PDA

View Full Version : Shane Birss

Templeton31
21-11-2008, 11:09 AM
I notice he wasnt on the list of delisted players who nominated for the draft. Anyone got any info on what he's doing now? He's delisting by the Saints seemed a little unexpected so I thought he'd try and get another chance somewhere.....

bulldogsman
21-11-2008, 12:20 PM
I notice he wasnt on the list of delisted players who nominated for the draft. Anyone got any info on what he's doing now? He's delisting by the Saints seemed a little unexpected so I thought he'd try and get another chance somewhere.....

It seems he's given up hope by the look of it

LostDoggy
21-11-2008, 07:37 PM
Rumour has it Spotswood were interested in him. Havent heard anything else though. Would be massive for the competition if they got him but id say he would demand a heft pay packet.

Throughandthrough
22-11-2008, 10:47 PM
Has signed up for one of the SANFL clubs I believe.

No, not Glenelg.

mighty_west
23-11-2008, 12:06 PM
Has signed up for one of the SANFL clubs I believe.

No, not Glenelg.

One of the SANFL clubs also waved big bucks in front of Streetas nose, but he declined to play in a Geelong league.

Birssy's a player that could easily be on a list, he would be alot better than alot of listed players, but just isn't a star, he seems like a player that tries his guts out as well, so it's a shame that he isnt playing in the AFL.

Saying that, he'll kill it in the SANFL.

aker39
24-11-2008, 09:18 AM
He'd fit in well at Centrals next to the Gowans twins.

LostDoggy
24-11-2008, 12:12 PM
Too right he would

Go you Dogs

Throughandthrough
05-02-2009, 11:14 PM
Has been appointed VICE Captain (!!) of West Adelaide!

PS West are lining up fpr their 5th (+/-) 1 spoon in a row.

And just suffered a massive financial loss as well.

Sounds like the Birrsinatordogger must be their last hope.

PS I actually hope (and suspect) he'll go very well in the SANFL.

The SANFL is dominated by players that are just a little bit crap.

Remi Moses
06-02-2009, 12:28 AM
Good luck to Shane. Couldn't believe at one stage Stkilda looked like keeping Fiora and dumped Birss

Go_Dogs
06-02-2009, 09:47 AM
Yes, was nice article on him in yesterdays Advertiser. Hopefully he has a good year.

LostDoggy
08-02-2009, 01:10 AM
Vice captain, thats awesome news. Some friends managed to get me his warm up top from last year, even tho its a St.Kilda top, ill be keeping it forever.

I think i may be taking a bit more interest in the SANFL this year :)

Throughandthrough
27-03-2009, 10:13 PM
The young fella is struggling big time at the moment.

Obviously wish him nothing but the best.

http://weekly-times-messenger.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/birss-takes-indefinite-leave/

GVGjr
27-03-2009, 10:22 PM

http://weekly-times-messenger.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/birss-takes-indefinite-leave/

Yes, there was speculation a while back that he was struggling with things and this is a mighty shame for a terrific bloke.

LostDoggy
28-03-2009, 10:39 AM
I really hope he gets through this with minimum problems. It's a far bigger issue than we might all think because so many suffer in silence. Good luck Shane.

LostDoggy
28-03-2009, 08:46 PM
Shattered with this news, as he was my fav player, i still remember the day he was drafted, exactly where i was standing, and chose him as soon as he come up on screen, i still have it on video.

And i still remember his dad coming over to me(i had my #40 jumper on obviously) after Shane played his 1st afl game, against the roons if i remember right, i could be wrong tho, but his dad came over to me in the Victory room after we lost to the roos, and said dont worry love that #40 kid will be alright.

I wear his warm up to bed every night, well every night that its not out drying after its been washed, i just love the guy, he has a greta personality,and Amy does as well.

I really hope he gets over this, and coomes back and plays some of his best footy for West Adelaide.

Thinking of ya Birssyboy.

Remi Moses
29-03-2009, 12:34 AM
Good luck to Shane. Get well soon:(:(

LostDoggy
29-03-2009, 12:43 AM
How ironic, it looks like Farren Ray is tackling him:eek: Good luck Birsy, there were a lot of Saints supporters upset that you have gone as well.

Bulldog Revolution
29-03-2009, 10:59 AM
Huge fan of Birss, both as a player and as a person - terrific guy and hopefully he can get things back on track

westdog54
29-03-2009, 11:23 AM

Good to see the AFLPA doesn't leave behind those no longer on AFL lists.

Hope Shane's recovery goes well.

BulldogBelle
29-03-2009, 12:41 PM
Good to see the AFLPA doesn't leave behind those no longer on AFL lists.

Hope Shane's recovery goes well.

Yes, the AFLPA has got a few very good programs in place to help the ex- afl footballers. Speedy recovery to Birss.

Throughandthrough
11-06-2009, 09:03 PM
Has been selected to make his league debut on Saturday (against Glenelg)

Will keep an interested eye on him, hopefully his team loses

BulldogBelle
11-06-2009, 09:09 PM

Good to see him playing again - I always liked Birss. Let us know how he goes Throughandthrough.

comrade
11-06-2009, 09:15 PM

Great news - hopefully this means his recovery is coming along well.

Bulldog Revolution
11-06-2009, 09:38 PM
Good luck Shane

Hope he gets 20+ possies and the team has a win

AndrewP6
11-06-2009, 09:46 PM
Best of luck to Birss...

Throughandthrough
11-06-2009, 10:03 PM
Good to see him playing again - I always liked Birss. Let us know how he goes Throughandthrough.\

Will do. I'll grab a few photos if the weather is fine.

LostDoggy
11-06-2009, 10:07 PM
This has made my day a whole lot better, im so happy for Birssy to be back playing footy, he was my fav player since the day he got drafted.

Some photos would be great Throughand through.

BulldogBelle
11-06-2009, 10:19 PM
Will do. I'll grab a few photos if the weather is fine.

Thanks Throughandthrough that would be good. :)

Throughandthrough
11-06-2009, 11:52 PM
I know someone heavily involved in team management at West Adelaide, i'll send him an email tomorrow to see if we can get a good luck message through to Shane on behalf of the Woofers.

Throughandthrough
12-06-2009, 10:31 AM
Done

trust you are well, good to see West has turned the corner.

But i hope you lose tomorrow!

i'm a regular poster on a Western Bulldogs web site, i posted that Shane Birss is playing league tomorrow.

Most people on there were aware of his illness, and all are very supportive of him and hope he goes well tomorrow. (I don't) :)

IF its possible/appropriate, if you get 10 seconds, could you please pass on a message to him that the dogs fans are wishing him the best tomorrow; and have fond memories from his days @ doggy land.

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=3907&page=2

Thanks!

Yes, I’d be pleased to do that. I’ll see him at training tonight and pass it on.

No doubt I’ll see you tomorrow.

Mofra
12-06-2009, 11:16 AM
I know someone heavily involved in team management at West Adelaide, i'll send him an email tomorrow to see if we can get a good luck message through to Shane on behalf of the Woofers.
Thay'd be good, if he's been having a few problems some good vibes could pick him up a bit.

Mitcha
12-06-2009, 06:23 PM
Was not aware he wasn't well. Could someone please bring me up to speed. Regards Mitch.

Remi Moses
13-06-2009, 01:40 AM
Great news,good luck to the lad.

The Coon Dog
13-06-2009, 06:20 AM
Was not aware he wasn't well. Could someone please bring me up to speed. Regards Mitch.

Birss takes indefinite leave (http://weekly-times-messenger.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/birss-takes-indefinite-leave/)

27 Mar 09

WEST Adelaide has revealed star recruit Shane Birss is battling depression and has taken indefinite leave from the game.

The Bloods issued a statement this afternoon saying Birss had been dealing with the illness since January, had been prescribed medication and been attending therapy sessions.

Birss, who joined the Bloods after an AFL career at the Western Bulldogs and St Kilda, has trained most of the summer but played just the one trial game. That was in the Reserves last week.

``The West Adelaide Football Club in conjunction with the AFLPA are working with Shane, Amy, their families and his doctors to get Shane back to full health,’’ the statement read.

``Shane is very confident that in time he can get back to playing great footy for the West Adelaide Football Club.’’

West Adelaide football operations manager Scott Turner said Birss’ teammates were aware of his illness and the club was ``moving forward’’.

The Bloods travel to Noarlunga to play South Adelaide on Saturday.

The club has asked the media to respect Birss and his teammates.

The Coon Dog
13-06-2009, 06:22 AM
Birss is primed to battle Bays (http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,25623839-21546,00.html)

June 12, 2009

ST KILDA recruit Shane Birss will make his league debut for West Adelaide in the clash with Glenelg at the Bay tomorrow after proving his fitness in the reserves.

The talented on-baller, who had his start to the season delayed by depression, has wasted little time finding form in the seconds and his presence will strengthen the midfield.

"His training has been solid and he's looking forward to getting out there," Bloods football operations manager Scott Turner said. "He has been playing well in the reserves." Birss played eight games for St Kilda last year - for a total of 71 in the AFL - before moving to Adelaide.

bulldogtragic
13-06-2009, 02:23 PM
Birss is primed to battle Bays (http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,25623839-21546,00.html)

June 12, 2009

ST KILDA recruit Shane Birss will make his league debut for West Adelaide in the clash with Glenelg at the Bay tomorrow after proving his fitness in the reserves.

The talented on-baller, who had his start to the season delayed by depression, has wasted little time finding form in the seconds and his presence will strengthen the midfield.

"His training has been solid and he's looking forward to getting out there," Bloods football operations manager Scott Turner said. "He has been playing well in the reserves." Birss played eight games for St Kilda last year - for a total of 71 in the AFL - before moving to Adelaide.
Great news all round.

Throughandthrough
14-06-2009, 01:09 AM
Shane played today, seemed fairly solid but didn't star. Possibly in West Adelaide's best players.

Came through the game well, apparently.

Sadly for Shane but happily for me the Bays beat the Bloods by about 7 goals

here's a few happy snaps.

(This is the West Adelaide much maligned "away" jumper. They use an Essendon type jumper normally)

Salim Hassan was also playing for West; the coach is Andy Collins.

Notable ex West Adelaide players include Scott Welsh, Nathan Eagleton, Tiller and some hack named Cooney.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2451/3622265606_83f2426b5f.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3590/3622265600_194e29670d.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3637/3622265598_f0808160e1.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3618/3622265592_67f460c21b.jpg?v=0

BulldogBelle
14-06-2009, 01:13 AM
Thanks for posting up the pics Throughandthrough, good to hear that he played ok. Playing today would have been great for his confidence. :)

LostDoggy
14-06-2009, 11:07 AM
What great pictures to wake up to on a sunday morning, im so happy hes back out there playing, jsut wish it was here in Melbourne so i could go watch him play.

Thanks heaps for pictures and that Throughandthrough

hujsh
14-06-2009, 02:09 PM
Richmond team looks like sellouts with that 'Gliderol' thing on their jumper

Throughandthrough
14-06-2009, 04:24 PM

Richmond?

Ahemmm.........

Glenelg thank you!

But anyways....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKb65uh7TNw

BulldogBelle
16-06-2009, 10:30 AM
Ta for that throughandthrough! Great to see Birssy is getting back into it and hopefully recovering well.

LostDoggy
16-06-2009, 01:00 PM
Beating the "Black Dog" is a long process, just getting back on the park is a major step. Well done Shane!! I'm sure all Woofers are proud of your struggle to get well. He will, no doubt be a great asset to Wests for the rest of the season.:cool:

mighty_west
16-06-2009, 03:53 PM

If you don't "sellout" in footy, you'll end up with Fitzroy!

Great to see Birssy back in action, thanks for the updates & pics Throughandthrough.

craigsahibee
16-06-2009, 07:46 PM
Well done and good luck Shane.

Throughandthrough
16-06-2009, 09:05 PM
i received a message that

I passed on the forum’s best wishes to Shane Birss last Friday night and he was pleased.

LostDoggy
18-06-2009, 11:16 AM
Always enjoyed watching Shane play and was sad when he left us. Didn't realise he was struggling - a few of my friends are also struggling with depression, so I understand a little of what it is like. I hope that things turn around for him quickly, and he gets back to doing what he loves, playing footy.

Throughandthrough
25-06-2009, 10:29 PM
Shane having the week off from West Adelaide, spending the weekend with his family in rural Victoria. Apparently he has played one, skipped one, played another, and then skipping this weekend.

Is expected to play next week.

As an outsider it appears that West Adelaide is making sure Shane's health is of utmost priority, as this week is a very important game for that club if they want to keep their thin finals hopes going.

comrade
26-06-2009, 10:01 AM
Shane having the week off from West Adelaide, spending the weekend with his family in rural Victoria. Apparently he has played one, skipped one, played another, and then skipping this weekend.

Is expected to play next week.

As an outsider it appears that West Adelaide is making sure Shane's health is of utmost priority, as this week is a very important game for that club if they want to keep their thin finals hopes going.

Appreciate the insight.

Fantastic that the footy club is ensuring Shane’s wellbeing is looked after.

Throughandthrough
08-07-2009, 10:56 PM
http://southern-times-messenger.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/my-private-battle/

http://images.whereilive.com.au/images/uploads/2009/07/08/5b78e9e4cff65ce31467fb51d3b5e7dc_resized.JPG

MY PRIVATE BATTLE
sportAustralian Rules/Footy08 Jul 09 @ 11:55am by Reece Homfray
Shane Birss at City Mazda Stadium. Picture: Nat Thompson
WEST Adelaide’s star AFL recruit Shane Birss’ courageous decision to break his silence on his private battle with depression could result in an historic partnership between Beyond Blue and the SANFL to help players let go from the top level.
Birss was hospitalised after suffering a depression-related breakdown in December 2008 - two months after being delisted by St Kilda.
``You put so much into it (AFL career) then it’s taken away from you, then you cop the knock of a breakdown it just floored me,’’ Birss said.
He signed with West Adelaide only to walk away from football in March, but played his second League game for the Bloods on Saturday.
The SANFL said last week it would investigate a partnership with mental health organisation Beyond Blue, to help delisted AFL players in their transition to the state competition, if there was enough support from the clubs.
``No doubt clubs are fully aware of issues when players are delisted,’’ said SANFL general manager state league and partnerships Darren Chandler.
``Whether it’s their own players coming back, or players they’ve recruited.
``Responsibility lies with the clubs in that area, but the SANFL would provide support if they asked us.’’
Beyond Blue has delivered a professional sports program to all AFL players, national cricketers and some state-based teams for two years. Acting deputy chief executive Clare Shann said there was no reason it could not be rolled out to the SANFL. The program aims to lift depression awareness and reduce stigma, and help those concerned about teammates.
``It’s available now and we’re very interested in delivering that as broadly as possible,’’ Ms Shann said.
Former players can use AFL Players’ Association (AFLPA) services including career counselling for three years after finishing.

FIGHTING BACK

SHANE Birss was on a boat with friends and his fiance at Lakes Entrance when it hit him that his AFL career was over.

After 71 games in eight years with the Western Bulldogs and St Kilda, he didn’t know what to do next.

``I was on holidays when it happened to me over Christmas time,’’ he said.

``I just wasn’t myself and I had a pretty serious breakdown.

``My head got all muddled up and I couldn’t think, couldn’t do stuff.’’

At the peak of his fitness and just two months out of the AFL system, Birss ended up in intensive care in a Melbourne hospital.

``I can’t put a finger on what actually caused it probably my brain thinking what’s going on in life?.

``January was pretty tough, I went through some pretty hard days.’’

One thing Birss does know, and freely admits, is that he wasn’t prepared for life after football.

When the crowds disappeared and the training regime was gone, he had to re-assess not only his career but his life.

``It all came to a head when I finished.

``You put so much into it (AFL career) then it’s taken away from you, then you cop the knock of a breakdown it just floored me.’’

During his AFL career, Birss was too busy worrying about next week to worry about life after the game.

He says there’s a stat somewhere that shows he was named an emergency more times than he actually played.

``That was the hardest thing about my career in and out all the time and having to go back to the VFL, prove myself, then being dropped, get a game, get dropped,’’ he said.

Drafted by the Bulldogs from Gippsland at No.26 in 2000, Birss played 51 games before asking to be traded. He ended up at St Kilda in 2007 where he played 20 games in two years.

``But I still felt it was a bit of a battle. I probably went to two teams with very strong midfields.’’

Then came the delisting, which Birss said he ``probably saw coming’’.

``But when I actually heard (it) I was very upset.’’

After considering nominating for the AFL’s pre-season draft, Birss decided to sign with SANFL club West Adelaide after meeting coach Andy Collins and football operations manager Scott Turner in Melbourne.

Initially he liked the idea of a new challenge but the closer he got to moving to Adelaide, the worse he felt.

But despite being diagnosed with depression, suffering a breakdown and his time in hospital, he was determined to play for West Adelaide.

``I drove over and was okay but we weren’t training at the time and it really knocked me about.

``I was on medication and when I went to training it was really hard, just getting through training.’’

Some days he struggled to get out of bed.

``To pick myself up and do day-to-day stuff was tough. I was sleeping all the time and flat.’’

After struggling to run in his first trial game for the club, Birss decided he needed time away from football.

And he said telling his teammates was tough.

``I had to because we started saying I was injured and it just wasn’t the way to go for the boys, to lie to them.

``That was really tough. Especially when you come over here and you want to make a difference.

``But to come out and say it I think actually helped because then people knew why I wasn’t there and what I was going through.’’

Three months on, Birss has played two League and two Reserves games for Westies and is ready to enter the workforce.

He says he’s ``still coping with a lot of stuff’’ but is thinking ``more positively’’.

``Footy-wise, fitness I’ve still got a long way to go because laying down and having everything knocked out of me ...

``I’ve got a big pre-season ahead of me. I want to stick with it and get back to my best because I still want to hang around here for a while yet.’’

And if he had one piece of advice to offer a young AFL draftee: ``Do as much as you can’’.

``I thought I would have been fine ... a lot of guys study, but I haven’t been the studying type.

``I wish now that I would have done a few more things outside of football ... because at the moment even looking for jobs is hard.

``But the West Adelaide footy club and my fiancee Amy have been a huge support.’’

Birss is also keen to continue the growing public awareness and understanding of depression.

``The illness is not you, it’s the way you feel. Because all you want to do is get better.’’

If you are suffering depression, phone Lifeline on 131 114 or Beyond Blue on 1300 224 636 or go to http://www.beyondblue.com.au

The Coon Dog
08-07-2009, 11:21 PM
It breaks your heart when you read about a really wonderful bloke like Birssy struggling as he has.

I sincerely hope he, with the support of fiance & footy club can win this battle.

aker39
09-07-2009, 09:11 AM
Not one mention in there of the ALFPA.

With the amount of money they are given by the AFL, I hope they have had some sort of role to play.

Desipura
09-07-2009, 09:22 AM
Part of me says, would it not be great if he was playing great footy again and got picked up by one of the Adelaide clubs and had a good AFL career. Thats just me wanting a happy ending I guess.
More realistic though is that he will continue playing in the SANFL (and hopefully playing in a winning grand final) and having a job outside work that he enjoys.
Good luck to him whatever path his life takes him

Mofra
09-07-2009, 02:11 PM
It breaks your heart when you read about a really wonderful bloke like Birssy struggling as he has.

I sincerely hope he, with the support of fiance & footy club can win this battle.
Ditto. He has a fairly good support network by the sounds of it so hopefully he'll be ok.

Twodogs
09-07-2009, 02:33 PM
I've battled depression most of my adult life and I wish I'd been diagnosed earlier. Shane seems like he's taking steps to ensure it doesnt ruin his life and I think the earlier you can get on top of mental illness the better your chance of recovery.

Also being involved in an organisation like a footy club helps reinforce a positive lifestyle and the involvelment of your peers can only help I reckon.

LostDoggy
09-07-2009, 08:52 PM
There is so much i want to say in this thread, i just dont no where to start, so i wont say anytihng apart from i hope Shanes doing heaps better now, i know his family and friends will be giving him lots of support.

LostDoggy
02-08-2009, 09:12 PM
Anyone know how hes been going with footy lately???