By end of 2009 or 2010, the you'd think the following players won't be with us:

Acker
Welsh
Johnno
Hudson
Eagleton
Wight
Skipper

Now that we know what our list looks like for 2009, are we now well covered to cover their loss?

Will one of the young ruckman be ready to play?

And how will our style of play change as we add genuine tall targets to the forward line?

LostDoggy
29-11-2008, 01:05 PM

Chance they are ready to play, off the bench or resting up forward. Neither draftees and possibly none of the rookies should play ruck just yet in the afl.
Its possibly the hardest physical position in the game and I don't want under developed kids through at the wolves, Josh Fraser style. I don't think Carlton did a good thing in putting Kruezer there for much of the season.

GVGjr
29-11-2008, 01:12 PM
By end of 2009 or 2010, the you'd think the following players won't be with us:

Acker
Welsh
Johnno
Hudson
Eagleton
Wight
Skipper

Now that we know what our list looks like for 2009, are we now well covered to cover their loss?

And how will our style of play change as we add genuine tall targets to the forward line?

Akermanis will be gone by the end of 2009 and I suspect that Welsh will as well.
Johnno and Hudson will play on until the end of 2010 and 2009 will be the last season for Skipper, Wight and Eagleton barring some miracle.

We are well placed to cover this now.

I think the young ruckman will be capable of playing a supporting role if needed.

The game style won't change too much even with some taller targets.

Scorlibo
29-11-2008, 01:53 PM
Here is a side I have put together of players with births in '83 or later (effectively players who will be under 30 as of 2013)

F - Harbrow - Grant - O'Keefe
HF - Hill - Cordy - Jones
C - Higgins - Cross (C) - Ward
HB - Reid - Everitt - Addison
B - Tiller - Williams - Callan
Fo - Minson - Cooney - Griffen
I - Roughead - Stack - Wood - Boumann

I like it. Presumably some of the younger ones won't make it, but then there will be some veterans as well which I haven't included.

bulldogtragic
29-11-2008, 03:28 PM
Akermanis will be gone by the end of 2009 and I suspect that Welsh will as well.
Johnno and Hudson will play on until the end of 2010 and 2009 will be the last season for Skipper, Wight and Eagleton barring some miracle.

We are well placed to cover this now.

I think the young ruckman will be capable of playing a supporting role if needed.

The game style won't change too much even with some taller targets.
I agree that 5 will go next year, which makes me wish harded we had the cash to get rid of Wight.

Hopefully Ogle will be ok and be elevated next year, making it four senior spots opening up. With Minson, Hudson for a year, Roughy and Ayce i'd be suprised to see our rookie rucks be elevated. I'd hope we can find another rookie (or two, money permitting) that could be elevated.

4 to 5 spots in a comprimised draft is far from ideal. I would love to know our early direction for the list if we do move 5 on next year.

azabob
29-11-2008, 03:32 PM
I agree that 5 will go next year, which makes me wish harded we had the cash to get rid of Wight.

Hopefully Ogle will be ok and be elevated next year, making it four senior spots opening up. With Minson, Hudson for a year, Roughy and Ayce i'd be suprised to see our rookie rucks be elevated. I'd hope we can find another rookie (or two, money permitting) that could be elevated.

4 to 5 spots in a comprimised draft is far from ideal. I would love to know our early direction for the list if we do move 5 on next year.

From my understanding isn't the only compromise in the 2009 draft the age limit has been changed?

soupman
29-11-2008, 03:35 PM

Um, is the maximum amount of time a rookie can be held on your rookie list 2 years? Because if it is, then that suggests that at the end of next year we will have to decide whether we want to promote them or delist them.

So really the plan would see us promoting 1 or 2 of them, giving us 3/4 picks.

Go_Dogs
30-11-2008, 11:56 AM
Um, is the maximum amount of time a rookie can be held on your rookie list 2 years? Because if it is, then that suggests that at the end of next year we will have to decide whether we want to promote them or delist them.

So really the plan would see us promoting 1 or 2 of them, giving us 3/4 picks.

You can delist them and re-rookie them as I understand it, but it gives another club the chance to pounce.

Mofra
01-12-2008, 10:19 AM
Here is a side I have put together of players with births in '83 or later (effectively players who will be under 30 as of 2013)

F - Harbrow - Grant - O'Keefe
HF - Hill - Cordy - Jones
C - Higgins - Cross (C) - Ward
HB - Reid - Everitt - Addison
B - Tiller - Williams - Callan
Fo - Minson - Cooney - Griffen
I - Roughead - Stack - Wood - Boumann

I like it. Presumably some of the younger ones won't make it, but then there will be some veterans as well which I haven't included.
Fair list, assuming we don't elevate any rookies (which you'd hope at least 1 makes the grade). Haven't given up on Lynch either.
We look pretty strong for rucks too.