PDA

View Full Version : Eade Backs Review

GVGjr
08-03-2007, 07:25 PM
Eade Backs Review (http://www.footygoss.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=32218&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0)

This from Footy Goss

Western Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade has welcomed the AFL’s review into the second tier level of football across Australia.

Eade said he would welcome a reserves competition back into the AFL ranks.

"I think it would be great for us as a club and the other clubs as well to be in control of the development of your younger players," he said

"And I think it would be great for your supporters to see those younger players, I wouldn’t imagine they would be curtain-raisers, but certainly seeing a competition to watch players that they know are going to come up in the seniors."

Dry Rot
08-03-2007, 07:29 PM
Interesting.

At the heght of our injuries, weren't we down to 24 players available? left 2 for a reserves side.

southerncross
08-03-2007, 07:41 PM
Interesting.

At the heght of our injuries, weren't we down to 24 players available? left 2 for a reserves side.
I think it was 25 or 26 and we still had the option of Davidson.

Dry Rot
08-03-2007, 08:26 PM
I think it was 25 or 26 and we still had the option of Davidson.

Point still stands - only a handful available for reserves.

Would list sizes be increased?

BulldogBelle
08-03-2007, 08:33 PM
"And I think it would be great for your supporters to see those younger players, I wouldn’t imagine they would be curtain-raisers, but certainly seeing a competition to watch players that they know are going to come up in the seniors."

That would be great to have some type of reserves competition again, I am totally for it! A lot of us remember the Reserves and U19s Dogs sides of yesteryear we saw a lot of the young ones come through the ranks. To have something back in whatever form the AFL come up with would be good.

southerncross
08-03-2007, 09:46 PM
Point still stands - only a handful available for reserves.

Would list sizes be increased?

Playing lists would be about 50 players with top ups for the reserves allowed.

bulldogtragic
08-03-2007, 10:49 PM
Back to the days whena gun western suburbs kid rose through the unders, into the ressies and into the ones like many past champs.

bring it back.

bornadog
08-03-2007, 11:10 PM
Playing lists would be about 50 players with top ups for the reserves allowed.

Financially that would be a disaster for us, unless the AFL kicked in. We can barely pay the 40 players and rookies now.

Go_Dogs
09-03-2007, 12:24 PM
List's are going to need to get bigger at any rate I feel. Given the level of injuries that we are seeing these days - particularly the amount of long term ones - means that clubs are often left high and dry with the options they have for the side.

I'd like to see the list sizes increased regardless.

alwaysadog
10-03-2007, 10:02 PM
While we have a good relationship with Werribee it's not the same as grooming your own.

I suspect the AFL will be happy to pay for expanded lists and put caveats on where the extra players come from ie development zones etc.

It makes sense to underscore the strategy plan with a further range of players who go home having been in the system and can therefore spread the word and the practice.

Given our recent forays into new recruitment directions and strategies I would think we are probably just about best placed to spot talent in new or unusual regions.

Anyone else a bit surprised by how Eade seems to have replaced Sheeds and Mickey M as the first person consulted about future directions etc when the media wants a sensible reply. I need to think about the last clause it is probably antiaxiomatic.

LostDoggy
10-03-2007, 10:17 PM
While we have a good relationship with Werribee it's not the same as grooming your own.

I suspect the AFL will be happy to pay for expanded lists and put caveats on where the extra players come from ie development zones etc.

It makes sense to underscore the strategy plan with a further range of players who go home having been in the system and can therefore spread the word and the practice.

Given our recent forays into new recruitment directions and strategies I would think we are probably just about best placed to spot talent in new or unusual regions.

Fully agree. I don't think the relationship with Werribee does too much for us. They have their own agenda which is OK but I think our younger group are actually held back by having to play games for the 2nds even if their form warrants selection.

Not sure if this move would benefit the competition or not but there are pluses and minuses.

alwaysadog
11-03-2007, 04:17 AM
Fully agree. I don't think the relationship with Werribee does too much for us. They have their own agenda which is OK but I think our younger group are actually held back by having to play games for the 2nds even if their form warrants selection.

Not sure if this move would benefit the competition or not but there are pluses and minuses.

I assume it would mean increased employment opportunities at clubs for player development officials and coaches.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
14-03-2007, 06:44 PM
Don't disagree with any of the posted positives on having the Ressies back

BUT given our still fragile financial affairs, I mean only 12 months ago we had to find a private sponsor for Tom Davidsons rookie contract...how do we as a club now fund an extra 22 or so players if the Ressies came back?
Have I missed the league somewhere saying they would chip in for it? If so then disregard my concern and hitch me up to the BRING BACK THE RESSIES wagon!!

Explanded lists via a Reserves would just give so much more scope for clubs to unearth some quality speculators in the draft and more mature aged players. Teams would be more likely I feel to takea punt on a kid with expanded lists.... but again only if the costs are somehow going to be substantially funded by the AFL itself.

LostDoggy
14-03-2007, 09:43 PM
Don't disagree with any of the posted positives on having the Ressies back

BUT given our still fragile financial affairs, I mean only 12 months ago we had to find a private sponsor for Tom Davidsons rookie contract...how do we as a club now fund an extra 22 or so players if the Ressies came back?
Have I missed the league somewhere saying they would chip in for it? If so then disregard my concern and hitch me up to the BRING BACK THE RESSIES wagon!!

Explanded lists via a Reserves would just give so much more scope for clubs to unearth some quality speculators in the draft and more mature aged players. Teams would be more likely I feel to takea punt on a kid with expanded lists.... but again only if the costs are somehow going to be substantially funded by the AFL itself.

A sobering view on the potential risks of bringing back the magoos. I guess we have no choice if the AFL goes down that path but there is as you pointed out a risk