PDA

View Full Version : Suspensions that ended careers

bulldogtragic
09-12-2008, 06:33 PM
I was watching that idiot - Brodie Holland - on TV was thinking the suspension he got for the attempted murder of Monty seemed to be the beginning of the end for his career.

It got me thinking about players who suffered suspensions that virtually killed their career. For the doggies, I think Todd Curley was one who suffered a very bad decision. Whilst whether it was the reason or not, he didn't seem to come back the same player.

What are some others? I'm not the Alaistar Lynch sorts, or year long suspensions either.

mighty_west
09-12-2008, 07:29 PM
Ben Cousins.

ledge
09-12-2008, 07:56 PM
Robert Muir, Mark Jackson, Leigh Matthews,Phil Carmen and a kid named Bourke at Collingwood.
Some were direct endings of careers and some were the beginning of the end.

mighty_west
09-12-2008, 08:04 PM
Robert Muir, Mark Jackson, Leigh Matthews,Phil Carmen and a kid named Bourke at Collingwood.
Some were direct endings of careers and some were the beginning of the end.

I was watching that game live on TV the day Bourke went nuts, knee'd the ump in the crown jewels, and walked off into retirement.

Didn't Patrick Wiggins do something similar for West Adelaide a few years back, walked off the ground and drove off? Or something like that?

craigsahibee
10-12-2008, 02:03 PM
Todd Curley.

Was never the same player after he was rubbed out for making contact with an umpire. Admittedly his light was fading but he seemed to lose all hunger for the game from that point on.

Twodogs
10-12-2008, 05:15 PM
I still hold Kieron Nicholls personally responsible for destroying Todd Curley's career. It was him who backed into Curley in the first place

bornadog
10-12-2008, 06:00 PM
Todd Curley.

Was never the same player after he was rubbed out for making contact with an umpire. Admittedly his light was fading but he seemed to lose all hunger for the game from that point on.

It was the severity of the penalty which got to him and all doggies fans.

Sedat
11-12-2008, 12:12 AM
I still hold Kieron Nicholls personally responsible for destroying Todd Curley's career. It was him who backed into Curley in the first place
I went to both high school and university with Kieran Nicholls, and a bigger wanker you're never likely to meet. Must have turned to umpiring because he was a truly shithouse footballer in high school. He umpired recreational matches between some of the uni teams and he was an over-officious whistle happy attention seeking turd - no wonder he made it to senior AFL ranks.

The Coon Dog
11-12-2008, 06:55 AM
he was an over-officious whistle happy attention seeking turd - no wonder he made it to senior AFL ranks.

He obviously thinks A39 was a good umpire don't you Sedat?;)

Sedat
11-12-2008, 01:21 PM
He obviously thinks A39 was a good umpire don't you Sedat?;)
Every rule has an exception ;)

Ben Johnson from Collingwood has gone from one of Collingwood's most consistent midfielders to the virtual football scrapheap ever since his lengthy suspension a couple of years ago.