PDA

View Full Version : The Alan Joyce Dismissal

bulldogtragic
09-12-2008, 06:43 PM
In hindsight, what are people's thoughts about what happened, how it was handled and the like.

Not knowing enough about the inner workings of it, other than the doco, what was behind it. On the face of it a successful coach, a talented team, yet a club in turmoil for a period.

Sockeye Salmon
09-12-2008, 07:38 PM
In hindsight, what are people's thoughts about what happened, how it was handled and the like.

Not knowing enough about the inner workings of it, other than the doco, what was behind it. On the face of it a successful coach, a talented team, yet a club in turmoil for a period.

Joyce coached for the moment - and was actually pretty good at it.

He was the perfect person to take over the reigns at Hawthorn when Jeans got sick and promptly won a couple of flags but he didn't care about tomorrow.

The sort of coach with a limited life at a club and almost guaranteed a fall down the ladder when he left.

Happy Days
09-12-2008, 10:47 PM
Joyce coached for the moment - and was actually pretty good at it.

He was the perfect person to take over the reigns at Hawthorn when Jeans got sick and promptly won a couple of flags but he didn't care about tomorrow.

The sort of coach with a limited life at a club and almost guaranteed a fall down the ladder when he left.

Hmmm...

Then how did we get to 3rd in 1997?

ledge
09-12-2008, 11:05 PM
I had a lot of time for Joyce, probably didnt have the resources to do what he wanted to do at the club.
And i might say is probably a sacked coach who we all have time for still.
As far as sacked coaches go i suppose.

Sockeye Salmon
10-12-2008, 12:50 AM
Hmmm...

Then how did we get to 3rd in 1997?

Because we had a very good core group - West, Grant, Wynd, Liberatore, Smith, Romero, Johnson, Croft. They carried us through '97 all the way until they gradually dropped off one by one. Brad Johnson was the only player to come on under Joyce.

bornadog
10-12-2008, 02:11 PM
Because we had a very good core group - West, Grant, Wynd, Liberatore, Smith, Romero, Johnson, Croft. They carried us through '97 all the way until they gradually dropped off one by one. Brad Johnson was the only player to come on under Joyce.

We had a core young group under Joyce which Wallett inherited and made himself look good.

Bulldog Revolution
10-12-2008, 10:41 PM
We had a core young group under Joyce which Wallett inherited and made himself look good.

I think it could be argued that Terry developed them whilst reserves coach

A lot of them played in a reserves level premiership he coached

IMO Joyce was a dreadful appointment by the club and we should have stayed on course with Wheeler. How you can sack a senior coach after two games seems very knee jerk reaction to me.

Sockeye Salmon
10-12-2008, 11:37 PM
I think it could be argued that Terry developed them whilst reserves coach

A lot of them played in a reserves level premiership he coached

IMO Joyce was a dreadful appointment by the club and we should have stayed on course with Wheeler. How you can sack a senior coach after two games seems very knee jerk reaction to me.

Wheels was great from 90-92 but he lost the plot in 93.

The board gave him 2 more games as coach than they should have.

Sedat
11-12-2008, 12:04 AM
Wasn't Peter Gordon keen on Jeans around the time he and Wheels fell out of favour? Remember hearing this somewhere.

I don't think Wheels was that terrible in 1993 - we finished with a W-L of 11-9 that season. Some of our losses were shocking but we did scrap our share of close wins to be thereabouts until Derek Kickett drove the final nail into our season. Axe was a major driving force for us in the midfield the previous season but the opposition did their homework on him in 1993 and he could not break the shackles - we lost enormous midfield drive as a result.

bornadog
11-12-2008, 09:23 PM
One reason Gordon was keen on Joyce was that his father played for the dogs.

Stevo
12-12-2008, 09:55 AM

He got shafted but it probably need to be done. Joyce was a great coach and a hard taskmaster with the players which was the exact opposite of Wallace. When Joyce chewed out a player, they often sulked to the very sympathetic Wallace and I think that worked against Joyce.

Stevo
12-12-2008, 10:00 AM
One reason Gordon was keen on Joyce was that his father played for the dogs.

Gordon needed a name coach to grab the media's support and Joyce was just the right person for that. Wheeler should never have been moved on but Gordon was desperate for members and felt that Wheeler hadn't prepared the side to win the pre season competition which is what he was after.

Joyce who had a reputation for being surly with the media really changed his tune and went out of his way to be accessible to the media so it was a good changeover all things considered. Once Joyce lost the support of some of the players his days were numbered.

I had the pleasure of talking to Joyce a few times and he was an outstanding football person. Incredible knowledge of the game.

bornadog
12-12-2008, 10:22 AM
Gordon needed a name coach to grab the media's support and Joyce was just the right person for that. Wheeler should never have been moved on but Gordon was desperate for members and felt that Wheeler hadn't prepared the side to win the pre season competition which is what he was after.

Joyce who had a reputation for being surly with the media really changed his tune and went out of his way to be accessible to the media so it was a good changeover all things considered. Once Joyce lost the support of some of the players his days were numbered.

I had the pleasure of talking to Joyce a few times and he was an outstanding football person. Incredible knowledge of the game.

I can't help think that Wallace completely undermined him, but have nothing to back that up.

Sockeye Salmon
12-12-2008, 12:06 PM
I can't help think that Wallace completely undermined him, but have nothing to back that up.

Wallis had a few senior players helping him, too

azabob
12-12-2008, 01:08 PM
Wallis had a few senior players helping him, too

SS intended slip of the keyboard or not? Wallis/Wallace?

Sockeye Salmon
12-12-2008, 02:03 PM
SS intended slip of the keyboard or not? Wallis/Wallace?

Unintentional, I assure you.

Steve Wallis was actually the player I was thinking of at the time.

Bulldog Revolution
15-12-2008, 11:55 AM

It seemed to me that the enormous gap was Jyces ability to communicate that knowledge

Anybody who talked to Peter Rhode would probably say the same thing - Rhode talked a reasonable game, but couldn't get the players to play one.

Year of the dogs presents Joyce as an appalling communicator, and that was the main gripe of the players. Joyce even admits to this fault at times during it.

craigsahibee
19-12-2008, 10:11 AM
Didn't agree with the decision to sack Wheels or the appointment of Joyce. My younger sister could have coached Hawthorn to the flag/s Joyce won while he was there. I don't and did not rate him as a coach.

Gordon's decision to appoint Joyce had no consideration for the long term future of the playing list.

I hold Joyce responsible for the Allen Jakovich decision. Ridiculous, and you do not need hindsight to make that assumption.