PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Open Training

bornadog
09-12-2008, 12:15 AM
Any one going?

Christmas Open Training Session
Saturday, 13th December
9am – 12pm

Come down to Whitten Oval on Saturday and watch the players go through their paces at pre-season training.
The morning's activities will include Woofer and Santa on site to meet all the young at heart supporters while a bouncy castle will keep them active.
For those who are yet to find the perfect gift for friends and family 2009 Bulldogs memberships will be available to purchase along with a variety of Bulldogs items at Bulldogs Central. Get your Bulldogs gear now for a full 2009 season!

Members of the playing group will be available to sign autographs at the end of their training session.

for westernbulldogs.com.au

LostDoggy
09-12-2008, 09:00 AM
I might take my little brother down and have a gander at the happenings..

Depends if i wanna get up early Saturday ;)

Desipura
12-12-2008, 09:43 AM
I will pop in to have a look at the boys tomorrow. Who else is going?

Stevo
12-12-2008, 09:50 AM
I think the weather might be a problem on Saturday. This from the Bureau of Meteorology

Heavy rain, easing to areas of rain around midday, becoming more widespread and heavy during the afternoon. Isolated thunderstorms from the morning. Winds northeast to northwesterly averaging up to 30 km/h tending southwesterly up to 55 km/h during the afternoon.

The Coon Dog
12-12-2008, 10:10 AM
I think the weather might be a problem on Saturday. This from the Bureau of Meteorology

Heavy rain, easing to areas of rain around midday, becoming more widespread and heavy during the afternoon. Isolated thunderstorms from the morning. Winds northeast to northwesterly averaging up to 30 km/h tending southwesterly up to 55 km/h during the afternoon.

Sounds like a typical day at the Whitten Oval to watch the footy.

Sockeye Salmon
12-12-2008, 12:04 PM

That brings back the memories.

Desipura
12-12-2008, 01:54 PM
slightly off topic........is it possible once the development is completely finished that we could play a NAB cup game in 2010?
Playing an interstate side in a NAB cup would be a great way to get members on side and perhaps attract some of the old diehards who used to go watch them at the Western Oval as Footscray.

GVGjr
12-12-2008, 02:10 PM
slightly off topic........is it possible once the development is completely finished that we could play a NAB cup game in 2010?
Playing an interstate side in a NAB cup would be a great way to get members on side and perhaps attract some of the old diehards who used to go watch them at the Western Oval as Footscray.

Isn't the capacity of the venue going to be about 1,500? I think there was a lot of stipulations about the development which rules out any games being played

As much as well all would love to see an AFL game there I cannot see it ever happening.

aker39
12-12-2008, 02:32 PM

The simple answer is AFL football will never be played at the Whitten Oval again.

Not Home & Away, Not NAB Cup

Desipura
12-12-2008, 03:26 PM
Isn't the capacity of the venue going to be about 1,500? I think there was a lot of stipulations about the development which rules out any games being played

As much as well all would love to see an AFL game there I cannot see it ever happening.
1,500 capacity!!!!!!!! If so, thats ridiculous. Where do we go watch the boys train when we are training at the Whitten Oval in our lead up to the grand final.
I'd hope that we would not miss out on watching the boys have a final run before the GF. Theyd have to relocate it to the Dome. I am a true optimist, Jerry take note.

aker39
12-12-2008, 03:30 PM
I'd hope that we would not miss out on watching the boys have a final run before the GF. Theyd have to relocate it to the Dome. I am a true optimist, Jerry take note.

Relocate it to Skinner Reserve, in the heart of the West

Dry Rot
13-12-2008, 01:09 PM
Any reports?

Twodogs
13-12-2008, 01:18 PM
Any reports?

Yeah. It hasnt stopped bucketing down for the last 24 hours and I didnt go!

GVGjr
13-12-2008, 01:19 PM
Good session at the club today and given the conditions, a decent crowd was there.

Some of the noticeable things were:

- Hahn, Hudson, Giansiracusa, Murphy and Lake I did not see on the track at all. There was a few others as well.

- Boumann, Skipper, Stack, Mulligan, Lynch, O'Shea, Cooney, Welsh and Mulligan on various modified sessions and mainly trained away from the main group. Ward trained with both the guys on the modified program and the main group.

- Sam Reid looked in ripping condition and in the early running drills was often in the first 3 (behind Cross and Wight). It was good to see him pushing himself to the front of the group.

- Easton Wood is a very strong build and was supporting a short hair style.

- The 3 draftees did a lot of work together and Roughead acquitted himself very well. Jones I think was feeling the pinch a bit and returned to the ELC before the running sessions were completed.

- Grant and Everitt were in the last few in just about every running group and obviously are on different training programs than the majority of players

- Gilbee and Johnson appeared to have lost a bit of weight but this was helping Johnson in particular who was often in or close to be in front of the lead running group.

- Addison has a strong upper body and still moves very well.

- Higgins looked good as did Williams who during a tug-of-war drill just monstered Josh Hill even when he was using just one hand.

- Liam Picken worked his backside off on every drill and Griffen really looked fit as well.

More will come to me shortly so I will post something a bit later.

Also caught up with fellow WOOF members in Sandy007 and Raw Toast.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-12-2008, 01:24 PM
* Johnson looks extremely fit. He was running first/second the whole time, and actually pipped Crossy in the last two runs. He looks in seriously good condition. Crossy was amazing too, pushes himself really hard all session long.

* Griffen looks pretty fit and strong, he ran pretty well too. Looks like he may have added a bit more strength. Great signs.

* Higgins ran pretty well, and looks as though he's benefitting from beginning the pre-season injury free.

* Harbrow trained well, he ran pretty hard - especially in the first half of the session. Looks as though he gives it his all, and in one of the few drills involving ball work, he was pretty sharp and lively.

* Everitt/Grant might be on a separate program, they didn't seem to kick out of first gear, appeared to be at the back of the pack every time but maybe they're under instruction not to push themselves too hard just yet? Either way, both need to put on more weight - particularly Grant.

* Ward looks promissing, he ran pretty well and looks a little bigger too. No doubt another full pre-season and training without school interferring will see him reap the rewards.

* Williams looks very fit. He was in the top four or so runners basically every time, and they did a hell of a lot of running. He seemed to be doing it pretty well too, not struggling at all. Looks in good shape.

That's all for now, I'm sure others who went will post information on others and share their opinions. Not a lot of ball work was done, they were slogged with a hell of a lot of running, it really was one of the most grueling sessions I've seen. The boys did well, they look in good shape and good spirits. If we're not the fittest team in '09, I'll be surprised.

GVGjr
13-12-2008, 01:27 PM
* Johnson looks extremely fit. He was running first/second the whole time, and actually pipped Crossy in the last two runs. He looks in seriously good condition. Crossy was amazing too, pushes himself really hard all session long.

How impressive was Cross? Nobody seemed to want to challenge him and on every run he pushed himself to the front of the group.

Johnson was a real winner, on one of the running drills he started a long back because he was talking to a trainer but worked his way to the middle of the group. From then on his running just got better and better.

LostDoggy
13-12-2008, 02:38 PM
Good report as usaul GVGjr.
Did OKeefe train today ?
Was a big fan of his this year at Willy played some great footy especially the 1st half of year.
He seems to read the play & use the ball very well.

dadsgirl16
13-12-2008, 02:51 PM
I just want to congratulate you guys for going!!I took one look out the bedroom window and went
straight back to bed
Good to hear the boys looked in good nick

bornadog
13-12-2008, 02:55 PM
I believe Reid has really built his body and looking like a Queensland Iron Man,

GVGjr
13-12-2008, 02:57 PM
Did OKeefe train today ?
Was a big fan of his this year at Willy played some great footy especially the 1st half of year.

Yes, O'Keefe trained today but seemed to be mostly in the middle of the pack and probably didn't stand out too much because his strength is more around using the ball well and reading the play rather than just training drills and a lot of running.

It will be interesting to see if he can keep making progress in 2009.

GVGjr
13-12-2008, 02:57 PM
I just want to congratulate you guys for going!!I took one look out the bedroom window and went
straight back to bed
Good to hear the boys looked in good nick

There was plenty of cover so it actually wasn't that bad. You could sit in the EJ Whitten stand and watch it.

One of the guys I met earlier in the day drove from Albury and left home at 4.30am...now that is commitment. He got to the ground a bit after 8.30am

Dry Rot
13-12-2008, 03:16 PM
Thanks all for the reports.

Always appreciated by those who are long range supporters.

The Coon Dog
13-12-2008, 04:11 PM
I forgot to take a camera but did notice a number there taking photos, so hopefully someone will post some.

It was interesting watch the players running up & down the stairs of the grandstand, never easy to do.

Just marveled at Johnno, not only up there showing the way, but very vocal at the end, encouraging the group as a whole. They really ran their backsides off.

Couldn't believe a bloke the size of Tom Williams could be up the front each & every time, only pipped by Johnno & Crossy.

Speaking to a few players afterwards & they all commented how draining the session was.

Got to give a huge pat on the back to the club for the manner in which they handled things after training. All players there today came into the foyer, grabbed a texta & signed all the kids jumpers, posters, caps etc... & were quite willing to have a chat.

Good to see so many supporters there.

It seems that there were many WOOF posters there today; it would be nice to have some way of recognising one another though.

mighty_west
13-12-2008, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the reports guys.

Really looking forward to a big year from Williams & Higgins, both need luck with injuries.

LostDoggy
13-12-2008, 04:27 PM
Yes, O'Keefe trained today but seemed to be mostly in the middle of the pack and probably didn't stand out too much because his strength is more around using the ball well and reading the play rather than just training drills and a lot of running.

It will be interesting to see if he can keep making progress in 2009.

Thanks GVG. Think another pre-season & more run in legs will do him the world of good.
Seemed very comfortable for a 1st year player at Vfl level.

GVGjr
13-12-2008, 04:31 PM
Thanks GVG. Think another pre-season & more run in legs will do him the world of good.
Seemed very comfortable for a 1st year player at Vfl level.

He did early in 2008 but seemed to find the 2nd half season a lot harder. He might be a player that has to work harder on his fitness than most.

What did you think of Easton Wood last season? He is one to watch next year.

BulldogBelle
13-12-2008, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the effort guys, a great read.

Had to vist a sick relo in hospital this morning so couldn't make it.

LostDoggy
13-12-2008, 05:34 PM
He did early in 2008 but seemed to find the 2nd half season a lot harder. He might be a player that has to work harder on his fitness than most.

What did you think of Easton Wood last season? He is one to watch next year.

Looks to be a exciting flashy sort of player who catches the eye a natural athlete who doesnt seem to win alot of the ball & will need to improve his decision making & disposal especially if he going to play half back/wing role.
Okeefe is the opposite a natural footballer who knows where to run & seems willing to run all day & does like a goal from what we saw last year.

I like the natural footballer as you can always work on the fitness just look at hodge.west,corey,bartel & mitchell etc.they seem to be the better players in the comp.
It's a lot harder to teach the smarts to athlete but thats the way the game seems to be going.
Thats why in the long run i think ward,grant & okeefe will be the pick of the crop from last year because those 3 seem to be the smart natural players.

bulldog
13-12-2008, 05:48 PM
I was really impressed with the guys today especially Daniel Cross this guy is a freak i have never seen a guy train as hard as thius bloke surely he is our next captain they way he sets the standard.really happy with Callan Ward has really bulked up and Griff and Johnno looked really fit i am putting some coin on Griff for the brownlow only dissapointing thing was Jarrad Grant doesnt seem to have put on any weight considerinhg he missed the last half of the season .

Raw Toast
13-12-2008, 06:51 PM
Great to see so many people there considering the weather, and fun to catch up with some WOOF bods as well.

Didn't notice too much as I arrived late and chatted as much as I looked on.

The session seemed pretty intense, and some players like Minson and the Eagle looked really stuffed by the end of it all. Tiller was one of those really geeing everyone up and seemed to be looking after Grand and Everitt a bit, Williams is massive, Johnno looked super-fit, Crossy set the pace without seeming like he was pushing himself that much at all, Higgins did look significantly bigger, and Harbrow was moving really well.

Can't wait for next year.

Happy Days
13-12-2008, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the reports lads, I completley forgot all about it :p.

Did Cordy train?

If so how did he look?

And were there any other potential rookies training?

The Bulldogs Bite
13-12-2008, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the reports lads, I completley forgot all about it :p.

Did Cordy train?

If so how did he look?

Cordy trained and handled himself OK. Ran up the stairs etc. and was doing well. Roughead did well for such a grueling session too, and he's already a good size. They both didn't complete all the run throughs, but that was more than understandable as there was a whole lot of them. Seemed to be getting on well too.

Cross is unbelievable; I admire his incredible work rate to continue pushing himself. I don't think I've ever seen somebody work as hard as he does, and for as long as he does. It was really pleasing to see Johnson keep Cross honest quite a few times though, especially at the end.

Williams deserves a second mention too, he really works hard and is super fit. He was probably third or fourth every time, it's pretty amazing for a guy his size.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-12-2008, 10:07 PM
only dissapointing thing was Jarrad Grant doesnt seem to have put on any weight considerinhg he missed the last half of the season .

I found that a little disappointing too, I must admit. I thought Grant would have added a few kgs, and even though I didn't see him up too close, it didn't look as though he had added any size. The positive is that he still has a few months to go before the NAB Cup.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-12-2008, 10:09 PM
Did OKeefe train today ?

IMO O'Keefe needs to work on his skills, he appears capable of getting enough of it, but at times he wastes a few. He does seem to know where to run and position himself though, so hopefully as Gary said, with a better fitness base he can improve his game.

Dogs 24/7
14-12-2008, 09:05 AM
IMO O'Keefe needs to work on his skills, he appears capable of getting enough of it, but at times he wastes a few. He does seem to know where to run and position himself though, so hopefully as Gary said, with a better fitness base he can improve his game.

O'Keefe's skills can go missing but he looks exciting when he gets a run of possessions. Getting his fitness base up will help him no end.

LostDoggy
14-12-2008, 09:23 AM
I saw O'Shea jogging laps yesterday and I was wondering if he is someone that could play for the Dogs in 2009 ? He is certainly a big boy and his body has filled out and upon hearing that Lake might not be available for the NAB cups games a spot for for one of the youngsters is now available.

I liked the look of the draftees and noticed that a lot of people asking about Jordan Roughead who cuts and impressive figure for someone so young.
Mulligan who trained with the rehab guys looks to be a superb athlete but would appear to be a long way off a senior spot although I believe that the rookies can play in the NAB cup if needed.
John Shaw just goes about his business and it's good to see him and White maintained.

Stars of the show yesterday were Cross and Johnson but the often maligned Cam Wight looked sharp and fit as well. Harbrow also looked stronger, tougher and significantly meaner than he did a few months back.

One thing that stood out was just how tall the squad is. Yes I know most of them are young but there is plenty to work with. It might be that the development guys have the biggest job next year.

Dancin' Douggy
14-12-2008, 01:17 PM
A big thank you for all those reports.

Douggie Hawkins
14-12-2008, 03:13 PM
A i heard from a friend of a friend that there is some type of Rookie Fund Raising night on monday 15 th night ...anyone know what the go is ?? Is this an official function ?

GVGjr
14-12-2008, 03:36 PM
A i heard from a friend of a friend that there is some type of Rookie Fund Raising night on monday 15 th night ...anyone know what the go is ?? Is this an official function ?

Contact the club on Monday morning. They are looking for enough funds to get an idea how many rookies they will go for.

The Underdog
14-12-2008, 04:35 PM
Good to see so many supporters there.

It seems that there were many WOOF posters there today; it would be nice to have some way of recognising one another though.

I'm so not getting another internet site tattoo, I'm still regretting the Crikey one on my stomach:o
Thanks everyone for the reports.

The Coon Dog
14-12-2008, 04:56 PM

What a great idea, whoever's organising it deserves a huge pat on the back!

LostDoggy
14-12-2008, 05:01 PM
I'm so not getting another internet site tattoo, I'm still regretting the Crikey one on my stomach:o
Thanks everyone for the reports.

Im getting the current logo on my arm sometime this pre-season :)

The Doctor
14-12-2008, 05:28 PM

RE: Rookie Fund Raiser Night

Host: Rodney Eade

Date: Monday 15 December

Time: 6.30pm till 8.30pm

Venue: Clubrooms (New Elite Training Centre)

____________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________ _____________________________

As per my telephone conversation with you last week, on behalf of Rodney Eade, we would like to thank you for accepting our invitation to join a number of fellow passionate Bulldog Supporters, on this particular night, to raise funds for an additional Rookie.

The AFL has recently allowed clubs to place 6 Rookies on their lists, but the AFL only funds 4. Hence the club is looking for funds to recruit the last two rookies.

The format of the night will be very relaxed with

Interviews from the players, including all our new recruits,
Chats with Scottie Clayton & Robert Walls
A tour of the new Elite Training Centre
A short footy video
An auction or pledges on the night

A night not to be missed!

If you have anyone else who may want to come along, please ring me or e-mail me back, so we can register their details.

Once again, thanks for your support and we are looking forward to seeing you in the rooms at 6.30pm this Monday night.

Go Dogs!

Regards,

Craig Stephens

[/email]

LostDoggy
14-12-2008, 06:36 PM

Interesting how we can see players differently, me & my mates loved his skills & vision on his left this year. maybe he turns a few over because he gets it so often.
But i watched Willy mainly for wbd listed players this year & he was clearly the most consistent of the first year boys for the 1st half of the year & regularly in the best when willy was on top of the ladder.Brad Gotch mentioned he was a key to the make up of the team.
We were looking forward to him debuting about the time he started spending a lot of time out of the middle or on the bench in the 2nd half which was strange.maybe he was carrying a injury & was nursed thru the season?

Templeton31
14-12-2008, 08:42 PM
thanks for reports guys. any sighting of last years missing-man Malcolm Lynch?

LostDoggy
15-12-2008, 02:12 PM
Nice reports there guys, i dont think i have anything else to add, but i have some photos, will add them in the next few days, when im feeling a bit better than i have been, the photos arnt really that good but i suppose anything is better than nothing.

Was good to see the guys again, and was awesome being back at the Whitten Oval.

thanks for reports guys. any sighting of last years missing-man Malcolm Lynch?

I didnt see a whole lot of him, but i know hes got a bit bigger especially in his upper body, i know hes been doing a lot of work as well, but yeah he needs to have a big preseason and a big year to keep his spot next year i think.

A couple of my friends got me his jumper(for xmas) off the bulldogs auctions and we actually dont think he would fit into it now.