PDA

View Full Version : Callan Ward - 2009/10

Stevo
12-12-2008, 09:47 AM
Out of all the rookies last year Ward stood out because of his balance and poise and he even acquitted himself well when he played senior football. From what I have read his form fluctuated between good and patchy for Williamstown as well which is understandable given he was a bottom aged draftee.
Even after this impressive debut I'm not sure where I see him fitting into the side. I don't know if he is a midfielder defender or even a forward. I suspect that he will be able to play on a flank or wing where he can use his pace but does anyone have an idea of what position he might make his own ?
I remember reading a comparison to James Hird which is high praise to the extreme and very premature I would have thought but does he posses they type of qualities that would allow him to perform wherever the coach needs him to much like Sheedy was able to do with Hird ?

I'm not placing to many expectations on him for 2009 because so many youngsters struggle in the sophomore season but I will watch his development closely. With a few senior guys likely to move on in the next two seasons opportunities will open up for Ward and I will be interested to see where he fits in.

bornadog
12-12-2008, 10:29 AM
Due to his schooling (VCE), his training was effected and therefore his consisitency also. I see him playing on half foward with some stints in the mid field. He is a very couragous player, great football brain and his disposal is terrific. I am expecting him to start to cement a place in the team. I also feel he can be played down back if necessary.

GVGjr
12-12-2008, 12:06 PM
He can play anywhere but will be better suited/utilised to a role in the forward line. I still remember a couple of his performances for the Jets where he played as a forward (one in a final) and his footy smarts really stood out.

Bumper Bulldogs
18-12-2008, 11:19 PM
Looks like he will replace the Eagle and play off the wing / HF.

Would be interested in seeing him with a good pre-season and given a go in the NAB.

craigsahibee
19-12-2008, 10:15 AM
A Goal to Goal line of Lake, Williams, Cooney, Murphy and Grant with the likes of Ward, Griffen, Gilbee, Everitt, Higgins as the link players is pretty exciting. Throw in Johnno, Aker, Hahn, Shaggy and Morris and it all starts to get rather tantalising.

Go_Dogs
19-12-2008, 10:21 AM
A Goal to Goal line of Lake, Williams, Cooney, Murphy and Grant with the likes of Ward, Griffen, Gilbee, Everitt, Higgins as the link players is pretty exciting. Throw in Johnno, Aker, Hahn, Shaggy and Morris and it all starts to get rather tantalising.

Agreed. Looking over our list in the thread TCD posted, we certainly have a very exciting young list, with a very good senior and mid-tier group. Going to be an exciting season.

strebla
19-12-2008, 11:54 AM
Agreed. Looking over our list in the thread TCD posted, we certainly have a very exciting young list, with a very good senior and mid-tier group. Going to be an exciting season.
I think it is going to be a very exiting 5 tyo 10 years for this club. I believe his best posistion will be on the wing with a run forward or on the ball occasionaly I see no need for him to go back.

LostDoggy
19-12-2008, 11:43 PM
The NAB cup will be a good spot to work out where he is best suited. At the moment I would play him in the forward pocket.

MrMahatma
20-12-2008, 08:06 AM
Pretty sure he'll end up a mid. He's going to be a gem I feel

Cyberdoggie
20-12-2008, 10:49 AM
Looks like he will replace the Eagle and play off the wing / HF.

Would be interested in seeing him with a good pre-season and given a go in the NAB.

Exactly, he's always been a hff, hbf type as he can use his best assets (vision, goal sense and accurate penetrating kick) in spotting up forwards, long shots at goal etc.

He's not a pocket player, i think he prefers to be further up the ground but no quite a midfielder just yet. His pace is his only real weakness.

Dry Rot
14-02-2009, 12:28 PM
The NAB cup will be a good spot to work out where he is best suited. At the moment I would play him in the forward pocket.

Seemed quite at home in the midfield last to me. Already looks like he belongs out there. Eagleton might be looking over his shoulder.......

lemmon
14-02-2009, 03:47 PM
Seemed quite at home in the midfield last to me. Already looks like he belongs out there. Eagleton might be looking over his shoulder.......

Seemed a bit quiet to me, did the good contested stuff though and his last quarter was good. Managed to work himself into the game.

strebla
15-02-2009, 01:52 AM

If I were Eagleton I would be looking in front of me As that is where Hill,Ward and Addison are at the moment.

Before I Die
16-02-2009, 12:36 AM
If I were Eagleton I would be looking in front of me As that is where Hill,Ward and Addison are at the moment.

Are any of those three ball carriers who can kick over the lines? I think Eagleton's days are numbered, but I am not sure if we have a ready made replacement for the role he plays. Ray was the most likely, but a ball carrier who can't hit targets is a liability not an advantage. I think this is the reason we rookie drafted White, Daniels and Ogle.

Ward will be a 200 gamer, but I don't think it will in Eagleton's role.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-02-2009, 02:07 PM
Are any of those three ball carriers who can kick over the lines? I think Eagleton's days are numbered, but I am not sure if we have a ready made replacement for the role he plays. Ray was the most likely, but a ball carrier who can't hit targets is a liability not an advantage. I think this is the reason we rookie drafted White, Daniels and Ogle.

Not sure about White and Ogle, I haven't seen too much of them, and I think White was probably a little lucky to even be kept on the rookie list.

As far as Daniels taking over Eagleton's role - no chance. His disposal is poor and his decision making is arguably worse. He's a hard, tough runner - but he too (Like Ray) wouldn't come close to taking over Eagleton's role.

I would predict Eagle to play 15 games this season, and finals depends on form. He rarely runs and carries the football, his kicking accuracy has gone down and he still doesn't have a defensive game. IMO - he's in trouble. The only thing saving him is that there isn't a clear replacement, but if he's not doing well enough, then players like Hill, Ward and even Higgins will share the role. Possibly Everitt too.

Mofra
16-02-2009, 09:31 PM
Are any of those three ball carriers who can kick over the lines? I think Eagleton's days are numbered, but I am not sure if we have a ready made replacement for the role he plays.
Hill will overtake hiom for endurance (if he hasn't already) and has his kicking accuracy of years past (although not his distance).

One thing that really stood out in the NAB cup was how much Addison's field kicking has improved. The final piece of the puzzle for DFA looks to have fallen into place.

Before I Die
16-02-2009, 09:58 PM
Not sure about White and Ogle, I haven't seen too much of them, and I think White was probably a little lucky to even be kept on the rookie list.

I know it is a touch off thread, but I thought White had a couple of nice possessions in traffic when he came on in the last quarter, including good finishing skills. He may yet surprise.

LostDoggy
17-02-2009, 12:16 AM
Out of all the rookies last year Ward stood out because of his balance and poise and he even acquitted himself well when he played senior football. From what I have read his form fluctuated between good and patchy for Williamstown as well which is understandable given he was a bottom aged draftee.
Even after this impressive debut I'm not sure where I see him fitting into the side. I don't know if he is a midfielder defender or even a forward. I suspect that he will be able to play on a flank or wing where he can use his pace but does anyone have an idea of what position he might make his own ?
I remember reading a comparison to James Hird which is high praise to the extreme and very premature I would have thought but does he posses they type of qualities that would allow him to perform wherever the coach needs him to much like Sheedy was able to do with Hird ?

I'm not placing to many expectations on him for 2009 because so many youngsters struggle in the sophomore season but I will watch his development closely. With a few senior guys likely to move on in the next two seasons opportunities will open up for Ward and I will be interested to see where he fits in.

I too will be interested as I have been watching the Bulldogs since 1959 and I can tell you now, without putting pressure on the young man, his moves remind me of the great man E.J. We must remember however that last year he was still a schoolboy.

MrMahatma
17-02-2009, 12:51 AM

Bear in mind Ward's age. He'll be able to kick longer and longer over the next couple of years once he gets more power in his legs. He has good technique, and he kicked 50+ easily the other night, so he could quite possibly turn into a 60+ kicker.

I'm as excited about Ward as I am about anyone on our list at the moment. I think he's a gem.

Cyberdoggie
25-02-2009, 03:44 PM
He can play anywhere but will be better suited/utilised to a role in the forward line. I still remember a couple of his performances for the Jets where he played as a forward (one in a final) and his footy smarts really stood out.

I think i'm thinking of the same game.

He was a class above everyone else on the field that day, and it was a final.
He often does go quiet but then he'll stand up and do something fantastic.

Ward has the rare ability to stand up when it counts and win matches.
I've seen him do it at the Jets and he has done it at Williamstown as well.

Picture the dogs in a final, Kick after the siren from 45-50 out. Goal will end in victory.
Right now i would have my money on Gilbee but if he wasn't available it would be on Ward.
Not because he's a good kick but because he has the poise and mental toughness to stand up in that situation.

I've got Ward in my Dreamteam this year, i think he'll have a great year and will show what he is capable of now that his body is considerably stronger.

LostDoggy
25-02-2009, 05:17 PM

As long as we are playing Eagleton we are not a serious danger to winning a flag. His performance in last year's preliminary final was his death knell.

His kicking when under any sort of pressure is now highly suspect and his defensive side is non-existent.

Whoever replaces him will make a more significant contribution to the cause than he.

Sockeye Salmon
25-02-2009, 05:32 PM
As long as we are playing Eagleton we are not a serious danger to winning a flag. His performance in last year's preliminary final was his death knell.

His kicking when under any sort of pressure is now highly suspect and his defensive side is non-existent.

Whoever replaces him will make a more significant contribution to the cause than he.

The rolling zone type defense that it looks like every team is going to employ this season means less room for an outside player like Eagle to work in.

I think he's in trouble

Mantis
25-02-2009, 05:46 PM
The rolling zone type defense that it looks like every team is going to employ this season means less room for an outside player like Eagle to work in.

I think he's in trouble

:)

No really :D

LostDoggy
25-02-2009, 05:48 PM
Callan will play the full 22 games this season, well that's what Rocket thinks anyway.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
25-02-2009, 07:30 PM
Callan will play the full 22 games this season, well that's what Rocket thinks anyway.

I wouldn't be surprised if Rocket's comment is more a statement made to encourage the lad and let him know he has raised expectations on him this year. I'd be surprised if he played the full 22 games, but I do think he will play at least a dozen. There is a lot to like about Callan.

Dry Rot
25-02-2009, 07:39 PM
The Swans fans are pretty excited about Craig Bird - how would you compare Ward with him?

mighty_west
25-02-2009, 08:04 PM
The Swans fans are pretty excited about Craig Bird - how would you compare Ward with him?

Bird caught my eye in the under 18's a few years ago, thought he looked the goods back then, haven't seen enough of him at the Swannies though, but from what i have seen, seems quite composed with the ball.

Just with Ward, Will Minson was on SEN this arvo really high praise for Wardy, really puts his head over the ball, goes in for the hard ball etc, all the players enjoy having him in the side, gave him a huge wrap.

mighty_west
25-02-2009, 08:08 PM

Eagle can quite an important player in the side, goal kicking midfielders are hard to come by, and can really snag an important goal every now & then.

Saying that, we also have some awesome talent coming through such as Ward, so players like Eagle really have to keep on top of their game.

I guess the one thing he has on his side is that goal kicking ability, players such as Reid & Wood really need to keep improving their skills.

LostDoggy
25-02-2009, 10:20 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Rocket's comment is more a statement made to encourage the lad and let him know he has raised expectations on him this year. I'd be surprised if he played the full 22 games, but I do think he will play at least a dozen. There is a lot to like about Callan.

Agree that there is heaps to like about the young man, he looks to be a leader, talent & match winner all rolled into one.

Rocket was asked which of the young guys he thinks will step up & produce this year, and he said he expects Callan to make a permanent spot for himself in the team.

I guess it's all up to Callan to now prove Rocket correct.

GVGjr
25-02-2009, 10:27 PM
I don't think he is 19 just yet so whilst it's great to see Eade talking him up on SEN I'd like to think that we have set him a more realistic goal than the full 22 H&A games. It would be great if he achieved that but perhaps a target of 12 senior games with a mid season review to see if he is on track would be a better and more realistic benchmark.

He will play across half forward a lot and normally this isn't a high possession spot for the younger players. I suspect every now and then he will need a game or two back at Williamstown so that he can rack up 25 plus possessions to run him back into form.

hujsh
25-02-2009, 11:18 PM
Eagle can quite an important player in the side, goal kicking midfielders are hard to come by, and can really snag an important goal every now & then.

I guess the one thing he has on his side is that goal kicking ability, players such as Reid & Wood really need to keep improving their skills.

Does he kick enough goals to be classified as a goal kicking mid?

He had 18 from 23 last year and 13 from 20 in 07.

That's 31 from 43 games in the last two years.

Before that he was doing much better with 48 goals in 43 games.

His long shots are looking less likely to be on target each year so i don't see him kicking so many nowdays.

LostDoggy
27-02-2009, 01:58 PM
The logic of Eagle's retention must be due to the 18-man flood/full field press that teams will be employing this year -- anyone with the ability to kick goals from 50/55 metres and/or long over the lines will have some value.

The thing is, I'm sure Eagle can still do most of this stuff in training when the pressure is lower -- his skills aren't going to disappear overnight -- but, as has been pointed out, he hasn't been doing this consistently in game situations for over 2 years now. He's completely lost the composure he used to have, and this is probably a combination of the dramatically increased pressure and pace of the game and his own physical decline.

Jasper
03-03-2009, 03:16 PM
does any one know why ward didn't play friday and will he be going up to play the swans?

Bulldog Revolution
03-03-2009, 05:18 PM
does any one know why ward didn't play friday and will he be going up to play the swans?

it was reported in the paper he was rested

he was pretty quiet in the intra club match the week before

bornadog
05-04-2009, 11:40 PM
Even though he made a few mistakes this week, this kid is going to be very very good. He did some great things today and certainly wasn't our worse player. Help create a few goals and won some clearances from the centre. Tried to back himself a few times and got caught but hey, that is great to have the confidence, to take them on. As for guts and endeavour, Ward has it all. I would certainly not drop him for next week as he is still learning and doing some great things on the field for a soon to be 19 year old.

lemmon
06-04-2009, 12:48 AM
For me his last quarter was the most impressive quarter of footy I've seen from him. Was massive in the clearances and was always tying up or winning the 50/50 ball. Hes a hard nut with great skills and a footy brain, he's still adjusting to the speed of the game though and was run down on a few occasions. Interesting as well that hes spending most of his time in the middle.

bornadog
06-04-2009, 10:24 AM
For me his last quarter was the most impressive quarter of footy I've seen from him. Was massive in the clearances and was always tying up or winning the 50/50 ball. Hes a hard nut with great skills and a footy brain, he's still adjusting to the speed of the game though and was run down on a few occasions. Interesting as well that hes spending most of his time in the middle.

Similar to last week when he had a great last quarter.

Dry Rot
21-08-2009, 11:44 PM
When the heat was on, Ward delivered tonight IMO. Did some tough and important things tonight.

DOG GOD
21-08-2009, 11:55 PM
But missed an easy goal DR when we really needed it, but other than that some of his work was very impressive.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-08-2009, 12:10 AM
When the heat was on, Ward delivered tonight IMO. Did some tough and important things tonight.

My word yes. The miss on goal thankfully didn't hurt us, his poise in close, and his hardness at the contest was fantastic. Just has a mature head on his shoulders.
He doesn't have any glaring weaknesses, solid all round.
Tackled his heart out tonight, and put himself in plenty of contests. Critically at times even when he couldn't clearly win the ball at least kept his head over it and kept it going forward.

NoName
22-08-2009, 12:16 AM
Love watching Cal play, ever since he made his debut he has become one of my favourite players.

LostDoggy
22-08-2009, 12:28 AM
Wardy looked like he belonged, didn't he. Tough as nails, and great awareness.

hujsh
22-08-2009, 12:33 AM
But missed an easy goal DR when we really needed it, but other than that some of his work was very impressive.

That was bad but the way he too that mark was super impressive

Bulldog Revolution
22-08-2009, 12:35 AM
Terrific tonight

I particularly enjoyed the bits where he found himself on Selwood

bornadog
22-08-2009, 01:01 AM
10 tackles is awesome and add the 7 that Reid laid.

BulldogBelle
22-08-2009, 01:02 AM
l love this Kid:D

Rance Fan
22-08-2009, 01:06 AM
"The junkyard dog" --- Sooo Tough!

Jordan McMahan.... hehehhe

GVGjr
22-08-2009, 01:12 AM
He took a couple of heavy knocks tonight but answered the challenge. He really has adjusted well to senior football.

Dry Rot
22-08-2009, 01:18 AM
He took a couple of heavy knocks tonight but answered the challenge. He really has adjusted well to senior football.

Re heavy knocks, looked his shoulder was rooted, but came back on and was fine.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-08-2009, 01:20 AM
Re heavy knocks, looked his shoulder was rooted, but came back on and was fine.

Probably one of our most successful uses of a draft pick that we've got for trading a player in recent memory.
Realistically does anyone know how much further in the draft Callan would've lasted if we didn't have that pick in the draft?

FrediKanoute
22-08-2009, 01:24 AM
First time I've seem Wardy play in 12 months and he was impressive. He has good size about him, excellent balance and the ability to accelerate quickly away from a pack. A lot to like about him.

Dry Rot
22-08-2009, 01:26 AM
Probably one of our most successful uses of a draft pick that we've got for trading a player in recent memory.
Realistically does anyone know how much further in the draft Callan would've lasted if we didn't have that pick in the draft?

IMO, the best thing about him tonight was his efforts in high pressure situations - got most of that right IMO. Surprisingly good decision making in traffic against top flight opposition IMO.

The Coon Dog
22-08-2009, 01:26 AM

Just looked at 2 mock drafts that year & one had Cal going at pick 19, the other at pick 25.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-08-2009, 01:29 AM
IMO, the best thing about him tonight was his efforts in high pressure situations - got most of that right IMO. Surprisingly good decision making in traffic against top flight opposition IMO.

Totally agree. on a few occasions in traffic resisted the temptation to offload the ball and by subtle turning of the body was able to get free and move through the congestion.
Has lovely poise and obviously loves the hard stuff. Great how after coping the knock to the shoulder he dusted himself off and got on with it.

AndrewP6
22-08-2009, 01:44 AM
Agreed with most, Ward was good tonight.

bulldogsman
22-08-2009, 02:27 AM

West Coast wanted him with the next pick. I think they got Scott Selwood instead, a poor mans Callan Ward.

bulldogtragic
22-08-2009, 10:36 AM
Will be a freak. I'd like to see him vice-captain with Higgins. Young tough leaders.

LostDoggy
22-08-2009, 10:41 AM
Really stood up last night and has come of age! Great game Cal:)

boydogs
22-08-2009, 01:53 PM
Will be a freak. I'd like to see him vice-captain with Higgins. Young tough leaders.

Maybe a bit early to be captain if Higgo is injured, but seems cemented in our 22 and may be a chance for the leadership group

bulldogtragic
22-08-2009, 02:06 PM
Maybe a bit early to be captain if Higgo is injured, but seems cemented in our 22 and may be a chance for the leadership group
Perhaps, i just like the thought of the young very talented captain, in the mould of Carey or Cousins (before their dickhead stage). Higgo could be a special leader, and i'd prefer him as the next captain, as opposed to sa Gia who may only put in 4 or 5 years. I'd like another long term captain.

LostDoggy
22-08-2009, 02:11 PM
His hands at ground level to pick up the ball in dispute, are second to none.

bulldogtragic
22-08-2009, 02:17 PM
Just another kick in Richmond's guts last night. He has always been good, but his efforts last night really showed to me another level of class. His only blemish was that last quarter miss, but he has the potential to be a competition superstar.

DOG GOD
22-08-2009, 02:18 PM
His hands at ground level to pick up the ball in dispute, are second to none.

Absolutely JH40, Wards ability in close to get his hands on the ball, especially blow his knees is very impressive. He has good pace off the mark, and seems to have good strength in those hips, so that when he is tackled he's no longer thrown to the ground. The mark he took 30 out from goal was awesome (unfortunately didnt finish the good work), but to think that we have wardy and richmond have jordy puts a smile on my face.

He's fast becoming one of my favourite players. Still plenty of improvement in the young fella, but the future looks very bright and exciting if he keeps working hard and keeps his head on straight.

Good times ahead, and i agree with the other poster that mentioned him to be a possible in the leadership group in the next year or 2.

ledge
22-08-2009, 02:34 PM
Ward is our next Johnno.

westdog54
22-08-2009, 07:34 PM
I was reading some match reports at work today.

Matt Burgan on afl.com.au couldn't even fit him into one of his 8 bests for us. I was gobsmacked.

10 tackles, 19 possessions and awareness that belies his age.

Watching Ward and Selwood go at it, there's the future of this game right there people.

LostDoggy
26-08-2009, 01:02 AM
I'd love to see him in our leadership group in the upcoming years as he shows great signs of leadership at such a young age

Sedat
26-08-2009, 12:51 PM
Matt Burgan on afl.com.au couldn't even fit him into one of his 8 bests for us. I was gobsmacked.

10 tackles, 19 possessions and awareness that belies his age.
If he's like a fair chunk of present-day journos, the sum total of his 'research' would have been to look up the top 8 possession getters for us and list the best players from there :rolleyes:

LostDoggy
26-08-2009, 01:43 PM
So true

And don't you hate that?

anfo27
26-08-2009, 10:52 PM
I just love his attitude when he's out there. The look on his face tells me that he has so much confidence in his game that he won't be intimidated or pushed around by anyone. He goes out there like its a war and puts his body on the line at every contest. Just love this kid, as tough as old boots. Agree with a few other posters that he has leadership written all over him. For such a tough inside player he still gets forward to kick goals.