PDA

View Full Version : Liam Picken - A Worthy Rookie?

The Doctor
07-12-2008, 08:12 PM
Liam Picken, it seems, is the only player we have training at the club in the hope of landing a rookie listing. He tried last year but didn't make it. What's different this year?

A rookie still has to be able to offer some credible hope that he would make it as an AFL player. I wouldn't like to recruit him simply because he is a good player at Willi and it would be the right thing to do and good for our relationship with them. I think we did this with Condos a few years ago at Werribee which turned out to be a disaster as it was a number 1 rookie pick and we missed Aaron Davey in the process.

Do the Seadog watchers think Liam Picken would be worthy of a rookie spot and why?

mighty_west
07-12-2008, 08:36 PM
I think he would be a handy player that can slot straight in if required, pretty hard at it, i guess in a similar mould to Addison & Callan, i mean we are going to have quite a few rookies to develop anyway, might as well have a mature rookie on the list as back up.

Sockeye Salmon
07-12-2008, 08:39 PM
I think the question that needs to be asked is "if he was on our list last year, would he have got a game?"

comrade
07-12-2008, 08:54 PM
My theory on rookies is that you look for two types of player: either a fantastic athlete who will benefit from intensive skills training, or a natural footballer who will benefit from intensive fitness training. Some sort of X-Factor (ala Harbrow) would be nice, too.

Where does Picken fit in?

He's more of a natural footballer (he's not quick and his skills aren't elite though) and I'd actually prefer we went for a quick athlete, flanker type (a Clayton special), seeing as though we lost Ray and went tall in the draft.

I'd say yes to Picken only if there's no appropriate speedster available.

mighty_west
07-12-2008, 09:08 PM
I think the question that needs to be asked is "if he was on our list last year, would he have got a game?"

Well, thats what Rocket has to decide, I mean it worked out well for Dale Morris, and you can never have too many hard at it types.

GVGjr
07-12-2008, 09:11 PM
He's a good player that might make it if he got the opportunity but I don't think he has the ability to make a go of it like Morris and Boyd did. He just seems to lack that one or two strengths that most players need.

bulldogtragic
07-12-2008, 09:53 PM
I would prefer not. There are a few roughies still in the pool. I think it's worth trying our luck elsewhere.

Sockeye Salmon
07-12-2008, 11:20 PM
My theory on rookies is that you look for two types of player: either a fantastic athlete who will benefit from intensive skills training, or a natural footballer who will benefit from intensive fitness training. Some sort of X-Factor (ala Harbrow) would be nice, too.

Where does Picken fit in?

He's more of a natural footballer (he's not quick and his skills aren't elite though) and I'd actually prefer we went for a quick athlete, flanker type (a Clayton special), seeing as though we lost Ray and went tall in the draft.

I'd say yes to Picken only if there's no appropriate speedster available.

I actually think he's quick enough, I'm not sure he's good enough, especially his kicking.

I think he has 4 weeks hanging over his head from the preliminary final as well.

westdog54
08-12-2008, 11:06 AM
I actually think he's quick enough, I'm not sure he's good enough, especially his kicking.

I think he has 4 weeks hanging over his head from the preliminary final as well.

Which should only be an issue for Williamstown unless we needed to rpomote him in the first 4 weeks.

Sockeye Salmon
08-12-2008, 11:34 AM
Which should only be an issue for Williamstown unless we needed to rpomote him in the first 4 weeks.

Only in that he misses the opportunity to be in the bests for the first 4 rounds so if an injury does happen he's ready to go.

mighty_west
08-12-2008, 12:19 PM
The other point to Picken being rookied is, if that Willy are prepared to pay half for him to be rookied, and we can't afford that 7th rookie without that money, wouldn't he be better than not having that pick?

Twodogs
08-12-2008, 12:39 PM
The other point to Picken being rookied is, if that Willy are prepared to pay half for him to be rookied, and we can't afford that 7th rookie without that money, wouldn't he be better than not having that pick?

Why not just sell the spot on the rookie list to somebody then?

Desipura
08-12-2008, 01:26 PM
I would much prefer any of the following:

Tom Allwright solid HBF who can take a strong mark,

Charlie Sharples very quick small fwd or

Lane Daly (full fwd from Swan Dist) who is a bit of a freak as a rookie.

Their highlights package look impressive. The first 2 players mentioned were unlucky not to be picked up in the main draft. Then there is Luke Thompson (CHF from Geelong Falcons) who was very highly rated by Mick Turner

The Coon Dog
08-12-2008, 01:46 PM
Then there is Luke Thompson (CHF from Geelong Falcons) who was very highly rated by Mick Turner
Doesn't Mick Turner rate every Geelong Falcoln highly?

Sockeye Salmon
08-12-2008, 02:24 PM
I would much prefer any of the following:

Tom Allwright solid HBF who can take a strong mark,

Charlie Sharples very quick small fwd or

Lane Daly (full fwd from Swan Dist) who is a bit of a freak as a rookie.

Their highlights package look impressive. The first 2 players mentioned were unlucky not to be picked up in the main draft. Then there is Luke Thompson (CHF from Geelong Falcons) who was very highly rated by Mick Turner

I thought Tom Allwight was a better prospect than Mitch Robinson when I saw Tassie.

Sharples tackles everything in sight.

These two would be my choices if available.

Lance Daly = Nick Sautner IMO.

Doesn't Mick Turner rate every Geelong Falcoln highly?

Turner had 12 Falcons players as top 10 picks.

Desipura
08-12-2008, 02:52 PM
I thought Tom Allwight was a better prospect than Mitch Robinson when I saw Tassie.

Sharples tackles everything in sight.

These two would be my choices if available.

Lance Daly = Nick Sautner IMO.

But thats the thing SS, Daly may be a Sautner or he could be better!. The kid is a full fwd and he is only 17yo.
Would it not be better to get a full fwd who is only 17yo that may or may not be able to play the game as opposed to a battler who will only ever be a battler with average foot skills?
Allwright is more your 3rd man up in a marking contest type player with good skills and Robinson is more of a run and carry onballer IMHO.
Having said that Allwright would be one player that has the physique to play AFL straight away.

The Doctor
08-12-2008, 02:59 PM
But thats the thing SS, Daly may be a Sautner or he could be better!. The kid is a full fwd and he is only 17yo.
Would it not be better to get a full fwd who is only 17yo that may or may not be able to play the game as opposed to a battler who will only ever be a battler with average foot skills?

Daly is bottom age and cannot be rookied.

wb_age
08-12-2008, 11:07 PM
I agree on utilising the rookie spot on some x-factor.

My pick would go to Sharples or Casey Sibosado

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=e630UcTE5fE

GVGjr
13-12-2008, 07:20 AM
Well it seems that Picken will be selected. I'm not against adding a more mature rookie so I hope he can make the most of this opportunity.

The Coon Dog
13-12-2008, 08:34 AM
Well it seems that Picken will be selected. I'm not against adding a more mature rookie so I hope he can make the most of this opportunity.

Apparently Fremantle are looking at rookies with more maturity & Picken is also on their radar.

Desipura
16-12-2008, 09:19 AM
Daly is bottom age and cannot be rookied.
This is incorrect. Daly is a chance of being picked up in the rookie draft as stated by the AFL website today.
Allwright, Sibosado, Thompson there is some depth there...........

LostDoggy
16-12-2008, 11:42 AM
Got him

LostDoggy
16-12-2008, 11:44 AM
Went to the USA with the team. Imagine if someone else took him.

Ozza
16-12-2008, 11:54 AM
I'm absolutely stoked that Liam got picked up. A ripping young bloke who will do everything he can to make the most of his opportunity...thrilled he is a bulldog!

Twodogs
16-12-2008, 11:59 AM
Went to the USA with the team. Imagine if someone else took him.

If we werent going to pick him we could have just left him over there.:D

bornadog
16-12-2008, 12:39 PM
Liam is now being rewarded for his hard work. Hopefully he will progress to the next level and who knows what opportunity will come his way.

mighty_west
16-12-2008, 01:58 PM
He's a good player that might make it if he got the opportunity but I don't think he has the ability to make a go of it like Morris and Boyd did. He just seems to lack that one or two strengths that most players need.

I still think he was a worthy selection, we have 6 rookies now, 5 of which are developing types, with Picken as a mature age, a player that can come straight in if required.

Who knows if he has the ability to make it like Morris, Boyd etc, time will tell, Picken isn't blessed with terrific skills, but neither are Morris, Cross, Hahn etc, but at least we know that Picken is a hard worker, and is very much hard at it, i reckon he might suprise a few!

aker39
16-12-2008, 02:16 PM
A big positive about this selection is that it should help our relationship with Willy, and give guys playing there hope that they may make an AFL list

Dancin' Douggy
16-12-2008, 04:25 PM
I agree on utilising the rookie spot on some x-factor.

My pick would go to Sharples or Casey Sibosado

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=e630UcTE5fE

Ouch. That video hurts. He looks exactly EXACTLY like the player we need

bulldogtragic
16-12-2008, 04:32 PM
I'm not trying to bring the mood down at all, well done to Liam.

But does anyone else see the resemblence to the Condos rookie-ing.

I know there are many factors needing consideration, i'm just not too sure football ability was the sole determinant for his rookie listing.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-12-2008, 04:40 PM

We've actually got the balance right for once with KPF's, even though they're all young and inexperienced.

He does look like a talent though, it'll be interesting to see how he progresses.

GVGjr
16-12-2008, 06:29 PM

I know there are many factors needing consideration, i'm just not too sure football ability was the sole determinant for his rookie listing.

It's funny but someone else mentioned something very similar too me just the other day. The crux of it was that we apparently look a lot harder at players linked to our alignment sides than we ever do at the Western Jets boys and Condos was the example one of my mates used.

Mofra
16-12-2008, 07:13 PM
Too inconsistant according to some TAC watchers. We want someone who can contribute when things are going against them, not another downhill skiier.

mighty_west
16-12-2008, 07:25 PM

Besides the fact that Condos played for Werribee 2's & Picken for Willy, Condos was a light weight outside goal sneak and Picken a hard nosed, never say die attitute player that will give 110%, just like Dale Morris!

The resemblence being they both play for our aligned VFL side???? thats great, whats wrong with that?

Morris worked, Condos didn't, we should have taken Hudson as well.

LostDoggy
16-12-2008, 08:52 PM
we should have taken Hudson as well.

We ended up getting our man tho, which is great. I think we should have also rookied Michael Rockefeller last year as well, and i think we should still keep an eye on Jak Kennedy-Hunt, but hey the club knows a lot more than i do.

But Liam Picken is a great pick up for us i think, from the few Willy games ive seen im happy hes now a Bulldog.

Desipura
17-12-2008, 11:15 AM

Claytons comments about why we picked up Liam pretty sum up what you say.
Clayton's comments:

"With our partnership with Williamstown, both the Bulldogs and Williamstown were keen to pursue a player under that alignment, and we're pleased to get Liam Picken in that role.

No mention that he (Clayton) was keen to pick up Liam, more keen to pick up a player under the allignment.

mighty_west
11-07-2009, 01:21 PM

I think that might be a yes...:)

I must admit, as much as i thought he was a worthy rookie selection at the time, he has been far better than most of us have expected, well done Liam.

bulldogtragic
11-07-2009, 01:55 PM
No brainer now and happy to say so.

So much so state leagues will get a better look in i think for mature aged rookies. Nahas (god i hate that Nahas) too is doing welll from a long line of VFL players.

bornadog
11-07-2009, 03:00 PM

So much so state leagues will get a better look in i think for mature aged rookies. Nahas (god i hate that Nahas) too is doing welll from a long line of VFL players.

Those two goals he kicked last night, especially the last one were rippers. I don't think he had the perfect match up last night, the criminal brothers (Didak, Swan) were very slippery.

Happy Days
11-07-2009, 04:42 PM
I didn't think that highly of him last night.

Sure he kicked two nice goals, but he is in the team to tag, and he didn't do that.

AndrewP6
11-07-2009, 11:28 PM
I didn't think that highly of him last night.

Sure he kicked two nice goals, but he is in the team to tag, and he didn't do that.

Big call to claim we humble fans know what his job is in the team...sure, he's been a tagger, maybe the coaches asked him to get more involved in an attacking way...I thought he was good. Hard at it, players have to work to get by him...

Stefcep
12-07-2009, 12:05 AM
He's not a gifted`player, but he is determined and a real tough nut.

LostDoggy
12-07-2009, 12:19 AM
I think he kicking is a real asset, very rarely misses shots on goal.

soupman
12-07-2009, 01:31 AM
Reading through the criticism's in this thread, he seems to have already proven them all wrong. Not only is he quick and able to find the footy, but he is able to use it pretty well too. He's one of the few players I am very confident in within 55m of goal, and his second goal last night was just about the best goal of the night, it was an absolute ripper.

boydogs
12-07-2009, 07:48 PM
Reading through the criticism's in this thread, he seems to have already proven them all wrong. Not only is he quick and able to find the footy, but he is able to use it pretty well too. He's one of the few players I am very confident in within 55m of goal, and his second goal last night was just about the best goal of the night, it was an absolute ripper.

Maybe not wrong just not applicable any longer thanks to hard work and determination to improve. I think he will only get better gven this is his first season at AFL level

AndrewP6
12-07-2009, 07:50 PM
He's great, IMHO... love his work

Max469
12-07-2009, 08:01 PM

So much so state leagues will get a better look in i think for mature aged rookies. Nahas (god i hate that Nahas) too is doing well from a long line of VFL players.

Sorry just a little aside regarding the opposition, may I ask why you don't like Robin?

Although he plays for Richscum, I like watching him play, not afraid to go in after the ball.

Back to Liam - no problems there. Has been the right decision and he will only get better.

bulldogtragic
12-07-2009, 09:49 PM
Sorry just a little aside regarding the opposition, may I ask why you don't like Robin?

Although he plays for Richscum, I like watching him play, not afraid to go in after the ball.

Back to Liam - no problems there. Has been the right decision and he will only get better.
I just thought he was a smug so and so at Port and never much liked him.

Max469
12-07-2009, 10:24 PM
Thanks was just curious.

LostDoggy
13-07-2009, 12:11 AM
I just thought he was a smug so and so at Port and never much liked him.

His cousin is a bit of a babe : ) I used to work with her. Thought I'd just add that in. ;)