PDA

View Full Version : So what do we do with picks 31 & 32?

Dry Rot
10-10-2008, 03:30 PM
Last year we picked up a tall forward with #5, this year our first rounder is spent on a ruckman/forward.

What should we do with picks 32 & 32?

Best available?

Get more runners?

Get more forwards?

bornadog
10-10-2008, 03:31 PM
Last year we picked up a tall forward with #5, this year our first rounder is spent on a ruckman/forward.

What should we do with picks 32 & 32?

Best available?

Get more runners?

Get more forwards?

Best available, no duds

bulldogtragic
10-10-2008, 03:35 PM
Depends who is around:

Banner, Post, Brown, Roughead.

TCD may prove me wrong, but I believe we will have out list of who we think we will want and work down the list. For example, put those 4 in order and the top two. In short, best available.

LostDoggy
10-10-2008, 03:43 PM
We will either go after two of the skinniest tall players in the draft or pick up another couple of fast ouside runners but ensure they dont have any bulk on them!

LostDoggy
10-10-2008, 03:46 PM
Mids are easy you can pick up quality with later picks. With these two (31 & 32) we should get some more tall forwards.

bornadog
10-10-2008, 03:48 PM
We will either go after two of the skinniest tall players in the draft or pick up another couple of fast ouside runners but ensure they dont have any bulk on them!

The difference this time is Fantasia will be involved.;)

Sockeye Salmon
10-10-2008, 03:52 PM
Best available, no duds

Let go of this best available rubbish.

Best available is the reason we've been running round all week trying to do a trade for anyone else's 6' 4" dud.

1 x KP
1 x pace

bornadog
10-10-2008, 04:15 PM

Best available is the reason we've been running round all week trying to do a trade for anyone else's 6' 4" dud.

1 x KP
1 x pace

and end up with a 6'4" dud.

have a look at the list now we have plenty of young talls:

Grant, Boumann, Cordy, Mulligan, on top of Williams, Skipper, Minson, plus almost talls in Tiller, OShea

Mantis
10-10-2008, 04:19 PM

Grant, Boumann, Cordy, Mulligan, on top of Williams, Skipper, Minson, plus almost talls in Tiller, OShea

+ Everitt.

LostDoggy
10-10-2008, 04:26 PM

Only Grant and possibly Boumann will play as a forward KPP from your list.

We are not over-endowed with potential forward KPPs as your post suggests

bulldogtragic
10-10-2008, 04:30 PM
Only Grant and possibly Boumann will play as a forward KPP from your list.

We are not over-endowed with potential forward KPPs as your post suggests
If Andrejs can hold a spot down back with Williams, Morris and Hargy.

Lake and Tiller could move forward. Both were forwards in the juniors form memory.

G-Mo77
10-10-2008, 04:34 PM

Can you post anything positive in here, anything at all. :rolleyes:

Sockeye Salmon
10-10-2008, 04:36 PM

5 of those have played 10 senior games of VFL footy between them. I'd say there's a fair chance that at least 2 of them won't make it.

Will Skipper and Tiller be part of our long term future?

Will Williams spontaneously combust?

Will Minson explode and be charged with murder?

Keep topping up with 6' 4" (or bigger) blokes until you have too many.

LostDoggy
10-10-2008, 04:41 PM
If Andrejs can hold a spot down back with Williams, Morris and Hargy.

Lake and Tiller could move forward. Both were forwards in the juniors form memory.

So you want to move a bloke made for full back, the winner of the club championship in that position and one who can hold down that post for another 6-8 years to the forward line based on the fact he played some junior football there?

Scary!!!!

bulldogtragic
10-10-2008, 04:48 PM
So you want to move a bloke made for full back, the winner of the club championship in that position and one who can hold down that post for another 6-8 years to the forward line based on the fact he played some junior football there?

Scary!!!!
Perhaps. I'm suggesting that if we have tall backs covered in 2009, that perhaps some of them may have transferable skills to go forward and kick goals and win matches for us.

Go_Dogs
10-10-2008, 04:54 PM

Scary!!!!

As far as marking long balls bombed in, Lake is easily our best. I too would like to see him up forward if we can get a suitable backline organised w/o him.

Yes, he's a good full back, but if Williams and Everitt can do his job (and probably can w/ a bit more run and polish, fingers crossed) then why not use Lake's best asset to our advantage?

As far as the OP, I think we need to go best available, based on our needs. Ie. If we have 4 players we rate similarly at the time of our first live selection, let's take the tall forward rather than the small forward. Contrastly, if the next best available tall is well behind our 'best available' option, then take the best available.

Sedat
10-10-2008, 05:03 PM
What do we desperately need? Power forward - no brainer. For the other pick, we've off-loaded plenty of outside runners in the last 3 years so I'd be inclined to bring one back into the fold.

Pick 31 - genuine key forward over 193 cms
Pick 32 - midfielder with excellent disposal & decision making skills and genuine pace

Sockeye Salmon
10-10-2008, 05:03 PM
As far as marking long balls bombed in, Lake is easily our best. I too would like to see him up forward if we can get a suitable backline organised w/o him.

How often does anyone score goals from marks from long bombs forward? One a game?

Even Tony Lockett got his goals on the lead, a big body just makes it easier to hold your ground and harder to be outmarked.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-10-2008, 05:05 PM
If we have 4 players we rate similarly at the time of our first live selection, let's take the tall forward rather than the small forward. Contrastly, if the next best available tall is well behind our 'best available' option, then take the best available.

That's the best method.

With picks both 31 & 32, I would assume we'll do a 'Best available KPF vs. Best available mid'. The challenge will be up to Clayton to make the accurate calls. Is the KPF better value, if not, are we better served going with the midfielder?

I would predict a KPF & a pacy midfielder though. At least, that's what I would hope for in terms of what we need.

bulldogtragic
10-10-2008, 05:15 PM
Some BF Phantoms:

28:Adelaide-O'Keffe
29:Collingwood-Hill
30:Sydney-Banner
31:St Kilda-Stanton
32:Bulldogs-Rockliff
33:Hawthorn-Lynch
34:Geelong-Clarke

-------------

26. Richmond - Tom Lynch – 191cm, 84kg – Sandringham Dragons / Haileybury College
27. North – Matt Deboer – 187cm, 85kg – Claremont
28. Adelaide - Ryan Schoenmakers – 189cm, 85kg – Norwood
29. Collingwood - Matthew Broadbent – 189cm, 81kg – Woodville-West Torrens
30. Sydney - Jordan Roughead – 199cm, 87kg – North Ballarat
31. St Kilda - Stephen Muller – 188cm, 89kg – Sandringham Dragons
32. Bulldogs - Luke Stanton – 191cm, 83kg – Northern Knights.
33. Geelong - Steve Gaertner – 198cm, 88kg -Dandenong Stingrays
34. Hawthorn – Kade Klemke – 180cm, 78kg –NSW/ACT Rams /Murray Bushrangers

3rd Round

35. Melbourne - Jaime Sheahan – 178cm, 73kg – Murray Bushrangers
36. West Coast - Michael Walters – 177cm, 75kg – Swan Districts
37. Fremantle - Mitch Banner – 178cm, 77kg – Western Jets
38. Port Adelaide - Paul Cahill – 192cm, 80kg – Sturt

------------

Pick 27 - North Melbourne --- Jarrad Blight - Tall Utility - 192cm?, 78kg - Swan Districts, WA
Pick 28 - Adelaide ----------- Clancee Pearce - Small Defender - 183cm, 85kg - Swan Districts, WA
Pick 29 - Collingwood -------- Ranga Ediriwickrama - Midfielder - 178cm, 79kg - NSW/ACT
Pick 30 - Sydney ------------ Tom Lynch - Tall Utility - 191cm, 84kg - Sandringham Dragons, Vic
Pick 31 - St.Kilda ------------ David Zaharakis - Midfielder - 180cm, 73kg - Northern Knights, Vic
Pick 32 - Western Bulldogs --- Jordan Roughead - Ruck/Key Forward - 199cm, 87kg - North Ballarat Rebels, Vic
Pick 33 - Hawthorn ---------- James Strauss - Utility - 185cm, 81kg - Oakleigh Chargers, Vic
Pick 34 - Geelong ------------ Luke Shuey - Midfielder - 185cm, 84kg - Oakleigh Chargers, Vic

ROUND 3
Pick 35 - Melbourne ---------- Paul Cahill - KP Forward - 192cm, 80kg - Sturt, SA
Pick 36 - West Coast -------- Dan Hannebery - Midfielder - 182cm, 75kg - Oakleigh Chargers, Vic

---------

24. CARLTON - AARON CORNELIUS

They now have a draft which fixes their bookends for a while. Cornelius is a dangerous CHF/FF who will compliment Fevola and the gang down in that forward line. The Bles believe their midfield is super and this draft will address some needs for them, and with Cornelius and Hurley it has done so.

25. BRISBANE - NICK SUBAN

Again the Lions go for a midfielder type, Suban is a good kick of the ball, he's tough, disciplined and hard at it. Can do a job on small forwards or go and do and be a ball getting midfielder. Has very good leadership qualities and one the Lions may think highly of.

26. RICHMOND - MITCH BANNER

The Tigers get a ball winning, clearance machine they are looking for. Mitch has the ability to contribute straight away and will be valuable in the clinches to feed the likes of Deledio, Cotchin, Foley, Edwards in the future. I rate him as having one of the best leadership skills, he will develop into a fine leader down at Punt Road. With Kane Johnson at the end, he will slot in nicely taking over his role.

27. NORTH MELBOURNE - JORDAN LISLE

With Nathan Thompson gone, Leigh Brown no good, and the defence a tad short, the Kangaroos sure up their KP stocks with Jordan. A good championship has lifted his profile, he will easily be able to slot at CHB for the Kangaroos in the future. Loves a contest and has good footy nous and skill.

28. ADELAIDE - RHYS O'KEEFE

A nice sized running half back with good skill, he looks a perfect match for what Adelaide look for in a player. A good athlete, he has good workrate and will provide great run from half back or in the future be a damaging midfielder.

29. COLLINGWOOD - TOM LYNCH

A Key Position player at underage level may be a perfect third tall forward player for the Magpies. Was super impressive at the Championship and knows where to lead and finds a lot of space on his opponents. His skills are good but most impressive is is workrate, he wont stop working for you. The Magpie fans will love his efforts to contest all day long.

30. SYDNEY - KADE KLEMKE

The Swans go local. This boy is an absolute workhorse that the Swans seem to love. He has great desire to win every contest, is hard at it, tough tackling and has decent skills. Not the quickest but makes up for that with his will power and I think the Swannies will take a chance with him here thinking he may develop into that midfield run with player they will need after Kirk has gone.

31. ST.KILDA - CHRIS HALL

The Saints go for a zippy midfielder that would of gone higher if not for his size. This kid works very hard, does all the right things and has very good skills. His kicking is very good and has the ability to go forward and do some damage. The saints need some more foot soldiers with pace and they get that here.

32. WESTERN BULLDOGS - MATT DEBOER

With the Bulldogs getting an absolute gift with Cordy, they go for an inside ball winner who had a solid championship. Keeps finding the ball, is fantastic at the stoppages and can run all day. His kicking is okay but something that he will need to work on a bit. With Scott West departing another ball winning clearance machine would be very handy. A bit of a steal this late.

33. HAWTHORN - JAMIE SHEAHAN

Good solid prospect that will have the benefit of getting groomed for a couple of years down at Glenferrie. Is a good hard working midfielder that gets a lot of the ball, but is another one can go forward with great results. Good at teh stoppages both in the midfield and p forward. Dangerous.

34. GEELONG - NEVILLE JETTA

Another steal here for the Cats. A crumbing forward with great pace and smart around the goals. Great goal sense he has a touch of magic about him. Again with their list will be able to develop for a while but can be used to spark the Cats into action if anything goes wrong from next season on. A great get at this stage of the draft.

Plus there is young Post and Jordan Roughead who are worth looking at.

Scorlibo
10-10-2008, 07:38 PM
In the next couple of years we will lose Johnno, Welsh and Aker. Three small forwards. I could definitely see us picking up a small forward with either pick 31 or 32. I think Zaharakis could develop into a good HFF, he reminded me a fair bit of Aker when I saw him in regards to how he moved and how he kicked.

LostDoggy
10-10-2008, 09:37 PM
Can you post anything positive in here, anything at all. :rolleyes:

Dear oh dear G Mo77, no need to be grumpy because hopefully we will actually trade some solid type players.

And I do have some positive news for you .... Farren Ray has departed the club and we wont have to read all those negative posts about him anymore. Pretty good eh?

Interesting that ...... with Power and McMahon departing last year and Farren going this year .......... who are all the whingers going to get stuck into this year?

Anyway, have a jolly good weekend G Mo77.

:rolleyes:

Topdog
10-10-2008, 10:02 PM
Interesting that ...... with Power and McMahon departing last year and Farren going this year .......... who are all the whingers going to get stuck into this year?

You realise Gia is still here yeah? He gets as much stick for absolutely no reason as they do.

Scraggers
10-10-2008, 11:24 PM
If Roughead or Tom Lynch are still available by 31/32, they would be my picks ... both can take a mark and be a strong lead up forward ...

But in saying that 31/32 is a long time to wait !!!

GVGjr
10-10-2008, 11:32 PM
2 tallish athletic types who are still more pure footballers than athletes.
If we can snare a ruckman/forward then that would be great.

Bumper Bulldogs
11-10-2008, 12:04 AM
I think we would just take the best two no matter if they are small or tall. In a few years we will see the young pups come into it but each year we see that all drafts have plenty of smalls so if the opportunity came to go for 195 plus ...... Put the glasses down he is our man.;)

sobriquet
11-10-2008, 12:13 AM
There're plenty of small forwards around, but only a few decent talls. We need to pick the power forwards, unless there is a small who is clearly, significantly better.

GVGjr
11-10-2008, 12:19 AM
There're plenty of small forwards around, but only a few decent talls. We need to pick the power forwards, unless there is a small who is clearly, significantly better.

Good point. We need at least one strong bodied player ideally a forward from these two picks.

LostDoggy
11-10-2008, 12:34 AM
Scorlibo Re: So what do we do with picks 31 & 32?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the next couple of years we will lose Johnno, Welsh and Aker. Three small forwards. I could definitely see us picking up a small forward with either pick 31 or 32. I think Zaharakis could develop into a good HFF, he reminded me a fair bit of Aker when I saw him in regards to how he moved and how he kicked.

IMO we have enough small forwards in Gia(runs through the middle as well), Higgins, O'keefe in the future, Harbrow and even a few others that could be played as a small forward.

LostDoggy
11-10-2008, 12:38 AM
You realise Gia is still here yeah? He gets as much stick for absolutely no reason as they do.

Aha .... yep, I forgot about Gia.

Very good pick-up Topdog.

LostDoggy
11-10-2008, 12:41 AM

On top of the small forwards add Hudson and Eagleton. Our list will get a big shake-up in the next 12 to 18 months.

Scorlibo
11-10-2008, 12:50 AM
IMO we have enough small forwards in Gia(runs through the middle as well), Higgins, O'keefe in the future, Harbrow and even a few others that could be played as a small forward.

Gia is a player we can count on to play a small forward role, but he is getting on and probably won't be there in 5 years time. Higgins will move to the midfield at some stage or another. O'Keefe is a promising young player but is no sure thing. Harbs should make a good career as a small forward.

That leaves: Welsh (1 year), Aker (1 year), Johnno (1-2 years), Gia (5 year span), Missy (1-2 years), O'Keefe (who knows) and Harbrow (10 year span), Hill (10 year span).

This would indicate that in 2 years time (around the time it takes to develop a youngster;)) we have Gia, Harbs and Hill left with the possibility of O'Keefe. IMO, we should therefore look at a small forward with one of the draft picks.

MrMahatma
11-10-2008, 01:02 AM
We should take the Hawthorn approach:

- If they can't kick - we don't pick them (obviously they threw this out the door with Buddy!)
- If there's a toss up between players, go for the guy who has the most agro in them

I think we should get a tall forward and a good skilful mid with our picks. Not necessarily easy as picks in the 30s often aren't that great.

Bulldogs_6
11-10-2008, 03:53 AM
We should take the Hawthorn approach:

- If they can't kick - we don't pick them (obviously they threw this out the door with Buddy!)
- If there's a toss up between players, go for the guy who has the most agro in them

I think we should get a tall forward and a good skilful mid with our picks. Not necessarily easy as picks in the 30s often aren't that great.

Good call, would hope we get a recruiting manager with that type of want after Clayton, who in turn gives us the total opposite :rolleyes:

FrediKanoute
11-10-2008, 05:09 AM

1 x KP
1 x pace

Agree......at pick 30 there is less of a clear cut difference in talent between guys. I would go for needs and take the best tall available and take the best midfielder available.

dog town
11-10-2008, 11:21 AM
If Roughead or Tom Lynch are still available by 31/32, they would be my picks ... both can take a mark and be a strong lead up forward ...

But in saying that 31/32 is a long time to wait !!!
Really like the look of Lynch. Might not be the most talented junior going around but he has good size and a bit of intensity about him.

KT31
11-10-2008, 01:18 PM
Mids are easy you can pick up quality with later picks. With these two (31 & 32) we should get some more tall forwards.

Totally agree.
If this draft if spoilt with selections of talls, then thats the way we must go.
With exceptions talls take longer to get up to spped so we can always pick up a quality mid fielder with next years pick 16.

Bulldog Revolution
11-10-2008, 03:57 PM
I was thinking in Lynch, Harbrow we have some options for the small forward spot, with OKeefe also handy there, as Ward is also.

Are people thinking someone more like Ports Ebert??

With the obvious need for talls it would be great to get a gun key forward, but at 31 thats probably a bit unlikely.

I've been wondering if we dont need another running defender who can really set the play up. Obviously Addison and Callan have question marks over their kicking. Hargrave and Gilbee are our best. Thoughts?

Dogs 24/7
11-10-2008, 04:07 PM
With the obvious need for talls it would be great to get a gun key forward, but at 31 thats probably a bit unlikely.

I've been wondering if we dont need another running defender who can really set the play up. Obviously Addison and Callan have question marks over their kicking. Hargrave and Gilbee are our best. Thoughts?

I fully agree with this logic. Once we moved Griffen into the midfield we now need to find ourselves another skillful running defender. Someone mentioned that Rhys O'Keefe held our interest so if he was around when we had our picks he would be a solid selection.
We cannot miss the opportunity of selecting at least one tall though with the two picks and given that Cordy won't be sighted regularly in the red, white and blue for a few seasons we need someone who can at least challenge for a spot in the senior side in 2009.

bornadog
11-10-2008, 04:14 PM
Gia is a player we can count on to play a small forward role, but he is getting on and probably won't be there in 5 years time. Higgins will move to the midfield at some stage or another. O'Keefe is a promising young player but is no sure thing. Harbs should make a good career as a small forward.

That leaves: Welsh (1 year), Aker (1 year), Johnno (1-2 years), Gia (5 year span), Missy (1-2 years), O'Keefe (who knows) and Harbrow (10 year span), Hill (10 year span).

This would indicate that in 2 years time (around the time it takes to develop a youngster;)) we have Gia, Harbs and Hill left with the possibility of O'Keefe. IMO, we should therefore look at a small forward with one of the draft picks.

Throw in Ward, Lynch and Stack up forward as well, so we have plenty to replace the Welsh's, Akers and Johnnos.

I still think the best footballers at the time available is the way to go, and if its a choice between a tall and mid, take the tall first, then a good strong bodied mid/HFF.

Scorlibo
11-10-2008, 04:30 PM
I fully agree with this logic. Once we moved Griffen into the midfield we now need to find ourselves another skillful running defender. Someone mentioned that Rhys O'Keefe held our interest so if he was around when we had our picks he would be a solid selection.
We cannot miss the opportunity of selecting at least one tall though with the two picks and given that Cordy won't be sighted regularly in the red, white and blue for a few seasons we need someone who can at least challenge for a spot in the senior side in 2009.

I have mentioned O'Keefe before, he could become a very good utility IMO, down back he can set up the play with his great foot skills, in the middle he can win the contested ball and up forward he can kick goals from long range and read the play well.

My ideal Dogs draft: Tom Lynch or Aaron Cornelius or Paul Cahill (in order of preference, one of them will with any luck still be available) and Rhys O'Keefe or James Strauss or Kade Klemke (in order of preference)

hujsh
11-10-2008, 06:25 PM
Just get someone who can play. If there's a Harry Taylor type ready made player that could be a possibility.

LostDoggy
11-10-2008, 06:45 PM
Just get someone who can play. If there's a Harry Taylor type ready made player that could be a possibility.

Wouldn't getting someone like him just top of the list nicely.

ledge
11-10-2008, 09:34 PM
What do we desperately need? Power forward - no brainer. For the other pick, we've off-loaded plenty of outside runners in the last 3 years so I'd be inclined to bring one back into the fold.

Pick 31 - genuine key forward over 193 cms
Pick 32 - midfielder with excellent disposal & decision making skills and genuine pace

Does it matter what order we take them if we have 2 picks in a row?

GVGjr
11-10-2008, 09:49 PM

Are you serious? Unless I am missing something in your question the simple answer is that nothing changes in the process on the day just because we have consecutive selections.

hujsh
11-10-2008, 09:56 PM

Does if they have sever confidence issues i guess

ledge
12-10-2008, 10:47 AM
Are you serious? Unless I am missing something in your question the simple answer is that nothing changes in the process on the day just because we have consecutive selections.

Sorry GVGjr was just having a giggle, in reality once we get to 31 would just say ok we take these 2 players order is irrelevant or does amount paid change between 31 and 32?
Was just making a little humour of how tall had to be 31 when we have next pick, it doesnt matter does it he still going to be there in next pick.

dog town
12-10-2008, 12:36 PM
Just looking at the history of the two picks and its pretty predictable. In the stronger drafts some pretty handy players have been picked up eg: Guido, Chapman, C.Brown, Tippett but in the weaker drafts its pretty slim pickings. I would class this season as a pretty strong draft so we can expect to get 2 pretty handy players.

Mofra
12-10-2008, 01:56 PM

Been covered once:

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=3430

Will Williams no certainty to be fit, Everitt not quite developed yet and little back-up, we could do worse.

hujsh
12-10-2008, 02:56 PM
Been covered once:

Will Williams no certainty to be fit, Everitt not quite developed yet and little back-up, we could do worse.

Doesn't have to be a tall defender BTW.

Any player able to make an impact like Rioli, Taylor and Dalziel did

MrMahatma
13-10-2008, 03:19 AM
Been covered once:

Give Everitt another full pre-season and he'll be pretty close to developed IMO.

Hopefully we get someone good with the pick we used on Farren. I dare say we've got someone specific in mind, someone we thought would have more value than Faz.

Mofra
13-10-2008, 10:18 AM
Give Everitt another full pre-season and he'll be pretty close to developed IMO.
Still 2-3 years away from fully developed, but he definately should be looking at playing 22 games next year. A fit Everitt after a full pre-season is in our best 22

Sedat
13-10-2008, 10:22 AM
Just looking at the history of the two picks and its pretty predictable. In the stronger drafts some pretty handy players have been picked up eg: Guido, Chapman, C.Brown, Tippett but in the weaker drafts its pretty slim pickings. I would class this season as a pretty strong draft so we can expect to get 2 pretty handy players.
Is it a strong draft but thin, or is it strong and deep? With Fantasia saying that we weren't interested in using pick 48, it sounds as though the first 30-40 picks contain some gold but there's slim pickings after that.

bulldogsman
13-10-2008, 03:55 PM
Some BF Phantoms:

28:Adelaide-O'Keffe
29:Collingwood-Hill
30:Sydney-Banner
31:St Kilda-Stanton
32:Bulldogs-Rockliff
33:Hawthorn-Lynch
34:Geelong-Clarke

-------------

26. Richmond - Tom Lynch – 191cm, 84kg – Sandringham Dragons / Haileybury College
27. North – Matt Deboer – 187cm, 85kg – Claremont
28. Adelaide - Ryan Schoenmakers – 189cm, 85kg – Norwood
29. Collingwood - Matthew Broadbent – 189cm, 81kg – Woodville-West Torrens
30. Sydney - Jordan Roughead – 199cm, 87kg – North Ballarat
31. St Kilda - Stephen Muller – 188cm, 89kg – Sandringham Dragons
32. Bulldogs - Luke Stanton – 191cm, 83kg – Northern Knights.
33. Geelong - Steve Gaertner – 198cm, 88kg -Dandenong Stingrays
34. Hawthorn – Kade Klemke – 180cm, 78kg –NSW/ACT Rams /Murray Bushrangers

3rd Round

35. Melbourne - Jaime Sheahan – 178cm, 73kg – Murray Bushrangers
36. West Coast - Michael Walters – 177cm, 75kg – Swan Districts
37. Fremantle - Mitch Banner – 178cm, 77kg – Western Jets
38. Port Adelaide - Paul Cahill – 192cm, 80kg – Sturt

------------

Pick 27 - North Melbourne --- Jarrad Blight - Tall Utility - 192cm?, 78kg - Swan Districts, WA
Pick 28 - Adelaide ----------- Clancee Pearce - Small Defender - 183cm, 85kg - Swan Districts, WA
Pick 29 - Collingwood -------- Ranga Ediriwickrama - Midfielder - 178cm, 79kg - NSW/ACT
Pick 30 - Sydney ------------ Tom Lynch - Tall Utility - 191cm, 84kg - Sandringham Dragons, Vic
Pick 31 - St.Kilda ------------ David Zaharakis - Midfielder - 180cm, 73kg - Northern Knights, Vic
Pick 32 - Western Bulldogs --- Jordan Roughead - Ruck/Key Forward - 199cm, 87kg - North Ballarat Rebels, Vic
Pick 33 - Hawthorn ---------- James Strauss - Utility - 185cm, 81kg - Oakleigh Chargers, Vic
Pick 34 - Geelong ------------ Luke Shuey - Midfielder - 185cm, 84kg - Oakleigh Chargers, Vic

ROUND 3
Pick 35 - Melbourne ---------- Paul Cahill - KP Forward - 192cm, 80kg - Sturt, SA
Pick 36 - West Coast -------- Dan Hannebery - Midfielder - 182cm, 75kg - Oakleigh Chargers, Vic

---------

24. CARLTON - AARON CORNELIUS

They now have a draft which fixes their bookends for a while. Cornelius is a dangerous CHF/FF who will compliment Fevola and the gang down in that forward line. The Bles believe their midfield is super and this draft will address some needs for them, and with Cornelius and Hurley it has done so.

25. BRISBANE - NICK SUBAN

Again the Lions go for a midfielder type, Suban is a good kick of the ball, he's tough, disciplined and hard at it. Can do a job on small forwards or go and do and be a ball getting midfielder. Has very good leadership qualities and one the Lions may think highly of.

26. RICHMOND - MITCH BANNER

The Tigers get a ball winning, clearance machine they are looking for. Mitch has the ability to contribute straight away and will be valuable in the clinches to feed the likes of Deledio, Cotchin, Foley, Edwards in the future. I rate him as having one of the best leadership skills, he will develop into a fine leader down at Punt Road. With Kane Johnson at the end, he will slot in nicely taking over his role.

27. NORTH MELBOURNE - JORDAN LISLE

With Nathan Thompson gone, Leigh Brown no good, and the defence a tad short, the Kangaroos sure up their KP stocks with Jordan. A good championship has lifted his profile, he will easily be able to slot at CHB for the Kangaroos in the future. Loves a contest and has good footy nous and skill.

28. ADELAIDE - RHYS O'KEEFE

A nice sized running half back with good skill, he looks a perfect match for what Adelaide look for in a player. A good athlete, he has good workrate and will provide great run from half back or in the future be a damaging midfielder.

29. COLLINGWOOD - TOM LYNCH

A Key Position player at underage level may be a perfect third tall forward player for the Magpies. Was super impressive at the Championship and knows where to lead and finds a lot of space on his opponents. His skills are good but most impressive is is workrate, he wont stop working for you. The Magpie fans will love his efforts to contest all day long.

30. SYDNEY - KADE KLEMKE

The Swans go local. This boy is an absolute workhorse that the Swans seem to love. He has great desire to win every contest, is hard at it, tough tackling and has decent skills. Not the quickest but makes up for that with his will power and I think the Swannies will take a chance with him here thinking he may develop into that midfield run with player they will need after Kirk has gone.

31. ST.KILDA - CHRIS HALL

The Saints go for a zippy midfielder that would of gone higher if not for his size. This kid works very hard, does all the right things and has very good skills. His kicking is very good and has the ability to go forward and do some damage. The saints need some more foot soldiers with pace and they get that here.

32. WESTERN BULLDOGS - MATT DEBOER

With the Bulldogs getting an absolute gift with Cordy, they go for an inside ball winner who had a solid championship. Keeps finding the ball, is fantastic at the stoppages and can run all day. His kicking is okay but something that he will need to work on a bit. With Scott West departing another ball winning clearance machine would be very handy. A bit of a steal this late.

33. HAWTHORN - JAMIE SHEAHAN

Good solid prospect that will have the benefit of getting groomed for a couple of years down at Glenferrie. Is a good hard working midfielder that gets a lot of the ball, but is another one can go forward with great results. Good at teh stoppages both in the midfield and p forward. Dangerous.

34. GEELONG - NEVILLE JETTA

Another steal here for the Cats. A crumbing forward with great pace and smart around the goals. Great goal sense he has a touch of magic about him. Again with their list will be able to develop for a while but can be used to spark the Cats into action if anything goes wrong from next season on. A great get at this stage of the draft.

Plus there is young Post and Jordan Roughead who are worth looking at.

I like the look of these two players, klemke has got great leadership abilities though he's more a half back/wing player absolute ball magnet though. Great 2nd and 3rd efforts very hard at it.

I'd be happy with Lynch if he was available, more of a third tall type player and might not be around on our picks anyway

LostDoggy
13-10-2008, 07:53 PM

Hopefully we get someone good with the pick we used on Farren. I dare say we've got someone specific in mind, someone we thought would have more value than Faz.

It's weird that we're hoping to get something better than Farren at pick 31 when you consider that he was pick 4. PICK FLIPPIN' FOUR!!! What a absolute, bloody waste of a gun pick.

I'm not saying we won't do better, mind you; the boy's good was okay, but his bad was ..

It's called application, Farren. Plenty of blokes who kick worse than you still make decent careers out of some grunt, improved decision making and mental strength. Faz may have worked hard in the gym but I have a sneaking suspicion he's a bit mentally on the lazy side, if you know what I mean. Jordan McMahon deja vu!

G-Mo77
13-10-2008, 08:43 PM
Here is that draft. We weren't the only team who hit and missed. It happens, not much you can do about it although now I would have liked Brock McLean instead :o

1 Adam Cooney Western Bulldogs
2 Andrew Walker Carlton
3 Colin Sylvia Melbourne
4 Farren Ray Western Bulldogs
5 Brock McLean Melbourne
6 Kepler Bradley Essendon
7 Kane Tenace Geelong
8 Raphael Clarke St. Kilda
9 David Trotter Kangaroos
10 Ryley Dunn Fremantle
11 Beau Waters West Coast Eagles
12 Ryan Murphy Fremantle
13 Brent Stanton Essendon
14 Fergus Watts Adelaide Crows
15 Troy Chaplin Port Adelaide
16 Josh Willoughby Sydney Swans
17 Billy Morrison Collingwood
18 Llane Spaanderman Brisbane Lions
19 David Mundy Fremantle
20 Sam Butler West Coast Eagles

Scorlibo
13-10-2008, 08:49 PM
Bar Cooney, 2003 was a pretty terrible draft. There don't appear to be any players ahead of Ray who were drafted behind him apart from McLean so it wasn't poor drafting.

comrade
13-10-2008, 09:38 PM
Here is that draft. We weren't the only team who hit and missed. It happens, not much you can do about it although now I would have liked Brock McLean instead :o

2 Andrew Walker Carlton
3 Colin Sylvia Melbourne
5 Brock McLean Melbourne
7 Kane Tenace Geelong
10 Ryley Dunn Fremantle
12 Ryan Murphy Fremantle
19 David Mundy Fremantle

Surely the biggest scapegoat draft ever, as far as top 20s go. What a motley bunch. David Trotter? Billy Morrison? Josh freakin Willoughby? If drafting is an art, then version 2003 is the equivalent of kindergarten finger painting.

Sockeye Salmon
13-10-2008, 09:59 PM

2 Andrew Walker Carlton
3 Colin Sylvia Melbourne
5 Brock McLean Melbourne
7 Kane Tenace Geelong
10 Ryley Dunn Fremantle
12 Ryan Murphy Fremantle
19 David Mundy Fremantle

Wow, If we had to **** one up, I'm glad it was that year when just about everyone else did too.

I remember seeing Fergus Watts take 5 contested marks in a quarter against WA and wanted us to take him at 4.

I'd be a dud recruiter, too.

Bulldog Revolution
13-10-2008, 10:07 PM
Surely the biggest scapegoat draft ever, as far as top 20s go.

One of the Woof comments of the year - although I thought you could have also highlighted Walker, Sylvia, Tenace, Dunn etc

And it makes logical Freo sense that their third pick of that lot would be there best

Wow, If we had to **** one up, I'm glad it was that year when just about everyone else did too.

I remember seeing Fergus Watts take 5 contested marks in a quarter against WA and wanted us to take him at 4.

I'd be a dud recruiter, too.

I suppose so but its disappointing we weren't in a position to get a Riewoldt type key forward to go with Coons

LostDoggy
14-10-2008, 12:30 AM
So the year we had a priority pick we actually got a dud draft? What are the chances. Man.

bulldogtragic
14-10-2008, 07:48 PM
If we were to assume Braedon Jones, Tom Libba and Mitch Wallis were to be father son'd, that's three mids in the next two years with a few guys from Willi this year established as two and three year players.

Go tall. Lynch, Post, Gaertner or Roughead.

Scorlibo
14-10-2008, 09:25 PM
Gaertner

Agree with the rest of your post assuming we do get those father-sons but Gaertner should not be picked up with 31/32. Has always been a project prospect. I'd be adding Cahill + Schoenmakers to your tall list.

Sockeye Salmon
15-10-2008, 09:05 AM
Add Riley Milne (defender) and Tom Hill and Mitch Brown (forwards).

We asked why we didn't look at Gaertner last year and got told "the kid simply can't play".

Scorlibo
15-10-2008, 07:38 PM
Add Riley Milne (defender)

Yea I rate Riley Milne as well, very skillful key defender, if we used pick 64 we might be able to pick him up there but thing is he probably isn't enough of a proven performer to go at 31/32 and will attract too much interest as one of the few key defenders to go at pick 64.

Scorlibo
15-10-2008, 08:22 PM
Add another name to the pile (and what a name:D):

http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=68994

Sockeye Salmon
15-10-2008, 08:42 PM
Add another name to the pile (and what a name:D):

http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=68994

The only possible explanation is that the Cats simply don't rate him.

Scorlibo
15-10-2008, 09:53 PM
The only possible explanation is that the Cats simply don't rate him.

They're fools imo. If he nominates for the draft then I would expect him to go around about the same time we have our pick. Ranga is such a nice kid as well - doesn't deserve that kind of treatment.

LostDoggy
15-10-2008, 10:35 PM
His name is Ranga? I'm in love. ;)

soupman
16-10-2008, 02:12 PM
If Schoenmakers is available take him. From the highlight clips and stuff I've read about him he will be a gun. I also like what I've read about Paul Cahill, who's much more likely to slip to our pick.

Go_Dogs
16-10-2008, 07:03 PM
If Schoenmakers is available take him. From the highlight clips and stuff I've read about him he will be a gun. I also like what I've read about Paul Cahill, who's much more likely to slip to our pick.

I'd be fairly happy with this selection, but he isn't really a 'tall' forward, although he still may be growing a bit. He'd be more in the Tiller sort of mould, but probably has enough tools to not get caught out like a lot of these tweeners do.

He tested really well and plays CHF though, so certainly someone who we'd be looking at. Article on him in the courier the other week and a I think he's had a bit of interest.

Scorlibo
16-10-2008, 09:22 PM
I'd be fairly happy with this selection, but he isn't really a 'tall' forward, although he still may be growing a bit. He'd be more in the Tiller sort of mould, but probably has enough tools to not get caught out like a lot of these tweeners do.

He tested really well and plays CHF though, so certainly someone who we'd be looking at. Article on him in the courier the other week and a I think he's had a bit of interest.

I'm not sure what height he was given at draft camp but on the BF Phantom Trial Run he is listed as 194cm, 5cm taller than what he was supposed to be at the start of the year.

Go_Dogs
17-10-2008, 11:33 AM
I'm not sure what height he was given at draft camp but on the BF Phantom Trial Run he is listed as 194cm, 5cm taller than what he was supposed to be at the start of the year.

I'd be pretty surprised if he was 194 cm.

phroosh
18-10-2008, 01:38 AM
5 of those have played 10 senior games of VFL footy between them. I'd say there's a fair chance that at least 2 of them won't make it.

Will Skipper and Tiller be part of our long term future?

Will Williams spontaneously combust?

Will Minson explode and be charged with murder?
Keep topping up with 6' 4" (or bigger) blokes until you have too many.

He he. I bet he'd defend himself though!

I'm for the best players available. You won't get a power forward ready to go this year, so we have to trust the current list and choose two good players that don't need two years development. The tall 'power' forward thing is going to have be addressed with the current list now.

phroosh
18-10-2008, 01:39 AM
Outside players would be handy though. The next lot of midfielders seem quite hard.

soupman
18-10-2008, 04:14 PM
I'd be pretty surprised if he was 194 cm.

Apparently he's around the 193cm mark, which is a pretty good height for a CHF.

LostDoggy
19-10-2008, 11:36 AM
I have had a look at the number of clips for these highly rated juniors and I'm now warming to the notion that we dont necessarily need two talls at picks 31 and 32. I have also scoured a few footy forums and have read up on a couple of players as well as talking to a couple of people here on WOOF which have confirmed this views.
There is a host of mid sized utilities that I would be more than comfortable at getting with one of these picks. What I dont want to see is two more long term project players to go with Cordy.

A whole host of players like Jordan Roughead, Clancee Pearce, Jayden Post, Daniel Hanneberry, Jordan Lisle, Nick Suban and Mitch Brown might be available at our picks and if it meant that we got one tall and one mid I would be more than OK with that.

dog town
19-10-2008, 01:58 PM
if it meant that we got one tall and one mid I would be more than OK with that. I also think that would be the best way to go. I think too many good midfielders are available to take 3 talls with our 3 picks.

comrade
04-11-2008, 03:17 PM
What about Casey Sibosado? Definitely fits the Clayton smoky mold; rangy, athletic with that touch of X-factor. He's tall and can take a contested mark and on the field looks like Buddy, even wears number 23. From all reports he's a boom or bust type of guy, but again, they said that about Buddy.

Click here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e630UcTE5fE) for video.

LostDoggy
04-11-2008, 03:41 PM
What about Casey Sibosado? Definitely fits the Clayton smoky mold; rangy, athletic with that touch of X-factor. He's tall and can take a contested mark and on the field looks like Buddy, even wears number 23. From all reports he's a boom or bust type of guy, but again, they said that about Buddy.

Looks pretty good in that video.

GVGjr
04-11-2008, 04:12 PM

He ticks a lot of the boxes and could very well be in the mix. From memory he is something like 191/192 cm's tall.

ledge
04-11-2008, 04:53 PM
I like the looks of this kid, whats our chances of getting him at 31?

Scorlibo
04-11-2008, 05:02 PM
Sibosado looks very good, his kicking on goal looks better than Buddy's!

One player who is high up on my ratings is Sam Wright - one touch player, great below the knees and excellent mark, lovely crisp kick on both sides and clever playing on a half forward flank. Here are some TAC highlights of Wright (http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=IazjBLy4dOE&feature=related) and here are some TAC Grand Final highlights (http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=1yc4APqByO8)

Mofra
04-11-2008, 05:07 PM
He ticks a lot of the boxes and could very well be in the mix. From memory he is something like 191/192 cm's tall.
He seemed to take a few of those grabs in the video at the highest point of his leap, which from memory is something recruiters look for. We could do worse (is athlete first in Wells)

ledge
04-11-2008, 05:21 PM
With a name like Wright he must be good!

ledge
04-11-2008, 05:27 PM
Looks a bit like a Shaun Higgins type. Definitley a class look about him.

strebla
05-11-2008, 11:06 AM
He does look a player didn't enjoy the Dale Thomas comparison.I thought he went in and got his own aggot which is good and also works well in space.Would not hate seeing him in a Bullies jumper thanks to those of you who have posted video links.

LostDoggy
05-11-2008, 04:30 PM
With a name like Wright he must be good!

so will he have a massive gap in his teeth and play cricket like an englishman?:D

Dry Rot
05-11-2008, 06:21 PM
If Grant and Cordy look the goods up forward, does that change your view of what types of players we should use re picks 31 and 32?

GVGjr
05-11-2008, 06:35 PM
If Grant and Cordy look the goods up forward, does that change your view of what types of players we should use re picks 31 and 32?

It doesn't for me. I'm not that bullish on what Grant might be able to achieve in the seniors next year and Cordy is a long term project player. We need a tall and a running player and it doesn't worry me if it's a tall defender, forward or ruckman.

Scraggers
05-11-2008, 06:47 PM
It doesn't for me. I'm not that bullish on what Grant might be able to achieve in the seniors next year and Cordy is a long term project player. We need a tall and a running player and it doesn't worry me if it's a tall defender, forward or ruckman.

Agreed ... best available at the time (which should go with out saying)

Scorlibo
05-11-2008, 07:57 PM
He does look a player didn't enjoy the Dale Thomas comparison.I thought he went in and got his own aggot which is good and also works well in space.Would not hate seeing him in a Bullies jumper thanks to those of you who have posted video links.

Looks wise he is a lot like Dale Thomas but indeed he does go win his own ball and has sharper skills than Thomas.

Sockeye Salmon
05-11-2008, 08:00 PM
Agreed ... best available at the time (which should go with out saying)

No, no, no!

Best available got us in this mess in the first place.

We currently have three potential key forwards - Grant, Cordy and Boumann. They have played fewer than 10 senior VFL games between them.

In all likelihood (at least) one will prove to be a dud. If one gets injured we are back to a single key forward. Cordy might even be best suited as a ruck rather than forward.

We also only have Hudson (pushing 30) and Minson as ruck options. Shaw might get there but if he does it must be considered a bonus. Skipper is poo, please don't even mention Wight, he's only still on the list because he was contracted.

One key forward and a ruckman if practical (don't appear to be too many ruckman about), you don't take one that's poo just because.

We are also a key back short as well so if no ruckmen are worth drafting a key back will do.

If a midfielder too good to let go by slips to pick 31 you might consider him but for him to slip to pick 31 there must be a knock on him about something.

LostDoggy
05-11-2008, 08:39 PM
No, no, no!

Were we using best available when we selected Welsh, Wells and even Williams or were we picking for needs?
The method of best available isn't flawed as you might think it's been more that Clayton has got a lot wrong when it's come to his selections.
I get where you are coming from but Clayton just hasn't got the runs on the board when it comes to picking talls.

ledge
05-11-2008, 09:46 PM
Ok back to the question, take Casey Sibosado and Sam Wright, hows that for picks?, but in saying that, what chances are they will be available by then?

Scraggers
06-11-2008, 10:14 AM
No, no, no!

We currently have three potential key forwards - Grant, Cordy and Boumann. They have played fewer than 10 senior VFL games between them.

In all likelihood (at least) one will prove to be a dud. If one gets injured we are back to a single key forward. Cordy might even be best suited as a ruck rather than forward.

We also only have Hudson (pushing 30) and Minson as ruck options. Shaw might get there but if he does it must be considered a bonus. Skipper is poo, please don't even mention Wight, he's only still on the list because he was contracted.

One key forward and a ruckman if practical (don't appear to be too many ruckman about), you don't take one that's poo just because.

We are also a key back short as well so if no ruckmen are worth drafting a key back will do.

If a midfielder too good to let go by slips to pick 31 you might consider him but for him to slip to pick 31 there must be a knock on him about something.

You could say the same about our backline ... midfield ... small running brigade ...

Injury dessimated us in 2006, but we still went on to make the finals whereas last year we lost Williams and we thought the sky was falling !! We don't have the depth enjoyed by other clubs which is why we should take best available ... and at 31 & 32 our hands will be forced by the 30 selections that happen before we sit down

Sockeye Salmon
06-11-2008, 10:29 AM
You could say the same about our backline ... midfield ... small running brigade ...

Injury dessimated us in 2006, but we still went on to make the finals whereas last year we lost Williams and we thought the sky was falling !! We don't have the depth enjoyed by other clubs which is why we should take best available ... and at 31 & 32 our hands will be forced by the 30 selections that happen before we sit down

I also said I think we're a defender short as well, but at least Williams and Everitt have shown they can cut it at AFL level. Our three young forwards have never been named in the best player lists in the VFL!

One or two of our untried midfielders will fail as well, but we have about half a dozen of them - Ward, Reid, Stack, O'Keefe and Wood have all made VFL seniors best player lists - I have more faith in them cutting it in the AFL than kids who haven't even been tried in the VFL.

Mofra
06-11-2008, 10:39 AM

I agree with Sockeye for this year; Cordy may well be a tweener, and a Minson/Cordy ruck due doesn't strike me as particularly solid. Mulligan is apparently being groomed for elsewhere, Shaw is a maybe at best. I'd be wrapped if we picked up another ruckman and a tall utility or tall defender, as we haven't had a strong full time CHB since we either robbed the F50 of Grant or since Fossie.
Everitt may never develop the strength to play CHB fulltime (seems a run & carry type anyway) and Williams? Durability is not his greatest asset.

I'd take a key forward (many develop into key backs anyway) in lieu of key back (I'm not sold on Boumann by a long shot), but I don't think our KPP problems are solved by a long shot and our "next tier" of midfielders & runners (Reid, Ward, Stack, Hill, Harbrow, O'Keeffe, Lynch) are lining for their shot at the bigtime.

LostDoggy
06-11-2008, 10:51 AM
"So what do we do with picks 31 & 32?"

Why not kidnap Melbourne selectors. Put them in a room with Hypnotist Peter Powers and get him to make them think Pick 31 & 32 is a higher and better numbers than Pick 1 & 17

Then BAM! We can pick up two guns..

Im a genius huh..

Sockeye Salmon
06-11-2008, 04:26 PM
"So what do we do with picks 31 & 32?"

Why not kidnap Melbourne selectors. Put them in a room with Hypnotist Peter Powers and get him to make them think Pick 31 & 32 is a higher and better numbers than Pick 1 & 17

Then BAM! We can pick up two guns..

Im a genius huh..

Genius.

Spoken like a man who picks the Cup winner at 50-1 and then backs the favorite.

LostDoggy
06-11-2008, 08:22 PM
Genius.

Spoken like a man who picks the Cup winner at 50-1 and then backs the favorite.

Haha i have had a shocking spring carnival..

I also msg'd my mate whos a keen punter and gets the hot tips. Asked him who i should back out of Sirmione and Maldivian..he mentions Maldivian not in good form so i back Sirmione and look who won...

Luckily my last punt will be this Saturday :)

Scorlibo
08-11-2008, 12:49 PM
The BF Official Phantom is underway, many surprises including Cornelius and O'Keefe slipping to our picks but sportz1 (the dogs recruiter) opting to go for Rockliff and Post instead. Has got me thinking that it is quite likely that a few of the more highly rated players will slip to our pick one way or another. I'm sure Clayton would have picked out his players who will almost definitely be available at our picks and who he likes, and the interesting thing will be whether he goes for those players or whether he goes for the more highly rated ones who have slid. sportz1 picked out his 2 players and stuck by them at BF despite O'Keefe and Cornelius being major sliders. Will Clayton do the same? Last year Rance almost slipped to our pick at 19 and if he had there would have been some pretty intense discussion over whether to get the highly rated Rance or the bottom aged player on the rise in Ward.

azabob
08-11-2008, 12:52 PM
You have to go best player available. I would the success rate of picking a key position player above say pick 25 is very low.

Sockeye Salmon
08-11-2008, 02:28 PM
You have to go best player available. I would the success rate of picking a key position player above say pick 25 is very low.

The success rate of not picking one at all is lower

azabob
08-11-2008, 04:06 PM
The success rate of not picking one at all is lower

Sockeye Salmon I understand your frustration at not having many class tall players on our list. I agree it is an issue. But what is the point of taking a tall player who cannot make it at the top level, such as Cameron Wight, Pat Wiggins, Jessie Wells? the list goes on and on. Reality is a KP player who can dominate a game day in day out is rare. To get them you need to finish bottom and hope the best player is Key Position and when we have finished bottom they have not been. I guess it has to do with timing and luck.

Mofra
08-11-2008, 06:31 PM
Sockeye Salmon I understand your frustration at not having many class tall players on our list. I agree it is an issue. But what is the point of taking a tall player who cannot make it at the top level, such as Cameron Wight, Pat Wiggins, Jessie Wells? the list goes on and on. Reality is a KP player who can dominate a game day in day out is rare. To get them you need to finish bottom and hope the best player is Key Position and when we have finished bottom they have not been. I guess it has to do with timing and luck.
Fev was 30+
Bradshaw was 56
Harris/Lake was 71
Grant was 105 (unlikely to be repeated)
Quenten Lynch was a rookie

Walsh was pick 4, Laycock 7 :eek:

There are good KPPs available in later picks, and if the KPP talent is available we should go for it

azabob
08-11-2008, 08:18 PM
Fev was 30+
Bradshaw was 56
Harris/Lake was 71
Grant was 105 (unlikely to be repeated)
Quenten Lynch was a rookie

Walsh was pick 4, Laycock 7 :eek:

There are good KPPs available in later picks, and if the KPP talent is available we should go for it

if its available for sure we should go for it. And I think your being a bit kind to Quenten Lynch putting him in the same bracket as those other guys, I doubt he would solve any of our problems.

Sockeye Salmon
08-11-2008, 10:31 PM

No question that it is much riskier taking a punt on bigger kids but at some stage you have to take a deep breathe and go for it.

More often the picks will miss - after all most do, only 30-something % of kids drafted play 100 games - but you have to keep picking them anyway, otherwise you'll end up in the position we're in with a team full of dwarves.

It depends on your objectives as a recruiter. If you want to show off your record about how many good players you've drafted pick mids every time, they're much more likely to be senior players; but if you want to be a team player, risk missing out more often on taller kids and put up with teenagers and middle-aged football tragics slagging you off on football websites.

Mofra
08-11-2008, 11:51 PM
if its available for sure we should go for it. And I think your being a bit kind to Quenten Lynch putting him in the same bracket as those other guys, I doubt he would solve any of our problems.
A hulking big forward with a decent engine who can kick 60m+ and help out in the ruck if need be?
He'd be very valuable at the Bulldogs

Sockeye Salmon
08-11-2008, 11:56 PM
A hulking big forward with a decent engine who can kick 60m+ and help out in the ruck if need be?
He'd be very valuable at the Bulldogs

Lynch was one of those big sliders in the draft. He was talked up as a 2nd round pick in the phantoms but WC got him in the rookie draft.

Our last pick in the national draft that year was Aaron James.

5 minutes into the 1st intraclub game we all knew his knee was stuffed, he could barely run.

Dogs 24/7
09-11-2008, 12:10 AM
Any chance that Davis might be available for our picks ? I have been reading a few things that would indicate him being just what we need.

Sockeye Salmon
09-11-2008, 11:14 AM
Any chance that Davis might be available for our picks ? I have been reading a few things that would indicate him being just what we need.

It's not looking likely.

He's been linked to the Crows, perhaps even as their first pick, so if he makes it to 28 you would expect the Crows to grab him with their 2nd rounder.

bulldogsman
10-11-2008, 08:01 PM
The thing with this draft is its meant to be one of the best drafts if not the best for recruiting talls. The chances of getting a good tall in this draft has greatly increased compared to other years

Scraggers
26-11-2008, 10:56 AM
How about ...

Pick 31. Jordan Roughead – 199cm, 87kg – North Ballarat
Pick 32. Tom Lynch – 191cm, 84kg – Sandringham Dragons / Steve Gaertner – 198cm, 88kg -Dandenong Stingrays (if Lynch is gone by pick 32)

And ...

Pick 63. Ben Cousins West Coast Eagles

Any takers ???

Sockeye Salmon
26-11-2008, 12:12 PM
How about ...

Pick 31. Jordan Roughead – 199cm, 87kg – North Ballarat
Pick 32. Tom Lynch – 191cm, 84kg – Sandringham Dragons / Steve Gaertner – 198cm, 88kg -Dandenong Stingrays (if Lynch is gone by pick 32)

And ...

Pick 48. Ben Cousins West Coast Eagles

Any takers ???

Roughead I could handle.

I'm not keen on Lynch. I see him as the classical tweener, not a midfielder and not a KPP. His agility looked really poor. He reminded me of the Ugg Boot, actually.

I know we won't take Gaertner. "The kid simply can't play" - that's what I was told last year when no-one drafted him.

And thankfully we don't have a pick 48 (gave it to St. Kilda, remember?).

Scraggers
26-11-2008, 01:29 PM
Roughead I could handle.

I'm not keen on Lynch. I see him as the classical tweener, not a midfielder and not a KPP. His agility looked really poor. He reminded me of the Ugg Boot, actually.

I know we won't take Gaertner. "The kid simply can't play" - that's what I was told last year when no-one drafted him.

And thankfully we don't have a pick 48 (gave it to St. Kilda, remember?).

Thanks SS ... have editted :o

Sockeye Salmon
26-11-2008, 01:33 PM
Thanks SS ... have editted :o

I meant I don't want any drug addicts in my club.

Desipura
26-11-2008, 01:51 PM
Michael Still's and Mtch Browns highlights are on the AFL website.
Michael Still highlights are very impressive, unusual kicking style, kicked 41 goals this year. I know Sockeye was impressed by the write up a few weeks back.

Mitch Brown appears a little robotic for mine similar to a Luke Penny.

LostDoggy
26-11-2008, 07:08 PM
Agree it riskier to take talls but not this draft .
It seems to be rich in tall talent this year & besides we seem to have drafted at least 3 100 + game midfielders last year in Ward,Okeefe & Reid.

2 of Cornelius,Roughead or Mc Culloch would be a reat fit for us.

GVGjr
26-11-2008, 07:10 PM
Agree it riskier to take talls but not this draft .
It seems to be rich in tall talent this year & besides we seem to have drafted at least 3 100 + game midfielders last year in Ward,Okeefe & Reid.

2 of Cornelius,Roughead or Mc Culloch would be a reat fit for us.

Welcome aboard. I think you will find a number of us will agree that this is a good draft for us to take at least more one tall along with Cordy.

Go_Dogs
26-11-2008, 08:21 PM
Michael Still's and Mtch Browns highlights are on the AFL website.
Michael Still highlights are very impressive, unusual kicking style, kicked 41 goals this year. I know Sockeye was impressed by the write up a few weeks back.

Mitch Brown appears a little robotic for mine similar to a Luke Penny.

Interestingly enough, Still doesn't even get a mention in the MB Phantom.

Sockeye Salmon
26-11-2008, 09:31 PM
Interestingly enough, Still doesn't even get a mention in the MB Phantom.

Have a look at the hanger Still takes in the first 10-15 seconds or so. I'd draft him just because of that, it's a ripper.

LostDoggy
26-11-2008, 09:49 PM
Welcome aboard. I think you will find a number of us will agree that this is a good draft for us to take at least more one tall along with Cordy.

Thanks GVGjr. Heard good things about the site.
Seems to be some passionate & thoughtful doggie fans around.
An early observation i have made though
Some must let go of the Richmond,Brown,Wallace & now Mcmahon sagas it borders on obsession for some it not normal ,Move On Fellas!
Im sure the Rfc dont waste any energy worrying about Wbd.

As for the talls i
Went for Roughhead & McCulloch as they have bigger bodies than the beanpoles Cordy & Grant.
Both will be special players once they fill out though but it going to take time.

Sockeye Salmon
26-11-2008, 10:23 PM
Thanks GVGjr. Heard good things about the site.
Seems to be some passionate & thoughtful doggie fans around.
An early observation i have made though
Some must let go of the Richmond,Brown,Wallace & now Mcmahon sagas it borders on obsession for some it not normal ,Move On Fellas!
Im sure the Rfc dont waste any energy worrying about Wbd.

As for the talls i
Went for Roughhead & McCulloch as they have bigger bodies than the beanpoles Cordy & Grant.
Both will be special players once they fill out though but it going to take time.

I don't think I would be going with 2 ruckmen. I notice on afl.com.au Ayce says that he's a ruckman and wants to model his game on Dean Cox.

Minson is 24 next year, Shaw is a maybe on the rookie list and Cordy. If Roughead falls to 31 I wouldn't have a problem with that, but one of the picks must be a key forward.

Liam Jones, Casey Sibsodo, Michael Still, Mitch Brown (who didn't look much in that short video), Nathan O'Keefe.

Dogs 24/7
26-11-2008, 10:57 PM
I heard a whisper today that we were interested in Luke Thompson from the Falcons.
He is a 192cm forward and young enough to play at the TAC for another season.

LostDoggy
28-11-2008, 12:26 AM
I don't think I would be going with 2 ruckmen. I notice on afl.com.au Ayce says that he's a ruckman and wants to model his game on Dean Cox.

Minson is 24 next year, Shaw is a maybe on the rookie list and Cordy. If Roughead falls to 31 I wouldn't have a problem with that, but one of the picks must be a key forward.

Liam Jones, Casey Sibsodo, Michael Still, Mitch Brown (who didn't look much in that short video), Nathan O'Keefe.

Agree cant take 2 ruckman, i meant Cornelius or similiar player & 1 of Roughhead or McCulloch.
Think we agree gotta go tall whichever ever 2 we take.

Mofra
28-11-2008, 11:43 AM
I heard a whisper today that we were interested in Luke Thompson from the Falcons.
He is a 192cm forward and young enough to play at the TAC for another season.
Another one who hasn't been mentioned much in draft talk. Clayton hasn't had a problem with bottom agers in the past.