PDA

View Full Version : Williamstown at the Whitten Oval

GVGjr
13-12-2008, 01:57 PM
With Williamstown playing their games at the Whitten Oval in 2009 due to the redevelopment of Burbank Oval it could be an exciting year for both clubs to really strengthen their commitment to each other.

As a regular Williamstown watcher, I'm looking forward to seeing some games back at the Whitten Oval.

bulldogtragic
13-12-2008, 02:42 PM
With Williamstown playing their games at the Whitten Oval in 2009 due to the redevelopment of Burbank Oval it could be an exciting year for both clubs to really strengthen their commitment to each other.

As a regular Williamstown watcher, I'm looking forward to seeing some games back at the Whitten Oval.
I would love it a little more if they wore the red, white and blue for one game.

westdog54
13-12-2008, 02:51 PM
I would love it a little more if they wore the red, white and blue for one game.

Not sure long time Williamstown supporters will share that view.

bornadog
13-12-2008, 02:51 PM

Whats happening at Burbank? Prime realestate site there. Be great to watch a few games at Whitten Oval.

LostDoggy
13-12-2008, 02:52 PM
I did't know that - I will have to make an effort to go down and watch them. Is there a fixture anywhere?

GVGjr
13-12-2008, 03:03 PM
Whats happening at Burbank? Prime realestate site there. Be great to watch a few games at Whitten Oval.

5m redevelopment means that they can't play there in 2009.

GVGjr
13-12-2008, 03:16 PM
I did't know that - I will have to make an effort to go down and watch them. Is there a fixture anywhere?

I just checked a website and it had Burbank oval still listed for the home games. I might need to check this a bit further.

GVGjr
13-12-2008, 05:17 PM
I'm fairly certain that Williamstown will play their games at the Whitten Oval just for 2009 although I don't think it has been confirmed. Great chance for those keen to see a high standard game getting played at the WO.

LostDoggy
13-12-2008, 05:30 PM
Managed to get to 2 Williamstown games last year and now i live round the corner from the kennel so i will be going down to support them even more..

mighty_west
13-12-2008, 06:27 PM

So would you "love it" if the Dogs wore the blue & gold for a game as a square off?

:rolleyes:

Desipura
13-12-2008, 08:18 PM
so the supposed 1,500 population that was mentioned in another post is incorrect I take it

GVGjr
13-12-2008, 08:27 PM
so the supposed 1,500 population that was mentioned in another post is incorrect I take it

Why do you think that? This has only happened because of the redevelopment of Burbank Oval and playing some games there is only a short term deal. The venue won't be capable of housing the type of crowd volumes needed to host an NAB cup game like you were proposing.

Desipura
13-12-2008, 08:47 PM
Why do you think that? This has only happened because of the redevelopment of Burbank Oval and playing some games there is only a short term deal. The venue won't be capable of housing the type of crowd volumes needed to host an NAB cup game like you were proposing.

Why do I think that? Not sure of the fixture however if Willi play Werribee at the Whitten Oval in 2009, they would get pretty close to the 1,500 population don't you think?

GVGjr
13-12-2008, 10:42 PM
Why do I think that? Not sure of the fixture however if Willi play Werribee at the Whitten Oval in 2009, they would get pretty close to the 1,500 population don't you think?

But not much more. 1,500 is actually a good figure. Of course the figure could be stretched a bit but not much more because they won't have the amenities.
To host a NAB game as you wanted would require about 10,000 I would have thought.

strebla
14-12-2008, 12:16 AM
Willy and Werribee along with the Port game will be huge I can't wait to go home

Dogs 24/7
14-12-2008, 09:03 AM
This will be a good thing for both clubs. It will probably give Willy access to the learning centre and will mean the players from both clubs will train together more often than they otherwise could.
I'll make the effort to get to a few more games as well.

LostDoggy
14-12-2008, 10:29 AM
This is great news. It has been way to long since i've seen a game at the Whitten Oval.

LostDoggy
14-12-2008, 06:46 PM
Willy and Werribee along with the Port game will be huge I can't wait to go home

These games will be great ,it will be awesome to pack the place full of doggie supporters.
Maybe a family day & sell more memberships in a early game will be smart!
Do Willy play Werribee or Port early in the year at whitten oval?

mighty_west
14-12-2008, 07:18 PM
But not much more. 1,500 is actually a good figure. Of course the figure could be stretched a bit but not much more because they won't have the amenities.
To host a NAB game as you wanted would require about 10,000 I would have thought.

How many people do you reckon a Willy/Port game or a Willy/Bee's game attract though?

They could also have praccy matches there rather than at Optus, from the times i have been , they'd be lucky to have 1,000-1,500 there.

GVGjr
14-12-2008, 09:34 PM
How many people do you reckon a Willy/Port game or a Willy/Bee's game attract though?

They could also have praccy matches there rather than at Optus, from the times i have been , they'd be lucky to have 1,000-1,500 there.

I reckon 1,500 would be at the top end of crowd numbers for even the bigger games for the VFL.

Cyberdoggie
15-12-2008, 11:41 AM
If i'm not mistaken Whitten Oval is still in construction.

There is still the community sports center that hasn't started construction yet, I believe it was scheduled for completion in 2010.

How will they host games?, also the ground around the outskirts isn't accessible.

Will they only let people into the Whitten stand to watch the game?

Parking and ammenities will need some work, although i'm assuming the center building will be completed and there may be the shops/cafe also open.

I don't know how they could host a vfl game if you were only allowed to enter and watch from the grandstand.

LostDoggy
15-12-2008, 02:09 PM
Do Willy play Werribee or Port early in the year at whitten oval?

Not sure about Willy/Port ut i have the Werribee fixture and it says Willy/ Bees in Rd3 at Burbank(wel going by whats on here it will be at the Whitten Oval). Fixture says saturday the 25th of April, but i got an email telling me its now on the 26th of April and its a tv game, and if it is changed to the 26th then i think that clashes with the Bulldogs Carlton game at the dome.

Will be great to see some kind of footy being played back at the Whitten Oval tho.