PDA

View Full Version : Training with the Dogs

The Doctor
09-11-2008, 10:30 AM
Does anyone know if any delisted player/s or Willi boys are having a pre-season run with us in the hope of getting drafted?

Dogs 24/7
09-11-2008, 10:35 AM
Does anyone know if any delisted player/s or Willi boys are having a pre-season run with us in the hope of getting drafted?
Just beat me to it :D I'm sorry that I can't be of help but I suppose the real question is with the list so settled there is probably no chance that we can take a recycled guy unless they are looking to a rookie spot.
You would expect that there is a couple of Williamstown guys having a run with us. Perhaps some of the regular watchers could nominate some likely candidates. Cameron Lockwood might be one.

Official training starts next week doesn't it?

The Underdog
10-11-2008, 04:46 PM
Only player on the official permission to train list with us is Liam Picken from Willi.

Other interesting ones - Gavin Hughes is training with Port, Bentley from Port is at Carlton, Cockshell and Deluca from Port are at Richmond as is Gourdis and Fortunato Caruso (you gotta love his persistence). Moody from Brisbane is at Freo and Begley from the Lions at Collingwood with the rest of the Irish crew.

Full list here-
http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=69635

The Bulldogs Bite
10-11-2008, 05:19 PM
Surprised Hislop was delisted from Essendon. Former Top 20 pick from only a couple of years ago wasn't he? The delisting would seem a little premature based upon how much time the younger types are usually given. Admittedly, from what I did see of him, he looked a little over-rawed by AFL football but I still found it a little odd.

The Underdog
10-11-2008, 05:34 PM
Surprised Hislop was delisted from Essendon. Former Top 20 pick from only a couple of years ago wasn't he? The delisting would seem a little premature based upon how much time the younger types are usually given. Admittedly, from what I did see of him, he looked a little over-rawed by AFL football but I still found it a little odd.

Apparently his dedication to the disciplined life of an AFL footballer was a little lacking, which didn't help him.

dogman
10-11-2008, 06:02 PM
Does anyone know when training officially starts? and is it open to the public yet.

GVGjr
10-11-2008, 06:31 PM
Picken is a good footballer and I think he was turning 22 this year.

GVGjr
10-11-2008, 06:34 PM
Does anyone know when training officially starts? and is it open to the public yet

I think if you phoned the club and asked, they would probably say not yet. If you just rocked up there you would have a better chance. I think they are heading off to the US soon which probably makes things even more unclear. I'll try and find out.

Desipura
10-11-2008, 08:16 PM
I think if you phoned the club and asked, they would probably say not yet. If you just rocked up there you would have a better chance. I think they are heading off to the US soon which probably makes things even more unclear. I'll try and find out.

Channel 10 had a snippet with Griffen winning the time trial which was some 56 seconds behind Judd.

ledge
10-11-2008, 08:24 PM
5 to 6 seconds or 56 seconds, 56 seconds seems an awful lot, how far was it over and were they the exact same trials?

comrade
10-11-2008, 08:28 PM
Channel 10 had a snippet with Griffen winning the time trial which was some 56 seconds behind Judd.

No way would it be 56 seconds if it was the same distance. Good to hear Griff is roaring to go though, juicy juicy Brownlow odds here I come.

Mofra
10-11-2008, 08:31 PM
5 to 6 seconds or 56 seconds, 56 seconds seems an awful lot, how far was it over and were they the exact same trials?
56 seconds, a lap of Princes Park (about 3.2 km from memory). Higgins was neck & neck with him, at a guess Andrew Walker would have been ahead of both of them as well.
As far as I'm concerned, anything under 13 minutes is absolutely flying :o

It is worth remembering we would be a few weeks behind Carlton in the "off season" programs set anyway, as there is a little yearly event called "finals" Carlton have "chosen not to participate in"

Big Will
10-11-2008, 08:42 PM

Do you know if Cross ran? He wins the time trial every year...:confused:

mighty_west
10-11-2008, 09:21 PM
Picken is a good footballer and I think he was turning 22 this year.

Do you think Picken is a realistic chance of being rookied by the club? I'm not too sure if any of the Williamstown listed players are up to AFL level.

GVGjr
10-11-2008, 09:40 PM
Do you think Picken is a realistic chance of being rookied by the club? I'm not too sure if any of the Williamstown listed players are up to AFL level.

I think he is a touch old for the ideal rookie and at just 183cm he doesn't really cover the positions we need. I like his style though and he does really put in. Lockwood can play but like Stretton he is a touch small. You are probably right that there isn't many players at Williamstown that would slot into an AFL side.

Bulldog Revolution
10-11-2008, 10:21 PM
56 seconds, a lap of Princes Park (about 3.2 km from memory). Higgins was neck & neck with him, at a guess Andrew Walker would have been ahead of both of them as well.
As far as I'm concerned, anything under 13 minutes is absolutely flying :o

It is worth remembering we would be a few weeks behind Carlton in the "off season" programs set anyway, as there is a little yearly event called "finals" Carlton have "chosen not to participate in"

That and Judd is one of the best runners the AFL has ever seen

hujsh
10-11-2008, 11:17 PM
Why are we running the time trials with Carlton?

The Bulldogs Bite
11-11-2008, 12:05 AM
Why are we running the time trials with Carlton?

We aren't, they were just done on the same day and obviously at different times. I think another club was there at some point too I read somewhere?

Good to hear Griffen and Higgins both running well.

Mofra
11-11-2008, 08:49 AM
We aren't, they were just done on the same day and obviously at different times. I think another club was there at some point too I read somewhere?

Good to hear Griffen and Higgins both running well.
St Kilda too, no details on their results.
Higgins will be an interesting one - we haven't really seen a fit, uninjured Higgins in the side as yet except for his first handful of games. He is a real talent that will boost our midfield/forward stocks no end. Big boy too for his height.

Desipura
11-11-2008, 09:51 AM
This time trial was for the younger group. The more experienced players come back next week. Cross's time would be very close to Judd's if not better.

Go_Dogs
11-11-2008, 03:07 PM
I'm surprised Ryan Williams hasn't been invited to train with any clubs yet. I get the feeling he could be a pretty good value rookie pick up.

Sockeye Salmon
11-11-2008, 03:32 PM
St Kilda too, no details on their results.
Higgins will be an interesting one - we haven't really seen a fit, uninjured Higgins in the side as yet except for his first handful of games. He is a real talent that will boost our midfield/forward stocks no end. Big boy too for his height.

North was there, too.

Sockeye Salmon
11-11-2008, 03:33 PM
Where's he from?

Is he the basketballer from Tassie who trained with us last year?

Go_Dogs
11-11-2008, 06:25 PM
Is he the basketballer from Tassie who trained with us last year?

No. Was Power listed and played in Centrals premiership side a month and a half ago. Running half back/midfield type.