PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Fixture

The Coon Dog
19-10-2008, 03:01 AM
To be released on Friday.

Freo away first up.

Vic clubs to stay home (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24517197-19742,00.html)

ESSENDON and the Western Bulldogs will be the only Victorian clubs to travel in next year's opening AFL round.

While the draw for next season will be officially released on Friday, and therefore remains subject to change, it is believed eight of the 10 Victorian clubs will play in their home state in Round 1.

The Bombers have been drawn to meet Port Adelaide at AAMI Stadium, while the Bulldogs will head across the Nullarbor to meet Fremantle at Subiaco Oval.

In the draft version of the 2009 draw, Richmond and Carlton are scheduled to kick off the season on a Thursday night.

The Tigers and the Blues drew a crowd of 72,552 to this year's opening game, which was on the eve of Good Friday. Given the improvement of both sides, the AFL would hoping to match that figure.

Another big crowd would be expected the following night when 2008 grand finalists Hawthorn and Geelong meet in the first Friday night game of the season.

They drew 86,179 to their Round 17 game this year, while the Grand Final attracted 100,012.

The Saints and the Swans will meet in Round 1, as they did this season, while Collingwood will likely play Adelaide.

Melbourne is poised to host North Melbourne in the 1pm Sunday game, ensuring no Victorian matches clash with the Formula One Grand Prix at Albert Park, which will start next year at the later time of 5pm.

hujsh
19-10-2008, 03:14 AM
Shame. Have made a habit of attending the 1st game of the year.

How many years in a row does Richmond have to play Carlton 1st up?

Scraggers
19-10-2008, 03:39 AM
Shame. Have made a habit of attending the 1st game of the year.

How many years in a row does Richmond have to play Carlton 1st up?

Make the trip ... I'll have a coldie waiting for you when you get here !!

LostDoggy
19-10-2008, 02:20 PM
Likely Round One

Thursday March 26
Richmond vs Carlton MCG (n)

Friday March 27
Hawthorn vs Geelong MCG (n)

Saturday March 28
Collingwood vs Adelaide MCG
St Kilda vs Sydney TD (n)
Brisbane vs West Coast G (n)

Sunday March 29
Melbourne vs North Melbourne MCG
Port Adelaide vs Essendon AS
Fremantle vs Western Bulldogs S (twilight)

Interesting Fact
Last time we played interstate in Round 1 was 2000 against Adelaide at Football Park, Doggies won that game 131-108

bornadog
19-10-2008, 11:53 PM
Another year of fixed and rigged fixtures, what a bloody joke.

Mantis
20-10-2008, 09:26 AM
Another year of fixed and rigged fixtures, what a bloody joke.

Why should next year's fixture be any different to every other fixture submitted since the exception of the interstate team's?

LostDoggy
20-10-2008, 11:30 AM
How is it rigged or fixed just because we travel in rnd 1? The last time we travelled round 1 was 2000, I think its fair enough.
The world/AFL isnt against us. Are Bulldog supporters to precious?

The Coon Dog
20-10-2008, 11:45 AM
How is it rigged or fixed just because we travel in rnd 1? The last time we travelled round 1 was 2000, I think its fair enough.
The world/AFL isnt against us. Are Bulldog supporters to precious?

I don't think it's anything to do with travel in round 1, it's more that some teams are guaranteed to play each other twice.

bornadog
20-10-2008, 01:19 PM
I don't think it's anything to do with travel in round 1, it's more that some teams are guaranteed to play each other twice.

spot on TCD, you know what I mean.