PDA

View Full Version : James Hird on the couch

The Coon Dog
11-11-2008, 07:38 AM
James Hird on the couch (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24632905-19742,00.html)

Mark Stevens - November 11, 2008

JAMES Hird has decided to settle for life on the couch.

Six weeks after Hird made headlines for the playing comeback that wasn't, the Herald Sun can confirm the Essendon legend is returning to the screen.

Hird, a one-time regular on Channel 9's Footy Show, will be the replacement for Robert Walls on Fox Sports' On The Couch next season.

It will be the first change to the line-up since the program started on the network seven years ago.

Gerard Healy will remain host, with Herald Sun chief football writer Mike Sheahan also staying on board.

Fox Sports has also snared Hird to beef up its commentary team.

Hird will offer special comments at one game each weekend. He looms as a likely candidate to play a leading role in the team for Melbourne twilight games.

The Herald Sun last month revealed Walls had quit On The Couch to join a new Monday night AFL program on Channel 10's new high-definition sports channel.

Leigh Matthews loomed as the obvious choice to replace Walls, but he appears likely to join Channel 7 on a permanent basis next season.

Matthews stepped into a Seven special comments role with ease during the finals.

Despite the departure of Walls, On The Couch is likely to stick to its successful formula, with any changes to the set and format unlikely.

Fox Sports head of AFL Rod Law confirmed last night that Hird had signed on, predicting the recruit would attract viewers keen to see how he changed the chemistry.

"We think it's fantastic. Everyone will be intrigued to see how he goes," Law said.

Award-winning commentator Brian Taylor's role at Fox Sports has been extended to involve Sunday twilight matches.

Twodogs
11-11-2008, 02:10 PM
Theres a suprise. Another self pontificating, sanctimonious Essendon bastard to lecture us about how evil we all are...

Stick him in a room with Watson and all the rest I reckon.

Scraggers
11-11-2008, 04:14 PM
Theres a suprise. Another self pontificating, sanctimonious Essendon bastard to lecture us about how evil we all are...

I agree ... I think ... Sounds like you swallowed a dictionary though ;)

bornadog
11-11-2008, 08:21 PM

Exactly what I was thinking. Hird is so up himself its not funny.

Sockeye Salmon
11-11-2008, 09:18 PM
Exactly what I was thinking. Hird is so up himself its not funny.

At least we'll get to hear how wonderful he was all over again.

Twodogs
12-11-2008, 11:32 AM
I agree ... I think ... Sounds like you swallowed a dictionary though ;)

Well I think 'pontificating' is best described as what the pope did a lot of back in the day-lecturing, sermonising, telling us all we are sinful and will all go to hell when judgement day comes and sanctimonius means that "I'm better than you, because I'm a superior type of person.

I think that pretty much sums up James Hird, Tim Watson and most of the Essendon footy club.