney — lost money in 2008.

Little wonder that the Geelong Football Club has changed its website address from gfc.com.au to geelong cats.com.au, when the GFC on most people's minds at present is the Global Financial Crisis.

So what has gone wrong? Like most businesses, the financial crisis had an indirect impact on trading, but it also had a direct impact on two clubs that had invested their surplus cash in shares: Brisbane and Essendon.

The plunging local sharemarket forced Brisbane to write down the value of its share portfolio by $2 million, while Essendon had to cull the valuation of its shares by just over $250,000. While the loss is only a "paper loss", because the shares have not been sold and could regain value in coming years, Essendon chief operating officer Travis Auld denied the club had invested its money recklessly.

"We had some money in managed funds and it was a reasonably low-risk portfolio, but given the downturn in the market it didn't matter how low-risk you were — everybody got hit," he said. "If you look at our accounts over the past three or four years you'll see there's been some significant gains in there, so, at worst, we'd actually be break-even."

Similarly, Lions chairman Tony Kelly said the club remained hopeful "the value of our shares will return over the longer term".

The inclusion of Collingwood in the "loss" category for 2008 would surprise most, although that is also because of unwise investments. The Magpies should have posted a profit of $2.5 million for the year but instead ended with a loss of $3.28 million because of bad pub investments in the Beach Hotel in Albert Park and the Diamond Creek Tavern.

Unlike the Bombers and Lions, Collingwood's writedown cannot be rectified because it elected to sell the hotels at a loss of $5.77 million, rather than keeping them in the hope they would eventually regain value.

Collingwood president Eddie McGuire, whose board approved the pub deals, told supporters he would "totally dedicate myself and I'll get that money back for the Collingwood Football Club and you can take that to the bank".

A crucial indirect effect of the crisis — and one that is expected to worsen in 2009 — was corporate hospitality. Although not all clubs provide specific figures on how much they earned from selling corporate packages, Essendon confirmed its profit from that area sank 18.8 per cent to $3.25 million. Chief executive Peter Jackson said the trend of companies curbing spending became evident in the second half of last season.

"By mid-year we were tracking on target, however, the sudden and enormous drop in business and consumer confidence during January-June started impacting on those areas of our business most sensitive to declines in discretionary spending," Jackson said in Essendon's annual report to members.

"The outlook for 2009 for business operations remains uncertain at best. The second-tier sponsor market remains tough. We expect the hospitality market to also be tough in 2009. These are discretionary spending items for businesses and we expect the financial results in 2009 to reflect this fact."

That negative trend was, unsurprisingly, amplified for last season's worst-performing club, Melbourne.

"Through 2008, the club's core operations traded very poorly," the Demons' directors declared in their annual report. "The club's revenue generation fell well short of management's expectations at the start of the year, particularly in corporate partnerships, sponsorships, game-day hospitality and retail. Our match-day attendances were down, perhaps reflecting our struggling on-field performance."

Clubs are already pushing the AFL hard to help gain improved stadium deals, which is seen as one of the most important issue confronting the game.

While Melbourne's accounts did not specify the performance of gate receipts, among the falls in proceeds from fans who buy tickets for individual matches, Essendon suffered a 21.1 per cent decline in home match receipts.

North Melbourne's home gate receipts were down 12.1 per cent and Geelong's 48 per cent, due to not playing a home match at the MCG. Port Adelaide lost $310,000 from its home games at AAMI Stadium, prompting intense post-season discussions with the South Australian National Football League to amend the ground-hire terms.

"It would mean looking at all elements of it and trying to reduce the costs — variable and fixed costs — associated with playing our games at the stadium, but also all the good things we can do to make the experience for a lot better than what it has been at the stadium," Port chief Mark Haysman said.

What makes the situation worse for the Power it does not believe falling behind its "break-even" point of 26,000 to 27,000 spectators last season was a blip that can be easily remedied.

"We've had our lowest-ever crowd numbers but we're forecasting that same level of crowd numbers next year, despite all the things we're doing to try and improve in that area," Haysman said.

Frustration with stadium hire deals is not confined to Adelaide. The AFL last month launched legal action against Telstra Dome in an attempt to get access to the stadium's contract with Melbourne Victory, because it suspects the soccer team has a better deal than AFL clubs such as the Bulldogs and Kangaroos.

"There'd be no doubt that when Melbourne Victory's able to put on a game for 20,000 people they must be at least breaking even," Kangaroos chief executive Eugene Arocca told SEN last weekend. "We know for a fact that we can't break even for much less than 31,000-32,000."

One area with almost universally positive results involved profit from membership. The biggest increases from clubs that disclosed membership on its own was North Melbourne (up 81.8 per cent to $2.55 million) and Collingwood (up 11.8 per cent to $5.84 million).

Rising profit from membership is important to cover the rising football department costs — predominantly player wage increases — that clubs are faced with this year.

In 2008, only Essendon was able to cut its football costs, down 0.6 per cent to $12.7 million, while Collingwood spent the most with $16.3 million.

All AFL club accounts must be verified by auditors and, because the auditors are independent, they are compelled to detail any concerns they have about the finances, as they would have to do for any public company.

An example of this can be found in North Melbourne's annual results, courtesy of its audit firm Grant Thornton.

"The company currently has a net asset deficiency, excluding cash set aside for the redevelopment of Arden Street," Grant Thornton said.

"As a result of the matters described … there is significant uncertainty whether North Melbourne Football Club Ltd will be able to continue as a going concern and therefore whether it will realise its assets and extinguish its liabilities in the normal course of business and at the amounts stated in the financial report."

Similar sentiments are

expressed by the directors or auditors of Carlton, Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs, although each also cited the main reason why such issues are not fatal: a benefactor called the AFL.

"The Melbourne Football Club Limited is economically dependent on the ongoing support of the Australian Football League through receipt of distributions and dividends," said the Demons' report.

And the Bulldogs: "The company's directors consider the going concern assumption to be appropriate … as the AFL has committed to continued support."

And North Melbourne: "The company's directors consider the going concern assumption to be appropriate based on future operating performance and the Australian Football League's commitment to continued support."

In terms of the season ahead, Essendon predicts it is "over 15 years since AFL clubs have had to operate in conditions of a severe economic downturn which appears almost certain in 2009".

Auld's only comfort is that the Bombers "can suffer a little bit before we're in trouble and part of that's because of our revenue levels, part because we've got a healthy balance sheet".

"If your balance sheet's not strong you're going to be more susceptible in times like this," he said.

bornadog
13-01-2009, 03:23 PM
I am still worried about the massive loan we took out during 2008. There is no explanation in the financial accounts.

comrade
13-01-2009, 03:45 PM
I am still worried about the massive loan we took out during 2008. There is no explanation in the financial accounts.

They knew Ayce was coming, so stocked up on protein shakes.

ledge
13-01-2009, 04:22 PM
And pies.

Topdog
13-01-2009, 05:50 PM

This is just a guess but wouldn't it be for the WO redevelopment as we were worried that the local Government wouldn't release funds to us?

azabob
13-01-2009, 06:14 PM

Are you a financial memember of the club? if so, is it within your rights to ask the club why they took out the loan?

bornadog
13-01-2009, 06:52 PM
Are you a financial memember of the club? if so, is it within your rights to ask the club why they took out the loan?

Yes I am a member. Maybe I will write a letter.

bornadog
13-01-2009, 06:54 PM
This is just a guess but wouldn't it be for the WO redevelopment as we were worried that the local Government wouldn't release funds to us?

Not sure why they would do that when the funds are coming from the government. On a loan of that magnitude, the interest bill will be high.

Dry Rot
13-01-2009, 08:40 PM

It was to cover Tom Williams' past and future medical bills.

Twodogs
14-01-2009, 08:15 PM
It was to cover Tom Williams' past and future medical bills.

Or it could have been to pay the bill for all the pies that James Cook ate while he was at the club.

azabob
15-01-2009, 01:49 PM
Or it could have been to pay the bill for all the pies that James Cook ate while he was at the club.

That bloke was a serious waste of talent. Man if only he applied himself.....

Desipura
15-01-2009, 02:48 PM
That bloke was a serious waste of talent. Man if only he applied himself.....

If he had of applied himself, Carlton would never had let him come to us.

Dogs 24/7
15-01-2009, 08:54 PM
The concerning part is that there is no wind in the sails at the moment even indicating that we are close to signing a couple of sponsors.

GVGjr
15-01-2009, 08:58 PM
The concerning part is that there is no wind in the sails at the moment even indicating that we are close to signing a couple of sponsors.

Too true. I hope they can give us the inside word at the East West Training day. ;)

LostDoggy
17-01-2009, 04:31 PM
Grey Skies are gonna clear up put on a happy face.

Dry Rot
17-01-2009, 06:28 PM
Grey Skies are gonna clear up put on a happy face.

I'll be happier if we can maintain or increase our membership too.

BulldogBelle
17-01-2009, 08:01 PM

That is coming along nicely at the moment we are sitting at about 16,500 not to far behind last years total at this stage. The East West Day usually reigns in another 80-100 memberships.

Sockeye Salmon
17-01-2009, 10:43 PM

Don't be such a grumpy-bum.

You said if we could land a major sponsor it would be a miracle. How about a big smile.

Desipura
17-01-2009, 10:57 PM

You said if we could land a major sponsor it would be a miracle. How about a big smile.
I second that. My second post way back when Dryrot opened this post says it all. Gee I find glass half empty people annoying.
Lets just celebrate this good news instead of dwelling on the negatives.

alwaysadog
18-01-2009, 12:16 AM
I second that. My second post way back when Dryrot opened this post says it all. Gee I find glass half empty people annoying.
Lets just celebrate this good news instead of dwelling on the negatives.

Just leave my mate alone, some glasses are never full enough.

GVGjr
18-01-2009, 12:24 AM
We still have to find one to replace Ezybonds don't we?

ledge
18-01-2009, 12:27 AM
We still have to find one to replace Ezybonds don't we?

A shorts sponsor you mean?
Well our beloved president did say he was talking to a few companies about sponsorship, maybe one of those might come to the party.

Im thinking the Hose Doctor maybe?:D

Dry Rot
18-01-2009, 09:18 AM

Yes it was a miracle and here's a smile. :)

It's not often there's a major new FMCG entrant and few companies now will be expanding overseas like Mission did. A miracle indeed - as any other team will find if their sponsorship expires this year. It's doubly great that we have a major sponsor locked in for 3 years, given the economic uncertainty for that time.

I hate having our club rely on AFL handouts and every year we have an anxious wait on membership numbers. I don't know the club's financial breakup and the exact proportion of revenue that membership delivers but IIRC it's significant. If, as some predict, our economy begins to sour from next month then I'm very concerned about the impact on new memberships in February - April.

The Coon Dog
18-01-2009, 10:02 AM
I hate having our club rely on AFL handouts

I thought it was just ignorant supporters from other clubs & jerry who thought like this.

It's not a handout!!!

It's the AFL acknowledging the inequities in things like a uneven draw & bloody criminal stadium deals.

ledge
18-01-2009, 10:29 AM
I thought it was just ignorant supporters from other clubs & jerry who thought like this.

It's not a handout!!!

It's the AFL acknowledging the inequities in things like a uneven draw & bloody criminal stadium deals.

Its amazing how many times its bought up baz.

Carltons was the the handout as they are supposed to be this massive club with all the trimmings but stuffed it all up.
Which begs the question who was their last president who wasnt charged with a white collar crime?

If anyone has looked deeper into Carltons history, even their doorman had criminal ties and a major crime and drug family had the premiership flag that went missing, hierachyeing too scared to say no and too scared to ask for it back.

With Pratt and his price fixing, in effect his money was dirty money but the AFL accept it.

Us and Nth were the ones let down by the AFL with deals etc, Carlton is of their own doing.

GVGjr
18-01-2009, 10:31 AM
I hate having our club rely on AFL handouts and every year we have an anxious wait on membership numbers. I don't know the club's financial breakup and the exact proportion of revenue that membership delivers but IIRC it's significant. If, as some predict, our economy begins to sour from next month then I'm very concerned about the impact on new memberships in February - April.

Regarding the "handouts" I liken it to get a tax refund cheque. It sounds great and you might think the Government is your best friend but you soon realise that you are just getting that money that you were owed anyway. The AFL redistributes money to some clubs as compensation for taking a less favourable draw.
It's that simple really. You can call it a handout if you like but the reality is it's a redistribution and the vast majority of it is our money anyway.

Regarding the membership, financial crisis or not we struggle with that every year regardless so this year won't be any different to past ones.
Yes it's tough but the deal with Mission yesterday shows that there is a lot of hard work being done by a number of people at the club and with the sponsorship locked away the attention will focus on memberships. If we need to take a bit of a hit this year then so be it but on current numbers it's more likely to knock around potential growth than see something as dramatic as a 20% reduction in numbers.

Regarding the sponsorship with Mission, some might think that we were in someways lucky but the reality is that we beat 3 other teams for the signing (2 of them desperate) and luck had little to do with it. It's a two way street and both parties will benefit greatly from this.

Dry Rot
18-01-2009, 10:49 AM
Call it what you like but I don't trust those bastards at the AFL and IIRC they call the shots with those payments.

I want us to turn a profit ourselves, and then that payment will be some nice cream on the top.

LostDoggy
18-01-2009, 10:52 AM

Thoughts?

I just have this feeling that things will be ok. I had a dream about a large food company coming onboard as our sponsor.....

The Coon Dog
18-01-2009, 10:53 AM
Call it what you like but I don't trust those bastards at the AFL and IIRC they call the shots with those payments.

I want us to turn a profit ourselves, and then that payment will be some nice cream on the top.

Don't disagree at all; never have & never will.

It would be fantastic to turn a profit under our own steam, so hopefully the Victorian Government can assist us & North over the Stadium Deal at Telstra Dome.

ledge
18-01-2009, 10:55 AM
Is the government involved now?
How did that come about?

GVGjr
18-01-2009, 10:58 AM

The AFL have had plenty of chances to close the door on us but haven't. Yesterdays deal provides us with more time. It's a shame you haven't seen the real before and after of the Whitten Oval redevelopment because you would see the massive amount of work being done and how we have gone from being light years behind other team with facilities to now being the leader of the pack. In conjunction with that, the financial side of things will just need more time. We just have to be more patient.

We are getting there and with Rose focused on a improved stadium deal it's not that far away. I'm sorry it's not utopia right now but they are still knocking down the barriers. It's a work in progress but we are making progress.

alwaysadog
18-01-2009, 11:06 AM
While I accept what is said about the redistribution function the AFL conducts and I am certainly not of a mind to send the money back, I think there is more to it. The way it occurs makes us an easy target for attacks by the ignorant on the one hand, and on the other depends on the continued existence of the bumper financial situation the league has been in for some years now.

I hope this continues, but by allowing the league to not address the inequalitiy issues with the wealthy clubs who don't believe in equity let alone equality, and settling for a compensation handout approach we have accepted a weakened position that could well come under attack when the cupboard is bare.

So let's celebrate beating at least a couple of the supposed bigger clubs to a sponsorship deal and realise its strategic importance to the club and lets' stick out our hand for the AFL money. Let's also work towards a more equitable situation where compensation is not required because the inbuilt advantages of the current system are progressively replaced by fairer ones.

But don't ever let us forget that the long term goal is to make the club so financially secure that we are beholden to no one and can thumb our noses at our detractors.

So the glass is by no means empty, appears even to be rising in a promising fashion... but it is not yet full enough for the sustaining drink we need.

The Coon Dog
18-01-2009, 11:09 AM
Is the government involved now?
How did that come about?

Call for state help on venue deals (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=3928)

Sockeye Salmon
18-01-2009, 11:18 AM
While I accept what is said about the redistribution function the AFL conducts and I am certainly not of a mind to send the money back, I think there is more to it. The way it occurs makes us an easy target for attacks by the ignorant on the one hand, and on the other depends on the continued existence of the bumper financial situation the league has been in for some years now.

I hope this continues, but by allowing the league to not address the inequalitiy issues with the wealthy clubs who don't believe in equity let alone equality, and settling for a compensation handout approach we have accepted a weakened position that could well come under attack when the cupboard is bare.

So let's celebrate beating at least a couple of the supposed bigger clubs to a sponsorship deal and realise its strategic importance to the club and lets' stick out our hand for the AFL money. Let's also work towards a more equitable situation where compensation is not required because the inbuilt advantages of the current system are progressively replaced by fairer ones.

But don't ever let us forget that the long term goal is to make the club so financially secure that we are beholden to no one and can thumb our noses at our detractors.

So the glass is by no means empty, appears even to be rising in a promising fashion... but it is not yet full enough for the sustaining drink we need.

I would suggest the AFL would be open to a court challenge about manipulation of the draw and venues without the CBF.

aker39
18-01-2009, 12:02 PM
I don't know the club's financial breakup and the exact proportion of revenue that membership delivers but IIRC it's significant.

If you're a member, than you should have a copy of the clubs Annual Report. All of the information is in there.

Dry Rot
18-01-2009, 12:20 PM
If you're a member, than you should have a copy of the clubs Annual Report. All of the information is in there.

I am a member, but they often don't send me stuff eg my 2009 membership which I purchased a month ago. :(

aker39
18-01-2009, 12:35 PM
I am a member, but they often don't send me stuff eg my 2009 membership which I purchased a month ago. :(

If you purchased it a month ago, than no, you wouldn't have it yet. Membership department was closed for a couple of weeks over Xmas.

If you're not getting the Annual Report, ring the club and ask for one.

ledge
18-01-2009, 12:37 PM
Call for state help on venue deals (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=3928)

I cannot believe its Demetriou whingeing about how bad the deals are but the AFL made them!
Biggest problem is the AFL gave up all its grounds so the bargaining pressure has dissolved.
AFL park had its advantages!
I dont see what the Government can do about signed deals at the old Telstra dome now though, maybe the MCG.
It was long deals too wasnt it?

Dry Rot
18-01-2009, 01:04 PM
If you purchased it a month ago, than no, you wouldn't have it yet. Membership department was closed for a couple of weeks over Xmas.

you're not getting the Annual Report, ring the club and ask for one.

My membership was promised on the phone to be delivered pre-Xmas, and then again last week.

Bloody hopeless. Hardly inspires early purchase of a membership, or in my case effectively a donation.

ledge
18-01-2009, 01:33 PM
My membership was promised on the phone to be delivered pre-Xmas, and then again last week.

Bloody hopeless. Hardly inspires early purchase of a membership, or in my case effectively a donation.

Are you a friend of Jerrys?:D

As long as you get it before first game who cares.
So getting it next week instead of this week the difference is?
Besides getting it late you might have some Mission merchandise added now!

Dry Rot
18-01-2009, 01:37 PM
Are you a friend of Jerrys?:D

As long as you get it before first game who cares.
Besides getting it late you might have some Mission merchandise added now!

1. It's shithouse customer service

2. The club benefits from early membership - it hardly inspires that, does it?

3. Why should getting it before the first game matter? I don't use it in Sydney - it's a donation

BTW, I don't mind Freo ;)

ledge
18-01-2009, 01:46 PM
1. It's shithouse customer service

2. The club benefits from early membership - it hardly inspires that, does it?
3. Why should getting it before the first game matter? I don't use it in Sydney - it's a donation
BTW, I don't mind Freo ;)

Club still benefits and i believe for early membership you get merchandise, whether you get it this week or next week it doesnt make any difference.
Thats the plus of early membership, merchandise.
Does it say you will get your card early if you sign up early?

So it doesnt matter at all because its a donation anyway.

So your just whingeing for the sake of whingeing.

Dry Rot
18-01-2009, 02:01 PM
Club still benefits and i believe for early membership you get merchandise, whether you get it this week or next week it doesnt make any difference.
Thats the plus of early membership, merchandise.
Does it say you will get your card early if you sign up early?

So it doesnt matter at all because its a donation anyway.

So your just whingeing for the sake of whingeing.

It's poor customer service, just like their shit web site. And BTW I was told I'd get whatever they send before Xmas. Ditto many people who complained on another forum who purchased memberships for Xmas presents.

Are you one of the "club can do no wrong" brigade?

For a club which is light on for members and benefits from those who pay early, it's a poor effort which encourages neither.

ledge
18-01-2009, 02:27 PM
It's poor customer service, just like their shit web site. And BTW I was told I'd get whatever they send before Xmas. Ditto many people who complained on another forum who purchased memberships for Xmas presents.

Are you one of the "club can do no wrong" brigade?

For a club which is light on for members and benefits from those who pay early, it's a poor effort which encourages neither.

No i am not one of that brigade but no ones perfect and you can get unforseen problems.
I get your point on the Xmas present thing, but with the time in getting the draw off the AFL, getting the make up for the card, printing, xmas coming etc its a tight schedule.

I am in the printing trade and if one little thing isnt right it can set it back a couple of weeks.
Sadly people these days are just in a rush and want it and want it now in anything in life.
No patience.
My advice on any stuff like this is be patient and if it isnt there a week or 2 before season starts then ring.
But I also dont believe in anyone promising things they cant deliver on a time they gave.

Shit website? and its because you didnt get your membership on time?
You obviously read it to know.
And as far as website is concerned, look at all the club websites, they are generic.
Its obviously another AFL contract to use it.
Why do some people always find something to whinge about?

LostDoggy
18-01-2009, 02:31 PM
Getting back to the thread title. The next battle we are lining up for would be the stadium deal with Collins. If we are successful in getting that more equitable in terms of payment for the crowd size etc we are a step closer to being financially independent.

We have turned a profit for the past two years with Leaseplan as our sponsor. We now have a sponsor who is giving us $500,000 more a year, if we can at least maintain our current membership number, (although I am optimistic that we will get to 30,000 on last years performance) - would that not mean that we should make $1mil profit this year?

It should be noted that we would have made $1mil profit in '08 except for Ezybonds not fullfilling their financial agreement.

I would rather skip the equitable payment and get a better fixture and more free to air TV to grow our brand, if anything worries me it is the fact that we have the lowest amount of kids as members of all the teams.:(

ledge
18-01-2009, 02:45 PM
I would rather skip the equitable payment and get a better fixture and more free to air TV to grow our brand, if anything worries me it is the fact that we have the lowest amount of kids as members of all the teams.

I didnt know that, I thought we would be going well in that side of things, the West being such a growing area.

bornadog
18-01-2009, 06:16 PM
I would rather skip the equitable payment and get a better fixture and more free to air TV to grow our brand, if anything worries me it is the fact that we have the lowest amount of kids as members of all the teams.:(

That is excatly why Collingwood, Essendon, Carlon, etc keep growing, because they get the best draws, the most free to air games and the blockbusters etc etc and they just keep growing with all the exposure.

Sockeye Salmon
18-01-2009, 06:21 PM
Getting back to the thread title. The next battle we are lining up for would be the stadium deal with Collins.

That's not our fight to win.

Collins has a contract and has already said he's locked in to 2025.

The only leverage would be if the AFL schedules to absolute minumum number of games permitted under the contract, the worst games they can come up with and no finals until Collins concedes.

ledge
18-01-2009, 06:57 PM
Collins is a typical ex Carlton, all about ripping off anyone and everyone.
Nothing to do with anything but how much he can make.
He is laughing at the AFL now for their stupid contract he sucked them in to.

Bulldog4life
18-01-2009, 07:48 PM
Collins is a typical ex Carlton, all about ripping off anyone and everyone.Nothing to do with anything but how much he can make.
He is laughing at the AFL now for their stupid contract he sucked them in to.

We'll never know but wouldn't it be interesting to know how his personal wage/incentives are calculated.

KT31
18-01-2009, 08:39 PM
I would rather skip the equitable payment and get a better fixture and more free to air TV to grow our brand, if anything worries me it is the fact that we have the lowest amount of kids as members of all the teams.

I didnt know that, I thought we would be going well in that side of things, the West being such a growing area.

Its great this season we will get the exposure on friday nights but the fixture has a lot to do with kids membership.
Kids play footy on Sundays and Friday night is a bit late for some parents to take them.
I know when I was a kid there was only three of us in Footscray jumpers.
Now if you have a look at most WRFL junior training nights it is predominately Red, white and blue.
All it would take is a flag to cement them as Doggies forever.

ledge
18-01-2009, 08:41 PM
Wasnt Collins the man who stopped Grant winning the Brownlow too?

hujsh
18-01-2009, 08:45 PM
Its great this season we will get the exposure on friday nights but the fixture has a lot to do with kids membership.
Kids play footy on Sundays and Friday night is a bit late for some parents to take them.
I know when I was a kid there was only three of us in Footscray jumpers.
Now if you have a look at most WRFL junior training nights it is predominately Red, white and blue.
All it would take is a flag to cement them as Doggies forever.

Yep, and plenty of Collingwood and some Essendon

KT31
18-01-2009, 08:45 PM
Wasnt Collins the man who stopped Grant winning the Brownlow too?

Certainly was.

KT31
18-01-2009, 08:47 PM
I might add all the boys at our training nights wear Red,white and blue.
But that is only because it is our clubs colours.

ledge
18-01-2009, 08:49 PM
Certainly was.

Collins is more a blight on the game than Elliott.
Not just the money side of it but the players side of it too.

KT31
18-01-2009, 09:03 PM
Collins is more a blight on the game than Elliott.
Not just the money side of it but the players side of it too.

What a proud club they must be.
Elliott, Collins and Pratt, all white collar criminals.

ledge
18-01-2009, 09:11 PM
What a proud club they must be.
Elliott, Collins and Pratt, all white collar criminals.

And flags bought with dirty money.
The list goes on.......

Anyway I think we can safely say it is now another club the stormy weather has moved too.
Our storm turned out to be a light shower thanks to our magnificant administration.
As I started another thread a while ago, Smorgon is heading towards legend status with the positive things that have happened in his reign.