PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Draft Twitter

Twodogs
16-12-2008, 11:36 AM
http://www.afl.com.au/development/nabaflrisingstarsprogram/nabafldraft/draftnews/preseasonandrookiedrafts/tabid/13684/default.aspx

Twodogs
16-12-2008, 11:37 AM
afl_com_au: 14. WB - Jamason Daniels

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNy0sifU04I

http://www.fanfooty.com.au/players/profile.php?firstname=Jamason&surname=Daniels

LostDoggy
Jamason Daniels (our first rookie)
any info?

G-Mo77
Jamason Daniels any info?

LostDoggy
16-12-2008, 11:41 AM
lol Tigers pick up Gourdis anyway

G-Mo77
16-12-2008, 11:42 AM
Liam Picken with the other pick

Twodogs
16-12-2008, 11:42 AM
afl_com_au: 30. WB - Liam Picken

Desipura
16-12-2008, 11:44 AM
Played on a wing for Vic country fractured his leg in the finals and did not see the best of him. Inside footy

Mantis
16-12-2008, 11:44 AM
Jamason Daniels:

182cm 77kg

Midfielder from Murray Bushrangers

Had a broken leg this year.

Ran a 2.95sec 20m sprint & 13.4 beep.

Twodogs
16-12-2008, 11:46 AM
Jamason Daniels (our first rookie)
any info?

Jamason Daniels any info?

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=443770

LostDoggy
16-12-2008, 11:49 AM
The afl_com_au is annoying me. Way slower than Matt Burgan

LostDoggy
16-12-2008, 11:50 AM
We passed. Did we get that extra pick the club was trying to get?

bulldogtragic
16-12-2008, 11:55 AM
A replacement for Ray hopefullly (in time to come)

G-Mo77
16-12-2008, 11:58 AM
We passed. Did we get that extra pick the club was trying to get?

I thought we already had 4 Rookies so only 2 selections. I thought the extra one was Picken?

LostDoggy
16-12-2008, 12:00 PM
58. StK - Steve Gaertner
Pretty hyped up on the forums last year.
60. Geel - Ranga Ediriwickrama
Isn't this guy an absolute gun? How'd he slip?

Cyberdoggie
16-12-2008, 12:00 PM
Didn't we have to pick up Ogle?

or is that already calculated in the pass? (ie last years rookies)

confusing but i don't think we have 7 rookies.

Cyberdoggie
16-12-2008, 12:01 PM
58. StK - Steve Gaertner

i'm not sure re Ranga,
however i do remember him being tied to Geelong, ie NSW scholarship pick like Ogle is to the WB's. So they had priority pick on him.

Twodogs
Didn't we have to pick up Ogle?

or is that already calculated in the pass? (ie last years rookies)

confusing but i don't think we have 7 rookies.

Ogle was already listed as a 5th round rookie pick to us in the list I saw this morning before the draft started.

aker39
Ogle was already listed as a 5th round rookie pick to us in the list I saw this morning before the draft started.

Yes, we took him with pick 72

Twodogs
16-12-2008, 12:02 PM
58. StK - Steve Gaertner

The red hair? Everyone hates rangas.

Cyberdoggie
16-12-2008, 12:02 PM
Aha,

i see know we have Chris Ogle at pick 72, why didn't we just pick him up at our first pass.

weird.

bulldogtragic
16-12-2008, 12:03 PM
Mulligan, Shaw, White, Daniels, Picken, Ogle

6 Rookies

Plus our two Fijians. Go Inoke.

LostDoggy
16-12-2008, 12:03 PM
Yes, we took him with pick 72

That's what confused me. Why would we do that after passing one or two rounds? I thought once you passed that was it.

LostDoggy
16-12-2008, 12:05 PM
Does the salary change per round like the National Draft?

Scraggers
16-12-2008, 12:18 PM
Pick 69. COLL L. Keefe (3 yr non-reg)

Interesting ... anyone know anything about him ... only Collingwood would pull of a pick like this

Twodogs
16-12-2008, 12:20 PM
Pick 69. COLL L. Keefe (3 yr non-reg)

Interesting ... anyone know anything about him ... only Collingwood would pull of a pick like this

What does '3 yr non-reg' mean?

LostDoggy
16-12-2008, 12:22 PM
What does '3 yr non-reg' mean?

They haven't played footy for a club for 3 years.

LostDoggy
16-12-2008, 12:24 PM
Really a club could see a future Buddy Franklin and develop him without any of the other clubs geting access to him. A good way to get a young gun cheap. But it could also effect their development.

Twodogs
16-12-2008, 12:29 PM
They haven't played footy for a club for 3 years.

OK, thanks.

So it's a bit like the players who came back from WW1-IIRC if they'd been OS for three years they got to choose which club they played with.

LostDoggy
16-12-2008, 12:33 PM
OK, thanks.

So it's a bit like the players who came back from WW1-IIRC if they'd been OS for three years they got to choose which club they played with.

I guess so. Slightly off topic, Ben Cousins is paying for himself already. Apparently the Richmond Membership department is being flooded atm with new members.

Dancin' Douggy
16-12-2008, 12:40 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/development/nabaflrisingstarsprogram/nabafldraft/draftnews/preseasonandrookiedrafts/tabid/13684/default.aspx

Hey can we keep politics off WOOF in regards how to vote.

Twodogs
16-12-2008, 12:41 PM
I guess so. Slightly off topic, Ben Cousins is paying for himself already. Apparently the Richmond Membership department is being flooded atm with new members.

So I hear. I hope they make them out of cardboard so when the invetible time to rip them up (Probably around R8 or 9) comes it'll be easier for them.

Twodogs
16-12-2008, 12:43 PM
Hey can we keep politics off WOOF in regards how to vote.

When the Greens stop using my club for their cheap political stunts, then I'll stop gunning for them.

strebla
16-12-2008, 12:55 PM
When the Greens stop using my club for their cheap political stunts, then I'll stop gunning for them.

I'm with Two Dogs on this

LostDoggy
16-12-2008, 12:57 PM
I'm with Two Dogs on this

Me three.

LostDoggy
16-12-2008, 01:40 PM

I'm still a bit confused as too why we were not in the mix for this guy?

Low membership base, crap exposure, minimal interest from sponsors, this guy would create a media circus all year long, pull many members out from the woodwork and literally pay for his own contract .

I understand that this guy has his issues and that we have a few ageing stars on our list. However, with the retirement of west and the development of Ward and Higgins still some time off, this guy would of been absolutely perfect for us.

Just picturing him in the mids with coons, and crossy, a scary propostiton for opp teams.

I also realise this is a highly ignorant post which only touches the surface and doesn't raise the concers that the club might of had. I wait for someone to fill me me cause where I'm standing there aint to much too lose if we got this guy.

LostDoggy
16-12-2008, 01:42 PM
I'm still a bit confused as too why we were not in the mix for this guy?

Low membership base, crap exposure, minimal interest from sponsors, this guy would create a media circus all year long, pull many members out from the woodwork and literally pay for his own contract .

I understand that this guy has his issues and that we have a few ageing stars on our list. However, with the retirement of west and the development of Ward and Higgins still some time off, this guy would of been absolutely perfect for us.

Just picturing him in the mids with coons, and crossy, a scary propostiton for opp teams.

I also realise this is a highly ignorant post which only touches the surface and doesn't raise the concers that the club might of had. I wait for someone to fill me me cause where I'm standing there aint to much too lose if we got this guy.

The reason I associated with it was Aker's allegations about Braun (Cousin's former team mate). Recruiting Cousins would make us look hypocritical IMO.

LostDoggy
16-12-2008, 01:46 PM
The reason I associated with it was Aker's allegations about Braun (Cousin's former team mate). Recruiting Cousins would make us look hypocritical IMO.

Soory man, I didnt' read back that far.

I simply read the part about how much the Tigz will profit from this guy, I wonder how consideration, if any, was given to this guy?

Scorlibo
16-12-2008, 01:57 PM
I don't think we would have put much thought into Cousins, from memory, Eade came out very soon after he was made available and said we would not be taking him.

I would liken Cousins to the Ring from Lord of the Rings. While extremely powerful, not safe and eventually it will turn your club Errm Frodo to darkness.

bulldogtragic
16-12-2008, 02:04 PM
I don't think we would have put much thought into Cousins, from memory, Eade came out very soon after he was made available and said we would not be taking him.

I would liken Cousins to the Ring from Lord of the Rings. While extremely powerful, not safe and eventually it will turn your club Errm Frodo to darkness.
Does that make Wallet, Schmegal?

Similar skin.

LostDoggy
16-12-2008, 02:14 PM
Club was against it on inside from start. Good stance by WBFC.

Richmond haven't bought themselves a finals place, they've bought themselves a media circus that will distract their playing list all year and baggage for their next coach after Wallet gets the sack mid-year (I'll put real money on this) before Cousins leaves the club in disgrace after his third positive (only a matter of time).

It'll all end in tears, and it couldn't happen to a nicer club.

Mofra
16-12-2008, 02:15 PM
I'm not sure Cousins is up to playing a full year of AFL football anyway. His last year at WCE was ruined by soft tissue injuries, and the game gets 4% faster every year.

LostDoggy
16-12-2008, 02:26 PM
Club was against it on inside from start. Good stance by WBFC.

Richmond haven't bought themselves a finals place, they've bought themselves a media circus that will distract their playing list all year and baggage for their next coach after Wallet gets the sack mid-year (I'll put real money on this) before Cousins leaves the club in disgrace after his third positive (only a matter of time).

It'll all end in tears, and it couldn't happen to a nicer club.

I dare say that Wallet and his team will be there abouts in Sept

From a playing point of view, Cousins at his finest would almost guarantee the tigz a finals birth. From a financial perspective, he will pay his own contract within the week with enough publicity to fuel that club for the next 2 years.

The risk would be whether his body breaks down and or tests positive. I doubt highly he would test positive, so the only potential risk, IMO, is whether his body stands up.

Dancin' Douggy
16-12-2008, 02:31 PM

I'm talking about a general rule of thumb. Footy not politics.

LostDoggy
16-12-2008, 02:33 PM
I'm talking about a general rule of thumb. Footy not politics.

Put in a complaint with Admin:D

LostDoggy
16-12-2008, 02:37 PM
I dare say that Wallet and his team will be there abouts in Sept

SURE they will. In ninth.

And the only reason Cuz won't test positive is if they totally fudge his results or the AFL collude to hide it. If the guy is not still on the juice I'm a five-legged chicken.

mighty_west
16-12-2008, 02:48 PM
The risk would be whether his body breaks down and or tests positive. I doubt highly he would test positive, so the only potential risk, IMO, is whether his body stands up.

How would you know that? He is a drug addict after all, and he has been given more than one chance, he went over to the States for rehab, yet didn't turn up & ended up on a drug binge....even with the footy world watching his every move!!!

He has a sign on his forehead that clearly states - STAY AWAY, and the 15 other clubs could see that.

Even clubs like Brisbane, Collingwood, St Kilda had a serious look at him, yet all opted out.

Go_Dogs
16-12-2008, 02:50 PM
58. StK - Steve Gaertner

Yes, as he was taken under the NSW Scholarship scheme he is just a 'last pick'. Geelong apparently convinced him to join them as the rookie list, I'm sure if he elected not to a few clubs would have looked at him in the ND.

Seems like a couple of interesting picks. Picken seems the safe option, ready to play if we need. Jamson sounds like he'll be working with Henry White, building his body up. I don't mind having a few young whippets on the rookie list.

Sedat
16-12-2008, 03:08 PM
Teflon is trying to save his arse for the short term - he needs wins and plenty of them early in the season, and Cousins has a better chance of helping Teflon achieve this than any young kid ever could. He knows he is a dead man walking if they have as poor a start to the season as they did in 2008. And if the Cousins experiment ends up failing, Richmond have a ready-made scapegoat with the soon-to-be sacked coach. All this Polak/Cousins talk this week has been about one thing - Wallace desperately trying to save his arse.

Richmond will be distracted beyond all belief between now the the start of the season. No club needs this distraction, least of all a club that has a history of eating its own. Not to mention the real possibility of the head of football operations receiving the dreaded unwelcome call at 4 in the morning during the season. One thing for certain, it won't be a dull ride while it lasts.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-12-2008, 03:44 PM
Whilst I agree with posters that Wallet's decision to recruit Ben Cousins certainly would of had something to do with him entering his last year of his contract, suggesting Richmond - as a professional AFL football club - will become 'distracted' and lose focus is very naive. Wishful, but naive. I dislike Richmond as much as the next bloke, but there's no denying that adding Cousins to their list has potential rewards. Personal life aside, he's one of the best midfielders we've seen in the modern era. He probably won't be the player he once was, but I dare say he's going to add quite a bit regardless and that includes taking pressure off Deledio, Foley, Tuck etc.

I seem to recall a number of us predicting we'd be a much better side with Akermanis a few years ago when we traded for him. Whilst '07 wasn't flash, he certainly proved his worth in '08 and lived up to our expectations. No reason why Cousins can't/won't do the same - again, personal life aside.

It's a bold move by Richmond but one that IMO has far more reward than risk. If Cousins trips up again, The Tigers won't be blamed. They're being cheered for handing the man a lifeline, they won't 'cop' any of the heat should Cousins' life go pear shaped again. The reality is, Cousins is going to drive membership, exposure, excitement and improvement on the field. No way in hell will a bunch of players and staff be distracted in acheiving their goal though. In any case, surely the excitement would only further drive the club/its players to work harder as the potential success appears in reach.

Not for a minute am I saying Cousins automatically guarantees them a spot in September, but when the competition is as close as it is, it's surely going to put them in a good position.

The biggest risk is basically Cousins himself. If he slips up again, sponsors may be inclined to pull the plug - but I think it's a separate issue, I'm not so sure the two would be tied together (ala TAC). Instead, the burden will lie with Cousins' inability to stay clean, rather than a 'bad move' by Richmond.

LostDoggy
16-12-2008, 03:51 PM
Whilst I agree with posters that Wallet's decision to recruit Ben Cousins certainly would of had something to do with him entering his last year of his contract, suggesting Richmond - as a professional AFL football club - will become 'distracted' and lose focus is very naive. Wishful, but naive. I dislike Richmond as much as the next bloke, but there's no denying that adding Cousins to their list has potential rewards. Personal life aside, he's one of the best midfielders we've seen in the modern era. He probably won't be the player he once was, but I dare say he's going to add quite a bit regardless and that includes taking pressure off Deledio, Foley, Tuck etc.

I seem to recall a number of us predicting we'd be a much better side with Akermanis a few years ago when we traded for him. Whilst '07 wasn't flash, he certainly proved his worth in '08 and lived up to our expectations. No reason why Cousins can't/won't do the same - again, personal life aside.

It's a bold move by Richmond but one that IMO has far more reward than risk. If Cousins trips up again, The Tigers won't be blamed. They're being cheered for handing the man a lifeline, they won't 'cop' any of the heat should Cousins' life go pear shaped again. The reality is, Cousins is going to drive membership, exposure, excitement and improvement on the field. No way in hell will a bunch of players and staff be distracted in acheiving their goal though. In any case, surely the excitement would only further drive the club/its players to work harder as the potential success appears in reach.
Not for a minute am I saying Cousins automatically guarantees them a spot in September, but when the competition is as close as it is, it's surely going to put them in a good position.

The biggest risk is basically Cousins himself. If he slips up again, sponsors may be inclined to pull the plug - but I think it's a separate issue, I'm not so sure the two would be tied together (ala TAC). Instead, the burden will lie with Cousins' inability to stay clean, rather than a 'bad move' by Richmond.

Excellent post, not much in there that I disagree with!

aker39
16-12-2008, 03:52 PM
Whilst I agree with posters that Wallet's decision to recruit Ben Cousins certainly would of had something to do with him entering his last year of his contract, suggesting Richmond - as a professional AFL football club - will become 'distracted' and lose focus is very naive.

Grant Thomas said if he was coach of St Kilda he would not have even contemplated Cousins because of that exact reason

Sedat
16-12-2008, 03:57 PM
TBB, Cousins has become a circus like nothing the game has ever seen. He will have media up his arse walking to the shops to buy a carton of milk. He'll have Hutchy doing 'Agent 13' impersonations hiding in letter boxes every day. He'll have to subject himself to ridiculously over the top, invasive and continuous drug testing for the remainder of his career. He'll require a minder, employed by the club, to be with him constantly. No club will be subjected to the scrutiny that Richmond will be subjected to over the next 12 months, simply because Cousins is now a Tiger. As a young side on the up with some good talent coming through, this will be a difficult balancing act for Richmond (or any club for that matter) to handle. So much care and attention (not to mention finite club resources) will have to be dedicated to just 1 player out of a list of 40+. How will the rest of the playing group cope with this, considering that they have an inexperienced leadership group as it is? Interesting times ahead for the club.

hujsh
16-12-2008, 04:10 PM

Not club comments and Cousins took recreational drugs so not hypocritical to me.

bulldogtragic
16-12-2008, 04:30 PM
Every time Cousins goes out for a drink in Melbourne he should expect a dickhead to pick a fight with him. How many pissed idiots will wind him up if he goes out on the town (not to mention every second person in the CBD seems to be stabbed these days). How many media will be watching him have a drink. Sedat is dead on the money, the circus around him could and is likely to infect the club in a negative way. This smacks of Peter Rhode behaviour in drafting/trading to save your hide from Wallet. Short term vision with potentially very serious consequences. For instance, say he blows .051 whilst driving. What will the club do? What if he misses a scheduled drug testing session? The due diligence, at VERY significant cost, undertaken by Collingwood and to a much lesser extent St Kilda and Brisbane should be proof absolute that the guy is a walking, talking train wreck. Last stop, Richmond station.

All that is left is to sit back and watch the re-born hearts of the gerat unwashed Richmond folk spit on their coach, fight with opposition supporters, rip up and cancel memberships and inundate talkback radio with their words of self loathing hate.

LostDoggy
16-12-2008, 04:34 PM
TBB, Cousins has become a circus like nothing the game has ever seen. He will have media up his arse walking to the shops to buy a carton of milk. He'll have Hutchy doing 'Agent 13' impersonations hiding in letter boxes every day. He'll have to subject himself to ridiculously over the top, invasive and continuous drug testing for the remainder of his career. He'll require a minder, employed by the club, to be with him constantly. No club will be subjected to the scrutiny that Richmond will be subjected to over the next 12 months, simply because Cousins is now a Tiger. As a young side on the up with some good talent coming through, this will be a difficult balancing act for Richmond (or any club for that matter) to handle. So much care and attention (not to mention finite club resources) will have to be dedicated to just 1 player out of a list of 40+. How will the rest of the playing group cope with this, considering that they have an inexperienced leadership group as it is? Interesting times ahead for the club.

Exactly.

AFL media is not balanced at the best of times. And the word 'professional' is bandied about loosely by the AFL, but it is over-stated. Commercialisation is not the same as professionalism.

While some parts of AFL have certainly become high-performance/best practice, much of an informal culture based around old-boys-clubs still exists, and there is an incredibly wide range of professionalism of mentality amongst all participants in the sport, to the extent that North players had to paint their own changing rooms at Arden Street, the Demons training on an oval that didn't have goal-posts, Saint Kilda potentially not having an oval to train on etc.

The big end of town may have the resources to ensure the illusion of professionalism, but the lower reaches of AFL are not much better run than your average VFL club.

If anyone is suggesting that Richmond's performance off the field over the last ten years is a shining example of professionalism they need a new dictionary.

This is a shemozzle of a decision made after a shemozzle of a process by the worst run club in the league, and to suggest that their 'professionalism' will protect them is an insult to Collingwood, St.Kilda and Brisbane who opted to pass over the golden opportunity to get f*cked over by Cuz and Nixon.

If the way they went about getting Cuz is an indication of how they'll manage him over the next twelve months, it will be an absolute shambles.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-12-2008, 04:54 PM
Exactly.

AFL media is not balanced at the best of times. And the word 'professional' is bandied about loosely by the AFL, but it is over-stated. Commercialisation is not the same as professionalism.

While some parts of AFL have certainly become high-performance/best practice, much of an informal culture based around old-boys-clubs still exists, and there is an incredibly wide range of professionalism of mentality amongst all participants in the sport, to the extent that North players had to paint their own changing rooms at Arden Street, the Demons training on an oval that didn't have goal-posts, Saint Kilda potentially not having an oval to train on etc.

The big end of town may have the resources to ensure the illusion of professionalism, but the lower reaches of AFL are not much better run than your average VFL club.

If anyone is suggesting that Richmond's performance off the field over the last ten years is a shining example of professionalism they need a new dictionary.

This is a shemozzle of a decision made after a shemozzle of a process by the worst run club in the league, and to suggest that their 'professionalism' will protect them is an insult to Collingwood, St.Kilda and Brisbane who opted to pass over the golden opportunity to get f*cked over by Cuz and Nixon.

If the way they went about getting Cuz is an indication of how they'll manage him over the next twelve months, it will be an absolute shambles.

I'm not saying the decision to recruit Cousins is a good one, nor am I going to be naive enough to suggest it'll be smooth sailing because at some point in time, there's probably going to be a hiccup. It depends whether it's him testing positive, him ending up in a brawl, speeding etc. etc. Reality is - there's a high chance because of the amount of exposure he's going to get, he'll be caught doing something wrong.

The point I was trying to make though is that Richmond aren't going to have mud on their faces if at any time Cousins involves himself in such acts. The matters, I guarantee you, will become separate. Richmond and the public will simply say, 'Well, we gave him the opportunity to further his rehabilitation but unfortunately for Ben, he hasn't taken it, and as a result we're left with no other alternative than to lead different paths.' In short terms; we tried, we did the right thing trying to help him, but it didn't work.

That all comes from the public getting so desperate to see Cousins find another AFL home. Richmond stepping in at the last moment to hand him a lifeline has sent shockwaves through the football world. All you have to do is turn SEN on for five minutes to realise the public is literally thanking Richmond, applauding Richmond (the media clapped) and talking positive about the football club. Now I know, as well as anyone without a biased perception knows, that Richmond tried to manipulate the system/Polak/Cousins for their benefit. As a club, they're being glorified for the wrong reasons, but as is the case with everything else in life, timing was the key.

If Richmond committed to Cousins two months ago, would the media cirus be the same? Undoubtedly no. It's because Cousins' saga lasted up until the last minute of the PSD Draft that has actually turned Richmond into a public proclaimed 'hero'. The goodwill of the public to see Cousins rehabilitate and get his life back on track meant that if someone was prepared to take a shot on him within the last few desperate days, they would basically save themselves of great risk should it ultimately not work out. Whilst there is still a risk of Richmond's brand being tarnished through losing sponsors etc. the risk is clearly significantly less than it would have been two, three, four months ago.

Timing is everything, and really, Richmond manipulated the whole situation so as to save their bacon.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-12-2008, 05:01 PM
Grant Thomas said if he was coach of St Kilda he would not have even contemplated Cousins because of that exact reason

Grant Thomas also maintained throughout the majority of this season that we were no good, and St. Kilda were the only likely side to defeat Geelong.

I know what you're saying, but GT is a halfwit.

I just don't think AFL players are going to be distracted by Ben Cousins to the extent that their performance on the field takes a battering. He's one player of twenty two to turn up on match day. Their job is to concentrate on their individual and team game, at what point can/does Cousins distract them from that? The players were OK with him coming to the club, they knew what Ben will bring (Plenty of exposure/possible criticism etc.) and what he'll have to go through (Eg. Regular testing). I personally don't think it would effect their on-field performance at all, and as I said, if Cousins can hold up OK then he'll improve their side.

LostDoggy
16-12-2008, 05:33 PM
I'm not saying the decision to recruit Cousins is a good one, nor am I going to be naive enough to suggest it'll be smooth sailing because at some point in time, there's probably going to be a hiccup. It depends whether it's him testing positive, him ending up in a brawl, speeding etc. etc. Reality is - there's a high chance because of the amount of exposure he's going to get, he'll be caught doing something wrong.

The point I was trying to make though is that Richmond aren't going to have mud on their faces if at any time Cousins involves himself in such acts. The matters, I guarantee you, will become separate. Richmond and the public will simply say, 'Well, we gave him the opportunity to further his rehabilitation but unfortunately for Ben, he hasn't taken it, and as a result we're left with no other alternative than to lead different paths.' In short terms; we tried, we did the right thing trying to help him, but it didn't work.

That all comes from the public getting so desperate to see Cousins find another AFL home. Richmond stepping in at the last moment to hand him a lifeline has sent shockwaves through the football world. All you have to do is turn SEN on for five minutes to realise the public is literally thanking Richmond, applauding Richmond (the media clapped) and talking positive about the football club. Now I know, as well as anyone without a biased perception knows, that Richmond tried to manipulate the system/Polak/Cousins for their benefit. As a club, they're being glorified for the wrong reasons, but as is the case with everything else in life, timing was the key.

If Richmond committed to Cousins two months ago, would the media cirus be the same? Undoubtedly no. It's because Cousins' saga lasted up until the last minute of the PSD Draft that has actually turned Richmond into a public proclaimed 'hero'. The goodwill of the public to see Cousins rehabilitate and get his life back on track meant that if someone was prepared to take a shot on him within the last few desperate days, they would basically save themselves of great risk should it ultimately not work out. Whilst there is still a risk of Richmond's brand being tarnished through losing sponsors etc. the risk is clearly significantly less than it would have been two, three, four months ago.

Timing is everything, and really, Richmond manipulated the whole situation so as to save their bacon.

While I appreciate your points, TBB, I think you're giving Richmond far too much credit by assuming they planned the whole thing all along. All through the process they've shown an absolute inability to do even the simplest things (like think logically), and essentially stumbled from one joke to the next, all on their own and without anyone even remotely standing in their way.

They managed to screw themselves over and make themselves look like fools with their Polak application to the AFL etc., and no one was even stopping them from doing anything they wanted! (they got Gourdis via the rookie draft anyway) Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

So to suggest that somehow this shambolic administration will be able to strategically profit from the situation is the stuff of fantasy. They got him because he was floating about and Terry got desperate, and there is no way they've planned for this -- Wallet even admitted as much by saying that he was swayed at the last minute by the fans. How's that for a planning process.

Credit where it is due, but none due here -- Richmond weren't clever, they were just a bumbling club falling over themselves, which somehow qualifies as news in a quiet off-season. If you really think they've done a thorough risk/reward analysis that's not a conclusion I share.

And if you think they'll have any idea of what to do the moment this blows up in their face you have more faith in Tigerland than the greatest optimist. Sure, they COULD disavow any responsibility, but I doubt that will know how, or have the nous to do anything remotely as well as you think they will.

Sedat
16-12-2008, 05:34 PM

Some good points there, but really there are more pressing factors at play than the Richmond brand smelling rosy out of a possible future Cousins mishap. If I was a Richmond supporter (I feel dirty even saying that), I would want to see the rest of the young squad given unfettered access to all the footy dept's time, energy and resources. There is no doubt that the arrival of Cousins will have an adverse effect on these factors for the rest of the playing group for reasons previously stated. It's a short-term, highly risky strategy by a coach under pressure to deliver instant results that could very well come at a cost of lack of development to the remainder of the playing group.

LostDoggy
16-12-2008, 05:56 PM
I know what you're saying, but GT is a halfwit.

I just don't think AFL players are going to be distracted by Ben Cousins to the extent that their performance on the field takes a battering. He's one player of twenty two to turn up on match day. Their job is to concentrate on their individual and team game, at what point can/does Cousins distract them from that? The players were OK with him coming to the club, they knew what Ben will bring (Plenty of exposure/possible criticism etc.) and what he'll have to go through (Eg. Regular testing). I personally don't think it would effect their on-field performance at all, and as I said, if Cousins can hold up OK then he'll improve their side.

TBB, you can't have it both ways -- GT was a senior coach of a 'professional' AFL team. If he's a halfwit what makes the 'professionals' at Richmond so much better?

If professional sportspeople never got distracted because of personality issues, media attention etc. and have their performances affected by the above, we're wasting a lot of money in our football departments on player welfare and the like. They're people. Young people. Young, impressionable, and in many cases, formerly sheltered young people. You can slap a 'professional' tag on them, doesn't make them any less human. Didn't stop a whole club (West Coast) disintegrating into a drug-riddled mess that imploded after one premiership when it could have gone on to many more, or players urinating in front of police stations, driving over the limit etc. etc. etc.

bulldogtragic
16-12-2008, 05:58 PM
Cousins to Richmond (From HUN)

UPDATE 2:11pm: RICHMOND coach Terry Wallace says fans lobbying for the drafting of Ben Cousins was a key factor in their decision to draft him.

The Richmond Football Club used its number six draft pick to recruit the champion player after a move overnight to head off a fan revolt.

Sources at the club said the membership lines had been "running hot" since news of the Cousins selection broke.

"There's been a mass of interest in membership for next year," the source said.

Wallace said the positive reaction of their fans and players to the prospect of drafting Cousins had been instrumental in the club taking a punt on the confessed drug addict.

FOR F**K SAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ONE - Fans dictate what the club does??? In that case, Cam, Rocket and David - please bring back strippers tp pie nights, sack Cameron Wight and demand games at the Whitten Oval.

Get on board everyne, AFL clubs makes high risk decisions based on what a handful of fans want.

BULLSHIT!

TWO - He is already blaming someone else for the decision.

THREE - What kind of spiritual leader or even shithouse manager doesn't take responsibility for their decision making. At least say, Sheedy, would come out and say "I think Tye Zantuck is an ok kid and can play". He might not have been right, but at least he took responsibility.

Disgraceful on all levels. Just come out and say "I wanted him because i think he will stay on the straight and narrow and has lpenty of talent still to burn".

FOUR - You don't do covert survelllance, interview associates and other things like other cubs. You decide a few loud mouth dickheads who wont pay up anyway make one of the most high risk decision in recent AFL history. It's called due diligence. Either he was a good prospect or he wasn't.

FIVE: Don't try to shite in the face of the other clubs and use emotional blackmail saying it was like Adam Ram. Adam was fighting cancer AND was out of contract. Richmond were to bloody lazy to perofrm due diligence and make he right moves when they should have.

SIX - Interest in memberships??? How many loud mouths ACTUALLY signed up, AND put their hard earned where their loud mouth is?

SEVEN - God i hate Richmond and Wallace should just commit AFL hari-kari and leave us all to peace. I can't wait to see this blow up. These words will coe to haunt that club and man.

Sedat
16-12-2008, 06:38 PM
TWO - He is already blaming someone else for the decision.

This is the oldest Teflon trick in the book. It's always, "the players didn't carry out instructions", or "we had to play 6 of the top 8 twice this season", or "we had to travel interstate 6 times this season", etc......

I'd be desperate too if in the last 6 completed seasons of coaching at senior AFL level I hadn't tasted any September action, let alone 8 completed seasons since tasting any success in September.

LostDoggy
16-12-2008, 07:16 PM

All to be ripped up by round 7

LostDoggy
16-12-2008, 07:18 PM
From a playing point of view, Cousins at his finest would almost guarantee the tigz a finals birth.
What's Cousins at his finest? 4 years back with preseasons of coke and ice?

The Bulldogs Bite
16-12-2008, 07:29 PM
While I appreciate your points, TBB, I think you're giving Richmond far too much credit by assuming they planned the whole thing all along. All through the process they've shown an absolute inability to do even the simplest things (like think logically), and essentially stumbled from one joke to the next, all on their own and without anyone even remotely standing in their way.

They managed to screw themselves over and make themselves look like fools with their Polak application to the AFL etc., and no one was even stopping them from doing anything they wanted! (they got Gourdis via the rookie draft anyway) Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

So to suggest that somehow this shambolic administration will be able to strategically profit from the situation is the stuff of fantasy. They got him because he was floating about and Terry got desperate, and there is no way they've planned for this -- Wallet even admitted as much by saying that he was swayed at the last minute by the fans. How's that for a planning process.

Credit where it is due, but none due here -- Richmond weren't clever, they were just a bumbling club falling over themselves, which somehow qualifies as news in a quiet off-season. If you really think they've done a thorough risk/reward analysis that's not a conclusion I share.

And if you think they'll have any idea of what to do the moment this blows up in their face you have more faith in Tigerland than the greatest optimist. Sure, they COULD disavow any responsibility, but I doubt that will know how, or have the nous to do anything remotely as well as you think they will.

I think you've mis-read the entire post, or perhaps I should've been a little more clear with the finishing line. Either way - I didn't mean Richmond purposely thought this all out. I did say they manipulated the situation of Cousins/Polak, trying to find a loophole, but overall I was alluding to the timing of it all. Rightly or wrongly, for better or worse - the timing of their final decision is going to benefit them as a club as far as membership, exposure and team improvement is concerned.

So no, I'm not giving them any credit, I'm basically stating what and how I think the situation will pan out - particularly if Cousins plays up again - and that, IMO, leaves them without the mud on their face they WOULD of had if they committed to him earlier, purely and simply because of the public's desperation for him to 'rehabilitate' in AFL football again.

Hope that's clearer.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-12-2008, 07:48 PM
TBB, you can't have it both ways -- GT was a senior coach of a 'professional' AFL team. If he's a halfwit what makes the 'professionals' at Richmond so much better?

Again you're taking my point out of context...

The players of the Richmond football club aren't there to only pay attention to Ben Cousins. Why would they be distracted? If Cousins got involved in antics again, then yes your point's valid, but I think it's a ridiculous statement to make without reason. Cousins is there to get his life back on track, yes, but he's also there to play football - just like the rest of the squad. So long as he stays clean, why would players lose focus on what they're supposed to do just because Cousins is in newspapers or having tests? They know about Cousins' extra baggage, hence the decision to take him or not.

You're far too pessimistic.

It's fine to be against drafting him, I wouldn't want him at The Dogs, but I think some people are making silly claims without serious evidence. You're relying far too much on the "IFs". IF he gets caught again, then yes it has the potential to rock the foundations of the club, but if you're suggesting simply because he's going to have so much coverage that the other Richmond players are going to get distracted and fall in a slump, then you sir are mr. pessimistic. Why don't we give them a dummy incase they say something wrong? They're adults, I'm sure they can deal with Cousins' exposure if they were willing to take him on.

mighty_west
16-12-2008, 08:05 PM
Not club comments and Cousins took recreational drugs so not hypocritical to me.

Drugs are drugs mate whichever type they are, performance enhancing, recreational, all BANNED!

aker39
16-12-2008, 09:28 PM
So no, I'm not giving them any credit, I'm basically stating what and how I think the situation will pan out - particularly if Cousins plays up again - and that, IMO, leaves them without the mud on their face they WOULD of had if they committed to him earlier, purely and simply because of the public's desperation for him to 'rehabilitate' in AFL football again.

Hope that's clearer.

I disagree.

In my opinion if this blows up in Richmonds face, then they should cop even greater flak. And the reason is because they have not done the due diligence (I know, there's those words again) that at least 3 other clubs have done.

They have made a decision on the run, which to me smacks as a desperate decision, by a desperate coach, who has left his football manager to look like a fool.

LostDoggy
16-12-2008, 09:53 PM

Akermanis made the comments but the club supported him.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,22210057-23211,00.html

Sedat
17-12-2008, 10:43 AM
Can someone please jog my memory, was it Cotchin's old man that went to the papers last year before the ND and stated that he would hate to see Trent end up getting drafted by West Coast because of their appalling club culture? Wonder what he's thinking today.

LostDoggy
17-12-2008, 10:52 AM
What's Cousins at his finest? 4 years back with preseasons of coke and ice?

Verry funny:rolleyes:

You may recall his 30+ possesion games coming off a extended layoff and minimal training. The guy is one of the greates players to ever play this game and I believe Richmond have got themselves a bargain. Not only is this guy going to tear it up this year, he has already paid his own contract.

As for the hysteria around what impact he will have on the club off the field and it's young players, give me a break. Suggesting that the club will somehow disintegrate into a drug hazed stupor in the space of a year or 2 is ridiculous. The players know what they are going to get with this bloke and the decision to take him was unanimous amongst the playing group, so lets all take deep breath.

Desipura
17-12-2008, 11:00 AM
Can someone please jog my memory, was it Cotchin's old man that went to the papers last year before the ND and stated that he would hate to see Trent end up getting drafted by West Coast because of their appalling club culture? Wonder what he's thinking today.
Dont know about Cotchin's dad however it was reported that Browny earlier this year said on the footy show there is NO WAY he would want Cousins at the tigers.
Apparently when asked the same question yesterday he looked away from the journalist and said in a less than convincing way " he will be good"

LostDoggy
17-12-2008, 11:02 AM

You may recall his 30+ possesion games coming off a extended layoff and minimal training. The guy is one of the greates players to ever play this game and I believe Richmond have got themselves a bargain. Not only is this guy going to tear it up this year, he has already paid his own contract.

Sure, there are the short term costs of his contract, which a few thousand members may well pay off.

And then there are long term costs -- the significant damage to your brand, the ending of the careers of the senior coach and administration, another ten years of recovery from being a laughing stock for not doing your due diligence when everyone else did, and the very real prospect of your younger playing stock being caught up in the glare of the spotlight, either indirectly in thousands of interviews about the same thing over and over, or worse still, directly, by being influenced by or falling in with Cousin's 'associates' here in Melbourne. These influences have already destroyed the playing list of one club, broken up what should have been a multi-premiership winning midfield, forced a living legend (Judd) to leave, and killed a former superstar (Mainwairing).

Richmond is nowhere nearly as well set up as West Coast from a player management perspective.

Alan Didak's underworld connections are baby milk compared to Cousin's.

LostDoggy
17-12-2008, 11:05 AM
And don't get me started on the media with this -- they've written their own story the whole time. They were the ones who hounded him out of the game in the first place, and then they've been the ones at the forefront of the bandwagon pressuring the footy world into taking him back.

Shameless, amoral hacks who will do anything to create a story.

Dancin' Douggy
17-12-2008, 11:12 AM
I'm torn on this one. I'd like to see Ben, or any other human being get their life back on track.
But I would seriously LOVE to see this all blow up in the Tigers face. Especially Teflon, Leatherneck, Wallet.

LostDoggy
17-12-2008, 11:15 AM
And don't get me started on the media with this -- they've written their own story the whole time. They were the ones who hounded him out of the game in the first place, and then they've been the ones at the forefront of the bandwagon pressuring the footy world into taking him back.

Shameless, amoral hacks who will do anything to create a story.

I dig your passion, man!

I think in a situation like Richmond's or ours sometimes big risks need to be taking. We took one with Aka and it did nowhere near the damage most said it would. Imagine Cuz keeps his nose clean (boom tish), I beleive he will be a great football teacher to a very young midfield who will learn so much from his football skill and training methods.

Sure, it could all come crashing down and Richmond will again be a laughing stock, that's the risk they take to help them make the finals and give their supporters something to finally be excited about.

LostDoggy
17-12-2008, 11:21 AM
Haha TAMA. What's life without a bit of passion.

You know what? I guess if there was a club with truly nothing to lose, it's Richmond.

They already are a laughing stock.

LostDoggy
17-12-2008, 11:26 AM
Haha TAMA. What's life without a bit of passion.

You know what? I guess if there was a club with truly nothing to lose, it's Richmond.

They already are a laughing stock.

Bingo!

I like your fire, it's good:cool::D

Sedat
17-12-2008, 12:05 PM
As for the hysteria around what impact he will have on the club off the field and it's young players, give me a break. Suggesting that the club will somehow disintegrate into a drug hazed stupor in the space of a year or 2 is ridiculous. The players know what they are going to get with this bloke and the decision to take him was unanimous amongst the playing group, so lets all take deep breath.
Nobody is suggesting that at all - what some of us are suggesting is that Richmond's footy dept and player welfare resources will be stretched (highly likely beyond breaking point) because a major proportion of this finite resource will be dedicated soley to 1 player out of a list of 40+.

Cousins being a drug addict is not the issue that prevented 15 other clubs from picking him - the company he continues to keep is the main reason. He almost single-handedly brought a rich and powerful club, with a young and talented playing list to die for, to its knees because of his association with "colorful characters". Cousins' honeymoon period with Richmond in the media has lasted all of 12 hours. If a far more powerful, wealthy, stable, and not to mention infinitely more resource-intensive organisation like West Coast could not come close to handling Cousins, it remains to be seen how Richmond will succeed.

LostDoggy
17-12-2008, 12:08 PM

I paste here an excerpt from Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger's interview this morning regarding his players being distracted. And by a far smaller matter than drugs, by the way (the player was outspoken in the press), and in a far, far, far more professional competition than AFL will ever be:

One of the toughest tasks Wenger has to perform this season was to strip William Gallas of the captaincy following outspoken comments criticising the desire of the young squad.

The Arsenal manager, though, feels the veteran defender has returned to the side refocused on his game, but accepts the whole incident will inevitably still weigh on his mind.

"On the human point of view, what happened with William was the toughest thing I had to deal with in my career because I regard him with a lot of esteem,'' Wenger told France-Football magazine.

"He was stuck into a media frenzy, a witch-hunt that isolated him so much that it was becoming a handicap for the team.

"Whatever he does, whatever he says, it's always twisted, amplified. He has recovered the balance regarding his football. But I'm not convinced that, in his head, he has recovered his balance and his joie de vivre.'

LostDoggy
17-12-2008, 06:45 PM

You may recall his 30+ possesion games coming off a extended layoff and minimal training.
:rolleyes:
Yes he was cured and clean then too.

mighty_west
17-12-2008, 08:21 PM
I think in a situation like Richmond's or ours sometimes big risks need to be taking. We took one with Aka and it did nowhere near the damage most said it would. Imagine Cuz keeps his nose clean (boom tish), I beleive he will be a great football teacher to a very young midfield who will learn so much from his football skill and training methods.

That was be sensational for him, and his new club if he did, but, he shaved his ENTIRE body down for a reason, ok, his head, his legs, arms etc, but other area's below the belt!!!!! :eek:

15 other clubs didn't select a champion footballer for a reason, and without the information they have, he would have been snapped up in a millisecond!

The Bulldogs Bite
17-12-2008, 08:26 PM
I paste here an excerpt from Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger's interview this morning regarding his players being distracted. And by a far smaller matter than drugs, by the way (the player was outspoken in the press), and in a far, far, far more professional competition than AFL will ever be:

One of the toughest tasks Wenger has to perform this season was to strip William Gallas of the captaincy following outspoken comments criticising the desire of the young squad.

The Arsenal manager, though, feels the veteran defender has returned to the side refocused on his game, but accepts the whole incident will inevitably still weigh on his mind.

"On the human point of view, what happened with William was the toughest thing I had to deal with in my career because I regard him with a lot of esteem,'' Wenger told France-Football magazine.

"He was stuck into a media frenzy, a witch-hunt that isolated him so much that it was becoming a handicap for the team.

"Whatever he does, whatever he says, it's always twisted, amplified. He has recovered the balance regarding his football. But I'm not convinced that, in his head, he has recovered his balance and his joie de vivre.'

Surely that's different? If a player criticises the desire of his team mates, then OF COURSE the squad will become distracted and lead to inner problems. Akermanis coming out and saying he'd like to punch one of his team mates in the head is another example of this.

In Ben Cousins' situation, you're saying his team mates are going to be distracted purely because the media is all over him. Not because he's said anything wrong, done anything wrong or tested positive - but just because he's got plenty of exposure day in, day out. I have already stated if Cousins' tests positive again or is caught doing something stupid again, then that could change the dynamics of their football club, but the players/coaching staff have made the decision to risk that (even if they made the decision for the fans).

So Lantern, your excerpt from another sport really doesn't have any merit. That player has done something to upset the group. Cousins', at the moment, hasn't .. So until he does, you're naive to suggest Richmond are going to be distracted and suffer as a consequence on the field. So long as he stays out of trouble, and so long as they're happy to have him as apart of their football club - which they must be if they took him onboard - then Cousins' is a player added to their list that will improve them on the field as well as membership etc.

In any event, perhaps we should agree to disagree.