PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Draft Day Rumours

GVGjr
09-11-2008, 12:52 PM
I thought it might be interesting to capture all the draft day rumours and articles that are circulating.

This one focuses on Steve Hill and a few others.

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,24622660-5005401,00.html

THE Essendon speed machine is poised to go up another gear next season with the likely addition of WA draft bolter Stephen Hill.
The Bombers, already with seven West Australians on their list, look set to snare the athletic, whippy midfielder with the fifth pick in the AFL National Draft in three weeks' time.

It is shaping up as another draft bonanza for the state's football programs, with five WA teenagers likely to be taken inside the first round, equalling last year's impressive number.

Melbourne has settled on prized Victorian centre-half-forward Jack Watts with the first selection, leaving dynamic ruckman Nick Naitanui to go to West Coast at pick two and Subiaco on-baller Daniel Rich to Fremantle at three.

Hill, a classy left-footer capable of playing half-back or on a wing, fits the Bombers' plan to nurture quick and exciting ball-carriers.

The West Perth junior was a standout at the national under-18 championships and surged up the draft rankings with some lightning times at last month's draft camp.

Essendon recruiting manager Adrian Dodoro rates Hill highly, but said the Bombers' focus was not restricted to taking only West Aussies.

``We've had great success with the West Australian boys in the last few years, but that doesn't mean we're definitely going to draft another one from there this year,'' Dodoro said.

``We'll just take who we think is the best available player.

``It's all still very speculative at the moment, but with a top-five pick we're confident we'll get another quality young player.''

Swan Districts livewire Chris Yarran seems bound for Brisbane, at pick seven, to play at the feet of imposing tall forward combination Jonathan Brown and Daniel Bradshaw.

The Lions are desperate to bolster their roving forward stocks and have targeted Yarran to pose a greater threat at ground level next season.

Tom Swift, the Claremont utility coming off consecutive knee injuries, won't slip past Geelong, with the 15th selection of the first round.

LostDoggy
09-11-2008, 01:46 PM
Rumour in the West 2 weeks ago that Freo will take Hill pick 3.

GVGjr
09-11-2008, 01:55 PM
Rumour in the West 2 weeks ago that Freo will take Hill pick 3.

Seems unlikely unless West Coast take Rich. At the moment I think Naitanui would be odds on to go to West Coast.

mjp
09-11-2008, 02:10 PM
My rumours are pretty straight forward.

1/.Port will take Michael Hurley at pick 4.
2/.Bryce Carroll from the Western Jets will be drafted - being looked at by 6 clubs. Attended draft camp and tested well, but for some reason I have not seen his name in a single phantom draft.
3/.Liam Anthony (East Fremantle) will be picked up as a late pick. 21 year old, goal-kicking mid. Similar story to Dalziel I suppose.

As for the Hill stuff, to me this shouldn't be a surprise. I have him rated as the second best from WA (behind Rich) which I posted here a couple of months back...it is very hard to look past Natanui though because he does have Franklin type potential.

Sockeye Salmon
09-11-2008, 02:26 PM
My rumours are pretty straight forward.

2/.Bryce Carroll from the Western Jets will be drafted - being looked at by 6 clubs. Attended draft camp and tested well, but for some reason I have not seen his name in a single phantom draft.
3/.Liam Anthony (East Fremantle) will be picked up as a late pick. 21 year old, goal-kicking mid. Similar story to Dalziel I suppose.

As for the Hill stuff, to me this shouldn't be a surprise. I have him rated as the second best from WA (behind Rich) which I posted here a couple of months back...it is very hard to look past Natanui though because he does have Franklin type potential.

I was trying to get you to pick Hill with pick 3 in our phantom draft to try to shake things up a bit.

GVGjr
09-11-2008, 02:59 PM

Anthony has been mentioned here a few times. Once again I don't mind the idea of a more mature aged recruit mind you I'd be confident to say he isn't on our radar.

LostDoggy
09-11-2008, 03:37 PM
I heard Jack Watts and Daniel Rich are going to be overlooked and slip to picks 31 onwards ;)

LostDoggy
09-11-2008, 03:39 PM
Seems unlikely unless West Coast take Rich. At the moment I think Naitanui would be odds on to go to West Coast.

According to the story they would overlook Rich and take Hill. They need pace and class in the midfield.

The Underdog
09-11-2008, 03:57 PM
According to the story they would overlook Rich and take Hill. They need pace and class in the midfield.

Would make things interesting. If Port stayed with a tall, Rich could slip to Essendon at 5. Noone would have expected that. Would be a big call for Port.

mjp
09-11-2008, 04:15 PM
I was trying to get you to pick Hill with pick 3 in our phantom draft to try to shake things up a bit.

Couldn't do it Jim. As a card carrying member of the 'Don't Draft Franklin' club from a few years ago, I simply dont want to look like a goose if Natanue does the same thing.

Jerry's comment about Freo overlooking Rich to take Hill is an interesting one...I honestly have no idea how good Rich could end up being (mostly watched him play in a absolutely dominant side) but his ball use is exceptional. Hill is just one of those guys who always seem to have time with the footy, left footer...a great player to watch. Rich seems like the safer pick but I could understand them going for the West Perth kid...they would want to be ready to cop an absolute barrage of criticism in 2009 because Rich will play senior footy in 2009 - whereas Hill might play senior footy if he goes to a club that is struggling and trying to blood youngsters.

Go_Dogs
10-11-2008, 12:23 PM
[QUOTE=mjp;62617]My rumours are pretty straight forward.

QUOTE]

Very interesting, considering the same has been said about Vickery.

Topdog
10-11-2008, 01:58 PM

Lets be honest here, they need a lot of things.

Mofra
18-11-2008, 11:28 AM
From another unnamed football site, talking about the Sandringham Mitch Brown:

The kid goes to school with my little brother. Strong Marking Forward, Great Kick. Nice kid too. Apparently he has heard from 3-4 clubs, the doggies being one of them.

Certainly not bluffing about looking at young tall talent it seems.

GVGjr
18-11-2008, 11:46 AM
The ones I am hearing revolve around the top order of the draft.

1 - Watts
2 - Natanuai
3 - Hill
4 - Rich
5 - Hartlett
6 - Trengove
7 - Yarran
8 - Vickery (bargain)
9 - Ziebell
10 - McKernan

Go_Dogs
18-11-2008, 12:07 PM
The ones I am hearing revolve around the top order of the draft.

1 - Watts
2 - Natanuai
3 - Hill
4 - Rich
5 - Hartlett
6 - Trengove
7 - Yarran
8 - Vickery (bargain)
9 - Ziebell
10 - McKernan

Pretty interesting top 10 here - with Hurley missing out, Port managing to get Rich at 4, and the Crows taking McKernan at 10.

I for one cannot wait for this draft!

Scorlibo
18-11-2008, 01:05 PM
From another unnamed football site, talking about the Sandringham Mitch Brown:

Certainly not bluffing about looking at young tall talent it seems.

On the same thread there was a statement made saying that North and West Coast were both interested in taking him with picks 18, 20 and 27.

Scorlibo
18-11-2008, 01:16 PM
My "rumours":

Melbourne to take Watts
West Coast to take Naitanui
Freo to opt for Hill over Rich
Port to take Hurley - but this is the most hard to pick pick, it will indeed shape the rest of the 1st round.
Essendon are keen on Hartlett if available or Hurley
Carlton like Yarran, Hurley.
Brissy to take a midfielder.
Richmond like Vickery and Hartlett
North to take a mid, liking Ziebell and Swift.
Adelaide to go for a tall utility in the form of either McKernan or Trengove.
Collingwood like Swift and Beams for their midfield.
Sydney I have no idea, they usually go for who they judge as best available.
St Kilda looking for pace.
Bulldogs spoken to Mitch Brown, were keen on Rhys O'Keefe earlier in the year.
Geelong are keen on Swift.
Hawthorn looking for a key defender.

Scorlibo
18-11-2008, 01:27 PM
Sidebottom: If he doesn't go to North at 9 he will slide to the second round.

Mitch Brown: Unless Sidebottom slides all the way to North's second pick there is no way we are going to get him, he has been told by the Roos that if still available at their second pick they will take him.

Dayne Beams: Firming as pick 11 over Swift.

Aaron Cornelius: Should be around at our pick.

Michael Hurley: If available at 6, Carlton will take him.

Mitch Banner: Good chance of not being drafted.

hujsh
18-11-2008, 02:00 PM
Mitch Banner: Good chance of not being drafted.

Would be a good rookie if the money's there

The Bulldogs Bite
18-11-2008, 03:04 PM
Would be a good rookie if the money's there

Agreed.

This will be an interesting draft, a lot of 'unknown' about it and seemingly a lot of serious quality. It'll be interesting to see who actually slides and who surprises. Makes for an enjoyable draft, can't wait to see who's left at Picks 31 & 31 and who we opt for.

Happy Days
18-11-2008, 03:50 PM
Aaron Cornelius: Should be around at our pick.

Would take that without batting an eyelid.

Scorlibo
18-11-2008, 07:23 PM
We are looking at Aaron Elari a small midfielder/forward from WA for a rookie spot.

Sockeye Salmon
19-11-2008, 12:43 AM
We are looking at Aaron Elari a small midfielder/forward from WA for a rookie spot.

Bet you we're not.

He's not eligible for the rookie list - DOB 24/4/91

Scorlibo
19-11-2008, 02:13 AM
Bet you we're not.

He's not eligible for the rookie list - DOB 24/4/91

Hmm well picked up Sockeye, we're interested in him nevertheless.

Sockeye Salmon
19-11-2008, 09:12 AM
Hmm well picked up Sockeye, we're interested in him nevertheless.

Does anyone think Clayton would be scared to pull the trigger on him @ 31?

I don't.

Scorlibo
19-11-2008, 09:28 AM
Does anyone think Clayton would be scared to pull the trigger on him @ 31?

I don't.

I'm scared. :o Clayton won't be.

Go_Dogs
19-11-2008, 09:47 AM
Anyone offer up some info on him? I don't recall seeing his name anywhere.

Sockeye Salmon
19-11-2008, 12:37 PM
Anyone offer up some info on him? I don't recall seeing his name anywhere.

Small, slight but quick forward pocket who actually only managed 7 goals this year for Perth colts

Mantis
19-11-2008, 12:42 PM
Small, slight but quick forward pocket.

Isn't this the role that Lynch & Harbrow look like filling?

I know that they will spend time thru the midfield, but we don't really need to draft another FP do we?

Go_Dogs
19-11-2008, 12:58 PM
Isn't this the role that Lynch & Harbrow look like filling?

I know that they will spend time thru the midfield, but we don't really need to draft another FP do we?

I'd hope not. We do stand to lose Johnno, Welsh and Aker from the forward group over the next season or so, but we do have the guys you mentioned as well as Stack who could play the small marking forward role, as well as O'Keefe who seems he could play a small forward role if not wing.

Perhaps by talking him up, we'll force someone else to call his name early, and the player we really want will last to us? Who knows what sort of mind games these recruiters are playing.

Sockeye Salmon
19-11-2008, 01:13 PM
Am I right in thinking that GC can sign any undrafted 17yos or is that next year?

I'm sure Clayton would be all over him for GC.

Go_Dogs
20-11-2008, 05:44 PM
Rumors we are keen on Post continue to circulate.

GVGjr
20-11-2008, 06:29 PM
Rumors we are keen on Post continue to circulate.

Not that I would mind that but this sounds more like some people are putting a few factors together rather than anything concrete.
ie. He is a local boy, we have already said that we will target height, etc etc,

I think we would be paying slightly over the odds to get him with either of our picks but he is the type of player we should be looking at.

LostDoggy
20-11-2008, 09:14 PM
My mail is Post too. :) Sorry couldn't help myself

lemmon
20-11-2008, 10:31 PM
Im not a massive fan of Post, played well in the finals and by all accounts tested well at screening but pick 32 would be overpriced IMO. Wasn't fantastic in the H&A and i think their could be better options around.

mjp
21-11-2008, 12:30 AM
Im not a massive fan of Post, played well in the finals and by all accounts tested well at screening but pick 32 would be overpriced IMO. Wasn't fantastic in the H&A and i think their could be better options around.

Pretty sure the club B&F result wasn't completely down to a single finals game....

Desipura
21-11-2008, 09:07 AM
Pretty sure the club B&F result wasn't completely down to a single finals game....
What is his field kicking like? From the highlights he can certainly take a mark and has very good acceleration speed.