PDA

View Full Version : No money left for any further rookies!

The Coon Dog
14-11-2008, 03:50 PM
I see that Pidgog has put up a new thread on BF stating that we might not have any money left to recruit any further rookies this year.

Bit of a worry.

mighty_west
14-11-2008, 04:00 PM
I see that Pidgog has put up a new thread on BF stating that we might not have any money left to recruit any further rookies this year.

Bit of a worry.

Thats the Footscray way unfortunatly TCD, always treading water to stay afloat!

Mofra
14-11-2008, 04:19 PM
Doesn't the AFL pay for rookies as of last year, or do the funds only cover 4 spots on the rookie list?

chef
14-11-2008, 06:04 PM
Instead of wasting money(supporters donation i know) in Fiji would'nt it have been better spent towards a rookie who can actually play aussie rules?

GVGjr
14-11-2008, 06:09 PM
Instead of wasting money(supporters donation i know) in Fiji would'nt it have been better spent towards a rookie who can actually play aussie rules?

Welcome aboard Chef. I'm not sure the two issues are linked and it could be that we are at the top end of the salary cap and just can't squeeze another one in.

I tend to think that the Fiji experiment won't amount to much but nothing ventured nothing gained I suppose.

Dry Rot
14-11-2008, 06:10 PM

To be fair, I dunno the club would have foreseen this when the Fiji project got underway. Furthermore, IIRC a Dogs fan specifically funded Fiji.

Sockeye Salmon
14-11-2008, 06:24 PM
I've heard this too, from a fairly decent source.

We intend to keep the three rookies we've already got but won't be filling the other two spots we've got vacant unless we can find another benefactor prepared to pony up.

GVGjr
14-11-2008, 06:28 PM
I've heard this too, from a fairly decent source.

We intend to keep the three rookies we've already got but won't be filling the other two spots we've got vacant unless we can find another benefactor prepared to pony up.

Mulligan, Shaw and White were all maintained and now adding Ogle does this mean we are potentially missing just one player?
It could be a ploy to get someone to dig a bit deeper but really I don't think more young rookies will make that much difference to us.

Sockeye Salmon
14-11-2008, 06:30 PM
Mulligan, Shaw and White were all maintained and now adding Ogle does this mean we are potentially missing just one player?
It could be a ploy to get someone to dig a bit deeper but really I don't think more young rookies will make that much difference to us.

Ogle doesn't count. We are allowed to take two rookies in this years rookie draft if we so choose.

GVGjr
14-11-2008, 06:36 PM
Ogle doesn't count. We are allowed to take two rookies in this years rookie draft if we so choose.

Why doesn't Ogle count? He has been upgraded hasn't he?

Isn't this the same as Ranga Ediriwickrama? He could be rookied by the Cats and bypass the draft or take his chances on draft day but I would have thought that he counted as a rookie spot.

azabob
14-11-2008, 06:45 PM

Isn't this the same as Ranga Ediriwickrama? He could be rookied by the Cats and bypass the draft or take his chances on draft day but I would have thought that he counted as a rookie spot.

Im with you GVGjr from what I understand he is a rookie just like the other 3.

Dancin' Douggy
14-11-2008, 08:18 PM

You mean one who was overlooked by every club as opposed to someone who might just be an international standard athlete who we unearthed pretty much for free? And don't forget the publicity either. Hard to get in the off season without booze, drugs or violence involved.

Bulldog4life
14-11-2008, 08:45 PM

I'm sure Olge does count as a rookie. I also believe that the AFL insists that each Club has at least 4. The following was on the Hawthorn website. I would think Sierakowski would be in the same boat as Ogle.

"The Club will also include former NSW scholarship player, Will Sierakowski, in its 2009 Rookie List. Sierakowski, from Riverview in Sydney was the first player signed by the Hawks to its NSW Scholarship program in 2006".

Sockeye Salmon
15-11-2008, 12:19 AM

Gary, Gary, Gary.

We've been talking on various forums for about 8 years. Have you ever known me to be wrong before?

OK. Maybe once or twice.

This is from an article off afl.com.au and was written immediately before last years PSD & rookie draft.

"Eight players have already been locked in before the rookie draft beginning at 10am on Tuesday. These players are either international rookies, former NSW scholarship list holders or non-registered players.

Brendan Murphy (Sydney), Kevin Dyas (Collingwood), Pearce Hanley (Brisbane Lions) and Michael Shields (Carlton) all hail from Ireland, with Khan Haretuku (St Kilda), James Wilsen (Kangaroos) and Ryan Davis (West Coast) all NSW scholarship holders.

Jake Orreal (Sydney) has been recruited as a non-registered player.

With the Kangaroos, St Kilda and West Coast all elevating their NSW scholarship holders to rookies, it means these clubs can draft these players outside of their rookie list vacancies.

For example, the Kangaroos have four rookie list spots available, but the elevation of Wilsen means they still have four picks – because he is a NSW scholarship holder and therefore becomes the club's fifth rookie.

Clubs can include a maximum of three extra players on their rookie list, provided they are former scholarship list players, international scholarship holders (there are none of these players in this year's pool) or Sydney and Brisbane based players."

GVGjr
15-11-2008, 12:51 AM
Thanks. I really haven't been taking any notice of the rules around the international rookies or the NSW scholarship guys.

Perhaps it was the Cam Lockwood / Easton Wood mix up earlier in the season that made it worthwhile asking the question but given your good eye for detail it won't happen again :)

Sockeye Salmon
15-11-2008, 12:25 PM
Thanks. I really haven't been taking any notice of the rules around the international rookies or the NSW scholarship guys.

Perhaps it was the Cam Lockwood / Easton Wood mix up earlier in the season that made it worthwhile asking the question but given your good eye for detail it won't happen again :)

In all fairness, if Wood was about 4 inches shorter they would look remarkably alike. :D

Go_Dogs
15-11-2008, 01:33 PM
Whilst it isn't ideal to miss out on a few rookies (especially given we have 2 live picks in arguably the deepest ever draft), it won't make too much difference. However I guess given the new rookie upgrading rules, it will almost be like missing out on two extra players on the list, as none of our rookies seem to be a shot at playing next year.

mjp
15-11-2008, 04:27 PM
I dont actually think we are allowed to go without a full-compliment of rookies anymore...didn't the rules change a couple of years ago that made having a full list compulsory?

Sockeye Salmon
15-11-2008, 04:41 PM
I dont actually think we are allowed to go without a full-compliment of rookies anymore...didn't the rules change a couple of years ago that made having a full list compulsory?

I think the AFL fund 4 and that is the minimum allowed.

Go_Dogs
15-11-2008, 04:50 PM
I think the AFL fund 4 and that is the minimum allowed.

So Ogle will count as one of those 4, or will the AFL fund an additional rookie for us, as Ogle was a scholarship player?

Sockeye Salmon
15-11-2008, 05:40 PM
So Ogle will count as one of those 4, or will the AFL fund an additional rookie for us, as Ogle was a scholarship player?

No idea.