PDA

View Full Version : Is the captaincy role overrated ?

Stevo
15-11-2008, 09:34 AM
I see and hear a lot of debate about who should or shouldn't be captain of a side but really isn't this role somewhat overrated ?
I can see why it's important in cricket because the role is pivotal to on the ongoing decisions made during the game but in the hurly burly world of AFL football surely the role of the captain is more around addressing the media and leading the team off the field than anything tangible on the field ?

I know if you have an awe-inspiring player who is captain it could lift the players on the field then it would be a positive but at times I think we place a far higher value on this position than is really required.

What are the main attributes required for being a successful captain ?
How important on the field do you see the role of the captain ?

GVGjr
15-11-2008, 11:04 AM
I don't think it's an important on field role at all that's why all this talk of replacing Johnson seems to be wasted energy. It wouldn't really matter to me if it was Cross, Giansiracusa or Boyd as captain now or if we just waited and worked out if Cooney or Griffen might be better prospects in 12 months time.

Perhaps MJP might be best placed to outline the requirements of a club captain.

lemmon
15-11-2008, 04:11 PM
I think its definitley over rated. Back in the day when their was a Captain and a Vice captain they were more influential but now with 5 or 6 in the leadership group they dont play much of a role.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-11-2008, 05:44 PM
I still personally believe it's very important. Even in my football I find it a key component TBH. They set the bench mark - they don't have to be the best player in the team, but they should lead from the front through work ethic and communication. Football requires a lot of 'geling' - part of that comes down to how a captain interacts with his team mates during the game itself. Before the game, during the warm up, at quarter time/half time/three quarter time and even AFTER the game. You don't want just anybody with those sorts of responsiblities. They have to be a very team orientated player/personality - I think a lot of you would be surprised at how much of an influence a captain can actually have. Eg. An act of courage (Ala Johnson v Sydney SF) or an act of brilliance (Ala Johnson v Crows Rd 1).

They're crucial to setting things straight with the younger players too, they have a clear influence on their early days. That's not to suggest they make or break the kids themselves, but it sets the clubs in-house precedent.

Overrated? I'd say it's underrated by the looks of things.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-11-2008, 05:46 PM
I think its definitley over rated. Back in the day when their was a Captain and a Vice captain they were more influential but now with 5 or 6 in the leadership group they dont play much of a role.

I agree with the second part. I don't believe in a Leadership group of 5 or 6. All it basically says is that they're the senior and/or better performed players. I know that's a bit of a generalization and not exactly spot on but I don't think the leadership groups are 'vital'. Every player is a leader in their own right, spreading the responsibility over 5-6 players seems more 'trendy' than purposeful.

The captain/vice captain, though, see above.