PDA

View Full Version : Pre-season report: Bulldogs

BulldogBelle
22-12-2008, 03:58 PM
Good article....

Pre-season report: Bulldogs (http://afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=71062)
AFL Site
Jennifer Witham
Mon 22 December, 2008

THE BULLDOGS took their summer training to the United States this year, after a solid six-week block of training that followed their courageous loss to Geelong in the preliminary final.

Arrivals

Onfield: Ayce Cordy, Jordan Roughead, Liam Jones, Jamason Daniels (rookie), Liam Picken (rookie), Chris Ogle (rookie)
Off-field: Paul Williams (assistant coach – forward line), Bill Davoren (head of physical conditioning), Chris Maple (development coach)

Departures

Onfield: Scott West (retired), Andrew McDougall (retired), Peter Street (delisted), Gavin Hughes (rookie – delisted), Farren Ray (traded to St Kilda for selection No.31 in the NAB AFL Draft)
Off-field: Cameron Falloon (head of physical performance), Wayne Campbell (assistant coach), Scott Clayton (recruiting manager)

Pre-season training started: Friday November 14

Training resumes post-Christmas: Monday January 5

Medical room

Robert Murphy (knee): "He's tracking along well after his knee operation at the start of October. He's skipping now and he'll be looking to run in early January. Everything is on track with him for the start of the season. He hasn't had any setbacks."

Adam Cooney (knee): "He's running after a knee operation in the second week in October. He's probably going to resume training after Christmas."

Brian Lake (hip): "He had an operation at the end of the season and started running the other day. He'll look to resume full training about halfway through January. He's going okay and is on track."

Daniel Giansiracusa (hip): "He was very minor compared to Lake, and he's on the bike and will be back training first week in January. He'll run over the Christmas break, so it's only a minor setback for him."

Andrejs Everitt (shin): "Has been a little sore but he's still training and we'll ease him back in."

Stephen Tiller (shin): "Same as Andrejs. He's been doing everything but recently he's got a little bit sore and he'll be back soon."

James Mulligan (hamstring): "He'll be back before Christmas."

Brennan Stack (groin): "He's coming back from a groin (injury), didn't have an operation but was sore so he'll resume training towards the end of next week ."

Tim Callan (ankle): "Rolled his ankle the other day, very minor, will be back before Christmas."

- Leon Cameron, assistant coach

[B]Who's burning?

"Shaun Higgins has had an outstanding pre-season and we've been very impressed with him. Lindsay Gilbee, Boydy and Crossy and the typical group have also been training well.

"I'm also very impressed with Adam Cooney and his approach to his rehab. He's been outstanding, as has Murph in getting back. We're looking forward to both of them getting back into the main group after Christmas.

"Generally, I can't fault any of them. I've been really impressed with them as a group, and I was told that before I arrived. Their work ethic has been outstanding and it's been a challenging pre-season with the US trip that made things not the normal sort of sequence and flow of training.

“As a group, I know I've singled a few out, but that doesn't undersell any of them. They've all been very impressive."

- Bill Davoren, head of physical conditioning

Pre-season training camps

The Bulldogs had a week-long training camp in Arizona (involving time spent in high altitude conditions). Starting in late November, the camp took them through to the final two-week block of training leading into the Christmas break.

Pre-season training overview

"Obviously within the rules they've got to start later [than last year], so we've got a fairly hectic six weeks, Arizona, and then we'll be setting some fairly strict targets and training responsibilities over the Christmas break.

"We did a lot of testing in the first week to assess their basic fitness components, and then we used that to prescribe the type of training, specifically the running and the weights.

"Then we'll try and integrate with the football coaches to work on how we can combine the running and the football skill work.

"They'll go from running to skills and they'll go back to running again, so they're integrated sessions.

"What I've done in the conditioning department is give the responsibility of strength training to Luke Meehan [sports science and physical performance assistant] so he can drive that very strongly, and that's going to continue.

"We've already tested them and we've got some positive information back from that, and we're using that to prescribe weights.

"Weights is a focus for the off-season, as will be running. They'll be the two focuses; they're almost a cross-purpose, but it's our job to manage the balance between the two."

- Bill Davoren, head of physical conditioning

Where will they train post-Christmas:

The Bulldogs will hold the majority of their training sessions at Whitten Oval, travelling to Victoria University for pool sessions and BoxingFit in Port Melbourne for boxing and cross training sessions.

What assistant coach Leon Cameron says:

"You always want everyone on the track at this time of year, but overall, we're pretty happy.

"When some of your more experienced players are in rehab or not training, the younger lads grow a bit and they feel like they're a bit more responsible, so that's good.

"There is no concern with any of our players at this stage. We just have to get through the Christmas period and get some load into the players, and then when January and February come around, put it this way, if you've still got a few players on your rehab list, it can start to be concerning.

"But we're going well. There might be a couple of players compromised for the NAB Cup, like Murphy, but we won't risk them.

"Coons and Lake should be right to go, but if they've missed chunks of the pre-season, then they'll do a pre-season when they come back and if that means they miss games, they miss games.

"It's always good to win the NAB Cup and NAB Cup games, but we want to make sure we're right for round one."

bornadog
22-12-2008, 04:44 PM
Long Medical room list, lets hope they all recover for a half decent preseason.

Great to see Higgins burning up the track, hopefully will be in for a big year.

GVGjr
22-12-2008, 08:33 PM
Interesting that they haven't listed Welsh in the medical room update because he has been on light duties for a while.

azabob
22-12-2008, 09:48 PM
In Sunday's age Eade said he was happy with Grant's, Reid and Wards pre season. I dont think Eade is one to hand out compliments easy? So all goes well for those younger types.

Cameron said of the older players Johnson, Hudson, Griffen, Higgins and Minson are travelling well. Oh yeah GRGjr Welsh is listed on the injured or easing back in list with a back injury.

Bulldog Revolution
23-12-2008, 06:56 AM
The injury list is a bit of a worry, particularly given the top 3 are arguably our 3 most important players (e.g the key to our forward line, midfield, and backline)

Hopefully Cooney and Murphy are being super professional as mentioned because they are matchwinners

I have faith in Gia to get himself right. His season last year coming off a very limited preseason due to the frayed ACL was outstanding.

Bulldog Revolution
23-12-2008, 06:57 AM
Interesting that they haven't listed Welsh in the medical room update because he has been on light duties for a while.

We never list everyone - you know that better than most

Twodogs
23-12-2008, 12:08 PM
Gee that's a worringly long list for this time of year.

Although we do play ducks and drakes with our injuries more than most clubs.

LostDoggy
23-12-2008, 03:07 PM
With repect to the Ins and Outs of he field - who is replacing Clayton?

bornadog
23-12-2008, 03:17 PM
With repect to the Ins and Outs of he field - who is replacing Clayton?

Simon Dalrymple

GVGjr
23-12-2008, 04:18 PM
Simon Dalrymple
Dalrymple was at the training session today putting a few of the players through some drills.

One of the drills was 4 players standing about 20mtrs in front of the two goal and two point posts and trying to hit them with their kicks with the support people relaying the ball back to them quickly. I watched for a bout 5 minutes and didn't see any of them hit their target.

Chris Maple from the Ballarat Rebels has replaced Dalyrmple as the Development coach and he will have a lot of work to do.

LostDoggy
23-12-2008, 04:26 PM
Dalrymple was at the training session today putting a few of the players through some drills.

One of the drills was 4 players standing about 20mtrs in front of the two goal and two point posts and trying to hit them with their kicks with the support people relaying the ball back to them quickly. I watched for a bout 5 minutes and didn't see any of them hit their target.

Chris Maple from the Ballarat Rebels has replaced Dalyrmple as the Development coach and he will have a lot of work to do.

Probably a difficult task after years of trying to miss them