PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Funding Night

The Coon Dog
16-12-2008, 12:10 AM
Tonight approximately 100 supporters attended a night at the Elite Learning Centre to hear a variety of speakers & hopefully raise some funds which will assist the club in obtaining additional rookies for 2009.

The night was the brainchild of Craig Stephens from Jas. H. Stephens Real Estate.

David Smorgon welcomed the guests & just explained where the club was at in a number of areas. He apoligised for cam Rose's absence tonight; he was meeting with prospective sponsors. I guess that was a good enough reason. David said that it's a very difficult time to try to land a sponsor, but we just wouldn't take anyone with any offer. He said the club knew what it was worth & wouldn't compromise on that. It was nice to see David acknowledge the presence of his predecessor Peter Gordon, who was there tonight.

James Fantasia then spoke about the importance of the Football Department & ensuring it was adequately resourced to compete with the likes of Adelaide & West Coast. He said he was disappointed that the AFL decided to allow each club an additional 2 rookies as it just made life easier for the richer clubs.

James then said that in the short time he's been at the club enormous steps had been taken to provide the players with the best possible facilities to assist them to compete with all other clubs. He then asked people to head off in small groups to tour the facilities. Lindasy Gilbee was my tour guide & there was Ryan Griffen, Adam Cooney, Matthew Boyd, Jared Harbrow & Dale Morris there aswell.

The players now have first rate gymnasium equipment with proper boards/mats. Previously they did exercises on concrete & if equipment was dropped it often cracked.

There is a room somewhat like a kitchen where the club houses a dietitian. After training the players can get protien shakes, but importantly they can have their dietry requirements monitored inhouse.

There is a new lounge for players to relax in. Shortly it will be equipped with a TV so players have somewhere to relax or study between training sessions.

The spa area has to be seen to be believed. There is a huge spa which I think Lindsay said sits 12, but nearby are half a dozen ice baths for the players to cool down in. Lindsay said they are usually about 10 degrees & quite cold, so sitting in there for 5 or 6 minutes can be a tough ordeal.

There is a huge auditorium/theatrette where Rocket does his debriefing & planning. It's like a mini cinema & now most players have their own seats. There is also a bank of computers in there allowing players internet access.

There is a sizeable video editing room where videos are made available for players showing clips of upcoming opponents etc...

The players lockers are a bit flash. They each have a keypad to keep their belongings private. This is a players only area & is off limits to the coaching staff.

There may be other aspects of the ELC that I have forgotten about that others will remember I'm sure.

Rocket then spoke & said the players were genuinely hurt about getting so close in 2008 & have vowed to improve on it in 2009 & just not be content as they were after 2006. He made it very clear that the players are working extremely hard under out new fitness guru Bill Davoren, citing Saturday's training session as the most physically gruelling he has ever seen. He has long term plans to keep us in the top 4 & playing finals every year for many years, not just drop off after 1 or 2 years.

Rocket then got Ayce Cordy, Liam Jones & Jordan Roughhead to talk a little about where they had come from. They were all extremely confident young men who spoke well. Ayce scored 97.4 in his VCE exams.

Rocket then brought up Dale Morris, Jarrod Harbrow & Matthew Boyd who explained how the rookie system allowed them to live their dream of becoming AFL footballers. Dale wrote to every club & sent videos of himself in action each year for 4 years!. Only Port Adelaide & the Bulldogs responded, with Port saying thanks, but no thanks. The Bulldogs asked Dale to play at Werribee where they could keep an eye on him. At 22 years of age he thought he'd missed the boat until the Bulldogs rookied him. He's just so grateful & wants to continue to repay the club for the faith it showed in him.

Robert Walls then spoke about where he saw the Bulldogs; slightly below Geelong & Hawthorn, but ahead of everyone else. He felt our premiership window was open & we had to strike. He said things could change quickly from one season to the next.

There was an auctioneer who spoke at 300 words a minute & he raised $5,000 in 2 auctions. One being a 1/10th share in a racehorse out of Juene & the other was lunch with 3 friends & Rocket & 2 players of the winners choice would attend.

He then sought pledges from the floor & from memory the amount pledged was approximately $50K, so hopefully that will assist significantly.

LostDoggy
16-12-2008, 01:27 AM
A great account Coon Dog, just a couple of things that I remember (there is other stuff that will come back to me).

Dale was the first person to stand and gave a pledge of $1000 - he is such a quality person.

For me not being able to get to club functions and events as much due to being too far away, it was an amazing night. I saw Gilbee sitting down next to Dan Lonergan chatting away, Peter Gordon was there, and so was the solicitor from Fightback dvd - without the hair:eek: The three new recruits were there as well and Ace is friggin tall!!!

Rick Kennedy and other past players were there - it was a the whose who of bulldog royalty.

The supporter that funded the Fiji experiment was there, and seemed keen on helping out the club where ever it needed help.

The players seemed really proud of their new facilities. Griffin showed us around and talked about not being able to feel his legs when they get out of the ice bath. They used to use an old wheelie bin filled with ice before they put them in - just shows how far we have come.

I had my pup and his mate with us, who went on a tour with Gilbee (their fav player) who they reckon was jumping up on everything and showing them all how it all worked.

Smorgy, said that he had smoked the pipe of peace with the Maribynong council, will shook hands actually, but both parties had agreed to get on and work together which is a relief to hear.

I wasn't too impressed with Wall's saying that we were equal third with the Saints - I think we have passed them.

Lastly Coon Dog introduced me to Rocket who was really great - I think since he has been at our club - things have only improved. I am just annoyed with myself for forgetting to ask Rocket who he wants in the draft tomorrow - I am hoping it will be Casey Sibosado.

I hope this is a regular event, because I would certainly continue to support it. The club got $52,000 in pledges and $5000 for the dinner with Rocket and the Racehorse shares - enough for one rookie - hopefully more.

Lastly it was great to meet some fellow woofers - a great bunch of people.

Scraggers
16-12-2008, 01:39 AM
Thanks TCD and DRB for a great account of the evenings preceedings.

I agree the club has come such a long way in such a short time, and it was great that the club was able to raise some much needed funds for tomorrow's rookie draft.

Go_Dogs
16-12-2008, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the reports guys.

I must say I'm shocked and amazed that the club couldn't dish out a few hundred dollars for some floor mats in the previous gym. That's just shocking!

LostDoggy
16-12-2008, 08:45 PM
Thanks for that guys, i drove past the Whitten oval on my way home and was wondering why all the cars were there.

Its great the club holds nights like this, i know the club and players do a lot, but wouldnt it be great if they had more fundraising nights, nights at the ELC(which ive only seen at the family day last year, would be great to see it again), nights out in the other suburbs, just to raise that extra cash so we can have the full list of rookies,and not have to rely on a few supporters to pitch in.

But yeah good write ups there, and although im not a Williamstown fan, im so happy Liam Picken is on our rookie list now, hopefully he comes along like the likes of Dale, Jarrod and Boydy

westdog54
17-12-2008, 11:48 AM
Great write-up TCD.

Very impressive by Ayce, 97.4, people don't realise how hard you have to work to get an ENTER score like that, most impressive.

Great to hear about the level of class in the new facilities. In this era of draft equalisation and salary caps its your capital and equipment that will set you apart, great to see we've got state of the art facilities in place.

Also good to see the players are hurting about bowing out when they did. Not 'accepting mediocrity'.

Sounds like a great night, shattered I missed it.