PDA

View Full Version : Draft Day winners and losers?

Dry Rot
29-11-2008, 01:51 PM
Any clubs you thought did overly well given their picks? And did any clubs stuff up a selection or two?

Mantis
29-11-2008, 01:56 PM
West Coast did well getting Swift at 20.... Well so I have been told.

Scorlibo
29-11-2008, 02:24 PM
I think Carlton has done well. I had all of Yarran, Robinson and O'Keefe in my top 20 players going into the draft. Port Adelaide also with the Trengove steal and then two very solid picks in Banner and Broadbent.

bulldogsman
29-11-2008, 02:36 PM
Fremantle made some strange picks, maybe rating players to highly (Hill, Ballentyne)

Carlton did well with the picks they had

LostDoggy
29-11-2008, 02:52 PM
I think Collingwood got a "Steele" with Steele Sidebottom falling outside the top 10..

GVGjr
29-11-2008, 03:08 PM
Given the depth of the draft I think everyone would be happy. I agree that Freo's selections were a little surprising.

KT31
29-11-2008, 03:25 PM
Roughhead at 31 and three talls to build a team around and also it being the last Clayton draft, I think we are onto a winner.

bulldogtragic
29-11-2008, 03:30 PM
Many had Roughead as a very early second rounder.
Many had Ayce top 5 if not father-son.
Jones looks like a possible talent.

I'd say we were a winner today.

GVGjr
30-11-2008, 08:43 AM
Adelaide are a clear winner in my book.
Davis the local boy is the key defender that could play some senior football
McKernan is a key forward who can do some ruck work
Sloane is a hard working midfielder
and to top if off the land Tom Lee who was on our radar as a marking forward and a big versatile tall in Will Young

I'd almost give them an A+ for that effort. McKernan lasting to their 2nd pick was gold for them.

Of the others I thought North did very well as did West Coast.

mjp
30-11-2008, 11:33 AM
Brisbane got the best player in the draft at pick 7. I think that makes them the winners!

azabob
30-11-2008, 12:07 PM
Emma Quayle's view on our picks from The Sunday Age;

So maybe Clayton & Co. did do well.

"Only three picks for the Bulldogs, but they are up there with Adelaide as my big winners. Ayce Cordy — at 202 centimetres, with his agility — is a unique player. Roughead could easily prove the best ruckmen of this pool — his actual ruck work is a highlight — and Jones will take some developing, but is a very talented, smart player. Add these three young talls to Jarrad Grant and Jarrad Boumann, and surely two or three will come through."

Go_Dogs
30-11-2008, 01:13 PM
Quite a few winners, Adelaide as mentioned, I think Essendon, Carlton, Brisbane, Port and West Coast all did really well too.

Going to be exciting watching this crop develop, it seems to be the best and most intriguing draft ever.

LostDoggy
30-11-2008, 01:29 PM
No winners or losers yet. You could have 1 pick and he could turn out to be the next Whitten. Everyone that had a chance to pick him then becomes a loser.

LostDoggy
30-11-2008, 01:33 PM
I think the likes of Hislop and Davenport will turn out to be great selections. The bottom end of the draft, they are talented players with a few years under their belts, almost ready to step up to the starting 22's of their respective clubs.

mighty_west
30-11-2008, 03:16 PM
Every player selected is a winner!

It's now up to each and every one to make the most of the chance they have.

bornadog
30-11-2008, 03:56 PM
Every player selected is a winner!

It's now up to each and every one to make the most of the chance they have.

Wouldn't we all loved to have been in that position when we were 17/18:)

dog town
30-11-2008, 06:21 PM
Adelaide are a clear winner in my book.
Davis the local boy is the key defender that could play some senior football
McKernan is a key forward who can do some ruck work
Sloane is a hard working midfielder
and to top if off the land Tom Lee who was on our radar as a marking forward and a big versatile tall in Will Young

I'd almost give them an A+ for that effort. McKernan lasting to their 2nd pick was gold for them.

Of the others I thought North did very well as did West Coast. I reckon Sloane will be a ripper. Just a very smart and disciplined footballer. Could be a very good defender or even a defensive midfielder.

GVGjr
30-11-2008, 06:49 PM
I reckon Sloane will be a ripper. Just a very smart and disciplined footballer. Could be a very good defender or even a defensive midfielder.

I doubt he has that star quality about him but yes he should be able to switch between attacking and defensive midfield duties.

Cyberdoggie
01-12-2008, 01:05 AM
Brisbane got the best player in the draft at pick 7. I think that makes them the winners!

i found it odd that that he wasn't picked earlier.

He'll have a Rhyce Palmer year next year while those other skinny kids are playing vfl/wafl/sanfl and everyone will be talking about how those clubs could not select him.

Interesting that we picked another 3 talls. I'd say we will be looking for the smaller guys in the rookie draft for sure now wouldn't we?

Mofra
01-12-2008, 10:08 AM
Interesting that we picked another 3 talls. I'd say we will be looking for the smaller guys in the rookie draft for sure now wouldn't we?
Maybe Liam Picken has already trained well enough to earn his spot as a rookie. He sounds like a Boyd/Morris type, although admittedly I haven't seen him first hand.

Twodogs
01-12-2008, 11:59 AM
Maybe Liam Picken has already trained well enough to earn his spot as a rookie. He sounds like a Boyd/Morris type, although admittedly I haven't seen him first hand.

How many 'Boyd/Morris' types can we have in one team though? I'd reckon we are at our upper limit now and the two we have are almost the best 'under elite skilled' players in the AFL ATM(If that description makes any sense at all).

Sockeye Salmon
01-12-2008, 03:11 PM
Sharples and Sengstock for the rookie draft?

GVGjr
01-12-2008, 03:47 PM

I know we were interested in Sengstock earlier in the year and he would be a good addition.

ledge
01-12-2008, 04:32 PM
I know we were interested in Sengstock earlier in the year and he would be a good addition.

Is there a reason we lost interest?

GVGjr
01-12-2008, 05:11 PM
Is there a reason we lost interest?

Just because we in the end didn't have enough draft picks.

Rookie list would be a good spot for him.

azabob
01-12-2008, 06:51 PM

What type of players are Sharples and Sengstock?

I know this is for next year but will we look to father son Mitch Wallis and Tom Liberatore?

Sockeye Salmon
01-12-2008, 07:07 PM
What type of players are Sharples and Sengstock?

I know this is for next year but will we look to father son Mitch Wallis and Tom Liberatore?

Sharples is a quick indigenous player from the NT who tackles anything that moves Liberatore-style.

Sengstock is a 191cm Tom Hurley-style defender that likes to mark 3rd man up (another way of saying he zones off and plays loose).

Sockeye Salmon
01-12-2008, 07:08 PM

I'm not sure about Liberatore but I understand the club really rates Mitch Wallis

azabob
01-12-2008, 09:30 PM
I'm not sure about Liberatore but I understand the club really rates Mitch Wallis

When I was a kid I remember watching Steve Wallis and just thinking how good is this bloke? To me he was one of those players who would've been highly regarded in his own club but maybe not outside.
Correct me if im wrong im fairly sure he was the one who delivered the perfect yet fair hip and shoulder on the W/C player (Chris Lewis?) just before half time which lead to the "subiaco brawl" ?

GVGjr
01-12-2008, 09:43 PM
When I was a kid I remember watching Steve Wallis and just thinking how good is this bloke? To me he was one of those players who would've been highly regarded in his own club but maybe not outside.
Correct me if im wrong im fairly sure he was the one who delivered the perfect yet fair hip and shoulder on the W/C player (Chris Lewis?) just before half time which lead to the "subiaco brawl" ?

He got Brett Heady. He cleaned up a few over the years with a hip and shoulder including Hickmont.

Steve McPherson was on Lewis that day

azabob
02-12-2008, 01:10 PM
He got Brett Heady. He cleaned up a few over the years with a hip and shoulder including Hickmont.

Steve McPherson was on Lewis that day

Yeah couldnt remember, well Super probably gave Lewis a right hook anyway.

ledge
02-12-2008, 01:19 PM
Wasnt Lewis signed to the Bulldogs until the Eagles came along?

mighty_west
02-12-2008, 01:46 PM
How many 'Boyd/Morris' types can we have in one team though? I'd reckon we are at our upper limit now and the two we have are almost the best 'under elite skilled' players in the AFL ATM(If that description makes any sense at all).

Sydney won a Premiership with half a team of those sorts of players.

Mofra
02-12-2008, 01:56 PM
Sydney won a Premiership with half a team of those sorts of players.
Bingo. Team players > flashy types every time.

ledge
02-12-2008, 02:02 PM
I was a flashy player, run around in circles get one kick then dissappear for the rest of the game.
Even did the famous kick it the wrong way once.

bornadog
02-12-2008, 07:12 PM
Yeah couldnt remember, well Super probably gave Lewis a right hook anyway.

after Lewis bit him