PDA

View Full Version : Tall Trade Beyond Dogs

bulldogtragic
10-10-2008, 05:58 PM
westernbulldogs.com.au

Tall trade beyond the Bulldogs
By Jennifer Witham
2:05 PM Fri 10 October, 2008

THE WESTERN Bulldogs have ended trade week without securing a ready-made tall forward, but are optimistic they have the resources to develop their own.

The Dogs went after several established key position players during trade week, including Sydney Swan Barry Hall and West Coast Eagle Ashley Hansen, but were unable to reach an agreement with any club.

Football manager James Fantasia said while it was disappointing to miss out on acquiring an experienced forward, the club is confident it has an emerging brigade of prospects all capable of becoming that type of player.

"To be honest, we were quite active behind the scenes. We did a process of elimination; we worked on all the 190cm-plus players on every list, and then we virtually went to every club and spoke about their best two or three to see what it would take," he told afl.com.au after the Dogs wrapped up their trade week talks on Friday at Telstra Dome.

"Most clubs just don't want to move on their talls, it's just too difficult. I think historically, if you look at what's happened through trade week, there hasn't been a lot of first graders in terms of talls go.

"It was reported early that we had a go at Hall, and yes we did, and we also had a go at Hansen and those types of players. But in the end, it just didn't fall our way."

"But it comes back to drafting and developing your own, and that's where we're keen to see if we can do that.

"We've got a great development team and great coaches, so we think that we can.

"One of the great things for our club at the moment, we have three young guys coming in that fit that bill: Ayce Cordy, Jarrad Grant and Jarrad Boumann, who are all genuine prospects and play key position roles.

"From a rookie's point of view, we've got a really good crop of guys there and we're looking for big years from those guys."

The Dogs put through one trade during the week, with midfielder Farren Ray going to St Kilda for selection No.31.

Fantasia, who previously stated the club would only accept a second-round pick or better for the 22-year-old, said the result is a "win-win" for both parties.

"In the end, we got a second round draft pick so it put us back into play in terms of drafting new players," he said.

"With the quality of the players there, the types, we think it will give us a chance to secure the tall that we needed to get.

"We might end up with two with pick 31 and 32, and then you add Ayce Cordy at 202cm and so, if anything, it's probably given us a bit more flexibility in and around that cluster of players. We could arguably get the best midfielder as well as the best tall in that cluster.

"And, Farren wanted to stay in Melbourne, and it was all about opportunity.

"St Kilda showed by the deal that was done by the second round draft pick that they were prepared to offer him that opportunity, and he goes with our best wishes."

bulldogtragic
10-10-2008, 06:00 PM
Can't say we didn't try i guess.

Dogs 24/7
11-10-2008, 04:16 PM
It's very interesting but it seems we didn't shop around any of our players other than Farren. Maybe we did but it's surprising that none of it made it into the media.

bornadog
11-10-2008, 06:34 PM
It's very interesting but it seems we didn't shop around any of our players other than Farren. Maybe we did but it's surprising that none of it made it into the media.

Thats good, I don't think I would like it if my name was on the table like the North Players, Jones, Harris etc. The club has done a good job.

LostDoggy
11-10-2008, 06:44 PM
Thats good, I don't think I would like it if my name was on the table like the North Players, Jones, Harris etc. The club has done a good job.

I don't get this because we said repeatedly we were going to chase a key forward. Given that we apparently didn't offer up anyone else other than Ray how did we actually plan to get one?
It was treat to get an extra 2nd round pick and to land Cordy but we haven't exactly shaken up the list and addressed any imbalances.
I can't see how the club has done a good job because other than getting a pick for Ray what else have they done?

bornadog
11-10-2008, 06:59 PM
I don't get this because we said repeatedly we were going to chase a key forward. Given that we apparently didn't offer up anyone else other than Ray how did we actually plan to get one?
It was treat to get an extra 2nd round pick and to land Cordy but we haven't exactly shaken up the list and addressed any imbalances.
I can't see how the club has done a good job because other than getting a pick for Ray what else have they done?

Obviously what other clubs were prepared to give up and what those clubs asked us to give up didn't match.

I am happy with the trade period, there are no power talls out there prepared to leave their clubs, we get Cordy, get rid of Ray and still have picks 31, 32. As the article says, the club listed every player above 190cm for every club and then went through them. You can't do anything more than that.

Bulldog Revolution
11-10-2008, 07:06 PM
I know what you are saying Sunshine, but I think Bornadog hits the nail on the head

The reality is it has been very rare that gun key position players are ever traded. When they are its because they've had issues e.g Lockett, Hall etc, but really there aren't many good ones ever traded, and we've recycled more than most clubs with little success.

This way the job is easy, we have to draft them, and we have to get coaches who can develop them.

LostDoggy
11-10-2008, 07:11 PM
Obviously what other clubs were prepared to give up and what those clubs asked us to give up didn't match.

I am happy with the trade period, there are no power talls out there prepared to leave their clubs, we get Cordy, get rid of Ray and still have picks 31, 32. As the article says, the club listed every player above 190cm for every club and then went through them. You can't do anything more than that.

But that's hardly a good job is it ? At the end of the trade period we lost Ray and a 3rd round draft pick for a 2nd round draft pick. I think we might have just got an average deal on this. I know it was a most difficult trade period for all clubs but I would call our efforts somewhat neutral rather than being a good job. This play on words on my behalf is a bit petty I know but why give the club a big tick of approval when they really did bugger all?

LostDoggy
11-10-2008, 07:16 PM
I know what you are saying Sunshine, but I think Bornadog hits the nail on the head

The reality is it has been very rare that gun key position players are ever traded. When they are its because they've had issues e.g Lockett, Hall etc, but really there aren't many good ones ever traded, and we've recycled more than most clubs with little success.

This way the job is easy, we have to draft them, and we have to get coaches who can develop them.

I'm sure the club did everything within reason to try and address our lack of a key forward but is there any chance that Clayton won't even select a forward with these two picks ?

The Coon Dog
11-10-2008, 07:35 PM
This play on words on my behalf is a bit petty I know but why give the club a big tick of approval when they really did bugger all?
Where I was happy was a) with the decision not to entertain anyone we hadn't spoke about earlier in the week as we wouldn't have had time to complete medical checks & b) we didn't trade anyone in just for the sake of it.

Very happy with what we did, or didn't do.