PDA

View Full Version : NAB Cup in reach as Grant beats OP

Scraggers
03-12-2008, 10:09 PM
NAB Cup in reach as Grant beats OP

http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/images/AFL/AFL%20U-Z/JGrant_draft07_246a.jpg

By Jennifer Witham
11:03 AM Wed 03 December, 2008

WESTERN Bulldogs forward Jarrad Grant has his sights set on next year's NAB Cup, having overcome the bout of osteitis pubis that ruined his debut season.

Grant, 19, managed seven games for Williamstown seniors before he was cut down by an early onset of the debilitating groin condition in late May.

He resumed running in September and is now on track to participate in the Bulldogs' pre-season campaign, which kicks off on February 13 against Essendon in Darwin.

"I've been in the gym a fair bit, trying to put on some kilos and just doing a lot of core work and trying to get the muscles around my groin area stronger and to function better, so it doesn't occur again," he told westernbulldogs.com.au.

"Now it's good. I haven't had any pain, any soreness, and I'm just keeping a close eye on it and trying to get all the recovery bits right to fix it up.

"I'll just get through training and see how that goes, then hopefully I can have a run around in the NAB Cup next year."

Grant was selected by the Bulldogs at No. 5 in the 2007 NAB AFL Draft and is yet to make his debut.

GVGjr
03-12-2008, 10:17 PM
There seems to be a bit of hype building on Grant and the season ahead. I wonder if that is a good thing?

Based on what I saw of him at Williamstown I think he will find it a big hurdle to string a few games of senior footy with the Dogs next season.

Scraggers
04-12-2008, 09:46 AM
There seems to be a bit of hype building on Grant and the season ahead. I wonder if that is a good thing?

Based on what I saw of him at Williamstown I think he will find it a big hurdle to string a few games of senior footy with the Dogs next season.

That's true ... after I posted this article about Grant, I found another two ... I think he will be a great player for us one day, but I don't think 2009 will be his break through year.

Did he not travel to the USA with the rest of the team? He seems available for a lot of interviews ... or is it just the one interview re-hashed 15 different ways?

Dry Rot
04-12-2008, 10:10 AM
Has he beefed up much?

GVGjr
04-12-2008, 10:39 AM
Has he beefed up much?

He said on one of the other articles that he has put on a few KG.

GVGjr
04-12-2008, 10:41 AM
That's true ... after I posted this article about Grant, I found another two ... I think he will be a great player for us one day, but I don't think 2009 will be his break through year.
Did he not travel to the USA with the rest of the team? He seems available for a lot of interviews ... or is it just the one interview re-hashed 15 different ways?

I'd be happy enough with his progress if his form warranted him to play 5 senior games.

I would have thought that a trip to the US would have been very likely. Not sure if this is just a co-ordinated press release.

Mofra
04-12-2008, 11:21 AM
I'd be happy to let him develop slowly. We put far too much emphasis on getting kids trying to play with fully developed men these days, especially talls who are years of normal physical maturity, let alone their AFL-ready physical peak .

ledge
04-12-2008, 01:51 PM
Now comes the age old question do we build him up and he loses his agillity but can hold his ground, or do we leave him a little skinny so he can be like a whippet and lead like a flash.
Example the great KT, we built him up and his knees went, the one part you cant build up.
Its a fine line.
The same can be said for Cordy, there are naturally big built guys and there are naturally skinny players.
Buddy is naturally a big boy, as is Casey Sibasodo.
I am a big believer in the big boned theory.

Dancin' Douggy
05-12-2008, 05:46 PM
Now comes the age old question do we build him up and he loses his agillity but can hold his ground, or do we leave him a little skinny so he can be like a whippet and lead like a flash.
Example the great KT, we built him up and his knees went, the one part you cant build up.
Its a fine line.
The same can be said for Cordy, there are naturally big built guys and there are naturally skinny players.
Buddy is naturally a big boy, as is Casey Sibasodo.
I am a big believer in the big boned theory.

Is there any chance at all of rookying Sibosado?

Desipura
06-12-2008, 09:57 AM
The Crows were reportedly were keen to get him in the Nov draft and then phoned him up and apologised for not drafting him. I would be very surprised if he was not picked up as a rookie with their first pick.

Dancin' Douggy
07-12-2008, 01:15 PM
Do we have any rookie picks at the moment?

GVGjr
07-12-2008, 01:35 PM
Do we have any rookie picks at the moment?

I believe we will be taking two rookies.