PDA

View Full Version : Training Session Updates

GVGjr
20-12-2008, 04:23 PM
Ventured down to the Whitten Oval and what a difference a week makes. From a downpour of rain last week to brilliant sunshine this week.

I got there a bit after 9am and they were well into kick to kick circuit work drills, boxing and a whole lot of running. The group was really worked over in the 2 1/2 hour session.

There was some noticeable absentees in Hahn, Giansiracusa, Murphy, Wight and Reid (who's leg injury from last week must have sidelined him)
The three draftees were also not present.

The players that stood out to me were, Johnson who ran a scintillating lap in one of the running drills where he put a huge gap on the others, Cross who seems to act as the pace maker for all the running drills and Griffen who looks light years ahead of where he was 12 months ago even allowing for his injuries. Big Tom Williams looked a picture as well.
Some of the wrestling drills got a bit spirited and on a couple of occasions Higgins and Griffen didn't stop after the whistle was blown preferring to keep at it. Higgins acquitted himself very well against Griffen and even removed Griff's singlet. It was great to see two young bulls giving each other a push and shove whilst trying to establish the pecking order.

Cooney just ran laps as did Lake, Tiller and Boumann although they also did a bit of boxing as well..

I liked the look of some of the group from last year like Ward and O'Keefe who seem to have benefited greatly from the new focus on running. Both appear to be moving a lot better than last year.

If anyone has any questions I'll see if I can answer them.

The Coon Dog
20-12-2008, 04:44 PM
I reckon Murph has a good reason for not being there. He's getting married today.

Templeton31
20-12-2008, 05:39 PM
Mal Lynch? sighted?

GVGjr
20-12-2008, 05:53 PM
Mal Lynch? sighted?

Yes he participated in all the drills. He wasn't prominent in anything but looked OK.

BulldogBelle
20-12-2008, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the report GVG.

Aker and Minson - how did they go?

GVGjr
20-12-2008, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the report GVG.

Aker and Minson - how did they go?

Both of them were there and were moving OK. Big Will seemed to struggle a bit at the end of the session but he is a good runner for a big bloke.

Bulldog Revolution
20-12-2008, 10:18 PM
Hows the boy Easton Wood looking?

I'd also be interested to hear how Josh Hill looks?

GVGjr
20-12-2008, 10:30 PM
Hows the boy Easton Wood looking?

I'd also be interested to hear how Josh Hill looks?

Wood struggled a bit towards the end of the session and still has his shoulder strapped. He is a big solid unit though.

Hill didn't appear too often in front of the running drills which surprised me but he does look in good condition.

A couple of other things
Stack had a bit of bounce in his step during some circuit work and Addison looks ready to play a lot of senior football. Tim Callan stood out today and Griffen is a monster in the boxing drills.

MrMahatma
20-12-2008, 11:32 PM
Jarrod Grant? Everitt? Hudson?

They're 3 keys for us this year IMO. Would be interested to hear how they're going.

GVGjr
21-12-2008, 12:11 AM
Jarrod Grant? Everitt? Hudson?

They're 3 keys for us this year IMO. Would be interested to hear how they're going.

Grant was on light duties so I didn't see much of him. I did not see Everitt but Hudson put in a full session and did the boxing and wrestling with Minson.

FrediKanoute
21-12-2008, 09:36 AM
Was that the last session before Christmas or is there another one? I wouldn't mind popping down.

Bulldog Revolution
21-12-2008, 09:58 AM
Wood struggled a bit towards the end of the session and still has his shoulder strapped. He is a big solid unit though.

Hill didn't appear too often in front of the running drills which surprised me but he does look in good condition.

A couple of other things
Stack had a bit of bounce in his step during some circuit work and Addison looks ready to play a lot of senior football. Tim Callan stood out today and Griffen is a monster in the boxing drills.

Cheers GVG,

Do you think Wood is a chance to debut in 09? Or would you be looking for a top 10 B&F in the VFL? or both?

Is Addison looking like he spent the time injured with his knee in gym lifting?

Callan and Griffen both sound to be training very strongly

If OKeefe and Ward have significantly improved their running then they will be hard to hold out of the team. Coach will want to get them in the mix - they both seem like determined young players.

GVGjr
21-12-2008, 10:37 AM
Do you think Wood is a chance to debut in 09? Or would you be looking for a top 10 B&F in the VFL? or both?

I think there might be a couple ahead of him like O'Keefe but yes he could very well get a game or two during the season. I couldn't see many more games than that though.

Is Addison looking like he spent the time injured with his knee in gym lifting?

He looks very strong now and vastly different to skinny type of youngster that arrived at the club a couple of seasons back. If he is 100% over his knee injury he could be in for a good season.

If OKeefe and Ward have significantly improved their running then they will be hard to hold out of the team. Coach will want to get them in the mix - they both seem like determined young players.

Running has been the main focus on this pre-season especially given our new fitness coaches credentials and I think O'Keefe in particular has benefited from it. There were times last year where he clearly faded in the the 2nd half of games or the last quarter but watching him yesterday he looked to be moving vastly better than what I previously remember. He also seems to have a different, more upright, running style as well.
Ward already had a nice running style but seems to be an even harder runner now than before as you would expect from someone more physically ready than he was 12 months ago.

With some of the older players like Johnson looking very sharp opportunities might still be difficult for the youngsters.

GVGjr
21-12-2008, 11:03 AM
Was that the last session before Christmas or is there another one? I wouldn't mind popping down.

They still have a couple of more training sessions before their break.

bornadog
21-12-2008, 11:17 AM
Read in the paper today that Boumann had a shoulder operation, how did he look?

THey break up on Tuesday and they are back on the 5th of January.

LostDoggy
21-12-2008, 12:35 PM
I think there might be a couple ahead of him like O'Keefe but yes he could very well get a game or two during the season. I couldn't see many more games than that though.

He looks very strong now and vastly different to skinny type of youngster that arrived at the club a couple of seasons back. If he is 100% over his knee injury he could be in for a good season.

Running has been the main focus on this pre-season especially given our new fitness coaches credentials and I think O'Keefe in particular has benefited from it. There were times last year where he clearly faded in the the 2nd half of games or the last quarter but watching him yesterday he looked to be moving vastly better than what I previously remember. He also seems to have a different, more upright, running style as well.
Ward already had a nice running style but seems to be an even harder runner now than before as you would expect from someone more physically ready than he was 12 months ago.

With some of the older players like Johnson looking very sharp opportunities might still be difficult for the youngsters.

Thanks again for the report GVG .
Great news on Okeefe ,he seems an out & out footballer with natural talent who would be a very exiting player if he could get himself superfit.He still managed to win alot of the ball this year probably due to his reading of the play.He may be the sought of player that finds the ball easier to get at Afl level for that reason.
Bill Davoren paying divedends already it seems.
What do you think GVG?

Go_Dogs
21-12-2008, 12:42 PM
I'm getting very, very exciting about what Griffen may be able to do this year. He is a terrific footballer, and I think we may finally start to see the best out of him.

As always, many thanks for your report GVGjr.

LostDoggy
21-12-2008, 12:51 PM
Great report - thanks.

I am trying not to get too excited about 2009, but with reports like that it is difficult to keep the lid on things:)

LostDoggy
21-12-2008, 01:08 PM
I'm getting very, very exciting about what Griffen may be able to do this year. He is a terrific footballer, and I think we may finally start to see the best out of him.

As always, many thanks for your report GVGjr.

Agree, 20-22 games from Griff & we could have back to back Brownlow medallists!

GVGjr
21-12-2008, 01:14 PM
Thanks again for the report GVG .
Great news on Okeefe ,he seems an out & out footballer with natural talent who would be a very exiting player if he could get himself superfit.He still managed to win alot of the ball this year probably due to his reading of the play.He may be the sought of player that finds the ball easier to get at Afl level for that reason.
Bill Davoren paying divedends already it seems.
What do you think GVG?

At the moment he would be used as an impact player for 10 to 15 minutes per quarter but in time once his fitness and running improves we should see him develop into a very versatile player. He could be used off the half back in a role similar to Gilbee's and of course as a smallish goal kicking forward.

He's not there yet, but Davoren and Paul Williams should help fast track him along.

GVGjr
21-12-2008, 01:15 PM
Read in the paper today that Boumann had a shoulder operation, how did he look?

They break up on Tuesday and they are back on the 5th of January.

Boumann just ran laps, I didn't see him do much in the boxing which probably supports that he had the shoulder operated on and it will be a lot of running that he will need to work on for a while yet.

LostDoggy
21-12-2008, 02:24 PM
At the moment he would be used as an impact player for 10 to 15 minutes per quarter but in time once his fitness and running improves we should see him develop into a very versatile player. He could be used off the half back in a role similar to Gilbee's and of course as a smallish goal kicking forward.

He's not there yet, but Davoren and Paul Williams should help fast track him along.

Thanks GVG, it will be great to see him & some other young pups in the NAB cup.
We didnt play any in last years Nab cup for memory which made us the odd team out
as it is the perfect stage to blood them.

Mantis
21-12-2008, 02:46 PM
Thanks GVG, it will be great to see him & some other young pups in the NAB cup.
We didnt play any in last years Nab cup for memory which made us the odd team out
as it is the perfect stage to blood them.

It will be a different story this year.

We have 2 trips to Perth in the first 4 games of the official season so I don't think we will be taking many of our experienced players to Darwin for a NAB Cup game in energy sapping conditions.

Our younger guys will no doubt get a chance to shine in this game.

Bulldog Revolution
21-12-2008, 05:14 PM
He could be used off the half back in a role similar to Gilbee's and of course as a smallish goal kicking forward.

Cheers for the insights into OKeefe

He's one I hadn't even thought of the for the half back playmaker role, but you are right to suggest he could be a candidate - he looked to have a pretty neat left foot when I saw him last year but I'm not sure how much depth he has with his kicking yet

GVGjr
21-12-2008, 05:21 PM
Cheers for the insights into OKeefe

He's one I hadn't even thought of the for the half back playmaker role, but you are right to suggest he could be a candidate - he looked to have a pretty neat left foot when I saw him last year but I'm not sure how much depth he has with his kicking yet

You're probably right about kicking depth and he would play the role a bit more like Nathan Brown did than Gilbee does I suppose.

Topdog
21-12-2008, 05:50 PM
Pretty tough for anyone to play it the way Gilbee does. The guy has such a brilliant kick.

Bulldog Revolution
21-12-2008, 09:30 PM
You're probably right about kicking depth and he would play the role a bit more like Nathan Brown did than Gilbee does I suppose.

I was thinking perhaps similar to Guerra, so we've both picked out lefties

He's probably a bit quicker, but then Guerra has proved a lot of people wrong and created a good niche for himself with the Hawks

But then Topdog is probably right - we've been spoilt with Gilbee, he sets such a high standard for footskills it's hard to imagine many doing it as well, let alone better

Sedat
22-12-2008, 11:39 AM
He's been Dogs BOG in 3 of the 5 finals we've played since 2006. He is going to be a special player.

Twodogs
22-12-2008, 12:09 PM
Stopped by training this morning for half and hour or so on my way to somewhere else.

The boys worked did lots of work on their skills. The wind was blowing in that fierce Whitten Oval way and most of the guys were having real trouble controlling their kicks into the breeze but Jarod Harbrow isnt human. He didnt miss a target with any of his kicks.

GVGjr
23-12-2008, 01:08 PM
I had another look today but it was mainly team running by squaring off the Blue, White, Red and iridescent yellow teams in several different contests.

Cross dominated the first running drill which was to see how many laps could be run in a set time. Callan ran very well and Williams ran a terrific last lap where he made up significant ground on Cross and passed many others.

There was running drills up and down the EJ Whitten stand steps, 100 metre sprints and even 100 metre sprints carrying a 20kg weight mainly performed in pairs.

There was a variety of other cross training activities as well.

Mantis
23-12-2008, 02:27 PM
I had another look today but it was mainly team running by squaring off the Blue, White, Red and iridescent yellow teams in several different contests.

Cross dominated the first running drill which was to see how many laps could be run in a set time. Callan ran very well and Williams ran a terrific last lap where he made up significant ground on Cross and passed many others.

There was running drills up and down the EJ Whitten stand steps, 100 metre sprints and even 100 metre sprints carrying a 20kg weight mainly performed in pairs.

There was a variety of other cross training activities as well.

In the sessions I have seen I have been really impressed by Tom's speed & stamina. If (big if) he stays fit I think we can expect big things from Tom next season.

GVGjr
23-12-2008, 02:45 PM
In the sessions I have seen I have been really impressed by Tom's speed & stamina. If (big if) he stays fit I think we can expect big things from Tom next season.

We always knew he had a reputation for stamina but his leg speed is impressive given his size.

The Coon Dog
04-01-2009, 10:06 PM
Training for Monday 5 Jan.

9am - Time Trial at Princes Park.

11am - Skills at Whitten Oval.

All welcome.

Mantis
04-01-2009, 10:25 PM
^^^

Can I have $50 on Crossy to win the TT?

ledge
04-01-2009, 10:32 PM
^^^

Can I have $50 on Crossy to win the TT?

Yep and if you win i will give you $25,(bit like the pokies, you bet 50, get 20 back and it says you won!)

BornInDroopSt'54
06-01-2009, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the reports guys, they are oustanding. It's great to know the team has such supporters with excellent knowledge and perception. I'm an oldER dog, born in '54, now in Frankston and unlikely to make it to pre-season training, but am straining at the bit at the prospect of us improving on 08 with improvements out of Griffen, Williams, Higgins, Johnno, Hill and Addison.
I'll be happy if the only reports I get are off this forum, because it'll mean no injuries.

LostDoggy
06-01-2009, 05:08 PM
Did anyone go yesterday?

Report would be awesome! :)

bornadog
07-01-2009, 12:01 AM
Thanks for the reports guys, they are oustanding. It's great to know the team has such supporters with excellent knowledge and perception. I'm an oldER dog, born in '54, now in Frankston and unlikely to make it to pre-season training, but am straining at the bit at the prospect of us improving on 08 with improvements out of Griffen, Williams, Higgins, Johnno, Hill and Addison.
I'll be happy if the only reports I get are off this forum, because it'll mean no injuries.

Welcome aboard

The Coon Dog
22-01-2009, 02:19 PM
Training tomorrow (Fri) is at 10am at the Whitten Oval. Will be a good one if you can make it, 4 x 8min quarters of match practice.

Afterwards a tough running session through Edgewater, then a 3 day break.

GVGjr
22-01-2009, 02:32 PM
Training tomorrow (Fri) is at 10am at the Whitten Oval. Will be a good one if you can make it, 4 x 8min quarters of match practice.

Afterwards a tough running session through Edgewater, then a 3 day break.

Strange that they are not training on Saturday or Monday.

The Coon Dog
22-01-2009, 02:37 PM
Strange that they are not training on Saturday or Monday.
They have trained really solidly & will appreciate a break. The running component starts to lighten from next week & more emphasis on ball work.