PDA

View Full Version : Ayce in the pack

comrade
27-11-2008, 08:51 PM
THERE is one member of the emerging class of 2008 who will enter Saturday's NAB AFL Draft stress-free and assured of his future.

In fact, he won't even be in the country. Western Bulldogs' father-son selection Ayce Cordy will be in the United States with his new club, reaping the benefits of a full pre-season training.

The 18-year-old has the luxury of already knowing just when and where his name will be read out during the drafting process – right after the Bulldogs are invited to make their first selection at pick No.14.

"It's good to know where you are and where you're going," Cordy conceded at Dogs training on Thursday.

"I've had a week's head start on all the other boys that will get drafted, and by the feel of things, I need to get as much of a head start as I possibly can."

The son of former Bulldog Brian, who played 124 games for the club in the 1980s, joined his new teammates at Whitten Oval earlier this week.

He was being put through his paces on Thursday in a series of running exercises which were visibly taking it out of him in the 30-degree heat.

"It's been tough. I've tried to do as much as I can, but they've tried to take it pretty easy on me, to ease me into things," he said.

"It's definitely been a pretty big step up from everything I'm used to, so it's been hard but definitely enjoyable."

Cordy said "everything" was hurting after the Dogs' running session, but revealed it's the boxing drills that have him the most concerned.

"They've kept me out of the real gut-busting running, so it's mainly been the boxing that's been the hardest," he said.

"Those 10 minutes here, 10 minutes there sessions really do it to you, and it's been tough."

Cordy has been staying with teammate Shaun Higgins this week as he gets settled into life as a Bulldog.

He has also joined the club at an opportune time, with the Bulldogs set to embark on an overseas training camp in Arizona on Friday.

"I've timed it pretty nicely to come to the club just as they're heading off to America," Cordy laughed.

"I know we're going off to a college football game on the Friday night, so that's the main highlight, but I assume it's going to be pretty much what we're doing now, running, weights and getting ready for the season.

"I'm looking forward to it, it should be good fun."

http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=70284