PDA

View Full Version : New bite for Dogs' flag tilt

NoseBleed
11-11-2008, 01:18 AM
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24632525-11088,00.html

Jon Ralph
November 11, 2008 12:00am
THE Western Bulldogs yesterday kick-started their pre-season with heightened expectation, a new fitness coach, and a bolstered development structure.

The young Bulldogs completed a 3.2km time-trial around Princes Park, joining North Melbourne and the Blues in using the Carlton venue for pre-season training.

Star midfielder Ryan Griffen just beat home Shaun Higgins, although their time was significantly slower than Carlton captain Chris Judd several hours before.

The older players will return next week to work on their fitness base before the club's high altitude camp in Arizona from November 28 to December 8.

Former Australian triathlon coach Bill Davoren, fresh from guiding Emma Snowsill to Olympic gold in Beijing, took his first public session with the club.

The Bulldogs have already had two testing sessions, with some players shaving 30-40sec off best times around the Princes Park circuit.

Several players have had post-season surgery, but the injury list is small.

Robert Murphy is several weeks behind after knee surgery, while Tom Williams will have his pre-season delayed after shoulder surgery.

Brian Lake had minor hip surgery, but is not far behind the main group, while Daniel Giansiracusa is in a brace after dislocating his elbow.

Yesterday the club announced the appointment of former North Ballarat Rebels coach Chris Maple as its development coach.

He will join Williamstown coach and development manager Brad Gotch in helping the first-to-third year players, as AFL clubs continue to focus on fast-tracking their young players.

Maple will replace Simon Dalrymple, who has moved into the Dogs' football operations department.

While the Dogs have had a late start because of their preliminary final appearance, a host of players have been into the club early to start their pre-season campaigns.

Once unable to afford the support structure that rivals such as Collingwood have, Maple's appointment and the camp in Arizona show the Dogs are now able to compete with the heavy hitters.

Maple has coached the Rebels for the past two years, as well as working as a physical education teacher at Ballarat High School.

"We are delighted to have him on board and look forward to having him continue the work we started this year with the expansion of our development program," Dogs football manager James Fantasia said.

Go_Dogs
11-11-2008, 01:51 PM
We'll be one of the fittest cardio vasc. teams going around. Play on at all costs and run sides off their feet. I expect big last quarters this year.

Well, the fact that Judd an Co. recorded vastly faster times than our lads isn't a good starting point, although I'm happy that Griff and Higgins were first across the line.

Sockeye Salmon
11-11-2008, 02:30 PM
Well, the fact that Judd an Co. recorded vastly faster times than our lads isn't a good starting point, although I'm happy that Griff and Higgins were first across the line.

Cross either didn't run or tripped over his shoelaces.

Higgins beat Cross home? I don't think so, Tim!

hujsh
11-11-2008, 04:31 PM
Cross either didn't run or tripped over his shoelaces.

Higgins beat Cross home? I don't think so, Tim!

Only young dogs ran. Judd smashed all the Carlton players while injured last year so don't worry about that.

Really hoping Williams isn't out too long. Don't want him to miss another pre-season.

Mantis
11-11-2008, 08:08 PM
Only young dogs ran. Judd smashed all the Carlton players while injured last year so don't worry about that.

Really hoping Williams isn't out too long. Don't want him to miss another pre-season.

So why have I seen photo's and footage of Hudson running?

Sockeye Salmon
11-11-2008, 08:21 PM

I can think of two reasons.

1) Lazy journos used file footage from last year because they couldn't be buggered actually going out there.

2) Hudson's been on the drink again and Rocket's made him do some extra work.

Mantis
11-11-2008, 09:11 PM

1) Lazy journos used file footage from last year because they couldn't be buggered actually going out there.

Well he was definitely there so we can all make up our own mind.

hujsh
11-11-2008, 10:30 PM

I'm just going by the article and what someone said in another thread.

Mantis
15-11-2008, 08:50 AM

Word I heard was that Hudson wanted to start back a week early. He felt his fitness dropped away too dramatically last year which affected his form and he wants to give himself a better base for the upcoming season.

Stevo
15-11-2008, 08:53 AM
Word I heard was that Hudson wanted to start back a week early. He felt his fitness dropped away too dramatically last year which affected his form and he wants to give himself a better base for the upcoming season.

Sounds about right but he is someone who struggles with his fitness a lot.

Mantis
15-11-2008, 09:00 AM
Sounds about right but he is someone who struggles with his fitness a lot.

Main thing I heard was that he was surprised how much he needed to improve his fitness to fit into the role Eade had in mind for him. He felt his fitness was better than when he was with the Crows, but still not at the level required to play an enhanced on-field role with us.

Mofra
15-11-2008, 10:53 AM
Main thing I heard was that he was surprised how much he needed to improve his fitness to fit into the role Eade had in mind for him. He felt his fitness was better than when he was with the Crows, but still not at the level required to play an enhanced on-field role with us.
His role was very much restricted with the Crows - Eade's gameplan is far less restrictive than that required to be a Crowbot.

MrMahatma
17-11-2008, 03:53 AM
His role was very much restricted with the Crows - Eade's gameplan is far less restrictive than that required to be a Crowbot.
Yeah, wasn't he essentially a stoppage player, so no need to run to position or play defensively once the ball was out of his immediate area or not in a stoppage scenario.

Good to see he's keen to continue to improve.

Go_Dogs
17-11-2008, 08:39 AM
Yeah, wasn't he essentially a stoppage player, so no need to run to position or play defensively once the ball was out of his immediate area or not in a stoppage scenario.

Good to see he's keen to continue to improve.

We need him to, and in particular with the new ruck rules he'll need to really build up his fitness to play out even 60% game time.

LostDoggy
17-11-2008, 03:34 PM

Carlton have been training for 4 weeks already tho.
Judd holds that afl record around the princess park track.

Strength is what we need a bit more of... Now is the best time to put on some serious size.

Sockeye Salmon
17-11-2008, 04:31 PM
Carlton have been training for 4 weeks already tho.
Judd holds that afl record around the princess park track.

Strength is what we need a bit more of... Now is the best time to put on some serious size.

That Judd holds the record is an absolute myth. He doesn't even hold Carlton's record, Craig Bradley does.

Crossy matched Judds time on the weekend.

strebla
17-11-2008, 04:39 PM
That Judd holds the record is an absolute myth. He doesn't even hold Carlton's record, Craig Bradley does.

It is interesting to kisten to carlton supporters dribble next they will tell us judd walks on water

Desipura
18-11-2008, 09:05 AM

I though I read somewhere that Adrian Gleeson has the record at Carlton which was some 40 seconds quicker than Judds.

alwaysadog
30-11-2008, 10:17 PM
Forget all the Blue Baggles dribble, the only interesting point is about Hudson. Last season he gave us a great kick start but was often seen on the bench or the boundary line short of breath suggesting he was struggling and not likely to run out the season, as seemed to be the case.
There are two questions; does he want to do the work necessarey to get fitter, and does he have the capacity to do so?

Anyone have any hard evidence to support a positive answer to either query?

Sockeye Salmon
30-11-2008, 10:25 PM
Forget all the Blue Baggles dribble, the only interesting point is about Hudson. Last season he gave us a great kick start but was often seen on the bench or the boundary line short of breath suggesting he was struggling and not likely to run out the season, as seemed to be the case.
There are two questions; does he want to do the work necessarey to get fitter, and does he have the capacity to do so?

Anyone have any hard evidence to support a positive answer to either query?

He asked if he could start pre-season training early with the young blokes to build up his fitness base.

Go_Dogs
01-12-2008, 05:21 PM
He asked if he could start pre-season training early with the young blokes to build up his fitness base.

And he trained (although perhaps begrudgingly) under the Crows regime for a few years. I'm sure he was pushed quite hard down there.