PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Playing List

The Coon Dog
17-12-2008, 10:23 PM
Here is our playing list for season 2009.

WESTERN BULLDOGS
1. Addison, Dylan
2. Akermanis, Jason
3. Boumann, Jarrad
4. Boyd, Matthew
5. Callan, Tim
6. Cooney, Adam
7. Cordy, Ayce
8. Cross, Daniel
9. Eagleton, Nathan
10. Everitt, Andrejs
11. Giansiracusa, Daniel
12. Gilbee, Lindsay
13. Grant, Jarrad
14. Griffen, Ryan
15. Hahn, Mitchell
16. Harbrow, Jarrod
17. Hargrave, Ryan
18. Higgins, Shaun
19. Hill, Josh
20. Hudson, Ben
21. Johnson, Brad (veteran – outside list)
22. Jones, Liam
23. Lake, Brian
24. Lynch, Malcolm
25. Minson, Will
26. Morris, Dale
27. Murphy, Robert
28. O'Keefe, Guy
29. O'Shea, Paul
30. Reid, Sam
31. Roughead, Jordan
32. Skipper, Wayde
33. Stack, Brennan
34. Tiller, Stephen
35. Ward, Callan
36. Welsh, Scott
37. Wight, Cameron
38. Williams, Tom
39. Wood, Easton
Rookie List
1. Daniels, Jamason
2. Mulligan, James
3. Ogle, Chris
4. Picken, Liam
5. Shaw, John
6. White, Henry
7. Not utilised
8. Not utilised

ADDITIONS:
Father-Son selection: Ayce Cordy (Geelong Falcons)
Scholarship elevation: Chris Ogle (UNSW/ES) – rookie list
NAB AFL Draft: Liam Jones (Tassie Mariners), Jordan Roughead (North Ballarat Rebels)
NAB AFL Rookie Draft: Jamason Daniels (Murray Bushrangers), Liam Picken (Williamstown)

DELETIONS:
Retired: Andrew McDougall, Peter Street, Scott West (veteran – outside list)
Exchange period – traded: Farren Ray (St Kilda)
Delisted: Gavin Hughes (rookie)

NOTES:
* Ayce Cordy was secured via the father/son bidding meeting on October 6. He was then officially selected via the draft on November 29.
* Chris Ogle was elevated from the Western Bulldogs' NSW scholarship list and promoted onto the club's rookie list when the first list lodgment was submitted on October 31. He was then officially drafted via the rookie draft on December 16.
* The Western Bulldogs passed on selection No.45 and No.59 in the rookie draft. Therefore two positions have not been filled on their rookie list.

Source: AFL Website (http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=70978)

soupman
18-12-2008, 11:46 AM
Because there are numbers next to the players names I immediately found Liam Jones who was at 22, and assumed it was his number for next year (forgot about Addison, I just woke up). Boy was I surprised to see Brian Lake had changed to 23, Lynch to 24 and it was only Minson moving 2 numbers to 25 that made me catch on.

LostDoggy
18-12-2008, 01:11 PM
OK I am confused:confused: I thought before the Rookies fundraiser, we were two rookies down due to funds shortage. After the fundraiser we should have been only one Rookie down - shouldn't we:confused:

LostDoggy
18-12-2008, 01:12 PM
What players are on the long term injury list for other teams? I can think of Polak at Richmond, who else is there?

GVGjr
18-12-2008, 01:17 PM
What players are on the long term injury list for other teams? I can think of Polak at Richmond, who else is there?

More than likely that not too many would be on the LT injury list just yet.
Far better to wait until the start of the season to make any changes. A rookie could get injured between now and the start of the season.

G-Mo77
18-12-2008, 01:56 PM
OK I am confused:confused: I thought before the Rookies fundraiser, we were two rookies down due to funds shortage. After the fundraiser we should have been only one Rookie down - shouldn't we:confused:

I think Picken was the extra one.

Sockeye Salmon
18-12-2008, 09:22 PM
I think Picken was the extra one.

Before the rookie fundraiser we were going to have just the three retained rookies and Ogle. We wouldn't have even shown up on PSD draft day.

Daniels and Picken were both the result of the rookie club with Williamstown making up the shortfall.

strebla
19-12-2008, 12:01 PM
As I understand It you can have up to eight rookies and veterens so I believe we are only one short here not 2 .I really should know better than to disagree with the Coon Dog and am probably wrong!!

soupman
19-12-2008, 12:46 PM
As I understand It you can have up to eight rookies and veterens so I believe we are only one short here not 2 .I really should know better than to disagree with the Coon Dog and am probably wrong!!

I think rookies from NSW scholarships are counted outside those 8 rookie spots, similiar to International rookies.

Scorlibo
19-12-2008, 01:51 PM
God it's weird not seeing Westy on that list.

strebla
19-12-2008, 05:17 PM
I think rookies from NSW scholarships are counted outside those 8 rookie spots, similiar to International rookies.

My understanding is that is only the case until they are rookie listed

LostDoggy
19-12-2008, 07:59 PM
Interesting going thru the list, we appear to be a bit light on for pace.
Rookie draft appears to have addressed that, but they are only rookies at this stage.

The Underdog
19-12-2008, 11:58 PM
Interesting going thru the list, we appear to be a bit light on for pace.
Rookie draft appears to have addressed that, but they are only rookies at this stage.

Yeah funnily enough we are quite tall (if young and thin) across the list but a bit one paced through the midfield. Cooney and Griff are super important, if we lose their size and pace in the midfield we can really be exploited by quick teams.

LostDoggy
20-12-2008, 09:57 AM
Yeah funnily enough we are quite tall (if young and thin) across the list but a bit one paced through the midfield. Cooney and Griff are super important, if we lose their size and pace in the midfield we can really be exploited by quick teams.

Funny how things change. We were that quick team 2-3 years ago.

Go_Dogs
21-12-2008, 12:47 PM

Who are the really quick teams though? Sides like Hawthorn and Geelong aren't what I would call super quick, yet they have the best midfields in the league.

I think our midfield balance is just about right. Quality players, with enough pace and good size is much preferred to skinny guys who can run super quick.

LostDoggy
21-12-2008, 01:01 PM
It's funny but I look at Essendon now and think that was us about four years ago, very talented quick players, but very slight and easily knocked off the ball - except for their seniors and veterans off course.

Sockeye Salmon
21-12-2008, 01:08 PM
My understanding is that is only the case until they are rookie listed

Nah, Soupaman's right. Ogle doesn't count.

I don't know at what point he does count, when we actually elevate him to the list perhaps?

The Underdog
21-12-2008, 08:46 PM
Who are the really quick teams though? Sides like Hawthorn and Geelong aren't what I would call super quick, yet they have the best midfields in the league.

I think our midfield balance is just about right. Quality players, with enough pace and good size is much preferred to skinny guys who can run super quick.

I think our balance is ok as long as we don't lose Griff or Cooney, without them we have a midfield of Cross, Boyd, Gia, Higgins and maybe Addison or Ward and I could run away from some of them (not for long mind you). We are suddenly quite thin at the speed end. I agree Hawthorn and Geelong aren't super quick but they are probably slightly more skilled and better on the defensive side than we are.

LostDoggy
22-12-2008, 12:09 PM
Higgins is the key to our midfield...a fit higgins adds that extra class as a swingman. Will be super important when Coons and Griff are resting or worse injured!!

LostDoggy
22-12-2008, 12:14 PM
It's funny but I look at Essendon now and think that was us about four years ago, very talented quick players, but very slight and easily knocked off the ball - except for their seniors and veterans off course.

I say the same thing. Especially when they talk about Essendon being such a high scoring team but they concede far too many points. Plus they have had a lot of injuries.