PDA

View Full Version : West hands 7 to 'good choice' Higgins

LostDoggy
27-11-2008, 05:19 PM
http://westernbulldogs.com.au/tabid/4112/Default.aspx?newsid=70234

RETIRED Western Bulldogs champion Scott West has chosen emerging forward Shaun Higgins as the player who will wear his famous No. 7 guernsey next season.

West, who called an end to his decorated career in September after 324 games, mentored Higgins in his early days at Whitten Oval.

"He's helped Higgo along for the last couple of years and Higgo's a good young kid who's hard at it," assistant coach Leon Cameron said on Thursday.

"He's got a lot of natural ability and he's starting to realise he's got to work pretty hard like a Scott West to get to where he's got to get to.

"I think Westy sees that in him, so that's a good choice."

Higgins said he was proud to be handed West's jumper after wearing No. 19 for the last three years.

"What's he's done throughout his career and what he's done with the best and fairest, it's a massive honour," he said.

"He's really good with the younger guys, so with guys like Griff (Ryan Griffen) and myself, he tried to share as much knowledge as he could throughout the first couple of years.

"This year, with both of us being injured, we spent a lot of time together and he was able to get me through that period, and probably got me back playing footy a couple of weeks sooner."

West broke the news to Higgins himself, which the 20-year-old met with great enthusiasm as a long-time admirer of "the way he (West) went about things".

"He called me last Friday night to ask me if I'd wear the No. 7, and I said I'd love to wear it," he said.

"It's just a massive privilege."

Higgins has played 32 games since his 2006 debut, but added just seven this year after breaking his ankle in round two.

West will be a part-time assistant coach at Melbourne in 2009 after accepting a position late last week.

for westernbulldogs.com.au