B: McMahon, Harris, Morris

HB: Gilbee, Hargrave, Griffen

C: Eagleton, West, Giansiracusa

HF: Murphy, Grant, Akermanis

F: Darcy, Johnson, Robbins

FOLL: Street, Cooney, Cross

I/C: Minson, Boyd, Higgins, Ray

EMG: Montgomery, McDougall, Hahn

Hargrave is at CHB and the backline looks too short to me.

But could a fit Hargrave play CHB or is he too short and slight?

Mofra
15-03-2007, 12:44 PM
He has played at CHB before, but only as an undersized plan B because we had nobody else. Wight has stepped up, Doogs could be tried there, Granty could go back on some of the slower players.

I don't think Grant could play a full game at CHF anymore either - certainly not the style or forward structure we employ.

firstdogonthemoon
15-03-2007, 02:04 PM
How good is it to have someone like Monty as an emergency.

Its just depth depth depth at the moment.

Try saying that six times quickly.

Go_Dogs
15-03-2007, 04:33 PM
That team sheet is pretty far off the mark if you ask me. No way will Hargrave be playing the role of 2nd tall defender this season. Harris, Wight, Morris Hargrave and Grant will be our tall options, but Hargrave is already looking very fit and fast - and IMO will take over Griff's role from the half back flank to some extent, especially given he'll no longer need to play on such tall opposition.

Don't be surprised if some other names such as Williams or Darcy are used back a bit too...but that's all conjecture at this stage.

alwaysadog
15-03-2007, 05:20 PM
That team sheet is pretty far off the mark if you ask me. No way will Hargrave be playing the role of 2nd tall defender this season. Harris, Wight, Morris Hargrave and Grant will be our tall options, but Hargrave is already looking very fit and fast - and IMO will take over Griff's role from the half back flank to some extent, especially given he'll no longer need to play on such tall opposition.

Don't be surprised if some other names such as Williams or Darcy are used back a bit too...but that's all conjecture at this stage.

Barring long term injuries to defensive talls I like you hope Shaggy's days in a KP are over. He would be so much more valuable looking after someone his own size and being creative. I would like to see him as part of the rotation that spends some time up forward because he would be difficult to handle as a third or fourth tall up forward, which IMO he can manage as he has the pace and defensive skills to be a menace there.

Go_Dogs
15-03-2007, 05:48 PM
Another good point alwaysadog, Hargrave has shown in glimpses that he could be effective in the forward line, however due to our wealth of forward option and lack of backline options, he has never been able to play much more than the very rare cameo up forward.

alwaysadog
15-03-2007, 05:57 PM
Has anyone seen today's HUN they picked their idea of our best team. Is it similar or different to the one we have been discussing?

southerncross
15-03-2007, 06:04 PM
Hargrave is at CHB and the backline looks too short to me.

But could a fit Hargrave play CHB or is he too short and slight?

How would you structure up the backline assuming everyone is available?

I will write in the Inside Footy Bulldogs team a bit later. It has a different look

alwaysadog
15-03-2007, 06:25 PM
How would you structure up the backline assuming everyone is available?

I will write in the Inside Footy Bulldogs team a bit later. It has a different look

Flanks and pockets: McMahon, Hargrave, Morris, Gilbee

FB: Harris

CHB (Rotation and depending on opponents) early season Grant, McDougal and Wight
later on add Williams

southerncross
15-03-2007, 07:26 PM
This is the Inside Footballs version of the Bulldogs best team.

Morris, Harris, Grant
McMahon, Hargrave, Gilbee
Cooney, West, Giansiracusa,
Murphy, McDougall, Johnson
Akermanis, Darcy, Ray

Minson, Griffen, Cross

Wight, Eagleton, Robbins, Boyd

No Higgins and not a mention of Hahn or Street

mjp
15-03-2007, 09:40 PM
No issue from me. He has done a good job there, and is as good a match-up as we have on many of the 'lead-up' CHF's (O'Keefe, Riewoldt, Hansen etc) as we have.

southerncross
15-03-2007, 10:15 PM
No issue from me. He has done a good job there, and is as good a match-up as we have on many of the 'lead-up' CHF's (O'Keefe, Riewoldt, Hansen etc) as we have.

I don't have a problem with him being at CHB either. In an ideal situation we could play him in a variety of other positions but he's more than OK at CHB. How do you think he would go as a forward or even as a winger?

GVGjr
16-03-2007, 08:55 PM
Hey DR, this was Mike Sheehans Bulldog line-up. Is this more to your liking for the back line?

McMahon, Harris, Morris
Gilbee, Grant, Hargrave
Boyd, West, Eagleton
Akermanis, Murphy, Giansiracusa
Darcy, Johnson, Cooney

Street, Griffen, Cross

Ray, Minson, Higgins and Wight.

The emergencies are Power, Hahn and Robbins
No McDougall or Montgomery

Dry Rot
16-03-2007, 09:06 PM
Hey DR, this was Mike Sheehans Bulldog line-up. Is this more to your liking for the back line?

McMahon, Harris, Morris
Gilbee, Grant, Hargrave
Boyd, West, Eagleton
Akermanis, Murphy, Giansiracusa
Darcy, Johnson, Cooney

Street, Griffen, Cross

Ray, Minson, Higgins and Wight.

The emergencies are Power, Hahn and Robbins
No McDougall or Montgomery

Yep, although many would claim that grant is past full games at CHB.

alwaysadog
16-03-2007, 09:17 PM
Yep, although many would claim that grant is past full games at CHB.

I would suggest that no one will play full games at CHB because no one plays the whole game at CHF. Even Tredders and Browny spend time elsewhere. It's too soon to say how Grant's body and endurance are holding up but he more than accounted for Rocca in the Final last year. IMO he will spend time in defence and we would prefer him to float and find the ball with the ease he has shown over his career but till someone else puts their hand up he will have to spend time at CHB during games. That said he will, as he did last year, also spend time up forward and on the bench. It wouldn't surprise me if Darce din't spend time there as well.

dog town
16-03-2007, 10:02 PM
Cant we just call him a defender who can play on a variety of different opponents? Positions are meaningless IMO and as far as I am concerned he is just another versatile defender to the mix. I am keen to see just how much his ankle impacted on him last year because I thought his 2005 was a bit better.

bornadog
17-03-2007, 01:55 PM
This is the Inside Footballs version of the Bulldogs best team.

No Higgins and not a mention of Hahn or Street

or Power, Robbins

bornadog
17-03-2007, 01:57 PM
No way can Hargrave be CHB, he is too short. Grant will be ok but, I fear time is catching up with the old Champ. Grant may even be better at FullBack in some games and Harris to CHB depending on the opposition.