PDA

View Full Version : Shane Birss gets the flick

aker39
21-10-2008, 11:43 AM
St Kilda have delisted Shane Birss.

He joins a long list of players who just couldn't keep a permanent spot in a team.

The Underdog
21-10-2008, 11:48 AM
That's a shame, I always had a bit of a soft spot for Birss and hoped he'd do well at St.Kilda. Didn't appear to be a favourite of Lyon's and had to do exceptionally well to hold his spot. Good luck to him wherever he ends up. I imagine the AFL is out of his reach although there's worse players still on lists.

Sedat
21-10-2008, 01:53 PM
Trading Birssy to the Saints gave us an additional 4th round selection in what was described as one of the best draft pools in years. That extra selection allowed us to not to have to choose between Josh Hill and Malcolm Lynch, so we could get both.

Hope Birssy has a great career at the next level down, be it the VFL or SANFL.

bulldogtragic
21-10-2008, 03:16 PM
I really liked Shane, was a favourite. I loved his attack on the ball. I especially like we gave him an opportunity by taking a late pick for him, unlike other clubs that would have let him die a natural death on their list or delist them outright. Shame, i thought he gave reasonable service to the Saints, but there is obviously a changing of the guard. I wish him the best, i hope he goes to Willi and rips it up.

LostDoggy
21-10-2008, 04:57 PM
I suppose St Kilda realised they now have 3 players of the same ilk on their list, what with Fiona and Sharon being of a similar build and style.

mighty_west
21-10-2008, 08:15 PM
I suppose St Kilda realised they now have 3 players of the same ilk on their list, what with Fiona and Sharon being of a similar build and style.

The difference is, that Birssy is hard at it, has his limitations, but is also a very good kick for goal.

Finey on SEN has just SLAMMED the Saints for delisting him!!!!

Birss >>>>>> Farren.

Mantis
21-10-2008, 08:24 PM
The difference is, that Birssy is hard at it, has his limitations, but is also a very good kick for goal.

Birss >>>>>> Farren.

I think that grading is way off the mark.

BulldogBelle
21-10-2008, 10:24 PM
Quite surprised with Birss being shown the door - there was an article about Farren Ray the other week and he mentioned that Birss rang him to welcome him to the Saints, I don't think that Birss saw his delistment coming. Good luck to him and wish him the best.

Topdog
21-10-2008, 10:26 PM
Really poor form by the Saints, could have at least shopped him around during trade week.

Big Will
21-10-2008, 10:29 PM

Birss >>>>>> Farren.

In terms of a player you admire for their heart it's Birss>>>Farren Ray

In terms of potential however... Farren Ray>>>>>>>>>>>>>Birss

Disappointing that he has been delisted though, it's a shame that some more skilful players are not as willing as Birss.

FrediKanoute
21-10-2008, 11:13 PM
Shame.....always liked him as a player and felt that if he'd had a better run with injuries he may have established himself with us sooner. Always seemed to cop a strange injury at the wrong time.

Obviously the Saints need to manage their list, but he did manage 20 out 22 games this season!

LostDoggy
21-10-2008, 11:35 PM
Same sentiments as the rest of you guys. His commitment and work ethic could never be questioned. I'm sure at one stage for us he was averaging 1 goal a week, I really thought he'd go on and cement a place. It's a real shame.

Good Luck for the future Shane. :)

Throughandthrough
22-10-2008, 01:52 PM
Really poor form by the Saints, could have at least shopped him around during trade week.

Probably did.

I'd presume that every player that is delisted by every club at the moment has been put up for trade.

LostDoggy
22-10-2008, 04:41 PM
I don't think that Birss saw his delistment coming.

Correct, Birss had the rug pulled out from under him.

GVGjr
22-10-2008, 06:35 PM
Correct, Birss had the rug pulled out from under him.

CD, you will know more about this than I, is it true that the Saints didn't even put his name forward at the trade week?
If so, he wouldn't have had much of a clue that he was going.

Sedat
22-10-2008, 06:51 PM
Quite surprised with Birss being shown the door - there was an article about Farren Ray the other week and he mentioned that Birss rang him to welcome him to the Saints, I don't think that Birss saw his delistment coming. Good luck to him and wish him the best.
Alarm bells ringing in the Ray household? Perhaps he can see what might happen to him 2 years from now if he isn't absolutely carving it up at Moorabbin.

Pretty shabby treatment of Birssy by the Aints. Not only his very premature delisting but the repeated non-playing of him behind slightly younger, but undeniably shitter footballers. Melbourne could do a hell of a lot worse that procure the services of Birssy in the PSD to help toughen up their soft-cock midfield.

Mantis
22-10-2008, 07:59 PM
There was a little bit of scuttle-butt on SEN about the Drain connection.

Would there be any truth to this?

mighty_west
22-10-2008, 08:13 PM
I think that grading is way off the mark.

Why mate?

IMO Birssy, whilst not a star, is very hard at it, puts his body on the line, is also a very good kick for goal, is one of those that tries his guts out.

As for Farren, an OUTSIDE midfielder with poor skills and VERY POOR decision making!!!!

Don't get me wrong, i thought Farren would become a very good player from watching him in the under 18's, but came to realise that he definatly has his limitations, i also remember one time this season at the G when Cooney had a player chasing him on the boundary, rather than helping Coons out for a shepherd, he was like a seagull waiting for the ball, was very poor.

LostDoggy
22-10-2008, 08:31 PM
Shattered, absolutely shattered.

LostDoggy
22-10-2008, 10:20 PM
CD, you will know more about this than I, is it true that the Saints didn't even put his name forward at the trade week?
If so, he wouldn't have had much of a clue that he was going.

GVG, Saints didn't put his name up on the trade table & Birss had no idea what was going on it was as a complete & utter surprise to him. A bit of a low act IMO.

LostDoggy
22-10-2008, 11:11 PM
Thats a real shame. Good luck to him in whatever he does in the future.

Dry Rot
22-10-2008, 11:25 PM
Thats a real shame. Good luck to him in whatever he does in the future.

Agreed, but if we still had him would we give him another season or cut him too?

soupman
23-10-2008, 11:49 AM
Agreed, but if we still had him would we give him another season or cut him too?

We would probably have cut him, but our midfield is completely different to St.Kilda's.

Its a shame in that he is a player that has worked his guts out but just isn't quite good enough, despite being just off the pace. He's been so close to making it, and yet he's just fallen short. I hope he gets another chance but I doubt he will get one. Will make a very good VFL player.

Raw Toast
23-10-2008, 06:38 PM

We probably would have cut him, BUT we also would've shopped him around and tried to find a trade for him to continue his career.

Also if he had been around in 07 he would've got a fair few chances to cement his place in the team given the injuries we had.

soupman
23-10-2008, 06:50 PM
We probably would have cut him, BUT we also would've shopped him around and tried to find a trade for him to continue his career.

Also if he had been around in 07 he would've got a fair few chances to cement his place in the team given the injuries we had.

Yeah, but knowing his luck he'd be one of those players on the injury list.

GVGjr
23-10-2008, 07:35 PM
He could do a job at least as good if not better than Tim Callan in my opinion.

Topdog
23-10-2008, 09:21 PM

He would have been shopped around at the very least.

The Coon Dog
24-10-2008, 08:01 AM
Shane Birss's goal to play on (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24543660-19742,00.html)

FORMER St Kilda tagger Shane Birss hopes his season forging a reputation as a goal-kicking tagger will see a rival club extend him an AFL lifeline.

Birss was dumped by the Saints on Tuesday despite making the most of limited opportunities this year.

He played only eight games but averaged 15 possessions and a goal a game, impressing many sceptical St Kilda fans.

Birss even warmed up as the 23rd man for the semi-final against Collingwood - drawing an AFL fine - before Lenny Hayes overcame back spasms and proved his fitness.

"I probably could see it coming a little bit," Birss said of his delisting yesterday.

"Later on the year I thought I was in pretty good form at VFL level and there were guys getting picked over the top of me. The hardest thing for me was hearing the final words.

"It was shattering news and it was really hard to take. I will definitely be putting myself in the draft for another chance."

The former Bulldog has played 71 games but says his age - he is still only 25 - might play in his favour.

"Fingers crossed there is a club out there that needs a run-with player, or someone like me," he said.

"I suppose that was the most frustrating thing. When I was playing I was in reasonable form and my body has been in good nick.

"It is the fittest I have been in my career, so that was the most frustrating thing.

"I thought I was playing OK, and playing some good games and doing roles, and to get dropped every now and then was definitely one of the frustrating things."

Birss will nominate for the national draft on November 29 and the pre-season draft on December 16.

"Hopefully something positive happens in (the draft) and if it doesn't I will have to assess my options from there. I feel like I am still young."

LostDoggy
24-10-2008, 09:49 AM
Makes me want to cry just hearing hes been delisted.

I realy really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really reallyreally really really really really really hope he stays in Melbourne

Sockeye Salmon
24-10-2008, 12:30 PM
Makes me want to cry just hearing hes been delisted.

I realy really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really reallyreally really really really really really hope he stays in Melbourne

Why would you care?

Unless you're shagging him.

Sedat
24-10-2008, 12:38 PM
And yet they are considering an absolute spud in Nathan Carroll who is older than Birss and has a rap sheet a mile long - go figure

Gardiner, Cousins and Carroll in the one team - they must be trying to reprise the roaring days of the Moorabbin social club

Bulldog Revolution
24-10-2008, 12:43 PM
The article to me shows what a class act he is as a guy, he could have whinged to the paper about how he'd had no inkling it was coming etc

The Saints never gave him a huge opportunity. Attard, Dempster and then a range of rookies were preferred over him, and I thought a few times he was dropped after playing genuinely well - seemed to be a Lyon scapegoat. Interesting the Saints are planning to add Nathan Carroll and Ben Cousins on the back of delisting a player with such integrity.

He started with Willy as a backpocket. If he doesn't get another opportunity to play AFL then I'd like to see Willy sign him. I think he'd be a good teammates for our our younger players to have whilst playing VFL

Sockeye Salmon
24-10-2008, 03:03 PM
He started with Willy as a backpocket. If he doesn't get another opportunity to play AFL then I'd like to see Willy sign him. I think he'd be a good teammates for our our younger players to have whilst playing VFL

And won a B & F

Mantis
24-10-2008, 04:37 PM

If Peter Street is getting offered 100K for 3 years of service in the SANFL you would have to think that Birss would get this amount of money over 2 which would be out of Willi's price range.

LostDoggy
24-10-2008, 05:26 PM
Why would you care?

Unless you're shagging him.

Excuse me....

I want him to stay in Melbourne because apart from Will hes my fav player in the league, ive followed his career since the day we drafted him. My aunty knows his family, so yes im a huge fan of his and would love for him to stay in Melbourne, so i can continue to watch him play live.

Dogs 24/7
25-10-2008, 12:20 AM
If Peter Street is getting offered 100K for 3 years of service in the SANFL you would have to think that Birss would get this amount of money over 2 which would be out of Willi's price range.

Is that 100K multiplied 3 or 100K divided by 3 ?

Topdog
25-10-2008, 09:45 AM
He is a class act. Think he would be a good pickup for Melbourne - true class act, very hard worker, would be cheap to pick up and will be 29 when all their young guys start coming into their prime.

strebla
25-10-2008, 10:54 AM
He is a class act. Think he would be a good pickup for Melbourne - true class act, very hard worker, would be cheap to pick up and will be 29 when all their young guys start coming into their prime.

Good call Top Dog I too think he would fit well at Melbourne or possibly Fremantle for the same reason

bulldogtragic
25-10-2008, 01:13 PM
Anyone else loosely see the Brent Guerra type similar circumstances?

I.e. - BG moved on from Port and the Saints. Tough at mid-fielder, can tag and shut down, kick the occasional goal. Mid twenties when cut the second time, with decent experience in games and added some much needed grunt to a young team (Hawks)... A bit like Shane although Shane kicks more goals.

I think someone like the dees or someone even a little closer to the 'window' could do with Shane. He's not the difference between winning a premiership or not, but he still has value in the AFL i think, and i think he could be exactly the same as Guerra and what he has done with his 3rd club.