PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs Trading Finished

aker39
10-10-2008, 01:51 PM
At 12.50pm, the dogs have left trade central.

Put the cue in the rack.

Scorlibo
10-10-2008, 01:53 PM
At 12.50pm, the dogs have left trade central.

Put the cue in the rack.

Glad to hear it.

Bulldog Revolution
10-10-2008, 01:53 PM
Says who? Is that what SEN is reporting

Go_Dogs
10-10-2008, 01:54 PM
Thank the lord, last thing we needed was a stupid trade that resulted in us losing our newly gained 2nd rounder.

I must say, the last 3 trade periods have all been very well done by our club.

aker39
10-10-2008, 01:55 PM
Says who? Is that what SEN is reporting

I made it up just for a bit of fun.

This is not BF.

Desipura
10-10-2008, 01:56 PM
Fantasia has left the Dome, no more deals for us.
Pick 31 & pick32 is the positive news. Said we will have 3-4 picks in November

Bulldog Revolution
10-10-2008, 01:58 PM
I made it up just for a bit of fun.

Could be famous last words

The Coon Dog
10-10-2008, 02:02 PM
James Fantasia was just interviewed on SEN as he was leaving. He said we had 'put our queue in the rack'. No more trades.

*Was never going to come along today & do a trade that hadn't been previously discussed. Need to do due dilligence/medical screenings before today.

*Hoping to secure a tall who could play either end but there were very few out of contract.

*Wasn't going to trade for trades sake.

*Always wanted a 2nd round pick for Farren, but interest had been light on all week.

*Confident with Ayce Cordy & picks 32 &32 we will get the right mix.

Bulldog Revolution
10-10-2008, 02:07 PM
Thats encouraging and professional

Dry Rot
10-10-2008, 02:09 PM
Fantasia has left the Dome, no more deals for us.
Pick 31 & pick32 is the positive news. Said we will have 3-4 picks in November

So with McDougall, West, Ray and Street gone, no more delistings?

And we have live picks of #31, #32 and #64?

Draft day will be pretty dull for us....

LostDoggy
10-10-2008, 02:12 PM
Good to see we are leaving and not doing anything silly..and we actually got something instead of Farren ending up in the draft for nothing

Desipura
10-10-2008, 02:12 PM
would not think there would be any other delistings other than the ones you mentioned. Having picks 31 & 32 is very handy indeed!

dadsgirl16
10-10-2008, 02:14 PM
I just heard that on SEN too.I am happy to get another draft pick so what are our picks now??

dadsgirl16
10-10-2008, 02:16 PM
oops forget that question took too long typing!!

LostDoggy
10-10-2008, 02:18 PM
14, 31, 32, 64, 80

LostDoggy
10-10-2008, 02:18 PM
Not a bad outcome

LostDoggy
10-10-2008, 02:29 PM

Oh good, I'm pleased that James Fantasia believes that either Ayce or the players we select with 31 & 32 will be able to line up at full forward and centre half forward next year because it was identified after the finals series that we needed a big player up forward!

Sockeye Salmon
10-10-2008, 02:29 PM
So with McDougall, West, Ray and Street gone, no more delistings?

And we have live picks of #31, #32 and #64?

Draft day will be pretty dull for us....

He said we would have 3 picks.

We currently have 3 spots available because West doesn't count, but that doesn't mean there will be no delistings.

I think Wight and/or O'Shea will still be delisted and Mulligan and/or Shaw will be promoted from the rookie list.

Scorlibo
10-10-2008, 02:37 PM
I think Wight and/or O'Shea will still be delisted and Mulligan and/or Shaw will be promoted from the rookie list.

We have 2 spots available at the moment - we have already got Ayce - meaning that there is another required delisting. I think Mal Lynch will be leaving. The taller players will always be favoured with delistments for development and requirement issues. I don't think there will be any rookie elevations but if there are then Mulligan would be the man and Wight may be shown the door.

KT31
10-10-2008, 02:48 PM
He said we would have 3 picks.

We currently have 3 spots available because West doesn't count, but that doesn't mean there will be no delistings.

Wights had his chances, Oshea no good and with the Gold Coast coming in we need to draft as many young talls as we can.

Can keep Mulligan and Shaw for another season on the Rookie list and see if we can pick up something this draft.

Mantis
10-10-2008, 02:48 PM
Oh good, I'm pleased that James Fantasia believes that either Ayce or the players we select with 31 & 32 will be able to line up at full forward and centre half forward next year because it was identified after the finals series that we needed a big player up forward!

Who would you like us to chase? And to get that player who do you want to give up?

The club enquired about many of these 'power' forwards, but weren't greated with a friendly response.

Mantis
10-10-2008, 02:49 PM
We have 2 spots available at the moment - we have already got Ayce - meaning that there is another required delisting. I think Mal Lynch will be leaving. The taller players will always be favoured with delistments for development and requirement issues. I don't think there will be any rookie elevations but if there are then Mulligan would be the man and Wight may be shown the door.

Reports are that he will be staying.

The Coon Dog
10-10-2008, 02:52 PM
I think Mal Lynch will be leaving.

He's not leaving. He's already started pre season training & may be rotated through the midfield nest season along with Higgins, Ward & Reid.

Desipura
10-10-2008, 02:55 PM
I do not know why I kept hearing that he is leaving. The guy had a massive tear in his hammy this year.

Go_Dogs
10-10-2008, 02:58 PM
James Fantasia was just interviewed on SEN as he was leaving. He said we had 'put our queue in the rack'. No more trades.

*Was never going to come along today & do a trade that hadn't been previously discussed. Need to do due dilligence/medical screenings before today.

*Hoping to secure a tall who could play either end but there were very few out of contract.

*Wasn't going to trade for trades sake.

*Always wanted a 2nd round pick for Farren, but interest had been light on all week.

Pretty interesting that it now seems the club is only going to look at 3 or so picks when not even a month ago it was widely acknowledged that we'd be looking at having 5 selections.

I for one am not even going to attempt to work out what is going to happen, but I'd be happy with a further 3 selections (on top of Ayce) which would only require 1 further movement off the senior playing list (perhaps O'Shea to rookie list).

To me at least, it looks like we will now keep Wight.

Scorlibo
10-10-2008, 03:02 PM
He's not leaving. He's already started pre season training & may be rotated through the midfield nest season along with Higgins, Ward & Reid.

OK, O'Shea or Wight to be moved on?

Mantis
10-10-2008, 03:02 PM
To me at least, it looks like we will now keep Wight.

Is Wight contracted??

I really can't see the point of keeping him if he isn't.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-10-2008, 03:08 PM
I would think one of O'Shea/Wight should be delisted.

Go_Dogs
10-10-2008, 03:13 PM
Is Wight contracted??

I really can't see the point of keeping him if he isn't.

No idea about his contract status...but considering all the talls on our list I'd be holding onto Wight as insurance.

Touch wood, but I don't consider it out of the realms of possibility that Williams, Everitt, Grant and Boumann all don't play next year due to injury/form.

If we wish to play Minson forward again (or perhaps give Skipper a try there) we will have only 1 'full time' ruck in Hudson (who averaged about 40% game time), and as GVGjr alluded to in his ruck stocks thread, given the new boundary rules having 2 'full time' rucks is going to be pretty vital.

Not saying Wight is a sure thing or the answer to our problems, but I'd rather have him with all his limitations knowing that he can do a job than not having any tall timber in the shed for the scenario all of our kids who we're throwing all our hopes and dreams on, don't come good or get injured or whatever.

westdog54
10-10-2008, 03:32 PM
With West off the vets list and no-one to replace him, does that mean that we are able to take on a 5th rookie? Would we be in a position to take up that option? If so, it essentially gives us the option of putting someone like O'Shea or Lynch on the Rookie list for a year. You'd think only 1 of Mulligan and Shaw would be retained, with Mulligan being the more likely option. Haven't seen enough of White to comment, and Hughes' fate has long been decided.

bornadog
10-10-2008, 03:43 PM

Lynch will not be going anywhere. Saw him at the B&F, apparently already started working on his preseason.

We might rookie Oshea and clear up another spot. Still think they will hang on to Wight and hope he develops, but would be his last chance in 2009 to show something.

Sockeye Salmon
10-10-2008, 03:49 PM
Lynch was being spoken about as a delisting because his attitude last pre-season was terrible.

It appears he recieved the mother of all Rockets (pun intended) and has pulled his finger out.

bornadog
10-10-2008, 04:00 PM
Oshea no good

Hang on, he is still only 19, played no junior footy. He is a project player.

bulldogtragic
10-10-2008, 04:01 PM
I am so excited we didn't get a tall dud!!!!

The culture is changing. Changing I tells you...

bornadog
10-10-2008, 04:13 PM
With West off the vets list and no-one to replace him, does that mean that we are able to take on a 5th rookie? Would we be in a position to take up that option? If so, it essentially gives us the option of putting someone like O'Shea or Lynch on the Rookie list for a year. You'd think only 1 of Mulligan and Shaw would be retained, with Mulligan being the more likely option. Haven't seen enough of White to comment, and Hughes' fate has long been decided.

How old do you have to be for the Vets list?

Mantis
10-10-2008, 04:14 PM
No idea about his contract status...but considering all the talls on our list I'd be holding onto Wight as insurance.

Touch wood, but I don't consider it out of the realms of possibility that Williams, Everitt, Grant and Boumann all don't play next year due to injury/form.

If we wish to play Minson forward again (or perhaps give Skipper a try there) we will have only 1 'full time' ruck in Hudson (who averaged about 40% game time), and as GVGjr alluded to in his ruck stocks thread, given the new boundary rules having 2 'full time' rucks is going to be pretty vital.

Not saying Wight is a sure thing or the answer to our problems, but I'd rather have him with all his limitations knowing that he can do a job than not having any tall timber in the shed for the scenario all of our kids who we're throwing all our hopes and dreams on, don't come good or get injured or whatever.

Insurance for what, a hurricane?? Really with Williams out at the end of this year Wight, if capable, should have been playing.

Maybe one more year, but I would rather we go in under-strength in talls and get rid of Wight than keep him and not play him when he is required... Hope that makes sense.

Go_Dogs
10-10-2008, 04:45 PM
Insurance for what, a hurricane?? Really with Williams out at the end of this year Wight, if capable, should have been playing.

Maybe one more year, but I would rather we go in under-strength in talls and get rid of Wight than keep him and not play him when he is required... Hope that makes sense.

And it was just a fluke that we won 10 games at the start of the year with Wight playing the second key defender?

I know what you're saying, and it does make perfect, logical sense. I just think we need the insurance, given the age of our other talls. Wight will also be another year stronger, bigger and fitter.

At the end of the day, it is one of those line ball calls, that I don't think will make too much of an impact on our success next year either way.

westdog54
10-10-2008, 08:34 PM
How old do you have to be for the Vets list?

Without knowing the exact rule I think its age 30 and ten years on the list.

I could be wrong.

LostDoggy
10-10-2008, 09:30 PM
I am so excited we didn't get a tall dud!!!!

The culture is changing. Changing I tells you...

Yep, we just need to work out how to get rid of Skipper and hope that Wight can overcome his dose of duditis.

LostDoggy
11-10-2008, 12:28 AM
I'm a bit flat with our efforts here. For a while now we hear that we are going to target a key forward to make a difference much like we said the year before that and yet once again we came up short. Granted we had limited options and it was a tight trade period but this has been an ongoing theme with Eade.
Just about every year he promises to pull the trigger and chase the right type of player to address our inadequacies but never quite delivers.

All Bark no Bite
11-10-2008, 01:43 AM
Non event trading this week was waiting to see this aggressive trading that David Smorgon promised. :rolleyes:

G-Mo77
11-10-2008, 06:27 AM
Non event trading this week was waiting to see this aggressive trading that David Smorgon promised. :rolleyes:

You can't buy if no one is prepared to sell. I'm reasonably happy with what we did at trade week.

In regards to the delisting that has to take place I think that O'Shea will be rookied. He was always going to take a while and I can't see them giving up on him ay such a young age. If Mulligan or Shaw get elevated I really think that Wight could be in trouble. I don't think I have seen either play yet so I'm not sure if they are ready or not.

MrMahatma
11-10-2008, 08:44 AM
There's aggressive, and then there's realistic. We probably COULD have got Barry Hall, but we'd have had to give up Higgins, Cooney, Griffen - one of that calibre for him - and that would've been stupid. We were aggressive in so far as we asked the question of every possible player, but nothing materialised.

I'm happy we asked, and then weren't stupid with what we offered.

The last 2 trading periods have brought more in terms of immediate talent, but this one was OK, getting another 2nd rounder and off loading Ray, who from now on was only going to be a fringe player.

Better to walk away without a new tall on the list, than walk away with a dud we paid the earth for.

G-Mo77
11-10-2008, 08:53 AM
In regards to the delisting that has to take place I think that O'Shea will be rookied. He was always going to take a while and I can't see them giving up on him ay such a young age. If Mulligan or Shaw get elevated I really think that Wight could be in trouble. I don't think I have seen either play yet so I'm not sure if they are ready or not.

Actually I think no more delsitings need to take place. There are 3 outs and it is on record that our draft ends at pick #32. All players maybe safe unless they have a plan of taking a pick in the PSD or a rooke elevation.

Bulldog Revolution
11-10-2008, 03:44 PM
Hang on, he is still only 19, played no junior footy. He is a project player.

I was wondering how far away from Stephen Gilham OShea is at a similar age?

I didn't see Gilham as a kid, but he was delisted after 2-3 seasons with Port and has blossomed in his 2-3rd year at Hawthorn so sometimes it takes time.

How does OShea compare to someone like him?

bornadog
11-10-2008, 03:56 PM

I didn't see Gilham as a kid, but he was delisted after 2-3 seasons with Port and has blossomed in his 2-3rd year at Hawthorn so sometimes it takes time.

Didn't really see Gilham at a young age, however, we do know that the big guys usually take longer to mature. What I have seen of OShea he does show a bit of talent but you can tell he hasn't played much footy at a junior level and therefore doesn't seem to have the footy smarts. He is still learning and is worth persisting with.

hujsh
11-10-2008, 06:33 PM
Anther trade with the Saints. We must have a good relationship with them ATM

bornadog
11-10-2008, 06:45 PM
Anther trade with the Saints. We must have a good relationship with them ATM

They love our dud midfielders:D

LostDoggy
11-10-2008, 06:50 PM

Gilham was a highly regarded junior footballer who captained Vic Metro and O'Shea was project footballer who apparently "would have gone top 25 the following year" much like Wayde Skipper would have :rolleyes:
From memory Gilham was injured for a portion of his time at Port and they just ran out of patience. It would appear that we have a lot of confidence in our list so there will be minimal changes other than West, Ray, McDougall and Streeta and maybe one more.

hujsh
11-10-2008, 08:45 PM
They love our dud midfielders:D

Should've offered Faukner and Eagle.;)

Bulldog Revolution
12-10-2008, 12:16 PM
Gilham was a highly regarded junior footballer who captained Vic Metro and O'Shea was project footballer who apparently "would have gone top 25 the following year" much like Wayde Skipper would have :rolleyes:
From memory Gilham was injured for a portion of his time at Port and they just ran out of patience. It would appear that we have a lot of confidence in our list so there will be minimal changes other than West, Ray, McDougall and Streeta and maybe one more.

Thanks Sunshine,

I didn't know Gilham was such a highly regarded junior

OShea is obviously still very raw

GVGjr
12-10-2008, 12:27 PM
Thanks Sunshine,

I didn't know Gilham was such a highly regarded junior

OShea is obviously still very raw

Gilham went something like pick 17 the year he was drafted and yes he was the captain of Vic metro.