PDA

View Full Version : The 'Damn I Missed It' thread

Twodogs
18-11-2008, 05:12 PM
I've seen most of our games in Victoria over the last 30 years but it occured to me the other day that I've missed a few great moments at the same time because they've been interstate or I just didnt go to the game for some reason.

-The Subi brawl
-Carlton dont kick a goal until the last quarter
-Kolyniuk runs around Graeme Wright

Antone else regret missing a game that sticks in the memory?

LostDoggy
18-11-2008, 05:16 PM
I was at the Subi brawl game. Down the other end , didnt really know what had happened until i got home. Looked like a normal push and shove from a distance.

aker39
18-11-2008, 05:39 PM
I was overseas when we came back from 40 something points down to beat the Crows at the MCG.

I'll still waiting for some revenge from 97 (although I know that game barely comes close)

Twodogs
18-11-2008, 05:53 PM
I was overseas when we came back from 40 something points down to beat the Crows at the MCG.

I'll still waiting for some revenge from 97 (although I know that game barely comes close)

I missed that the big North comeback. I was listening on the radio and started to make ANZAC biscuits just before 3/4 time. I slowly became convinced that me making ANZAC bikkies was helping the comeback and managed to string out a 5-10 minute job into a 45 minute marathon. But we won

There was another game that we won right on the siren and I was driving through the western suburbs. Just as we kicked the sealer I blew the car horn and flicked the lights on and off-the guys doing a drug deal in the car park next to me almost had fits.

strebla
18-11-2008, 05:57 PM
My two are Billy running around the mark as I was at work and the final against Collingwood in 06 at work again

Sockeye Salmon
18-11-2008, 06:07 PM
I've got plenty.

I missed all of 85, including the finals, because I was playing locally myself.
I missed all of 92, including the finals because I was living overseas.

I also existed in Adelaide from 89 to 91, right in the middle of the SA player retention scheme when SA media refused to even report on VFL.

I was living in Adelaide and missed fightback. The only report of it we got in SA was that it was all over and Footscray were gone.

Like **** we were.

Sockeye Salmon
18-11-2008, 06:09 PM
I was there at the time but I missed Boydies goal v Richmond where he outsprinted everyone from the centre because my little bloke was in the middle of a tantrum about going on a train ride.

I missed the last 1/4 v Richmond drawn game this year because he's got better at tantrums and we were actually on the train well before Lake took that mark.

Twodogs
18-11-2008, 06:15 PM
I was there at the time but I missed Boydies goal v Richmond where he outsprinted everyone from the centre because my little bloke was in the middle of a tantrum about going on a train ride.

I missed the last 1/4 v Richmond drawn game this year because he's got better at tantrums and we were actually on the train well before Lake took that mark.

Did we actually miss any of the play that time both our kids went missing together at TD?

I remember vaguely thinking "Lucy will be fine-she's got Daniel to look after her"

bornadog
18-11-2008, 08:53 PM
Due to working overseas, I only saw two home and away games per year from 1992 to 1998. The only finals I saw were the big loss to Melbourne, and I saw the 1998 finals as I moved back to Melbourne. Missed the 97 prelim, but listened to it on radio.

comrade
18-11-2008, 09:02 PM
Missed 2006 final vs Collingwood; I was in the middle of no where in outback NSW, couldn't get any phone service and barely picked up a radio signal, and when I did it was all NRL coverage. I happened to turn the radio on at exactly the right time to catch the ABC say we had a big win. Couldn't wipe the smile off my face.

As a counter to the 'damn I missed it' moment, I thank my lucky stars that I was at the TD for Round 1 this year. Best time I've had at the footy, ever.

LostDoggy
18-11-2008, 09:24 PM
I missed Grants 300th because I had to work.

soupman
18-11-2008, 10:23 PM
Libba's last game.

That's proabably it. I don't miss alot of games.

Scorlibo
18-11-2008, 10:27 PM
I missed the premiership, in fact, my mother and father weren't born yet either :p

Throughandthrough
18-11-2008, 10:37 PM

Hell, i've probably seen the Dogs live about 10 times in my life, and i was at that game!

Ken McGregor missed a sealer for them, in one of his first games.

LostDoggy
18-11-2008, 10:40 PM
Hmm the Collingwood win in 06 is the only one that sticks out..

I think i was at work..im really unsure why I didn't go...I try and block that thought out and hope we will do something like that to them again in a final where we are the absolute underdogs..the hatred i have towards Collingwood supporters is a major part of my dark side.

firstdogonthemoon
18-11-2008, 11:09 PM
Everything before Peter Rohde was coach.

I know, I know. I'm ashamed.

hujsh
18-11-2008, 11:12 PM
Ken McGregor missed a sealer for them, in one of his first games.

The 2006 one? Cause it wasn't that early in McGregor's career.

ledge
18-11-2008, 11:27 PM
I missed Templetons 15 goal haul because i couldnt get in contact with TCD, so went to Polywoodside with my mother.
Yes it burns deep TCD!

westdog54
19-11-2008, 12:32 AM
I've been working weekends the past 4 years or so, so I've missed most of what's happened in that time.

Grant's 300th
Grant's record game
Johnno's 300th
Boydy's goal v Richmond.

If its happened in the last 4 years, chances are I missed it.

With the exception of this year's semi final. That was beautiful.

Sockeye Salmon
19-11-2008, 12:58 AM
Did we actually miss any of the play that time both our kids went missing together at TD?

I remember vaguely thinking "Lucy will be fine-she's got Daniel to look after her"

At least Lucy came back. Daniel was heading for the bloody train station when I caught him.

bornadog
19-11-2008, 09:33 AM
Everything before Peter Rohde was coach.

I know, I know. I'm ashamed.

So Peter's coaching skills brought you to games:D

The Underdog
19-11-2008, 10:38 AM
The 2nd half of last years game in Darwin due to my then 11 month old daughter screaming and my wife being pissed off with me.
The Adelaide game at TD which was Darcy's last great performance and Morris' first.
97 and 98 cos I was still grieving for my last love.

Any game on Foxtel that's interstate due to the natural surroundings of my current abode.

LostDoggy
19-11-2008, 01:48 PM
2005 wasn't going so great for the doggies and in July of the year I left for a five month sabbatical working in the U.K and travelling Europe. It seemed like I wasn't long out of the country and the Dogs started playing only to miss out on a dubious free kick (so I'm told as I could only watch the updates from a library computer in a little town in England called Thame (like the river but pronounced tame) only to see us finish on the wrong side of the ledger and miss out. The one consolation if we'd made it, then "Damn I would've missed the finals series".

ps: as a side note I had an ironical trip as I went through Italy. I went to see Michaelangelos famous statue of David in Florence and while there recognised this grey haired man. On closer inspection I recognised it was David Parkin, with his wife not ar away. Not being able to take photo's in there and seeing that Parko was on holidays I let the opportunity go to have a chat or get a photo, autograph, etc. "damn I missed it".
Although when I got back to my hostel another aussie come up to me and said, guess who I've just seen" and I said hmm, David Parkin and he's like yeah how did you know?, doh.

However, a few days later after a big last night in florence I travelled to Rome. I had a few hours left on a sunday afternoon to kill to I decided to visit the colosseum (I hope I spelt that richtig). Low and behold to my surprise there again in the colosseum was David Parkin wife. This time I would not let the opportunity slip and went straight up to him (I must say with a bulldogs scarf on) and introduced myself and had a chat, he told me how exciting the football was the bulldogs played at the end of the 2005 season only to narrowly miss out on finals, I requested a photo with him which he obliged, his wife also requested a photo of myself which she took on their camera (there you have it, a bulldog supporter on the Parkin mantle piece, I'm sure Jack wouldn't be happy). Go Doggies

Sockeye Salmon
19-11-2008, 04:31 PM
In 97 I had to go to the UK for business so my wife met me over there and we spent 8 weeks in Italy and Austria.

I was on the Venetian island of Burano (or Marano, I can't remember which one's which) where they make Venetian lace. All the shops were full of women and the town square was full of bored blokes waiting around.

I hadn't heard a thing about the footy for what seemed like months until I overheard two blokes with Australian accents:

1st bloke: "When did you leave Melbourne?"
2nd bloke: "Day before yesterday"
1: Got any footy news?"
2" Footscray are on top of the ladder"

LostDoggy
19-11-2008, 05:31 PM
The Collingwood final in 2006, I was in New Zealand but I had a live telecast of it on the internet- you can't imagine the trouble I had figuring out what was going on, with Holland's hit on Monty, Gilbee hurting his ankle etc. it was hard to know what was happening.

Johnno's 200th against Brisbane because it was my birthday...really wish I had of gone instead, it turned out to be an amazing game.

Twodogs
20-11-2008, 12:46 PM
The Collingwood final in 2006, I was in New Zealand but I had a live telecast of it on the internet- you can't imagine the trouble I had figuring out what was going on, with Holland's hit on Monty, Gilbee hurting his ankle etc. it was hard to know what was happening.

It was hard enough working out what was happening at the ground.

Throughandthrough
22-11-2008, 10:49 PM
The 2006 one? Cause it wasn't that early in McGregor's career.

KT31
23-11-2008, 04:50 PM
In 97 I had to go to the UK for business so my wife met me over there and we spent 8 weeks in Italy and Austria.

I was on the Venetian island of Burano (or Marano, I can't remember which one's which) where they make Venetian lace. All the shops were full of women and the town square was full of bored blokes waiting around."

As I recall you were in Europe during the 92 season as well.
If you stay in Europe we may win a flag.
I was in the States and missed most of the 2007 season. (Thank God)

KT31
23-11-2008, 04:54 PM

Sockeye is a serial offender.
I asked him to keep an eye my two year old at Optus once.
15 seconds later the pup was up the back of the stand and Sockeye was still watching the footy.

westdog54
24-11-2008, 03:39 AM
Sockeye is a serial offender.
I asked him to keep an eye my two year old at Optus once.
15 seconds later the pup was up the back of the stand and Sockeye was still watching the footy.

*Note to self: When I get around to having kids, don't take them to the footy with Sockeye and Twodogs...*

soupman
24-11-2008, 11:09 AM
*Note to self: When I get around to having kids, don't take them to the footy with Sockeye and Twodogs...*

I was thinking the same, until I realised that I'd be just as bad. I guess when I have kids I'll have to arrange it so that either their mother or my sister is there to look after them for me.

Go_Dogs
24-11-2008, 03:08 PM
As I recall you were in Europe during the 92 season as well.
If you stay in Europe we may win a flag.
I was in the States and missed most of the 2007 season. (Thank God)

Hopefully the curse can pass to me, I'll be spending the second half of the coming season O/S - and knowing my luck I'm already certain we'll win.

Twodogs
25-11-2008, 01:40 PM

Bring 'em along. Me and Sockeye will look after them as if they were our own.

westdog54
25-11-2008, 02:43 PM
Bring 'em along. Me and Sockeye will look after them as if they were our own.

I don't think that statement will fill my wife with confidence:p

Twodogs
25-11-2008, 06:36 PM
I don't think that statement will fill my wife with confidence:p

In my days of organising trips for kids I prided myself on always making sure that parents took home at least as many kids as they dropped off that morning. They might not have been the same kids as they dropped off that morning but the numbers always balanced.

LostDoggy
25-11-2008, 07:33 PM
Damm I missed the 2000 game against Essendon....I didn't even watch it on the TV, I was having dinner with my sister-in-law celebrating her birthday and yup she is an Essendon supporter. Boy did she have a lot of phone messages waiting for her when she got home.:D

westdog54
26-11-2008, 12:53 AM
In my days of organising trips for kids I prided myself on always making sure that parents took home at least as many kids as they dropped off that morning. They might not have been the same kids as they dropped off that morning but the numbers always balanced.

So its quantity not quality?

LostDoggy
26-11-2008, 12:49 PM

That game is my all time favorite...

I wish i had of missed the 2 years Peter Rhodes coached... :p (maybe a bit harsh)

KT31
26-11-2008, 11:31 PM
That game is my all time favorite...

I wish i had of missed the 2 years Peter Rhodes coached... :p (maybe a bit harsh)

I wish Peter Rhodes had missed the two years he coached.
Although quite possibly he did !

strebla
26-11-2008, 11:50 PM
Damm I missed the 2000 game against Essendon....I didn't even watch it on the TV, I was having dinner with my sister-in-law celebrating her birthday and yup she is an Essendon supporter. Boy did she have a lot of phone messages waiting for her when she got home.:D

I was in the nosebleeds with the cocky bastards and I made sure they knew I was there