PDA

View Full Version : There have been a few times...

bulldogtragic
09-12-2008, 06:47 PM
I have thought, 'jeez. We're a decent shot at winning this premiership this year'.

What years or era's do you look back at and wonder why?

Being a younger guy, 1997 was my main one. Grant, Smith, West, Libba, Johno and so on. So much blody talent.

I sort of look at last year against Geelong the same way. We should have one, but didn't.

Would love to hear way beyong 90's. And WHY

GVGjr
09-12-2008, 07:10 PM
1985 without doubt was a great chance wasted. We had performed well against Essendon that year and I was very confident that if we beat Hawthorn in the preliminary final, and we nearly did, we would have beaten the Bombers in the GF.

We had a strong and experienced side with match winners in every line and I'm sure if we had won that game, the 1989 debacle would never have occurred.

The Coon Dog
09-12-2008, 07:17 PM
1985 without doubt was a great chance wasted. We had performed well against Essendon that year and I was very confident that if we beat Hawthorn in the preliminary final, and we nearly did, we would have beaten the Bombers in the GF.

We had a strong and experienced side with match winners in every line and I'm sure if we had won that game, the 1989 debacle would never have occurred.

Yup, agree. I don't think I have enjoyed a season as much as I did in '85.

bulldogtragic
09-12-2008, 07:19 PM
Yup, agree. I don't think I have enjoyed a season as much as I did in '85.
Being only a toddler, and my memory a little hazey, what happened?

Sockeye Salmon
09-12-2008, 07:40 PM

Leigh Matthews and Gary Buckenara.

GVGjr
09-12-2008, 07:47 PM

Hardie had done very well on Matthews and even had him benched a couple of times but Matthews being the champion bounced back in a big way and swung the game back and put the Hawks in front.

Have a look on the Doug Hawkings Wing because Alwaysadog has a write up on it.

The Coon Dog
09-12-2008, 07:53 PM

We improved from 83 to 84, but I didn't see the improvement that was 1985 coming.

We played wonderful football & had matchwinners aplenty.

It all started with a win over Carlton at Princes Park in round 1. It was a hot day & this little red head with long sleeves kept getting the ball & sending it forward. I think Pieman kicked 8 that day.

We played Essendon, the all conquering Essendon in about round 5 at the Whitten Oval. It was tense until we broke the game open in the 3rd term. Glen Hawker got pinged for running too far & that opened the floodgates. Chocco burst from the centre & bombed a long left foot goal through towards the Geelong Road end goals. A 7 goal win.

A tense struggle against North at Waverly mid season resulted in a 2 point win. I recall Zeno playing on Phil Krakouer in the last quarter & he did really well.

The first win I could remember at Geelong. It was a high scoring affair & we won by 4 goals.

We then thrashed Melbourne at home by 20 goals the following week. Beaser kicked a dozen that day.

In the last round we lost a close one to the Saints at Moorabbin. I think that their coach Daryl Baldock suffered a stroke & Alan Davis coached them. they got up for the Doc.

In the first final we were overawed by Hawthorn (sound familiar?) & were trounced by 93 points.

The following week we beat North & Beaser brought up the ton. Hawk hit Jock with the best pass I have ever seen. Unfortunately we lost Mark Kellett & Michael Ford during the match & they missed the Prelim the following week.

I still don't know how we lost that game. We had Hawthorn's measure & as GVGjr says, would have beaten Essendon the following week. Bloody Leigh Matthews! It was a long trek home from Waverley that night.

We only lost 6 games during the season & each week you went to the game expecting to win.

Some of the better players that season:

1 - Andrew Purser - Wasn't real tall, but gave 100% all the time. A great ruckman.
2 - Jim Sewell - Handy at either end of the ground.
4 - Brad Hardie - Won the Brownlow in his first season. Was brilliant that season.
7 - Doug Hawkins - Won the B&F in a stellar season. Lifted a cog in the finals.
8 - Rick Kennedy - Tough as nails & relished the physical stuff.
9 - Les bamblett - Lally was a freak. His speed at the drop of a ball was like the seagulls as Flinders Street Station after a chip. Played against Essendon a few days after having his appendix removed. Kicked 51 goals that season.
11 - Allen Daniels - Shorty didn't like the rough stuff but just knew how to get it & send it forward.
18 - Simon Beasley - Gee he led, marked & kicked well in 1985. He wasn't liked by opposition supporters, but we loved him. Kicked many big bags too.
20 - Jim Edmond - How good were Jock's hands? He ran full tilt into the ball & everything was one grab. 38 goals.
21 - Tony Buhagiar - Budgie was only with us for the one season, but was a perfect foil for Chocco. 36 goals.
24 - Steve Wallis - Wally was superb, just the perfect link between defence & attack.
27 - Stephen MacPherson - Super was terrific, just poise & could go hard when needed & didn't mind doing that either. Kicked nearly 40 goals too.
29 - Neil Cordy - Levi's was steady down back, nothing special, but more than handy.
33 - Brian Royal - This was the period where Chocco dominated. he was brilliant, just seemed to know how to get the ball & a great finisher. Kicked 37 goals.
45 - Michael Ford - Another dasher from defence who was a thumping kick.
49 - Brian Cordy - Toby was fantastic down back, just so dependable week in week out.
51 - Michael McLean - Magic was the junior of the team with silky skills, just loped across the turf.

Great times back then.

mighty_west
09-12-2008, 07:55 PM
85 & 97, we would have beaten the Bombers & Saints!

Dougie & Choco Royal were on fire the week before against North.

mighty_west
09-12-2008, 07:59 PM
The following week we beat North & Beaser brought up the ton. Hawk hit Jock with the best pass I have ever seen. Unfortunately we lost Mark Kellett & Michael Ford during the match & they missed the Prelim the following week.

That hit on Ford was one of the worst you'd ever see, he looked dead! I still cringe watching it back on dvd.

Sockeye Salmon
09-12-2008, 08:08 PM
We improved from 83 to 84, but I didn't see the improvement that was 1985 coming.

It all started with a win over Carlton at Princes Park in round 1. It was a hot day & this little red head with long sleeves kept getting the ball & sending it forward. I think Pieman kicked 8 that day.

We played Essendon, the all conquering Essendon in about round 5 at the Whitten Oval. It was tense until we broke the game open in the 3rd term. Glen Hawker got pinged for running too far & that opened the floodgates. Chocco burst from the centre & bombed a long left foot goal through towards the Geelong Road end goals. A 7 goal win.

A tense struggle against North at Waverly mid season resulted in a 2 point win. I recall Zeno playing on Phil Krakouer in the last quarter & he did really well.

The first win I could remember at Geelong. It was a high scoring affair & we won by 4 goals.

We then thrashed Melbourne at home by 20 goals the following week. Beaser kicked a dozen that day.

In the last round we lost a close one to the Saints at Moorabbin. I think that their coach Daryl Baldock suffered a stroke & Alan Davis coached them. they got up for the Doc.

In the first final we were overawed by Hawthorn (sound familiar?) & were trounced by 93 points.

I still don't know how we lost that game. We had Hawthorn's measure & as GVGjr says, would have beaten Essendon the following week. Bloody Leigh Matthews! It was a long trek home from Waverley that night.

We only lost 6 games during the season & each week you went to the game expecting to win.

1 - Andrew Purser - Wasn't real tall, but gave 100% all the time. A great ruckman.
4 - Brad Hardie - Won the Brownlow in his first season. Was brilliant that season.
9 - Les bamblett - Lally was a freak. His speed at the drop of a ball was like the seagulls as Flinders Street Station after a chip. Played against Essendon a few days after having his appendix removed. Kicked 51 goals that season.
11 - Allen Daniels - Shorty didn't like the rough stuff but just knew how to get it & send it forward.
18 - Simon Beasley - Gee he led, marked & kicked well in 1985. He wasn't liked by opposition supporters, but we loved him. Kicked many big bags too.
20 - Jim Edmond - How good were Jock's hands? He ran full tilt into the ball & everything was one grab. 38 goals.
21 - Tony Buhagiar - Budgie was only with us for the one season, but was a perfect foil for Chocco. 36 goals.
24 - Steve Wallis - Wally was superb, just the perfect link between defence & attack.
27 - Stephen MacPherson - Super was terrific, just poise & could go hard when needed & didn't mind doing that either. Kicked nearly 40 goals too.
29 - Neil Cordy - Levi's was steady down back, nothing special, but more than handy.
33 - Brian Royal - This was the period where Chocco dominated. he was brilliant, just seemed to know how to get the ball & a great finisher. Kicked 37 goals.
49 - Brian Cordy - Toby was fantastic down back, just so dependable week in week out.
51 - Michael McLean - Magic was the junior of the team with silky skills, just loped across the turf.

Great times back then.

Kelvin Templeton, Ted Whitten, Geoff Jennings and Mick Egan were all retired and still under 30.

ledge
09-12-2008, 08:10 PM

Great times back then.

Those were the days Baz, the year I was engaged to Bull Masons daughter,if anyone remembers Bull, and big Al Ford was living with me, never forget being in a car with Brad Hardie the day before he won the Brownlow and him doing donuts in the old stonedust car park.
Was the year Ronnie James played in the GF at Willy, half of us didnt make the game due to a stop on the way at the Waterloo Cup Hotel.
Yes Baz one year that i will always remember as far as football, characters and Footscray goes.

bornadog
10-12-2008, 12:11 AM

Great times back then.

Great summary, it was one of my favourite seasons as we hadn't played finals since 1976 and we were just awesome.

I have a whole video tape of many games I recorded that year, with some fantastic moments.

Rocket Science
10-12-2008, 03:11 AM

Great times back then.

A grand season beautifully summarised...While nary a teen, similar memories abound and are indelibly etched into my heart and mind.

THAT'S the team that forever cemented my love for this club...and finally, if momentarily gave me something to toss back into the faces of my mouthy, front-running Pies/Blues/Dons/Tiges supporting schoolmates.

They got theirs I suppose...Then along came the Hawks.

Sedat
10-12-2008, 11:54 AM
1985 was a wonderful season, and whilst I walked away from the prelim disappointed, I thought we were going to be serious contender for a few years to come. We added Rance and McGuiness to the list the following year but the players thought that it would just automatically happen - losing Dougie to a crippling knee injury early in the season seemed to take the wind out of our sails.

The one year that really frustrated me was 1999. We had come off consecutive prelims, added silky quality in Winmar to the squad, and then barely lost a single game by more than a couple of goals all season. We ended up 15-6-1 for the season, in 4th place, and having convincingly beaten or ran close all 3 teams ahead of us (we hammered eventual premier North by 7 goals at the MCG during the season when Granty outshone Carey and kicked a big bag). Then we pissed this down the drain on that infamous windy Friday night against West Coast in the first week of the finals, consigning us to a road trip to Brisbane and straight sets elimination. Just a terrible finish to what was brewing as a special season.

My personal favourite season was 1992. It was barely 2 years after our brush with death and Wheels had us playing exciting and vibrant football for the season. That first half in the QF against the Cats when Del Re went beserk was amazing. Unfortunately the Cats tore us apart in the 2nd half and again in the prelim. We beat the Saints convincingly 3 times that season, including their only loss for 2 years at Moorabin, when we were crippled with 6 key injuries from the previous week but still managed to beat Lockett, Winmar and Loewe in their prime on their own dung hill.

Sockeye Salmon
10-12-2008, 01:33 PM
The one year that really frustrated me was 1999. We had come off consecutive prelims, added silky quality in Winmar to the squad, and then barely lost a single game by more than a couple of goals all season. We ended up 15-6-1 for the season, in 4th place, and having convincingly beaten or ran close all 3 teams ahead of us (we hammered eventual premier North by 7 goals at the MCG during the season when Granty outshone Carey and kicked a big bag). Then we pissed this down the drain on that infamous windy Friday night against West Coast in the first week of the finals, consigning us to a road trip to Brisbane and straight sets elimination. Just a terrible finish to what was brewing as a special season.

We smashed West Coast that night - 60 more possesions than them. It was the only time I've ever truely felt shafted by an umpire - Gavin Dore.

That was the night Todd Curley pushed Wirapunda in the back inside the centre square and while the umpires were changing positions the 2nd umpire set the mark on the 50m line - they accidentally gave WC an old fashioned 15m penalty. Wirapunda's kick cleared Scotty Wynd on the goal line by inches.

Granty also took a hangar on Jakovich (in the wind, too) and got a free against him for high contact - with his knee on Jakovich's head!

Granty and Jakovich were pushing each other face-to-face as a high ball came in and Huddo jumped across the front of them and marked 20m out - Granty got a free against him for shepharding.

Crofty got done for holding the ball after being driven into the ground in WC's goalsquare. Not only was it a clear in-the-back, the ball had spilled through for a point anyway.

We lost by 5pts.

I've never really got over that night.

craigsahibee
10-12-2008, 01:56 PM
Those were the days Baz, the year I was engaged to Bull Masons daughter,if anyone remembers Bull, and big Al Ford was living with me, never forget being in a car with Brad Hardie the day before he won the Brownlow and him doing donuts in the old stonedust car park.
Was the year Ronnie James played in the GF at Willy, half of us didnt make the game due to a stop on the way at the Waterloo Cup Hotel.
Yes Baz one year that i will always remember as far as football, characters and Footscray goes.

Was Bull Mason one of the trainers? For a while there he would occupy the trainers seat in the Drill hall pocket next to Vinnie Barnard. We used to joke that if any of our players got hurt at that end of the ground, they would be recovered before Bull or Vinnie would get to them. Bull was a big man who wasn't so agile across the turf and I think Vinnie may have been around when Tom Wills wrote the rules in draft form.

bornadog
10-12-2008, 02:05 PM
The one year that really frustrated me was 1999. We had come off consecutive prelims, added silky quality in Winmar to the squad, and then barely lost a single game by more than a couple of goals all season. We ended up 15-6-1 for the season, in 4th place, and having convincingly beaten or ran close all 3 teams ahead of us (we hammered eventual premier North by 7 goals at the MCG during the season when Granty outshone Carey and kicked a big bag). Then we pissed this down the drain on that infamous windy Friday night against West Coast in the first week of the finals, consigning us to a road trip to Brisbane and straight sets elimination. Just a terrible finish to what was brewing as a special season. .

People forget how good we were in 1999, it was a great season with the three amigos terrorising everyone. 5ft nothing and the football world was running scared.

We really stuffed up the finals.

Sedat
10-12-2008, 02:06 PM
Neither have I. The 1997 prelim shattered me but this match angered me about as much as any game in our history for the reasons you alluded to and also for our terrible inability to adapt to the conditions on the night. The footage of Mick Malthouse having seizures and fits in the coaches box that night made me sick. Of course Alastair Lynch rubbed it in the following week with the choking gesture at Westy - filthy finish to the season.

The irony is that under today's structure, we would have played the Bombers in a qualifying final in the first week with a guaranteed double chance and a guaranteed home final the following week had we lost - Essendon only beat us by less than a kick on a Friday night at the MCG mid-season while they were hammering just about everyone else in the competition that season.

bornadog
10-12-2008, 02:08 PM
We smashed West Coast that night - 60 more possesions than them. It was the only time I've ever truely felt shafted by an umpire - Gavin Dore.

That was the night Todd Curley pushed Wirapunda in the back inside the centre square and while the umpires were changing positions the 2nd umpire set the mark on the 50m line - they accidentally gave WC an old fashioned 15m penalty. Wirapunda's kick cleared Scotty Wynd on the goal line by inches.

Granty also took a hangar on Jakovich (in the wind, too) and got a free against him for high contact - with his knee on Jakovich's head!

Granty and Jakovich were pushing each other face-to-face as a high ball came in and Huddo jumped across the front of them and marked 20m out - Granty got a free against him for shepharding.

Crofty got done for holding the ball after being driven into the ground in WC's goalsquare. Not only was it a clear in-the-back, the ball had spilled through for a point anyway.

We lost by 5pts.

Don't forget how many times West Coast crept up on the mark and the umpire didn't pull them back. There was a particluar one in the last quarter when we marked inside the 50m arc, but some how the WC player was standing on the mark, outside the arc.
You may recall from that game on, the bulldogs made sure they marked the spot with their foot every time and ensured the umpire agreed.

ledge
10-12-2008, 07:28 PM
Was Bull Mason one of the trainers? For a while there he would occupy the trainers seat in the Drill hall pocket next to Vinnie Barnard. We used to joke that if any of our players got hurt at that end of the ground, they would be recovered before Bull or Vinnie would get to them. Bull was a big man who wasn't so agile across the turf and I think Vinnie may have been around when Tom Wills wrote the rules in draft form.

Yep that was Bull, he and his dad are life members.
In the 80s the trainers used to drink at the Powell Hotel, had their own corner at the bar.
Good bloke but i was scared shitless the day I asked to marry his daughter.
Apparently Bull was a pretty good sportsman in his day.

Bulldog Revolution
10-12-2008, 10:53 PM
Great post, TCD, when you watch the highlights of that 1985 side it is a pretty awesome unit and for a guy like myself who was young at the time I probably didn't fully appreciate just how powerful Edmond was and how good the Cordys were, and we had some great players with young legs in there prime Royal, Wallis, Hawkins, McLean and McPherson

1985 and 1997 are the two of my lifetime that really got away. 1997 would have been perhaps the greatest turnaround the modern game has ever seen - it's still an open festering wound for me.

Sockeye Salmon
10-12-2008, 11:40 PM
Great post, TCD, when you watch the highlights of that 1985 side it is a pretty awesome unit and for a guy like myself who was young at the time I probably didn't fully appreciate just how powerful Edmond was and how good the Cordys were, and we had some great players with young legs in there prime Royal, Wallis, Hawkins, McLean and McPherson

1985 and 1997 are the two of my lifetime that really got away. 1997 would have been perhaps the greatest turnaround the modern game has ever seen - it's still an open festering wound for me.

92 was a bigger waste. Paul Dear breaking Fossies leg cost us a premiership, I have no doubt about that at all.

97 was one of those years when no-one deserved it. Any other year Adelaide would have come about 4th and we would have been 6th. I don't think we were particularily good but it was one of those flags that you might just pinch.

Sedat
10-12-2008, 11:55 PM
92 was a bigger waste. Paul Dear breaking Fossies leg cost us a premiership, I have no doubt about that at all.
Fossie or not, I reckon the only way we could have won the flag in 1992 was to completely avoid the Cats in September. They well and truly had our measure during the early-mid 90's. I would have been confident against any other finlaist that year with the exception of the Cats.

Bulldog Revolution
11-12-2008, 07:47 AM

97 was one of those years when no-one deserved it. Any other year Adelaide would have come about 4th and we would have been 6th. I don't think we were particularily good but it was one of those flags that you might just pinch.

You obviously believe we would have beaten the Eagles then, who were a good step ahead of Geelong

Sockeye Salmon
11-12-2008, 10:46 AM
You obviously believe we would have beaten the Eagles then, who were a good step ahead of Geelong

We smashed them at WO in round 21, so yeah, I reckon we would.

And I don't for a second think Billy Brownless would have done a number on Fossie like he did on Barry Standfield.

Twodogs
11-12-2008, 10:56 AM
Fossie or not, I reckon the only way we could have won the flag in 1992 was to completely avoid the Cats in September. They well and truly had our measure during the early-mid 90's. I would have been confident against any other finlaist that year with the exception of the Cats.

I dont know about that. They smashed us in the ruck and at clearences late in that season but I would have liked a crack at them with a fit Scott Wynd in the team. No way would we have been beaten in the midfield as badly then.

Sedat
11-12-2008, 01:31 PM
I dont know about that. They smashed us in the ruck and at clearences late in that season but I would have liked a crack at them with a fit Scott Wynd in the team. No way would we have been beaten in the midfield as badly then.
Even if we were at full strength, some dud would have slipped free and run amok against us - they always do. It would have been some fringe player like a Russell Merriman or a Leigh Tudor!

westdog54
11-12-2008, 01:53 PM
People forget how good we were in 1999, it was a great season with the three amigos terrorising everyone. 5ft nothing and the football world was running scared.

We really stuffed up the finals.

One of my fondest memories as a Bulldogs fan came in that season, ironically enough against West Coast.

It was Round 21 at Optus Oval, a win would have guaranteed us a home final. We were playing magnificently to half time, we'd kicked 11.2 (5 Straight at Quarter time) and seemed to be cruising. West Coast replied with a 5 goal to 3 3rd quarter and it was game on.

The last quarter was one of the most frustrating, excrutiatingly close quarters of football I've ever experienced live. We kicked 1.6, they kicked 2.2. It seemed for all money that we were going to be pipped at the post. The siren sounded, with us leading by two points. The Heatley terrace erupted.

I was 16 at the time, and I remember the bloke next to me (I was at least a foot taller than him) picking me up in a big bear hug as 'Sons of the West' belted out over the dodgy Princes Park PA.

Great day at the Footy.