PDA

View Full Version : A few things

The Coon Dog
12-12-2008, 10:30 AM
I caught up with Rocket last night & had a bit of a chat about the club.

Briefly:

* Bill Davoren, our new fitness guy is sensational. Players are training the house down & doing it hard, but really enjoying it. Rocket rates him the best in the field, even above Justin Cordy.

* Griff is much fitter & may rest up forward this season rather than being rotated off the bench.

* Concerned with 2 early games in the heat in Perth next season, so won't take too many older players up to Darwin for the NAB Cup. Clearly the focus is on the home & away season.

* The decision on Westy was the toughest Rocket has made as a coach.

* Paul Williams wants our forwards to be prepared to block more for one another & wants a greater emphasis on tackling.

* Sees a role in the midfield for Callan Ward.

* Ayce Cordy to wear #49, Jarrod Grant to wear #1, Sam Reid to wear #11, Shaun Higgins to wear #7 & Jordan Roughhead to wear #23.

* Shaun Higgins working hard on his endurance so he can play a bit in the midfield.

* If others follow the lead of Hawthorn & set up zones here, there & everywhere football may get ugly as no one would be prepared to come through the corridor.

Scraggers
12-12-2008, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the insight TCD ...

It is great to hear about Bill Davoren doing a good job ...

Just as an aside, what would be the chances of getting Rocket, one of the assistant coaches, or even some of the players on one night as a sort of 'live forum' ??

It would be great to ask them questions about the up coming season, different coaching decisions, or training methods and other stuff like that

strebla
12-12-2008, 11:48 AM
Great stuff TCD you are unbelievable

LostDoggy
12-12-2008, 11:53 AM
Thanks TCD I look forward to your I mean "The Wheelie Bin Bandit" Updates on how the guys are doing over the Summer seeing how access to training is limited.

Sockeye Salmon
12-12-2008, 12:03 PM
Thanks TCD I look forward to your I mean "The Wheelie Bin Bandit" Updates on how the guys are doing over the Summer seeing how access to training is limited.

I'm not sure that access is limited any more. You can go down and watch now, can't you? Anyone?

LostDoggy
12-12-2008, 12:05 PM
Great stuff TCD

The next Scott West.

Sockeye Salmon
12-12-2008, 12:10 PM
Great stuff TCD

The next Scott West.

How about the first Callan Ward?

LostDoggy
12-12-2008, 12:15 PM
Even Better SS :D

Go_Dogs
12-12-2008, 12:58 PM
Interesting re: the zones.

I get a feeling we'll see some seriously defensive footy this coming season. (not us but league wide).

Mantis
12-12-2008, 01:11 PM
I'm not sure that access is limited any more. You can go down and watch now, can't you? Anyone?

I have also heard that all sessions are now open to the public.

Hopefully when the player's get back from there break all details about upcoming sessions will be posted on the club's website.

The Coon Dog
12-12-2008, 01:18 PM
Hopefully when the player's get back from there break all details about upcoming sessions will be posted on the club's website.

You're optimistic!

Mantis
12-12-2008, 01:31 PM
You're optimistic!

Perhaps..

Maybe he can just let you know and you can post it here to keep us informed.

westdog54
12-12-2008, 02:40 PM

I can't speak for training session access but I'm told RecFooty will be back on the ground in Feb, which I'm guessing means access to the ground/viewing areas will be vastly improved.

Happy Days
12-12-2008, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the update TCD.

Any word on what number Liam Jones will wear?

Scorlibo
13-12-2008, 01:02 AM
Thanks very much TCD, I can't wait to see our 2009 midfield with Cross, Cooney, Griffen, Boyd and Ward and Higgins in bits. B-E-A-U-tiful.

Also good to hear that Williams is trying to introduce some blocking to the forwardline. It's something Geelong do very, very well and one of the reasons their plays flows so smoothly.

The Underdog
14-12-2008, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the update TCD.

Any word on what number Liam Jones will wear?

Rumour is he'll wear 19 (sorry mjp, the curse continues)

Sockeye Salmon
14-12-2008, 07:44 PM
Rumour is he'll wear 19 (sorry mjp, the curse continues)

Rocket said the other night he thought he would probably take 24, but it was his choice.

hujsh
10-01-2009, 04:06 AM
Why copy the premiers each year. Syd didn't copy Port, WCE didn't copy the Swans, Geeelong did't copy the Eagles and the Hawks didn't copy Geelong.

Yet teams seem to think they should follow the trend.

westdog54
10-01-2009, 02:27 PM
Why copy the premiers each year. Syd didn't copy Port, WCE didn't copy the Swans, Geeelong did't copy the Eagles and the Hawks didn't copy Geelong.

Yet teams seem to think they should follow the trend.

I presume you're referring to this bit:

* If others follow the lead of Hawthorn & set up zones here, there & everywhere football may get ugly as no one would be prepared to come through the corridor.

I think he's trying to say that he's afraid of what might happen if others copy the premiers.

MrMahatma
11-01-2009, 12:54 AM

I think he's trying to say that he's afraid of what might happen if others copy the premiers.
Probably - which is what everyone was worried about when Sydney won the flag playing Rugby. Didn't happen. And won't happen this year. Some teams will try it, but not every team has the right structure or player stocks to pull it off - Hawthorn recruited to a plan, you can't just copy it and expect the same results.

The good thing is, that Geelong and Hawks are both attacking sides, as are we - so the top few teams are now more about scoring than stopping at all costs, which I think is good for football.

hujsh
11-01-2009, 01:10 AM

But there's a good a few at least will try. Like that period where many teams were trying be be like Sydney or Adelaide and played defensively.