PDA

View Full Version : The 3 amigos

GVGjr
29-11-2008, 11:53 AM
WOOF welcomes the 3 new pups to the Kennel

Ayce Cordy Pick #14

http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/images/AFL/2008_Draft_Image_Sets/Ayce_Cordy_Draft_246a.jpg

Jordan Roughead Pick #31

http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/images/AFL/2008_Draft_Image_Sets/Jordan_Roughead_Draft_246a.jpg

Liam Jones Pick #32

http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/images/AFL/2008_Draft_Image_Sets/Liam_Jones_Draft_246a.jpg

comrade
29-11-2008, 12:15 PM
Look at those MONSTERS! Not a midget in sight...

The Bulldogs Bite
29-11-2008, 12:19 PM
Roughead looks huge, looking over his highlights I am pretty pleased. Looks a strong mark, competes really well, good skills & good tap work.

Jones as previously said looks a natural CHF, moves really well, fantastic skills, strong mark & pressure's well.

Looks like we've done very well, addressing our most immediate needs.

Welcome boys.

LostDoggy
29-11-2008, 12:27 PM
Very happy with these selections and I will be looking at them playing for Williamstown and developing during the 2009 season.

bornadog
29-11-2008, 01:29 PM
Roughead looks huge, Welcome boys.

He is already 10kg heavier than Cordy.

Add Grant and Boumann and wow, we must now have the tallest team in the AFL:)

Surely a couple of these guys will go on and become KPP's for us. God we have drafted so many talls with so much bad luck.

Bulldog Revolution
29-11-2008, 01:32 PM
I wonder how much involvement, if any, Chris Maple (Roughies former Rebels TAC cup coach and our recently hired development coach) had to do with us selecting Roughead.

Mantis
29-11-2008, 01:49 PM
I wonder how much involvement, if any, Chris Maple (Roughies former Rebels TAC cup coach and our recently hired development coach) had to do with us selecting Roughead.

None.

But is a good thing that he has worked with him before.

GVGjr
29-11-2008, 10:10 PM
this from the HUN (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24725108-19775,00.html)

WESTERN Bulldogs bolstered their big man stocks with three talls from three picks in this year's National Draft.

With Father-Son selection Ayce Cordy already in the Dogs' keeping, they were rapt when Jordan Roughead slid to 31 and then claimed Liam Jones to cap a tall trifecta.

Western Bulldogs picks

Pick 14 - Ayce Cordy (father-son selection)
Geelong Falcons (Vic), 202cm, 77kg
Cordy missed most of 2008 with a shoulder reconstruction yet was still always certain to end up at the Bulldogs under the father-son rule. He ended up being taken with their first selection, No.14 overall, but would likely have been a top 10 pick if available on the open market. The 202cm Cordy will take a long time to develop but given his mobility for his size and overall potential, he is the Bulldogs’ best young ruck hope since Luke Darcy’s career began in the mid-1990s.

Pick 31 - Jordan Roughead
North Ballarat (Vic), 200cm, 92kg
Developing ruckman with good endurance who is sound at ground level. Ruckwork is a feature of his game. The Dogs were rapt that he slid to them. From Lake Wendouree FC.

Pick 32 - Liam Jones
Tassie Mariners, 195cm, 86kg
Tall forward or defender who reads the game well and attacks the ball with purpose. Good decision maker and strong overhead. Attends Scotch College in Melbourne. From North Hobart FC.

Western Bulldogs football manager James Fantasia: Our order (eg task) going into the draft was to get talls, key position players. With Ayce Cordy at 200cm, young Jordan (Roughead) at 199cm and young Liam (Jones) at 195cm that was a really pleasing result. (Getting Roughead at pick 32) was a surprise for us. In our numbers he was rated a lot higher. He was inside our 20 sort of thing.

comrade
29-11-2008, 10:17 PM
Pick 32 - Liam Jones
Tassie Mariners, 195cm, 86kg
Tall forward or defender who reads the game well and attacks the ball with purpose. Good decision maker and strong overhead. Attends Scotch College in Melbourne. From North Hobart FC.

Eventual replacement for Brian?

Bumper Bulldogs
29-11-2008, 10:20 PM
how will we fit them into our side for 2010 after winning the flag in 2009.

oh what a feeling!

Scraggers
30-11-2008, 02:41 AM
Does anyone remeber Roughead's and Jones' stats from the Draft Camp trials ??

Sockeye Salmon
30-11-2008, 10:17 AM
Does anyone remeber Roughead's and Jones' stats from the Draft Camp trials ??

They don't publish the full list but a few things do get reported.

Roughead ran a respectable 12.9 beep.

Jones was top 10 for agility.

Scraggers
01-12-2008, 02:42 AM
They don't publish the full list but a few things do get reported.

Roughead ran a respectable 12.9 beep.

Jones was top 10 for agility.

Cheers SS

Sockeye Salmon
01-12-2008, 08:45 AM
Liam Jones Stuff

Liam Jones - (KPF / KPD) 24 February 1991, 192cm 84kg. Tas/North Hobart

"Dream come true for a Tassie tyro SEAN STEVENSON
April 09, 2008 12:00am
HE might be just 17, but football has already provided Liam Jones with experiences most teenagers can only dream about.
Liam returned from a tour of South Africa with the AIS team last week, just in time to play a curtain-raiser to "the Derby" clash between Fremantle and West Coast at Subiaco Oval in Perth.
He was a solid contributor at full-back in the AIS team's 30-point victory over West Perth, despite suffering a broken nose in a marking contest in the opening two minutes of the game.
Later this year Liam will play in a curtain-raiser to another AFL game, the Geelong versus Melbourne clash in round 19, on the hallowed turf of the MCG.
That will not be a result of his involvement with the AIS program though.
Liam will be representing Scotch College against Melbourne Grammar, after joining the school on a football scholarship this year.
It is the 150th anniversary game at the MCG, so it will be pretty exciting, he said.
The son of former North Hobart and St Kilda star Bob Jones, Liam said the scholarship to Scotch was too good an opportunity to pass up despite some initial reservations about leaving the family home in Hobart.
At first I wasn't too keen, but I changed my mind after visiting the school, he said.
Liam said he had no regrets after spending his first term at the school.
He has already established some firm friendships with fellow scholarship holders; even a young AFL star.
Cyril Rioli's cousin Jack Long (nephew of former Essendon great Michael Long) is at the school and he visits quite often, so it has been good to get to know him, Liam said.
Rioli is one of many AFL footballers to have come through the Scotch College program, and Liam is hoping he can add his name to the list.
He has been working hard in the gym on adding some muscle to his slender 195cm, 84kg frame.
Kevin Sheedy came on the tour of South Africa with us and told me I needed to have more muscle come draft time, Liam said.
Following a quick visit back home Liam returns to Melbourne today, and will play his first game for Scotch this weekend."

"Liam eager to grab chance ADAM SMITH
September 05, 2007 12:00am
WHILE there are never guarantees in sport, teenager Liam Jones is certainly on the right path in the football world.
The 16-year-old was part of Tasmania's under-16 side which played at the national carnival earlier this year, impressing so much he gained selection in the AIS team.
A centre half-forward for North Hobart, Jones is not only preparing himself for the finals with his club side, but also for one of a number camps in Canberra beginning in December.
He will train with an AFL club in January before flying to South Africa next Easter.
Jones was surprised when he found out about his selection three weeks ago.
I couldn't believe it when I first found out, the Dominic College student said.
I thought I played fairly well during the carnival, but mainly the (guys picked) came from division one, so I didn't feel too confident of getting in.
It will be good to see what it's like and compare myself to other guys who are the best players in Australia."
Jones is following in the footsteps of Devils player Aaron Cornelius, who was selected in the AIS team last year.
Before heading to South Africa, the Australian side clashes with teams from the WAFL in Perth.
AIS/AFL high-performance coach Alan McConnell said Jones's selection was based on his performance at the national carnival, with this opportunity giving him an indication of what to expect further down the track.
He said while on average only 75 per cent of players picked in underage sides went on to the AFL, the AIS program was about giving them the best possible platform to do so.
When the guys go to Canberra for the week, they take part in a variety of camps, while we make a program for his needs for outside the camps, McConnell said.
The intention is to get them to play their best footy in the under-18 nationals.
He (Jones) has a natural good judgment and can influence the play when he is involved.
There is a great deal of talent and he is very skilful but obviously there is still a fair way to go.
He is a natural forward but also has the ability to play in defence. He is a nice size and shape for the position he currently plays in."

"Future Star: A Player i believe will go high in the 2009 draft is Liam Jones from Tasmania. He is a AIS scholarship holder who is not eligible for this year. He is around 195 cm i believe and plays as a CHF/CHB and has wonderful hands and running ability. I watched him play against my school in the APS before he injured his knee meaning he missed the carnival. Anyone else know of him? thoughts?
Can tell you he has opted to nominate for this years draft in an attempt to avoid going to the Gold Coast next year. Will be a huge steal for any club that can get him with a third round selection or later as he would be in the first round next year.
Saints should be interested. His father Bob played for them. Did'nt make it to 100 games though."

"glory man: In the next 2 years i will only think 2 or 3 players would be a chance of getting drafted.
2009 Liam Jones- Son of former st kilda player, Bob Jones. liam is a member of the AIS team and got awarded a scholarship to a school in melbourne. He is quick, very tall, Has the best set of hands for set of hands in the state for a young kid behind Cornelius ofcourse, but if he was still down in Tassie he would have been a nice player to have in the SFL team. Could get drafted stil this year but has had knee troubles and he had to pull out of the under 18s team, so that would have hurten his chances."

Sockeye Salmon
01-12-2008, 08:48 AM
Jordan Roughead stuff

Jordan Roughead - (R / KPF) 3 November 1990, 199cm 87kg. VicC/North Ballarat Rebels/Lake Wendouree

"Jason McCartney: Jordan Roughead – Playing against Naitanui, he didn’t get the same stats but managed to sneak forward for a goal. He competed really well early but what grabbed my attention, and it did against NSW/ACT as well, was his strength in the air. He's got a great overhead grab and good agility so he appears to have a promising future."

"???: Cousin of Hawthorn’s Jarryd, a good-sized mobile ruckman."

"HFF 07: Jordan Roughead 199cm 87kg RUCK/FF North Ballarat
Ruckmen who has a great leap and solid ruck skills, is competitive and is pretty mobile for a big guy, Has ample skills and is a good size to play AFL.
PROS: - Ruck skills, Leap, Agile/Mobile,
CONS: - Skinny, Pace (not sure how quick he is),
PREDICTION: 15 - 30"

"foj1:: 5. Jordan Roughead 199cm 87kg Vic Country
Roughead has improved markedly in the last year and is another player with a basketball background. Used predominantly in the ruck where he showcases his athleticism in ruck contests and around the ground. Rougheads hands continue to improve and is a dangerous player in the forward line. Roughead has wide shoulders and will develop into an imposing athlete after a few AFL preseasons."

"ant555: Jordan Roughead – 199cm, 87kg – North Ballarat.
Ruckman who possess a pretty good leap and good ruck skills. Gives a contest all day and is good around the ground. He is a solid mark and has nice right foot kicking skills. Is pretty mobile and gets to where he needs to be. Likes to push back into defence and fill the space. His pace is nothing to write home about but he can match it with most ruckmen. Have seen a couple of TAC Cup games where he has dropped a few marks that he should have taken.
Prediction – pick 12 to 40."