PDA

View Full Version : Why is the glass half empty

strebla
05-11-2008, 11:26 AM
We have our best list I believe since 1985.We have just played in a preliminary final and have the reighning Brownlow medalist on our list.At this stage Leaseplan is untill the end of 2008 our major sponsor.

I agree that a new major sponsor in the current climate will be difficult to obtain but I also believe the off field team we currently have is the best we have ever had and I have every confidence that they will deliver.Gone are the days of the 70s and 80s when quality players left to greener pastures.

We must as a team which includes every supporter look to next year with confidence and belief that we are no longer the beleagured Bulldogs. We must trust the the men who have done such a good job over the last 10 odd years that they will deliver a major sponser and that our list will stand up again in 2009.

Mantis
05-11-2008, 12:10 PM
The point of this thread is?

strebla
05-11-2008, 12:24 PM
The point is to try and stop the continuing oh woe are we which is happening.
What I am trying to convey is that it is time for us as Bulldogs members and supporters it is now a time for us to be positive instead of looking for negatives.
Quite a few posts lately are centering on what could go wrong instead of driving forward the message of what has gone right

Desipura
05-11-2008, 01:53 PM
Just don't expect Jerry to respond postively to this thread:D

hujsh
05-11-2008, 07:10 PM
What I am trying to convey is that it is time for us as Bulldogs members and supporters it is now a time for us to be positive instead of looking for negatives.
Quite a few posts lately are centering on what could go wrong instead of driving forward the message of what has gone right

Just don't expect Jerry to respond postively to this thread:D

I think he's made that point a few times.

I doubt the thread is aimed at Jerry

Bulldog4life
06-11-2008, 12:22 AM

I read the posts regularly although unfortunately I am a lazy poster. I am not sure if you are referring to WOOF but I would have to say though that in my opinion WOOF posters are mostly about being positive. Other forums not as much, but that is why I usually get my fix on here.:)

GVGjr
06-11-2008, 07:14 AM

I don't think there is a negative theme about the future of the clubs however, there are reasons for concern primarily around membership and sponsorship. I agree that there is plenty to be positive about on field but it shouldn't mean we just simply ignore some of the off field issues that the club is facing.

LostDoggy
06-11-2008, 08:55 AM
I will be a lot more positive when we secure our next sponsor. It's a bit hard to swallow looking at the deal Richmond sewed up with their years of success:rolleyes:

Quite frankly I went into this year not expecting a lot and was pleasantly suprised - will do the same for next year - may even try to be less expectant ;)

Mantis
06-11-2008, 09:02 AM
I will be a lot more positive when we secure our next sponsor. It's a bit hard to swallow looking at the deal Richmond sewed up with their years of success:rolleyes:

Quite frankly I went into this year not expecting a lot and was pleasantly suprised - will do the same for next year - may even try to be less expectant ;)

Which deal are you referring to?

Sockeye Salmon
06-11-2008, 10:35 AM

The Richmond deal fell over at the last minute.

Dogs 24/7
09-11-2008, 10:30 AM
I will be a lot more positive when we secure our next sponsor.

It's a huge step for us to land a great sponsor and silence all the naysayers. I hope we haven't pumped a lot of effort into potential sponsors like Sportsbet etc especially knowing the AFL's position on it. Surely there must be a company badly needing the type of exposure we can provide.

LostDoggy
09-11-2008, 02:36 PM
Did anyone see Caroline Wilson's article on Carlton? I felt quite down after reading that, they are looking to make a play for the premiership in 2010 - and with their record of success they will probably win the flag:( I have nothing but discust for a team that consists of recycled bought players and early draft picks from being 'punished' for cheating. Where is the justice in all of this?

hujsh
09-11-2008, 07:21 PM
Did anyone see Caroline Wilson's article on Carlton? I felt quite down after reading that, they are looking to make a play for the premiership in 2010 - and with their record of success they will probably win the flag:( I have nothing but discust for a team that consists of recycled bought players and early draft picks from being 'punished' for cheating. Where is the justice in all of this?

In more ways than one

LostDoggy
14-11-2008, 05:49 PM
The justice will be when we trounce them in three consecutive Grand Finals.

I lost a lot of faith in the system when a team of poonsters won the flag this year. If Carlton win it with their current crop via cheating and just rorting the system I guarantee you I won't be the only one leaving the game.

If the AFL thinks it can just keep going down this path of pandering to the 'old boys' club' without losing enough supporters to be viable it should stop and have a look at some far larger and high-profile sporting leagues around the world that have fallen quickly and sharply. The AFL hierachy has the hubris of a competition with a $700 million media deal, but with the financial climate + the rise of other, better value for money forms of entertainment and sport, keep disillusioning the fan base and it'll be lucky to have 10,000 average attendace on its terraces in 2015.

We've been through the longest boom in financial history these last 20 years, and professional sports everywhere rode the coat-tails of disposable consumer spending to success. Now that that's over (there will be no $1 billion media deal, so arrogantly mooted only months ago), the AFL will have to work a lot harder to keep us loyal, and I for one am not confident they'll succeed -- I don't know many people willing/able anymore to spend upwards of $50 a pop to watch a footy match.

azabob
14-11-2008, 06:55 PM
The justice will be when we trounce them in three consecutive Grand Finals.

I lost a lot of faith in the system when a team of poonsters won the flag this year. If Carlton win it with their current crop via cheating and just rorting the system I guarantee you I won't be the only one leaving the game.

If the AFL thinks it can just keep going down this path of pandering to the 'old boys' club' without losing enough supporters to be viable it should stop and have a look at some far larger and high-profile sporting leagues around the world that have fallen quickly and sharply. The AFL hierachy has the hubris of a competition with a $700 million media deal, but with the financial climate + the rise of other, better value for money forms of entertainment and sport, keep disillusioning the fan base and it'll be lucky to have 10,000 average attendace on its terraces in 2015.

We've been through the longest boom in financial history these last 20 years, and professional sports everywhere rode the coat-tails of disposable consumer spending to success. Now that that's over (there will be no $1 billion media deal, so arrogantly mooted only months ago), the AFL will have to work a lot harder to keep us loyal, and I for one am not confident they'll succeed -- I don't know many people willing/able anymore to spend upwards of $50 a pop to watch a footy match.

I would think Hawthorn winning this year proves that the system works. So im not sure where you are coming from by making that comment. Reality is Carlton cheated, got caught and got penalised. Again they have drafted well and who say's they will win a GF with this batch of players? Ask St.Kilda about numerous top ten picks it didnt get them one.

hujsh
14-11-2008, 07:06 PM
I would think Hawthorn winning this year proves that the system works. So im not sure where you are coming from by making that comment. Reality is Carlton cheated, got caught and got penalised. Again they have drafted well and who say's they will win a GF with this batch of players? Ask St.Kilda about numerous top ten picks it didnt get them one.

That tanking works?

azabob
14-11-2008, 07:10 PM
That tanking works?

Tanking? Call it what you will, reality is Hawthorn moved on the players who didn't have the skill, desire or ability to win a GF, I wish our club took such a hard line on our players. No point being jealous of Hawthorn for what they achived, they had a plan and it worked.

hujsh
14-11-2008, 07:16 PM
Tanking? Call it what you will, reality is Hawthorn moved on the players who didn't have the skill, desire or ability to win a GF, I wish our club took such a hard line on our players. No point being jealous of Hawthorn for what they achived, they had a plan and it worked.

Could our club afford to plan 2-3 years of failure.

azabob
14-11-2008, 07:38 PM
Could our club afford to plan 2-3 years of failure.

Why plan to fail when we do that well enough? lol
I wouldn't say we'd been successful. But having said that I think we are on the right track now. I should re phase my comment to say in the past we have had too many passengers and the match commitee / coach have not made the tough decisions. But Eade is doing that such as moving McMahon, Power, Ray etc.

hujsh
14-11-2008, 11:44 PM
I wouldn't say we'd been successful. But having said that I think we are on the right track now. I should re phase my comment to say in the past we have had too many passengers and the match commitee / coach have not made the tough decisions. But Eade is doing that such as moving McMahon, Power, Ray etc.

I agree with that.

If we were a mediocre team though, we would still try to win as many games as possible, not trade our players for picks.

comrade
16-11-2008, 11:58 AM
Here's a question:

Would you rather pre-season hype ala 2007 (top 2 premiership favourites), or 2008 (no hopers)?

It feels that this year, we're somewhere in the middle. People got burnt when we played so badly in '07 so they don't want to predict big things this year, but they also saw this year that we have the list to compete with the best in the competition.

I say let the pundits hype up Carlton and Richmond and let us build something special on our own terms. We've got a gun midfield, a very good backline and with some luck (and depending on player development) we'll have a better balanced forward line (Grant playing some games to at least give us a target).

Our list is on an upward curve. Now we just need a bloody sponsor.

LostDoggy
16-11-2008, 12:04 PM

I agree with this, I think having to ask Westy retire was the right decision, but a very tough ask of any coach, but Eade did it, and it was extremely unfortunate that Doug Hawkins let the cat out of the bag early and created that media whoha.

I read somewhere awhile ago, that less successful teams seem to have players that achieve the 300 game status more so than successful teams. I don't know whether there is any truth in that, but then you look at Grant, Johno, Westy and Smithy all achieving 300 games over the past five years, you have to wonder.

Sockeye Salmon
16-11-2008, 01:36 PM
I agree with this, I think having to ask Westy retire was the right decision, but a very tough ask of any coach, but Eade did it, and it was extremely unfortunate that Doug Hawkins let the cat out of the bag early and created that media whoha.

I read somewhere awhile ago, that less successful teams seem to have players that achieve the 300 game status more so than successful teams. I don't know whether there is any truth in that, but then you look at Grant, Johno, Westy and Smithy all achieving 300 games over the past five years, you have to wonder.

And Hawthorn won about 20 premierships with Michael Tuck, Leigh Matthews, Don Scott, Kelvin Moore and Chris Langford all playing 300 games. Crawford is now a 300-game premiership player as well.

Ayres, Dunstall, Knights and Platten all passed 250.