View Full Version : Greetings from Arizona

bornadog
04-12-2008, 07:43 PM
Greetings from Arizona
1:15 PM Thu 04 December, 2008
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/Arizona20-20screen20316.jpg
Bulldogs in Arizona
By James Fantasia, GM – Football, from Arizona, USA

The Western Bulldogs pre-season training programme has taken a different look in preparation for season 2009. This has included taking the full playing group to one of the world’s leaders in elite sporting education and training.

Over a number of years now the club has been persisting with raising funds and working toward the idea of exposing its playing group and staff to world class educational experiences.

With great support from key people such as Western Bulldogs Patron and Director Sue Alberti, a delegation of supporters, Director Barry Hall, Glenn Preusker, Stuart Coffield, Grant Egan and Levent Shevki along with players and currently situated staff contributing to the pre-season education and training camp; the team has spent the past few days at the Arizona State University.

The Athletes Performance Centre based in Phoenix, Arizona has been the corner stone to the educational experience which has included exposure to other sports such as American Gridiron, NBA Basketball and NHL Ice Hockey. Further to this the players have been completing regular football training sessions at the Arizona State University and will be hiking through the Grand Canyon adding to its pre-season training and preparation.

The team has also spent time in the class room finetuning its educational sessions centred on team play, tactics and its game plans heading into season 2009. The Western Bulldogs commenced the Leading Teams program in season 2008 and have recommenced this program through the pre-season education and training camp with sessions being facilitated by leading teams’ facilitator Craig Biddiscombe who is also on tour.

The travelling party has included 40 players, Coaches, Medical staff and Senior Administrators including CEO Campbell Rose. This has also provided a vehicle for most areas of the clubs football operations to work closely together and experience this unique educational opportunity as a complete club experience.

A summary of the highlights to date include:

Day 1
The first day included a solid travel schedule that saw the team depart at 12.15pm from Melbourne to travel some 15 hours before arriving in Los Angeles at 7.30am. A further 5 hour wait was required before flying from LA to Phoenix arriving in the afternoon at the same time they left on the same day. One of the marvels of travelling around the world time zone! This followed a light training run and stretch for the playing group before heading to the ASU Sun Devils v UCLA Bruins Gridiron football match. The college match played at the famous Sun Devil Stadium was attended by 60,000 spectators and was a great spectacle and experience for the players.

Day 2
The day started with breakfast followed by another light training session, stretching and mobility exercises. The afternoon included weights and recovery session and a chance for the group to rest for before heading to the class room for some sit down sessions. Craig Biddiscombe commenced the Leading Teams program and was followed by the coaches’ line presentations, team play and tactics educational session.

Day 3
Our first real football training session was held at Tempe and was keenly watched by the local AFL team the Arizona Hawks. The local boys were over the moon with the opportunity of watching the training session and meeting our playing group. The afternoon included another weights session and recovery at the local swimming pool. With temperatures consistently at 25 degrees the weather has been testing for the playing group with the boys responding well to the conditions. The evening included further class room activities based around the Leading Teams program and further game plan education. The players attended the NBA match between the Phoenix Suns and New Jersey Nets with the highlight of watching Shaquille O’Neil strut his stuff.

Day 4
The commencement of the Athletes Performance program saw the team split into four groups and attend world leading facilities. The group under went training techniques in power, strength and mobility, combined with a nutritional educational program, recovery techniques, and hydrotherapy work. Whilst at the facility the players also had the opportunity of meeting NBA and League Baseballers that were there for individual training instruction. The evening’s team dinner was sponsored by Stuart Coffield of Bulldogs Travel and the players were treated to some of the finest steaks Arizona has to offer.

Day 5
The second day of the Athletes Performance program. Members of the touring party visited the home of the Arizona Cardinals at the university of Phoenix stadium the home of the 2007 super bowl. The $450 million dollar facility was a great example of a modern engineering marvel with the retractable roof and role in role out grass playing arena. The state of the art facility seats 62,000 and is the jewel in the crown of sporting stadiums in Arizona. The evening was a highlight with the team attending the Arizona Coyotes v LA Kings NHA Ice Hockey match. The team was acknowledged to the crowd of 20,000 through the game and proved to be a great experience for our players and officials.

Day 6
The morning included another solid football session combined with a running and conditioning segment. The staff of Athlete Performance were invited to take part in the warm up and skill session and were pleasantly surprised at the level of skill and endurance required to play our game. A new level of respect was evident by this involvement.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/Arizona201.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/Arizona202.jpg

LostDoggy
04-12-2008, 08:02 PM
So not every player went, who stayed back?
I have seen people training at Whitten oval, but does not know who.

Does anyone know who stayed back?

LostDoggy
04-12-2008, 08:16 PM
Crickey, I saw Cam Wight in the photo ....... surely they didnt pay for him to go?

LOL

ledge
04-12-2008, 08:22 PM
If anyone needs to go its Cam Wight!

Mantis
04-12-2008, 09:10 PM
Sounds like they are fitting in plenty during there stay. Plenty of training mixed in with seeing other high level sports.

I think it would have been good if they had paid for a journo from one of the papers to go with them so that we could get some air time in the press. Most clubs and supporters would be unaware that we are even over there such has been the lack of publicity.

Dogs 24/7
04-12-2008, 09:39 PM
I think it would have been good if they had paid for a journo from one of the papers to go with them so that we could get some air time in the press. Most clubs and supporters would be unaware that we are even over there such has been the lack of publicity.

The club shouldn't have to pay a journo to go because if they package it correctly the story would sell itself. No paper likes being scooped by it's rivals.
In my opinion the media manager of the club is missing a golden opportunity with sites like this by not building up story before, during and after and adding snippets of information to both their own site and say this one. The more Bulldogs fans that know what the club is doing and the preparation for the season ahead, the more they bring themselves and the supporters closer together.
It doesn't have to cost much because using other sites like this one will get the message out and about.

Why not offer some supporters the chance to go along (self funded) to a trip like this and report back via westernbulldogs.com and WOOF? I'm sure their would have been a handful of supporters who would love the opportunity to see the guys go through their paces while having an overseas holiday themselves.

There is a heap of cost effective opportunities for the club but I'm not sure they know how to harness them.

Happy Days
04-12-2008, 10:24 PM
Correct me inf I'm wrong, but is that Ayce Cordy I see in the first picture wearing #48?

GVGjr
04-12-2008, 10:30 PM
Correct me inf I'm wrong, but is that Ayce Cordy I see in the first picture wearing #48?

When I first saw it I thought it was Cordy or Wight. Looks more like Cordy.

Cyberdoggie
05-12-2008, 09:37 AM
When I first saw it I thought it was Cordy or Wight. Looks more like Cordy.

Looks like Cordy to me too.

LostDoggy
05-12-2008, 09:53 AM
Cordy has gone to Arizona with the boys though....must be an old photo.

Mantis
05-12-2008, 10:00 AM
Cordy has gone to Arizona with the boys though....must be an old photo.

The photo being discussed is of the boys training in Arizona.

Dancin' Douggy
05-12-2008, 11:18 AM
WOW! I can't believe day 2 started with breakfast!

Rocket Science
05-12-2008, 11:34 AM

Might be the wunderkind Cordy, but it looks more like Cam Wight to me...the backwards baseball cap has long been an integral piece of Cam's signature look, both on-field and off.

...and to continue todays dose of pedantry:

"The evening was a highlight with the team attending the Arizona Coyotes v LA Kings NHA Ice Hockey match. The team was acknowledged to the crowd of 20,000 through the game and proved to be a great experience for our players and officials."

Shades of Tim Webster there...Tremendous the boys got along to a hockey game, but it's the Phoenix Coyotes who hosted them, who incidentally participate in the National Hockey League.

And "crowd of 20,000"?...The poor ol' Yotes habitually struggle to crack 14k, it's a longstanding problem for them.

That is all.

LostDoggy
05-12-2008, 04:38 PM
I believe that is Andreas boxing with Kostya. :confused:

If so he is filling out quite nicely. :)

ledge
05-12-2008, 06:56 PM
whos the poor bloke who has just been knocked out by the looks of it.

GVGjr
05-12-2008, 07:56 PM
whos the poor bloke who has just been knocked out by the looks of it.

Bryza Lake

The Coon Dog
06-12-2008, 07:34 AM
US camp has Dogs on a high (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24758039-19742,00.html)

Rebecca Williams - December 06, 2008

THERE have been trips to NBA, college football and national ice hockey matches and happy snaps at the Grand Canyon.

But Western Bulldogs captain Brad Johnson says the club's US adventure has been anything but a holiday.

The Bulldogs have spent the past week on a high-altitude training camp in Tempe, Arizona, drawing on the world-class facilities at Arizona State University.

The team was introduced to training techniques in power, strength and mobility, combined with recovery techniques and hydrotherapy work, at Tempe's leading Athletes' Performance Centre.

"We have had a great experience, that's for sure," Johnson said from Arizona yesterday.

"We have worked really hard and we have learnt a few different things.

"We got to the gridiron to watch a university game and then we went to watch the Phoenix Suns play basketball and the Arizona Coyotes to watch the ice hockey, which was great to watch live.

"So we have done the fun things, but during the day we have worked extremely hard."

Johnson rated the team's hike through the Grand Canyon yesterday, part of their altitude program, as a highlight of the trip.

"It was amazing and all the boys had the cameras out and were pretty pumped to get as many photos as they could because it could be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity," he said.

"Going down was easy, but coming back up was a bit tougher.

"That's the good thing about these trips. It really is massive for team bonding and unity. We certainly worked hard together and we pushed each other through.

"Everyone gets to the top and you feel pretty good because your teammates have been there to push you along."

The camp is a first for the Bulldogs, but Johnson was confident it would pay dividends for the club next year.

"It was a bit of the unknown coming over here. We didn't know what we would get out of it, being the first time here," he said.

"But . . . we can bring a few things home that might give an edge going into next season."

Johnson, in his 16th pre-season at the Dogs, said he felt as fit as ever and thanked the club's young pups for helping keep him on his toes.

"It's going fantastic," Johnson said. "I feel as good as I probably ever have."

bornadog
07-12-2008, 10:31 AM
Crickey, I saw Cam Wight in the photo ....... surely they didnt pay for him to go?

LOL

I know you said that with tongue in cheek, but I would like to start a fresh with Cam Wight for next season. Lets get over it, he is on the list, he has to work hard if he is going to make something out of a career. One thing with Cam Wight, he never stops trying his guts out. He may not have the talent we wish for such a tall agile man, but he does try very hard.

Hopefully, the camp will help him assess where he is at, as he has the biggest opportunity to try and get a spot in this team lacking quality talls.

mighty_west
07-12-2008, 05:01 PM

LOL

Gotta give Wighty some bonus points for getting on the big screen at the Ice Hockey dancing with the cheer leaders & stealing the show!!!

Onya Wighty..

Aker was also captured on screen wearing an Ice Hockey jersey with the number 21 & Akermanis name on the back - only Aker can pull that off!!!....:D

BulldogBelle
07-12-2008, 06:49 PM
One thing with Cam Wight, he never stops trying his guts out. He may not have the talent we wish for such a tall agile man, but he does try very hard.

That is true he never stops trying - I hope he really does well in 09 - he really loves the Bulldogs and wants to cememt his spot in the side.

bornadog
08-12-2008, 11:22 PM
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/Arizona208.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/Arizona209.jpg

LostDoggy
09-12-2008, 03:28 PM
I was there in September/October and I have photos exactly the same

mighty_west
09-12-2008, 07:58 PM
This pic from the Hun, with a shot of the group on the large screen during an Ice Hockey game....

Can anyone work out the players apart from Crossy & Aker?

http://img34.picoodle.com/img/img34/3/12/9/f_CCF12072008m_0a6a8b3.jpg