PDA

View Full Version : Telstra Dome's New Name In 2009

LostDoggy
23-10-2008, 01:13 PM
MELBOURNE'S Telstra Dome will be rebranded as Etihad Stadium from the beginning of next year's AFL season.

The new five-year deal with the Abu Dhabi-based airline coincides with the introduction of non-stop Etihad Airways flights from Melbourne.

I cant even pronounce it! "Et e had?"
Im still gunna refer to it as 'the dome' for years to come..
Even Colonial Stadium sounds better
Terrible decision AFL..even if they will pay a billion dollars ;)

Source:
http://www.afl.com.au/AFL2008/News/Article/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=69189

The Underdog
23-10-2008, 01:19 PM
I think I'll go with the ABC and just stick with Docklands

hujsh
23-10-2008, 01:24 PM
Stupid name.

I'll just call it the dome cause no one will know what Etihad stadium is

LostDoggy
23-10-2008, 01:37 PM
And apparently Vodafone arena is called Hisense Arena now :confused:

SonofScray
23-10-2008, 04:25 PM
I'll just call it Docklands I reckon. Hate the joint anyway.

LostDoggy
23-10-2008, 04:29 PM
How are you supposed to pronounce that.

LostDoggy
23-10-2008, 05:22 PM
Wow, that's awful, just awful.

I'll still call it Telstra, or the dome, or Telstra dome.

Topdog
23-10-2008, 06:00 PM
Bulldogs play their home games at the docklands anyway.

LostDoggy
23-10-2008, 07:52 PM
Garn Telstra....

Garn Etihad.

Just doesnt have the same ring to it.

firstdogonthemoon
23-10-2008, 07:56 PM
Docklands

in a few years they will name it The Bumfluff Arena for some other idiot sponsor

and then the Spongebob Field

And then the Julie Bishop Coliseum

and so on

Docklands

Topdog
23-10-2008, 09:17 PM
Docklands

in a few years they will name it The Bumfluff Arena for some other idiot sponsor

and then the Spongebob Field

And then the Julie Bishop Coliseum

and so on

Docklands

or better yet Doglands.

LostDoggy
23-10-2008, 10:43 PM
Gihad at the Etihad.

ET phone home stadium

Dry Rot
24-10-2008, 12:58 AM
I'd like to see the respectable (nad extremely rich) side of Osama's family sponsor the Dome.

"Bin Laden Dome" has a certain ring to it.

KT31
24-10-2008, 01:04 AM
I'd like to see the respectable (nad extremely rich) side of Osama's family sponsor the Dome.

"Bin Laden Dome" has a certain ring to it.

Then maybe with our family membership our kid's backpacks could come with a complementary hand grenade.

craigsahibee
24-10-2008, 11:07 AM
Fantastic opportunity for a team based at the stadium who are currently looking for a major sponsor to land a huge deal here.

LostDoggy
25-10-2008, 01:55 PM
So, let me get this straight. Most of the problems some of you have with the renaming of the place carries a hell of a lot of racist undertones and stereotyping.

That's just ridiculous. I have no problem with people not wanting it to be named after a sponsor (thus Docklands Stadium), but to say that Vodafone or Telstra somehow have a better 'ring' than Etihad is simply, straight out, ethnocentric BULLSHIT.

E-TI-HAD. Three syllables, no different from any other syllables. If we are going to carry on with our insular, hick ways, such that anything not named Bob or Jane or John is too "complex" for us, just sit back and watch the world pass us by.

This used to be a country proud of its multi-lateral roots .. somehow along the way it became acceptable or even more 'Australian' to bash anything not remotely white-sounding. Ironic, seeing as a heck of a lot or Australians have far more 'complex' sounding names than Etihad.

I have never felt more ashamed of WOOF than I do now.

hujsh
25-10-2008, 03:36 PM
Are they planning to become a force here? Because I've never heard of them and there can't be that many flights available with this airline.

GVGjr
25-10-2008, 03:39 PM
So, let me get this straight. Most of the problems some of you have with the renaming of the place carries a hell of a lot of racist undertones and stereotyping.

That's just ridiculous. I have no problem with people not wanting it to be named after a sponsor (thus Docklands Stadium), but to say that Vodafone or Telstra somehow have a better 'ring' than Etihad is simply, straight out, ethnocentric BULLSHIT.

They can name the stadium anything they like because it doesn't bother me. How many name changes has Kardinia Park had? In the back of my mind, it is still Kardinia Park even if it is now called Skilled Stadium. People just get used to a name over time and I'm sure if this is a long term commitment to the venue, the name will catch on.

Sockeye Salmon
25-10-2008, 04:02 PM

E-TI-HAD. Three syllables, no different from any other syllables. If we are going to carry on with our insular, hick ways, such that anything not named Bob or Jane or John is too "complex" for us, just sit back and watch the world pass us by.

This used to be a country proud of its multi-lateral roots .. somehow along the way it became acceptable or even more 'Australian' to bash anything not remotely white-sounding. Ironic, seeing as a heck of a lot or Australians have far more 'complex' sounding names than Etihad.

Over-reaction board.

Only two posters refered to ethnicity and one of those was making a (bad) pun on the word, the 2nd part of his post refered to a 1970's movie!

The other was referring to a person - Osama bin Laden - not a race.

Are we now so precious that we can't post comment on a mass murderer and the world's most famous terrorist?

LostDoggy
25-10-2008, 05:28 PM
I'm upset someone reckons my pun was bad.

soupman
26-10-2008, 02:59 PM
Are they planning to become a force here? Because I've never heard of them and there can't be that many flights available with this airline.

Thats the whole idea. To build awareness of their brand.

They are offering non-stop flights out of Melbourne to various locations, so are looking to become a major player in our airline network.

bornadog
26-10-2008, 04:51 PM

There were so many callers to SEN the other day that it really was racsist and shameful.

The Coon Dog
26-10-2008, 04:58 PM
I couldn't care less what it's called, I'll get used to it very quickly. Can hardly remember it being called Colonial Stadium. Personally I think it's irrelevant that an airline from Abu Dabi sponsors the stadium. Would be the same to me if it was an airline from America, England, Malaysia or Italy.

LostDoggy
26-10-2008, 06:12 PM

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with the nationality of the company, I'm half Indian (for those who have seen me, I know I don't look it) and just got very used to calling it Telstra Dome. When Colonial first changed to Telstra I was like 'that's terrible, I'm never going to call it the 'dome'' and I changed within a week.

BulldogBelle
26-10-2008, 07:16 PM
Not fussed with the name change - it is still our home ground no matter what it is called. It is just a name it will change again in a few years.

hujsh
26-10-2008, 07:32 PM
They are offering non-stop flights out of Melbourne to various locations, so are looking to become a major player in our airline network.

Ok.

Thats the whole idea. To build awareness of their brand.

Yeah i got that much but I'd never seen an Etihad plane or flight so wondered if they were just coming in.

westdog54
28-10-2008, 09:15 PM
There were so many callers to SEN the other day that it really was racsist and shameful.

That saddens and disgusts me.

That's all I'll say, as you don't want to get me started on the issue of racism, you'll never shut me up. But some of the things I hear everyday from talkback warriors and 50/50 heroes really really saddens me.

The Underdog
28-10-2008, 10:17 PM
I'm disappointed in FDOTM's vilification of bumfluff, spongebob and julie bishop...and they let him on Sunday morning tv and all.
Who's protecting the children?
Family First Stadium would be more appropriate, anything to help them finally ban rubbish like this from the internets.

The Underdog
28-10-2008, 10:18 PM
That saddens and disgusts me.

That's all I'll say, as you don't want to get me started on the issue of racism, you'll never shut me up. But some of the things I hear everyday from talkback warriors and 50/50 heroes really really saddens me.

SEN is mostly sad and disgusting

aker39
29-10-2008, 10:12 AM
Yeah i got that much but I'd never seen an Etihad plane or flight so wondered if they were just coming in.

The reason you would have never seen one of their planes, is because they currently do not fly in to Melbourne, only Sydney & Brisbane.

They start flying in to Melbourne in March 2009, hence the reason why their contract starts in March 2009.

craigsahibee
29-10-2008, 10:19 AM
SEN is mostly sad and disgusting

Agree. Have stopped listening completely.

Too many idiots.

Mofra
29-10-2008, 10:57 AM
Given the new name change, any chance the club will try and promote the venue again as "Doglands"?

Still waiting to hear "Doggie Doggie Doggie" after goals :D

Dancin' Douggy
29-10-2008, 11:33 AM
I think I'll go with the ABC and just stick with Docklands

Always have, always will. No matter who "owns" the name, It will always be at the docklands.

strebla
29-10-2008, 11:42 AM
Call it what you like as long as it has a Doug Hawkins wing I am a happy little Doggie

The Underdog
29-10-2008, 12:01 PM
Always have, always will. No matter who "owns" the name, It will always be at the docklands.

Yeah I'm no fan of the corporate naming right of stadiums (or anything else for that matter) so i've tried to stay with calling it Docklands as much as possible, although the T word slips out occasionally. It's also never been a Dome just to clarify another point.

LostDoggy
05-11-2008, 10:52 AM
What!, it's not gunna be the Western Oval anymore?. damn :mad:

What position was Etihad in our team of the century?.