PDA

View Full Version : So Perfectly Farren

Sockeye Salmon
12-10-2008, 12:22 AM
I stayed home tonight and babysat while my wife went out with the girls.

Suffering footy withdrawal, I pulled out the video of Granty breaking Hawk's games record (v Richmond).

There was one piece of play that was so perfectly Farren.

Pettifer is in perfect position to mark but Farren gets a long arm in to knock the ball away, then he keeps his feet and wins the one-on-one. His pace burns Pettifer off and Faz has a bounce. Then he chips it 15 metres to Cooney and misses the target by 5 metres.

Cooney wins the ball under pressure and gives it back to Faz who then loops a high handball to Westy who gets hammered. Faz is still backing up and picks up the loose ball and then ...

You guessed it, he gets run down from behind.

There it is folks, all of Farren in piece of play.

Scraggers
12-10-2008, 03:24 AM
Geez I"m gunna miss him ... god bless his little cotton socks.

Maybe in his absence we could coin a new phrase ... instead of unforced errors they could be called Farrens ???

MrMahatma
12-10-2008, 07:00 AM
He's one of those unique guys. His positive attributes are tremendous, but his negatives are horrendous to the point that he's a major liability.

Farewell young Farren.

Desipura
12-10-2008, 08:51 AM
your wife did not go to dinner at an Italian restaurant in Pt Cook by any chance Sockeye?
Your night sounds errily similar to mine.

dog town
12-10-2008, 09:23 AM
You guessed it, he gets run down from behind.

I have never seen anything like it. He just doesn't react to chasing pressure. I think he is aware that they are after him but he just thinks he can shake them off. I could handle the skill errors but that part of his game drove me insane. It can turn the momentum of a game.

Sockeye Salmon
12-10-2008, 10:10 AM
your wife did not go to dinner at an Italian restaurant in Pt Cook by any chance Sockeye?

In the Western Suburbs? I don't think so.

Canterbury.

The Coon Dog
12-10-2008, 10:21 AM

Sockeye has SatNav in his car that just flat out refuses to go to anywhere west of the city, other than the Whitten Oval.

Mofra
12-10-2008, 01:58 PM
I have never seen anything like it. He just doesn't react to chasing pressure. I think he is aware that they are after him but he just thinks he can shake them off. I could handle the skill errors but that part of his game drove me insane. It can turn the momentum of a game.
Griff doesn't react to chasing pressure either - took on both Judd & Bartel at different stages this year.

The slight, teeny weeny difference being that Griff almost never gets caught, often shakes the tackle of if he does, and his disposal is excellent... and Griff does it from congested play, not the HB line.

But apart from that, there are similarities...

hujsh
12-10-2008, 03:02 PM
Griff doesn't react to chasing pressure either - took on both Judd & Bartel at different stages this year.

The slight, teeny weeny difference being that Griff almost never gets caught, often shakes the tackle of if he does, and his disposal is excellent... and Griff does it from congested play, not the HB line.

Yes he does. He'll pick up the speed to shake the chaser off.

Farren just takes his time

vho
12-10-2008, 03:52 PM
Well, i think Rocket gave Griff direct orders to take opposition players on every time he gets the ball, even if it means he'll get caught sometimes. He just breaks the lines, similar to Hahn. :)

wb_age
12-10-2008, 07:06 PM

Griff definitely reacts to chasing pressure, you can pretty much see him glance over his shoulder, see the chaser and then switch on the rockets whilst engaging in his signature goosestep.

Compare this to Ray who doesnt even notice he is being chased and is one paced until he is tackled.

MrMahatma
13-10-2008, 03:14 AM
Ray tends to be out in the clear, jogging along, and gets run down by a guy who was about 20 meters behind him when he got the ball. It's weird.

LostDoggy
13-10-2008, 09:21 AM

Canterbury.

Got home alright without getting mugged, I hope?

Desipura
13-10-2008, 09:23 AM

Canterbury.
Don't rate the West?

Sockeye Salmon
13-10-2008, 11:01 AM
Don't rate the West?

Grew up there and never want to go back.

If it wasn't for the Whitten Oval I'd never cross the Westgate.

The Coon Dog
13-10-2008, 11:07 AM
Grew up there and never want to go back.

If it wasn't for the Whitten Oval I'd never cross the Westgate.
Some people are going to fall into this you know? :D

Desipura
13-10-2008, 11:24 AM
I take it you do not head down to the Penninsula during the summer then?

Sockeye Salmon
13-10-2008, 12:18 PM
I take it you do not head down to the Penninsula during the summer then?

Of course I do.

Everybody goes to Portsea, don't they?

craigsahibee
13-10-2008, 01:10 PM
Griff definitely reacts to chasing pressure, you can pretty much see him glance over his shoulder, see the chaser and then switch on the rockets whilst engaging in his signature goosestep.

Compare this to Ray who doesnt even notice he is being chased and is one paced until he is tackled.

Griff actually slows down to suck the chaser into tackling him then simply runs away. He toys with them.

Desipura
13-10-2008, 01:18 PM
Of course I do.

Everybody goes to Portsea, don't they?
They do, thats why I don't. There's some beautiful beaches like Apollo Bay. You may have to go voer the Westgate though.

Happy Days
13-10-2008, 07:03 PM
They do, thats why I don't. There's some beautiful beaches like Apollo Bay. You may have to go voer the Westgate though.

Apollo is the place to be...provides the best surface for beach cricket :)

1eyedog
14-10-2008, 12:11 AM

Except that Griff has 10-12 kg on Farren and most of that is in the hips and upper thighs

Scraggers
14-10-2008, 11:20 AM
Except that Griff has 10-12 kg on Farren and most of that is in the hips and upper thighs

Plus the 1.8 kg of brain matter that Farren seemed to be lacking

Go_Dogs
14-10-2008, 01:57 PM
Yes he does. He'll pick up the speed to shake the chaser off.

Spot on. Griff burning off Motlop was one of the highlights of his season. His pace is brilliant, just needs to have the awareness and nous to pick his time to run, and not automatically take off every time he receives the ball.