PDA

View Full Version : Stacky

The Doctor
04-11-2008, 01:19 PM
In my mind Brennan Stack is one of the more interesting young players on our list. What do we make of him? Prior to injury he was close to getting a game around mid year.

Recently I had a decent chinwag with a club official and he informed me the raps on Stack were huge. To be honest I am yet to see what the club sees in him although the bits and pieces I have seen is a mixture of dash and flash and the outright hmmmm!

What position is he best suited to and what do our learned Willi watchers think we can expect from him in 2009?

Is he one to watch?

GVGjr
04-11-2008, 01:51 PM
Bornadog and I talked to him earlier in the year and he is a very quiet but somewhat confident youngster who loves his football.

As someone who got to a lot of games this year I thought he had a very encouraging season.
He was mainly used across half back where his pace and leap helped him. The defensive side of his game improved a fair bit and he always kept an eye on his direct opponent, rarely losing contact with them. Once he gets the ball though he loves to run and carry it and kick long. He probably struggles with consistency like most youngsters do but every now and then he pops up with an eye catching piece of play that whets the appetite.

He had that broken foot in his first season plus a finger injury that slowed him earlier in the season and then he got injured out at Box Hill from memory that really stopped him.

He has a number of other young teammates that he will be competing with for a senior spot so he has plenty still to do.

Sockeye Salmon
04-11-2008, 07:55 PM
When we spoke to Rocket pre-season he thought Stack was going to be a star. They have massive wraps on him as a Brad Johnson-style small marking forward.

LostDoggy
04-11-2008, 10:50 PM
Hope he can get a solid pre season under his belt so he can be that Harbrow of 07' or Hill of 08'.

strebla
05-11-2008, 09:15 AM
I would have thought he would take Eagletons spot on the wing.O'Keefe I think will be an interesting one next year

LostDoggy
05-11-2008, 08:31 PM
Whilst I didn't get to see Brennan playing for Williamstown this season, I did see him in a couple of pre-seaon practise matches.

At that stage, in my mind he was going to be the big improver; big leap, strong grab, pace, and elusive.
Saw him play both as a forward, and as a defender - showed promise at both ends of the ground.

Looked like he would be a great forward option as he gained experience. He may have been played on the back flank at Willy to gain defensive awareness and accountability. I still believe he will be better than Josh Hill (wouldn't mind if he is at least as good). Only time will tell.

Thanks guys for the feedback - there's still a good gain he may make it.

SonofScray
07-11-2008, 11:53 AM
Sounds like he has the tools to be a good player out on the wing for us?

I know Eagleton is much maligned but he does run hard up and down the field, would you say Stack has shown a similar work rate in that respect? There'll be a bit of a gap in that role soon IMO, I thought Farren Ray was going to step into it but it didn't work out.

Sockeye Salmon
07-11-2008, 01:28 PM
Sounds like he has the tools to be a good player out on the wing for us?

I know Eagleton is much maligned but he does run hard up and down the field, would you say Stack has shown a similar work rate in that respect? There'll be a bit of a gap in that role soon IMO, I thought Farren Ray was going to step into it but it didn't work out.

I'd say O'Keefe or Wood are more likely to fill that role than Stack. I'm not sure how big a tank Stack has.

azabob
07-11-2008, 06:35 PM
I'd say O'Keefe or Wood are more likely to fill that role than Stack. I'm not sure how big a tank Stack has.

I thought Hill would be ahead of all of those guys mentioned. He has a massive arobic capacity and to me the way he moves, marks and kicks he is just born to play finals footy. Question is does he want it enough?

Mantis
07-11-2008, 07:25 PM
I thought Hill would be ahead of all of those guys mentioned. He has a massive aerobic capacity and to me the way he moves, marks and kicks he is just born to play finals footy. Question is does he want it enough?

I would think most of us assume that Hill is already a part of the team.

Go_Dogs
08-11-2008, 11:18 AM
I would think most of us assume that Hill is already a part of the team.

Yes, he's cemented his spot and is definitely in our best 22. Can't wait to see what he can do as he gets fitter and stronger.

Desipura
08-11-2008, 11:26 AM
Yes, he's cemented his spot and is definitely in our best 22. Can't wait to see what he can do as he gets fitter and stronger.

I hope he improves further as I bought his jumper at the sale a few weeks back as an investment buy.;)

Go_Dogs
18-01-2009, 06:01 PM
Getting back to Stack, all reports of his pre-season work have been very pleasing. Seems like he is really ready to step up and play some senior footy this year.

He seemed to spend most of last year playing off half back, but has been ear marked for a role in the forward line. He could be a good option down back to provide some more run and carry, and if Higgins is moving out of the forward line, could perhaps play a role down there.

It seems pretty likely he'll get a run in the NAB games at least, while we rest a few older and injured guys, where do people think he'll play? Those who have seen in the internal games where has he been played this pre-season?

LostDoggy
18-01-2009, 10:44 PM
I've reported from the East West day, as to the expected improvements to both Stack & O'Shea.

Unfortunately, I can only base that on their improved physical builds and training (both attitude and performance). Match days will be the proof.

Would expect Stack to be a running HBF, or a FPkt, who could lead-up or take a high mark (took a few great marks in last years practice matches - from a standing start).

With O'Shea, I would expect FB (obviously), or BPkt - depending on the size of the FF. O'Shea is listed at only 192 cms. I still have concerns for his safety, with the fearless approach he has, throwing his body around - trying to go over the top of pack.

Again, we can only speculate on improvement - bring on the NAB cup.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-01-2009, 04:48 PM
Most intruiging player on our list IMHO.

By the reports on his physique/training, I'm getting pretty excited about his prospects this season. He has developed a little slower than Lynch, Hill and Harbrow but he was drafted before them, and has shown flashes of real ability. I fully expect Stack to step up this year and play some senior footy. It'd be fantastic to see Stack, Hill and Harbrow in the same side!

The NAB Cup and practice games will be very important for him. It'd be great to see him follow Hill's lead, impress, and push for selection early.

ledge
19-01-2009, 05:42 PM
I think Stack will do what Harbrow and Hill have done recently and start to play a few games with some touches of brilliance.

bornadog
19-01-2009, 06:44 PM
Most intruiging player on our lsit IMHO.

By the reports on his physique/training, I'm getting pretty excited about his prospects this season. He has developed a little slower than Lynch, Hill and Harbrow but he was drafted before them, and has shown flashes of real ability. I fully expect Stack to step up this year and play some senior footy. It'd be fantastic to see Stack, Hill and Harbrow in the same side!

The NAB Cup and practice games will be very important for him. It'd be great to see him follow Hill's lead, impress, and push for selection early.

His development has been hindered by a few nagging injuries that kept him out a few times.

Cyberdoggie
21-01-2009, 10:53 AM
I think Stack will do what Harbrow and Hill have done recently and start to play a few games with some touches of brilliance.

the touches are there, there's just not enough of them.

His first year was average, spent most of it injured or at werribee reserves. Got 2 senior games near the end and 1 of them against Port Melbourne was one he'd like to forget. Had the fumbles big time.

Second year he was much improved. I think he played the whole season at Williamstown seniors and was consistent. Had some good games and some quiet ones, flashes of brilliance but never dominated.

This year i hope he improves again and takes that next step. Just needs to take a game by the scruff of the neck. Fitness improvement is essential on last year as well.

Interesting that the dogs have had him at hbf so far without any appearances up forward.
Perhaps they are trying to instill a defensive mindset on him before unleashed his full potential up forward?