PDA

View Full Version : Ben Cousins To Be A Tiger?

The Coon Dog
10-12-2008, 10:10 PM
Richmond clears way for Ben Cousins (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24780995-661,00.html)

BREAKING NEWS: RICHMOND has asked the AFL for permission to put Graham Polak on the rookie list, potentially clearing the way to draft Ben Cousins.

Polak is recovering from severe brain trauma after being hit by a tram during last season.

The Tigers have asked the AFL for permission to put him on the rookie list as a long-term injured player.

Essendon was allowed to do that with Adam Ramanauskas when he was recovering from cancer.

If Richmond was allowed to place Polak on the rookie list it would get an extra pick in next Tuesday's Pre-season Draft.

It currently has pick No.6 in the draft.

If it had a second one, it would be the only club with a pick in the second round of the draft, effective the seventh selection.

The Herald Sun's Mike Sheahan says he believes the Tigers are very keen on acquiring Cousins.

That would give the Tigers room to add fallen Eagle Cousins to their playing list.

The self-confessed drug addict appeared to be out of options for his AFL career after the Brisbane Lions declared they would not be drafting him before last month's AFL Draft.

The AFL has circulated the Tigers' request to the other 15 clubs for discussion ahead of next Monday's AFL Commission meeting where a decision on the submission will be made.

In 2006, Essendon asked the AFL for permission to list Ramanauskas as a mature-age list for the 2007 following a recurrence of his cancer. He was elevated to the senior list mid-way through the 2007 season, playing his first senior game for more than two years against Geelong.

The 24-year-old Polak, who suffered brain damage when he was hit by a tram in June, continues to make a slow but steady recovery but there is no guarantee he will ever return to senior football.

He is in the last year of a three-season deal with Richmond, but is given some hope because he is so fit and has responded well so far.

The Tigers have said they will take a young player with their sixth pick in the draft.

Eight players are currently training at Punt Road that are not on the Tigers' list - Andrew Browne (Murray Bushrangers), David Gourdis, Kade Klemke (Murray Bushrangers), Nick Liddle (Coburg), Patrick Nicholls (St Bedes), Matt Suckling (Sandringham Dragons), Justin Van Unen (Oakleigh Chargers), Bryn Weadon (North Ballarat).

Richmond took Gourdis with the first pick in last year's Pre-season Draft, but he only played one game last season. The Tigers look likely to pick him up again, but could do so in the Rookie Draft.

bulldogtragic
10-12-2008, 10:14 PM
Richmond...

GVGjr
10-12-2008, 10:44 PM
Adding Cousins to the Tigers side will be exciting for them plus the rest of the competition. It really would make them into a finals contender. Very interesting move by them.

Bulldog Revolution
10-12-2008, 11:01 PM
Adding Cousins to the Tigers side will be exciting for them plus the rest of the competition. It really would make them into a finals contender. Very interesting move by them.

I think its a worthwhile calculated risk by them

If I was a saint I'd be furious - they went for Colm Begley over Cousins - WOW !!!

The Coon Dog
11-12-2008, 07:01 AM
Rival clubs to oppose Richmond's draft bid (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24783559-19742,00.html)

AFL clubs are expected to oppose Richmond's request for a special draft concession that would effectively allow it to add Ben Cousins to its main playing list.

Yesterday the Tigers formally asked the AFL for special permission to place Graham Polak, badly injured after being hit by a tram, on their rookie list for the 2009 season.

If successful, Richmond would have two selections at Tuesday's pre-season draft, the second of which it is strongly considering using on Cousins.

The Tigers board discussed Polak's situation two days ago, including the opening that could be created for Cousins.

At least three clubs, one of them Collingwood, were last night preparing to oppose the Tigers' request if it meant Cousins would be selected.

They argue that if Richmond wants Cousins, it should be forced to use the selection it already has in the pre-season draft, not via a pick to compensate for Polak.

The Herald Sun believes a medical report on Polak lists several conditions that will prevent him playing competitive football for a long time.

The AFL last night confirmed the Tigers' request, which is attempting to use as a precedent Essendon's permission to rookie-list cancer sufferer Adam Ramanauskas.

AFL football operations manager Adrian Anderson said Richmond was seeking the right to place Polak on its rookie list while he continued treatment and rehabilitation for the shocking injuries he suffered when hit by the tram.

The AFL Commission will meet on Monday to decide Richmond's request.

As always with the commission, it has the power to make whatever decision it sees fit, regardless of outside opinion and feedback.

Polak has contributed to the Tigers' submission to the AFL, writing that he has been grateful for the club's support since his accident.

He has said his place on the club's list would be better filled by a player fully equipped to play competitively.

Collingwood strongly considered drafting Cousins before deciding against it, as did St Kilda and Brisbane.

LostDoggy
11-12-2008, 08:45 AM
I don't believe one player 30yo+ who is coming off major drug issues and has been out of the game for a year isn't going to make that much difference to their squad.

The Underdog
11-12-2008, 09:26 AM
I don't understand why they need the extra pick to take him. Surely if they really think he's worth it they'll just use their existing pick if the Polak rookie listing doesn't work out. The possibility is always there that Klemke will be available to rookie anyway.
I think it'd be a brave but potentially brilliant move for them to take Cousins, they just seem to be going about it in a typically Richmond way.

Desipura
11-12-2008, 10:07 AM
With all due respect to Polak, they are totally different circumstances to Ramanauskas. I cannot see how every club would vote this in.

Cyberdoggie
11-12-2008, 10:25 AM
I don't believe one player 30yo+ who is coming off major drug issues and has been out of the game for a year isn't going to make that much difference to their squad.

after his last indescretion with WCE where he had some time off, his first game back from memory was outstanding.

He's a freak and he'll probably have a fantastic year if anyone had the guts to pick him.

Funny that it might be Wallet in the final year of his contract. It's finals or bust for Terry, if they finish 9th again he'll get the chop.

G-Mo77
11-12-2008, 10:49 AM
With all due respect to Polak, they are totally different circumstances to Ramanauskas. I cannot see how every club would vote this in.

Exactly and I hope we are on of the 3 clubs mentioned in the article.

If they want him they can take him with the pick they already have.

I hope Cousins never plays in the AFL again but that is another story.

The Coon Dog
11-12-2008, 11:02 AM
Like others, I think if Richmond want to draft Ben Cousins, use their existing pick to do it.

The issue of Polak is seperate & I suppose the Tigers are hoping sympathy prevails. It's just a furphy. If they wanted to do this, then ask before the National Draft so everyone knows well in advance, don't spring it at the last minute.

Sockeye Salmon
11-12-2008, 11:16 AM
Why would Essendon get permission to do it with Ramanaskas and not Richmond with Polak?

The AFL should either have a rule allowing non-football-related illness/accidents or not.

Whether they take Cousins or not should be irrelevant.

Does anyone else think that there would be no chance we would get away with something like this?
Essendon/Collingwood/Carlton/Adelaide/West Coast/Sydney/Brisbane = definately
Freo/Port/Richmond/Hawthorn/Geelong/St. Kilda = probably
Dogs/North/Melbourne = no chance

The Underdog
11-12-2008, 11:23 AM
Why would Essendon get permission to do it with Ramanaskas and not Richmond with Polak?

The AFL should either have a rule allowing non-football-related illness/accidents or not.

Does anyone else think that there would be no chance we would get away with something like this?

Maybe it's the hubris it takes to actually try it that we lack. Plus we aren't really in a position to push our luck with the AFL on contentious issues.

Twodogs
11-12-2008, 11:33 AM

Rama wasnt contracted and had no-where to go but to be delisted. Polak has a contract and will be on Richmonds list next year no matter what.

As has already been said Richmond already have a spot on their list so if they want Cousins they can take him. This is typical Wallce-more concerned with trying to put something over city hall than just doing things the simple way.

Desipura
11-12-2008, 01:00 PM
[B][QUOTE=Sockeye Salmon;65052]Why would Essendon get permission to do it with Ramanaskas and not Richmond with Polak?

So if a player gets bashed outside a nightclub and is seriously injured, that would be non football related.
Illnesses are a seperate issue and should remain that way

Sedat
11-12-2008, 01:37 PM
The difference between Polak and Rama cases is that the Tigers have already formally commited to a mature age rookie on their list for next year - some guy called Silvester. So the AFL will have to amend the rules to allow a club more than one mature age rookie on their list in this instance.

If Richmond were concerned with Polak's welfare they should have raised this months ago and not cynically attempted to tamper with the draft process so late in the piece. Teflon will resort to anything to save his 500k a season pay packet.

Sockeye Salmon
11-12-2008, 02:06 PM
So if a player gets bashed outside a nightclub and is seriously injured, that would be non football related.
Illnesses are a seperate issue and should remain that way

The tram was pissed and started it?

The difference between Polak and Rama cases is that the Tigers have already formally commited to a mature age rookie on their list for next year - some guy called Silvester. So the AFL will have to amend the rules to allow a club more than one mature age rookie on their list in this instance.

If Richmond were concerned with Polak's welfare they should have raised this months ago and not cynically attempted to tamper with the draft process so late in the piece. Teflon will resort to anything to save his 500k a season pay packet.

Sorry Teflon, game over.

Rules say 1 mature-aged rookie per club. Bad luck.

ledge
11-12-2008, 02:33 PM
Has Richmond actually said they will pick Cousins or is it just media hype, what a pisser if Polak goes on rookie list and Tigers actually pick 2 younger players.
I would love to see that, makes the reporters look like idiots.

LostDoggy
11-12-2008, 05:19 PM
after his last indescretion with WCE where he had some time off, his first game back from memory was outstanding.
And he was totally clean then too.

GVGjr
11-12-2008, 09:13 PM
Like others, I think if Richmond want to draft Ben Cousins, use their existing pick to do it.

The issue of Polak is seperate & I suppose the Tigers are hoping sympathy prevails. It's just a furphy. If they wanted to do this, then ask before the National Draft so everyone knows well in advance, don't spring it at the last minute.

They haven't came out and confirmed anything but I think the speculation is warranted.
They won't draft two kids. Look it could be Carrol or someone else but given they haven't squashed the Cousins speculation it's very likely he is they one they want to add.

Wallace is in the last year of his contract and needs a top 6 finish so he is now willing to roll the dice.

bornadog
11-12-2008, 09:21 PM
They won't draft two kids.

Gourdis was promised to be re drafted.

strebla
12-12-2008, 01:19 AM
I don't care who they want to draft they knew months ago that polak was not going to play for at the very least the majority of next season.
This being said no problem putting him on the long term injury list and promoting a rookie the time ton rookie list polak was october too so sad bye bye

FrediKanoute
12-12-2008, 01:32 AM

Agreed. I don't have an issue with this. If they choose to use the space on Cousins and all of the associated risks then so be it. To look at it another way, were the AFL to refuse they are effectively making Richmond choose between going into the season 1 listed player short or to delist Polak possibly ending his career.

I think the AFL has to be flexible in these situations and the issue of Cousins is a distraction from the real issue.

Drunken Bum
12-12-2008, 08:31 PM
Agreed. I don't have an issue with this. If they choose to use the space on Cousins and all of the associated risks then so be it. To look at it another way, were the AFL to refuse they are effectively making Richmond choose between going into the season 1 listed player short or to delist Polak possibly ending his career.

I think the AFL has to be flexible in these situations and the issue of Cousins is a distraction from the real issue.

Aren't clubs faced with this situation every year? when someone does a knee at the end of the season for example and will miss most of the following year. That is what the long term injury list and rookies are for as i understand it

At first i didnt have an issue with it myself and i have never hidden the fact that i would like to see Cousins play again and was an advocate for us to pick him up under certain conditions, but reading through the posts i have to agree with most saying it shouldnt happen, if they want to pick him, use the pick they have already.

Dogs 24/7
13-12-2008, 12:02 AM
I think the whole Cousins to the Tigers is a done deal anyway.

Richmond always finish 9th
Cousins wore the number 9
9 + 9 = 18 and if you add the 1 and the 8 it equals 9
or
9 x 9 = 81 and if you add the 8 and the 1 of course it equals 9

No good wasting any time or effort discussing this because you cannot fight the numbers.

Scraggers
14-12-2008, 04:48 PM
Tigers offered bonus to recruit Ben Cousins

Tony Sheahan and Jackie Epstein
December 14, 2008

A MILLIONAIRE Tigers fan has offered the club a $300,000 bonus if it recruits recovering drug addict Ben Cousins.

As AFL chiefs assess Richmond's controversial bid for an extra pick in order to secure the Brownlow medallist in Tuesday's pre-season draft, football's Dimattina family made the offer.

Frank Dimattina, who played 42 games for the Tigers and is the father of former Bulldog Paul Dimattina, has offered the rich carrot.

"If Richmond is prepared to take Ben, we'll up the ante and make a substantial contribution towards the football club," Paul Dimattina said yesterday.

The family - which owns a string of restaurants including Society in Bourke St - declined to put a figure on the bonus, but the Sunday Herald Sun understands it could be as high as $300,000.

It has also emerged that the 30-year-old former Eagle has offered a heartfelt thanks to former Essendon coach Kevin Sheedy for trying to save his career.

Sheedy met Cousins and his father in Perth early this month and was convinced that he deserved a go.

On Friday night, Sheedy received a voice message from Cousins saying: "Thanks for all your help and for meeting me. I really appreciate everything you've done."

The patriarch of the Dimattina family, which owns a number of restaurants and a coffee franchise, confirmed he made the Tigers a cash offer, but would not say how much.

Paul Dimattina said yesterday: "If Richmond is prepared to take Ben, we'll up the ante and make a substantial contribution to the club."

Dimattina played 131 games for the Western Bulldogs after being drafted by Richmond, though he never played for the Tigers.

The latest play in the Cousins saga came as former Essendon coach Kevin Sheedy said Cousins was determined to get a second chance.

Sheedy said he urged Cousins to contact Richmond coach Terry Wallace after meeting the former West Coast champion and his father in Perth this month.

He left them convinced that Cousins deserved a go.

On Friday night, Sheedy received a voice message from Cousins saying: "Thanks for all your help and for meeting me. I really appreciate everything you've done."

The Tigers hope to secure a second pick in Tuesday's pre-season draft in order to secure Cousins, but AFL clubs are divided about the issue of injured Tiger Graham Polak being placed on the rookie list.

The AFL will hand down its decision tomorrow.

If Richmond picks Cousins, Paul Dimattina said the drug-addicted former West Coast Eagle had a responsibility to the club.

"Don't go and do the wrong thing," Dimattina said. "If he (Cousins) is given the opportunity, hopefully he makes the most of it."

The financial enticement is a major boost to Richmond, though the Tigers last night did not wish to discuss the offer.

"The club has not received any formal representations in relation to Ben Cousins," a spokeswoman said. "We don't want to comment on hypotheticals."

The spokeswoman added the club expected in the next couple of months to secure a co-major sponsor to join Dick Smith Electronics.

A conglomerate of family members makes up the Dimattina Group, which owns Carlton restaurants Il Gambero and Dimattina's and Southbank cafe Blue Train.

The group, run by Paul Dimattina since October this year when Frank handed over the reins, also owns Bourke St restaurant Society and the Dimattina Coffee company.

It is understood Terry Wallace is aware of the Dimattina offer.

Wallace first contacted Cousins and his management about three weeks ago while Brisbane and St Kilda debated the 30-year-old's future.

Cousins flew to Melbourne on Thursday, pleaded his case to Wallace and returned to Perth.

The Dimattinas, who said they would not impose conditions on how the club spent the donation, have also criticised corporate sponsors who have publicly interfered in Cousins's bid to return to football.

"From a sponsorship perspective, all the other sponsors have too much to say in a negative aspect," Paul Dimattina said.

"There's been a lot of people who haven't supported the guy from what I've been reading. Everyone deserves a second shot in life.

``You would hate to see how his life may spiral out of control if he isn't given another chance."

Mr Dimattina said he would consider making the funds available to any club that took on Cousins.

"I'm sure the family would look at it," he said.

GVGjr
14-12-2008, 04:50 PM
They denied this on SEN a bit earlier. It seems an excessive amount of money as an incentive to draft someone.

LostDoggy
14-12-2008, 09:15 PM
They denied this on SEN a bit earlier. It seems an excessive amount of money as an incentive to draft someone.

Tell Dimma we need the money old mate!!!!!