PDA

View Full Version : Adam Cooney-triple Brownlow medalist???

Twodogs
01-11-2008, 01:33 PM
We all thought that Adam would win a 'Charlie' but I reckon Coons snuck his Brownlow this year. He was good but he wasnt the best player in the comp and he hasnt played anywhere near his potential yet-he's got a lot of improvement left in him.

My question is can he win three, I reckon he can, and if he does where will that leave him in the pantheon of VFL/AFL footballers?

LostDoggy
01-11-2008, 05:53 PM
I dont think he will..

As long as he doesnt become a Shane Woewodin im happy with his 1

LostDoggy
01-11-2008, 06:06 PM
Well he's 22. Id say going on average he has about 6-7 years left of his best football, which is still to come. I think he could definatly win another one but he would be pushing to win 3. He would need to count on the likes of Judd and Ablett to have quiet years.

Mantis
01-11-2008, 07:24 PM
Would prefer 3 time Premiership player.

LostDoggy
01-11-2008, 07:33 PM
Cooney is several years younger than both Judd and Ablett, he will be peaking when they are in the twilight years of their career. Look at Westy, favourite for charlie in 2006, retired involuntarily in 2008.

BulldogBelle
01-11-2008, 09:24 PM
Many of us made a few thousand dollars on Cooney this year.

I think that he will win again. I agree that he can win 3.

He is an exceptional player, he is prominant and he is fair.

Cooney is a likeable person, I think that the umpires will like to give him votes.

I'll be backing him again this year but we wont get 100-1 odds again.

Go_Dogs
02-11-2008, 10:06 AM
No doubt he can win another Brownlow. Only thing that might stop him is a bloke named Griffen who'll be pinching quite a few votes from him over the coming years.

Scorlibo
02-11-2008, 01:09 PM
No doubt he can win another Brownlow. Only thing that might stop him is a bloke named Griffen who'll be pinching quite a few votes from him over the coming years.

Yea good call, my money's on Griff next year, he will be at roughly the same odds as Cooney last year.

LostDoggy
02-11-2008, 05:33 PM
Lets not get carried away now. He was 'lucky' to win one, it will only get harder from here

Twodogs
02-11-2008, 06:07 PM
Lets not get carried away now. He was 'lucky' to win one, it will only get harder from here

That's my exact point.

The kids got a whole heap of improvement left in him and he was lucky to snag this years medal. From my POV that puts him ahead of the ledger because when he's truly fit and match hard he will be the gun player in the comp.

Mofra
02-11-2008, 06:26 PM
Once you win one, you are generally marked more harshly in your next few years, as per Bartel this year (arguably a better year, no where near the amount of votes). The only exception to the rule is Goodes who gets a vote for just being named in the squad.