PDA

View Full Version : The invisible man

Dry Rot
13-03-2007, 10:37 PM
What's happening with Street? Missing from NAB and practice games, and no news of him.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-03-2007, 10:40 PM
Been out for quite a while hasn't he?

Wasn't it only a calf related injury?

In any event, I'm pretty sure before The Lions game he was interviewed on Radio and gave the indication that he would be back in two weeks.

So, according to his own report, he should be playing this weekend?

I haven't heard anything though. Perhaps he'll get a run with Werribee?

Dry Rot
13-03-2007, 10:47 PM
IMO we need The Tall One.

We don't have any other genuine tap ruckmen (assuming Darcy stays away from the ruck)

Minson has a way to go, IMO.

alwaysadog
13-03-2007, 11:29 PM
What's happening with Street? Missing from NAB and practice games, and no news of him.

My info is that he had soreness in an ankle but didn't think it a problem so didn't seek treatment, he was however unconsciously compensating and tore a tendon or the like in his other ankle. To say that Rocket was unimpressed is to make a major understatement. Looks as if he will be very unlikely to be ready round one.

My info is that the tall one is regarded as the club's premium ruckman at this stage.

Dry Rot
14-03-2007, 12:56 AM
My info is that he had soreness in an ankle but didn't think it a problem so didn't seek treatment, he was however unconsciously compensating and tore a tendon or the like in his other ankle. To say that Rocket was unimpressed is to make a major understatement. Looks as if he will be very unlikely to be ready round one.

My info is that the tall one is regarded as the club's premium ruckman at this stage.

Thanks. Dual ankle problems are a little different to a calf problem.

Any idea when he'll be ready to play?

bornadog
14-03-2007, 08:25 AM
I heard he was still a week away from playing, most likely to kick off with Werribee.

He was very popular with the kids on Sunday signing autographs.

LostDoggy
14-03-2007, 10:15 AM
IMO we need The Tall One.

We don't have any other genuine tap ruckmen (assuming Darcy stays away from the ruck)

Minson has a way to go, IMO.

The only problem is the tall one isn't that good.
Minson might have a way to go but at least he has played more influential matches than Street has.
Street was good v Collingwood in the finals but Collingwood have no quality ruckman.
He is not really required as much as you think. At the moment only need someone to give Minson a rest.

Dry Rot
14-03-2007, 10:17 AM
Minson might have a way to go but at least he has played more influential matches than Street has.
Street was good v Collingwood in the finals but Collingwood have no quality ruckman.
He is not really required as much as you think. At the moment only need someone to give Minson a rest.

You think Minson is a good tap ruckman at this stage of his career? He certainly has other strings to his bow, but IIRC leading tap ruckman murder him at this time.

Go_Dogs
14-03-2007, 10:19 AM
Silly boy, don't play on those injured ankles, especially when your 211 cm tall!

southerncross
14-03-2007, 11:35 AM

We need both of them. Between the two of them they really do match-up well against opposition teams.
Eade's plans for Darcy might well be the wildcard. If he gets back somewhere near his best then he might be able to be used in the ruck. I would be very cautious about that though.

LostDoggy
14-03-2007, 12:28 PM
You think Minson is a good tap ruckman at this stage of his career? He certainly has other strings to his bow, but IIRC leading tap ruckman murder him at this time.
No but neither is Street

LostDoggy
14-03-2007, 12:37 PM
We need both of them. Between the two of them they really do match-up well against opposition teams.
Eade's plans for Darcy might well be the wildcard. If he gets back somewhere near his best then he might be able to be used in the ruck. I would be very cautious about that though.
We might need him but I see a problem playing so many top heavy blokes. You have Minson, Doogs, Wight and Darcy. All able to ruck in some capacity. You can an old champ in Grant we might have to hide every now and then.
Ok Harris is missing for 2 weeks but people want a spot for Street.

I have a feeling Darcy might be used in the ruck more than we expected.
Our strength is our run, playing so many talls especially ones that find it difficult to chase their opposition number will not help us.

alwaysadog
14-03-2007, 04:09 PM
News about a yet to be sighted is also good; Stack will play with the Bees this weekend. He has grown about 2cm since the draft and is now 188cm and has put on 7kg. Some talk that Walsh is close to playing but I don't know if he has even been training with the main group.

Go_Dogs
14-03-2007, 06:23 PM
I have a feeling Darcy might be used in the ruck more than we expected.

I agree w/ this point. During all pre-season I was on the "don't let Darcy ruck" bandwagon, but I am feeling more and more like he will spend a bit of time in the ruck, especially as the season wears on. Darcy is one of the better rucks in the AFL - having him back, not just for his skills, but his leadership, in the middle would be excellent.

Also - great news about Stack. He is probably the most likely to play this year I would say, given that he seems to have a lot to offer in the small forward role, but potentially the ability to develop into a decent midfield option. Really look forward to seeing him and what he is capable of.

dog town
14-03-2007, 08:57 PM
I agree w/ this point. During all pre-season I was on the "don't let Darcy ruck" bandwagon, but I am feeling more and more like he will spend a bit of time in the ruck, especially as the season wears on. Darcy is one of the better rucks in the AFL - having him back, not just for his skills, but his leadership, in the middle would be excellent.

. I am excited about Darcy being able to atleast ruck in the forward line where it will be more grappling and a test of strength rather than jumping and landing. He will have a real influence at the throw ins because he is far too strong for most players and is smart enough to know where to hit the ball. Players like Aker and co will enjoy running into little holes around the contest if Darcy can get some form back in this area.

If he can come back as a genuine option in the centre then I will be ecstatic but prepared to give him plenty of time.

LostDoggy
14-03-2007, 09:40 PM
If he can come back as a genuine option in the centre then I will be ecstatic but prepared to give him plenty of time.

Same here. I see no reason to rush him but he could be a real surprise for us if he can add some value to our ruck group.

alwaysadog
15-03-2007, 05:28 PM
Same here. I see no reason to rush him but he could be a real surprise for us if he can add some value to our ruck group.

Eade likes to keep the initiative by never being predictable that is a major reason for some rotationsand. He likes keeping the opposition wondering how they can keep up.

Darcy will almost certainly be thrown into the middle at some stage but when least expected. I salivate thinking how well he used to stuff it down Gia's throat so he could put the ball deep into the F50, and how they could do it this year.

Dry Rot
27-03-2007, 03:58 PM
Any updates on Street? Will he be considered for Round 1?

LostDoggy
27-03-2007, 04:08 PM
From this thread it looks like the invisible man is... ah, well, no, he doesn't look like the invisible man, because he's invisible... but it seems the invisible man might be Wade Skipper. Useful option in the ruck, no?

alwaysadog
27-03-2007, 05:07 PM
Any updates on Street? Will he be considered for Round 1?

Got through the game against Werribee, but don't know how he pulled up nor how he's trained this week. Don't know any more. Does anyone?

GVGjr
27-03-2007, 06:30 PM
Street has played the last couple of games for Werribee so I guess he is right to play. I have a feeling though that Eade will go in with just Minson being supported by Darcy and McDougall

alwaysadog
27-03-2007, 07:06 PM
Street has played the last couple of games for Werribee so I guess he is right to play. I have a feeling though that Eade will go in with just Minson being supported by Darcy and McDougall

You may be right, but McDougall, monster that he is doesn't do centre bounce work and Darce may not be ready to give Will too much of a chop out in a real game. The Tall One may find a spot on the bench.

Go_Dogs
27-03-2007, 08:22 PM

I'd be shocked if either of Street or Skipper got a look in this week, or at any stage this year - unless things go terribly wrong. They'll be used as back-ups until their form at Werribee warrants inclusion.

bornadog
27-03-2007, 11:14 PM
Street is really our number one ruckman until Minson can find form. Many of you won't agree with my assessment, but its based on the last few games for the year that Street played for us. I thought he really came good towards the end of the year and played very well in the finals. Minson coming off an injury really tapered off at the end of last year. He looks fitter this year and not a bad preseason, now he has to prove it on the track. But as far as ruck work, Street is Streets :) ahead at the moment.

Whether he plays this week will depend on his fitness.

Go_Dogs
28-03-2007, 10:12 AM
I'd have to disagree with your bornadog. Although Minson really struggled to find his spot after his injury, surely he helps us win more clearance ball, and is more useful around the ground than Street.

Bulldog Revolution
28-03-2007, 05:01 PM
I believe that both Street and Minson are better than people think. And I think Skippers ability to play influential quarters on the ball are also a bit overlooked, Skipper was very good for almost the first half of the year, does get his hand to the ball and direct it and was kicking a goal a game.

I think Street has far more influence in the centre square tap than people give him credit and I believe he probably worries a lot of opposition sides, and they spend time planning for him. I live in hope he will do more around the ground, he actually is a pretty good kick for a guy his height, a very good shot for goal, and has better hands than he has showcased. I live in hope he still has a big jump to make in what he shows - big men are often like good bottles of wine, getting better with age.

I think Minson has played some dominating centre square patches combining his physical nature with precision tap work.

I am always keen to remind people that Minson has never played a full year in the seniors due to injury and is still very young in ruckmens terms. It took Brendan Lade a long time to become the centre square ruckman that he know is and I think Minson is on the right path. But I do have some concerns about his height that he is not a 4 quarter ruckman and will need to develop other strengths, but I think his marking and goal kicking have shown signs of improvement - he just needs to stay injury free.